What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (4 Viewers)

For a thread where books don't exist people sure complain a lot about where the show has gone since the books stopped.  I can only imagine how you all would be if the show stopped suddenly where the books left off.  

He's implying that the ending is something that everyone will be pissed about after he read the spoilers. Should have been I've read the spoilers, [tag it] his reaction [tag it].
His reaction would be completely dependent upon his view of the show and how we wants it to go. :shrug:  

His reaction would be completely dependent upon his view of the show and how we wants it to go. :shrug:  
So, most don't want any reactions to the end of something that they are this invested in. It's like going in the the Marvel thread and going....saw EndGame....boy are you all going to be sad/disappointed/pissed/etc....

ETA he also implied that however it ends he agrees with how Rose felt about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Concepcion on Binge Mode made a really interesting/strong criticism of season 7, but I think it's applicable to recent events:

When Dany and Co. came west, it wasn't a fair fight. They would've had Cersei outta there in an episode's time with three dragons, and anti-dragon technology in a very primitive stage. So they had to have the whole ridiculous side mission of getting the wight and bringing it back to try to convince Cersei to join up, which they should've known there was at least a chance of not happening, lost a dragon in the process, which then evened up the Battle of The Dead, where they lost most of the Unsullied/Dothraki. They win that, but now they've got 1 3/4 dragons. And then boom Euron and now they're down to 1 dragon, and King's Landing, meanwhile, has made incredible leaps in air defense (much as I love that weirdo Qyburn, doesn't seem like he's the Da Vinci of Westeros).

Now we're on pretty even footing, which is where the show creators have been jumping through hoops to get to for a season and a half. But I think it could've been just as compelling if they'd dispatched with Cersei and UTILIZED THE LANNISTER'S/CROWN'S RESOURCES/ARMY THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF JUST HOPING CERSEI WOULD GO ALONG WITH THEM to fight the Army of the Dead. Wa la. And even if you have them coming that battle ok, I think there's a lot of really interesting story to tell. And they wouldn't have to pack into two episodes or less.

For a thread where books don't exist people sure complain a lot about where the show has gone since the books stopped.  I can only imagine how you all would be if the show stopped suddenly where the books left off.  
You don't have to imagine. Go into the other thread if you want to find out how we all feel about the story stopping suddenly where the books left off.

I swear...if the wolves from Twilight show up and save the day....I'm going to be PISSED!
I'm actually hoping that Selene comes out of nowhere and it turns out the direwolves were pulling the strings the whole time in an ancient battle between the dead and the wolves.

Plus, it's Kate Beckinsale, so, like uber winning.

Given the enormity of the army they were going against and the fact that they were already dead to begin with, only losing half your troops that started the battle down 3-1 is actually pretty solid. Especially given the piss poor tactics involved. Figure you lose two major armies int he first half hour of battle, finishing with half your men is pretty good.

I also think that's bull####. The asembled Unsullied in front of KL's last episode is more along the lines of what I was thinking was left of the entire force given the battle scenes we saw.
Yes, I was being a wee bit sarcastic in regards to how much of their forces they claimed were remaining.

The night king wasn't actually the first white walker. When they killed him it killed his army but there is another bigger army hiding underwater outside king's landing, and it just got Roger the dragon or whatever its name was. The warring armies turn to fight it but it's too late.  Then jon snow comes back and kills the real night king. 

Imo.

Is there any question that the spinoffs will be horrible?
Yes.  We've now seen a really good spinoff of a great show be arguably pretty close to the original in Better Call Saul. 

I'd be very interested in the backstory to the children of the forest and their original battle with the humans. Robert's rebellion would also be pretty good. 

Yes.  We've now seen a really good spinoff of a great show be arguably pretty close to the original in Better Call Saul. 

I'd be very interested in the backstory to the children of the forest and their original battle with the humans. Robert's rebellion would also be pretty good. 
Yeah I think the spinoffs will be great.  It will be nice to get more of the backstory of these things you mention assuming they take their time and do it right.

If they're based on book I'd agree not if they're written by the same writers that have botched this show I don't see how it's possible. The show used to be Shakespeare and now it's just typical Hollywood stuff. 

Jason Concepcion on Binge Mode made a really interesting/strong criticism of season 7, but I think it's applicable to recent events:

When Dany and Co. came west, it wasn't a fair fight. They would've had Cersei outta there in an episode's time with three dragons, and anti-dragon technology in a very primitive stage. So they had to have the whole ridiculous side mission of getting the wight and bringing it back to try to convince Cersei to join up, which they should've known there was at least a chance of not happening, lost a dragon in the process, which then evened up the Battle of The Dead, where they lost most of the Unsullied/Dothraki. They win that, but now they've got 1 3/4 dragons. And then boom Euron and now they're down to 1 dragon, and King's Landing, meanwhile, has made incredible leaps in air defense (much as I love that weirdo Qyburn, doesn't seem like he's the Da Vinci of Westeros).

Now we're on pretty even footing, which is where the show creators have been jumping through hoops to get to for a season and a half. But I think it could've been just as compelling if they'd dispatched with Cersei and UTILIZED THE LANNISTER'S/CROWN'S RESOURCES/ARMY THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF JUST HOPING CERSEI WOULD GO ALONG WITH THEM to fight the Army of the Dead. Wa la. And even if you have them coming that battle ok, I think there's a lot of really interesting story to tell. And they wouldn't have to pack into two episodes or less.
this was all tyrion and his terrible hand-ing

Robert Rebellion is the only thing close to having any source material.

Seriously...wtf
Sorry but this is laughable.  It's no different than the dozens of articles that have been released where the stars of the show give their reactions to the ending.  If you consider that a spoiler, why are you even on the internet much less reading a discussion thread.  

If they're based on book I'd agree not if they're written by the same writers that have botched this show I don't see how it's possible. The show used to be Shakespeare and now it's just typical Hollywood stuff. 
I prefer Hollywood to Shakespeare. Eff that guy

Arya hit Nymeria with a rock.  But, hey, at least she got a hug.  
Maybe Jon was too pained to do it. But I have a feeling from that Tormund scene (pure speculation, no spoiler) than ####'s gonna go down in King's Landing, and Jon's just going to bail on all of it and go live north beyond the wall with Tormund, Ghost, and the other homies.

I'm behind on this thread but does anyone feel the Iron Bank comes into play and gives up on Cersei?  

Is there any question that the spinoffs will be horrible?
I find it mildly interesting that people are pissed at GRRM for not continuing with the books, but the show runners for GOT have also basically decided that they just want to move onto something else and wrap this up.  They easily could have gone on a little longer or at least let so of these storylines breathe at the end of the game - examples like Jaime's weird turn in the span of 10mins.  I get what the intent was with Jaime - he was still struggling with feeling like he's worth being happy considering his past crimes, still drawn to Cersei (if not full on love, at least in the sense of being there if she is in great trouble?), etc.  IMO in the past seasons, that would have been a season-long arc, not 10mins of an episode.  

Long story short, I agree with what you are getting at.   IMO they couldn't nail the landing even though they were given the backbone and the outline of where to end it.  I don't have confidence they can pull of original content in the same universe.  

Tried listening to the binge mode podcast for GoT and it’s worse than this thread. Just some geek screaming into the mic for 45 minutes and making annoying sound effects like the guy in Police Academy. 

Is there anybody watching this show who is capable of acting like a human?

Do you thing the show will address the possible extinction of dragons once again? All Dany dragons had male names but not sure they showed any fancy dragon parts.

Fantasy lore has dragons able to change genders and/or lay eggs autonomously but certainly hasn't been even a hint in the show and with two episodes left I think not a lot of new storylines can be added.  

I suppose Drogon, while gone from Essos for a long time, could've been off laying some eggs.

Whether Drogon makes it thru the series or not, are dragons set to be once again extinct and forgotten?

Do you thing the show will address the possible extinction of dragons once again? All Dany dragons had male names but not sure they showed any fancy dragon parts.

Fantasy lore has dragons able to change genders and/or lay eggs autonomously but certainly hasn't been even a hint in the show and with two episodes left I think not a lot of new storylines can be added.  

I suppose Drogon, while gone from Essos for a long time, could've been off laying some eggs.

Whether Drogon makes it thru the series or not, are dragons set to be once again extinct and forgotten?
Thought I read that the dragons are technically gender fluid or gender neutral and we're not sure if they laid eggs or not.

Also, I read something about eggs being somewhere else that could possible be found.  Could just be speculation.

Sorry but this is laughable.  It's no different than the dozens of articles that have been released where the stars of the show give their reactions to the ending.  If you consider that a spoiler, why are you even on the internet much less reading a discussion thread.  
It's really not laughable and no I am not reading articles about people who are reacting to the leaked ending. It's really f'ing easy to spoiler tag something.

Tried listening to the binge mode podcast for GoT and it’s worse than this thread. Just some geek screaming into the mic for 45 minutes and making annoying sound effects like the guy in Police Academy. 

Is there anybody watching this show who is capable of acting like a human?
:hey:

That's the popular fan theory out now.

I'm ok one way or the other. Actually more interested in where the originals came from and are there more? Link below says they came from the Shadow Lands where dragons are purported to still exist.

https://www.quora.com/Who-gave-the-dragon-eggs-to-Daenerys

Users who are viewing this thread