What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers (1 Viewer)

The bottom line is Gore can break through to a second line of defense, whereas no other RB's the 49ers have had other than Gore during his "era" could. This is what I mean by he being able to run in a caveman pancake offense, since it was all "Gore up the middle" in horrid schemes for years, and was still able to become the 49ers all time leading rusher. There hasn't been a more important gear to the 49er offense than Frank Gore, even with Vernon Davis. That might not mean squat to you FF guys, but that's why you play FF, and he plays real football.
I'm just curious -- does this save his job? I think he has run well this year against some tough defenses. I also think Hyde flashes great talent. What's your take?
Gore's job is never in question. Go ahead and look up the production of every other RB in SF outside of Gore during the same time. You'll pretty much find a host of nobody's who couldn't replace him. You'll also find a host of QB's, OC's and HC's who also aren't in SF anymore. He's been more important to the 49ers offense than Watters, Hearst, and Garner simply because he has more of an impact on wins with lesser teams than the aforementioned RB's had, other than Roger Craig. In fact, he also has been a great receptor out of the backfield until Harbaugh's offense, which hardly has any throws to an RB.

Is he Adrian Peterson? No, but Adrian Peterson has never played under Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz, Jimmy Raye, and Greg Roman as OC's throughout his career as well as Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, and now Jim Harbaugh who depend on Gore with the carousel of offense and QB's, most of who haven't even been able to match even Jeff Garcia as a passer. People think than all an RB does is "here is ball, run with ball", but blocking schemes, timing routes, etc., all depend on whether you can run things such as play action. Gore has been able to adapt to all the change in SF, is again their all time leading rusher, and is pretty much still the gear much needed. The only thing that stops Gore is injuries, a bad offensive line, a bad defense to which he has played under many that keeps his touches away, but even with that, the 49ers still, even with Hyde, can't keep Gore from starting. Why? Because Kaepernick needs Gore. Like Alex Smith needed Gore. Because the QB's themselves need Gore, and can't help make a Hunter, James or Hyde replace him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line is Gore can break through to a second line of defense, whereas no other RB's the 49ers have had other than Gore during his "era" could. This is what I mean by he being able to run in a caveman pancake offense, since it was all "Gore up the middle" in horrid schemes for years, and was still able to become the 49ers all time leading rusher. There hasn't been a more important gear to the 49er offense than Frank Gore, even with Vernon Davis. That might not mean squat to you FF guys, but that's why you play FF, and he plays real football.
I'm just curious -- does this save his job? I think he has run well this year against some tough defenses. I also think Hyde flashes great talent. What's your take?
In fact, he also has been a great receptor out of the backfield until Harbaugh's offense, which hardly has any throws to an RB.
Which is a shame, have seen a bunch of dump offs that could go for easy yards but Kaepernick never even bothers to look there. He would rather rocket a 8o mph fastball incomplete than let his RB get an easy reception in space.

Off the top of my head, a list of QB's who Gore became the 49ers all time leading rusher:

Tim Rattay

Alex Smith

Trent Dilfer

Chris Wienke

JT O'Sullivan

Shaun Hill

Troy Smith

Colin Kaepernick

Scrubs not worth mentioning or remembering

-There lies a murderers row of QB's-

In fact, he also has been a great receptor out of the backfield until Harbaugh's offense, which hardly has any throws to an RB.
Which is a shame, have seen a bunch of dump offs that could go for easy yards but Kaepernick never even bothers to look there. He would rather rocket a 8o mph fastball incomplete than let his RB get an easy reception in space.
It's Harbaugh's offense, period. Alex Smith tossed more balls to Gore under Norv Turner than he did with Harbaugh. 61 receptions in 2006 to 17 in 2011.

hi drummer,

not knocking on gore by any means as I think on and off the field he is top notch.

bottom line though, it appears the coach feels obligated to throw the ball instead of run and the rb position in non existing for the most part in the passing game.

bring in the move to get hyde more carries isn't turning out so good for frank.

I don't doubt his skill set at all, just how he is being used. you have a back that used to catch 50 balls a year to being an afterthought.

hi drummer,

not knocking on gore by any means as I think on and off the field he is top notch.

bottom line though, it appears the coach feels obligated to throw the ball instead of run and the rb position in non existing for the most part in the passing game.

bring in the move to get hyde more carries isn't turning out so good for frank.

I don't doubt his skill set at all, just how he is being used. you have a back that used to catch 50 balls a year to being an afterthought.
Well, it remains to be seen if the 49ers can transition back to a QB dependent team, which in all honesty, they were being built as Steelers West. That isn't a bad thing, but they are predicated on the run game and defense as an identity, which is far removed from the old Dynasty era. It just depends on which Dynasty you choose, lol. Being the Steelers West isn't a bad thing.

BTW, being the 49ers all time leading rusher is one of the greatest achievements in the history of the 49ers and Pro Football. We're talking Million Dollar Backfield, and such. Fantasy football isn't about real achievements such as this. It would be a sad day for any sport for a player to be weighed on whether you made a stupid trade in FF, and FF should be what it always will be: not near as important to sports, but just another way to eek more dollars out of your pocket.

Evan Silva, Rotoworld:

. In the 49ers' last game before their Week 8 bye, they used a true RBBC between Gore and Hyde. Gore handled six touches among 28 snaps, while Hyde played 23 downs and touched the football five times. The awkward playing-time and usage distribution may have resulted from game flow -- the Niners fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter and wound up losing 42-17 -- but it was noticeable that Gore was on the sideline in many critical situations. Have the 49ers' transitioned to a full-blown timeshare in the backfield? I expect to find out this week. The Rams have a defense the Niners should be able to successfully attack on the ground, as St. Louis ranks 31st against the run with eight rushing TDs allowed in seven games. Gore is a solid flex option, but Hyde should be stashed in all leagues. As Gore has been held under 2.5 yards per carry in back-to-back games and was so frequently not on the field against Denver, it's fair to wonder if there's been a changing of the guard.
After strong weeks 4 and 5, had very poor outings in weeks 6 and 7. Does he get back on track vs StL, NO, NYG, and WSH before facing SEA? Or has the ship sailed and he become more just bench depth (except in a heavy bye week like this one)?

Somewhere in the middle, 15 carries a game, no defined goal line role, no receptions to speak of and riding the pine in 4th quarters where they have the lead. Big game here or there but peaks and valleys and crossing your fingers every time you start him its not his dud.

Id love to see him take on a Bradshaw type role with another team next year. Give him 10 carries a game, hurry up and red zone offense and utilize his ability catching passes out of the back field. He needs a coaching staff that appreciates a running back other than running plays up the gut over and over.

Goal to go to win the game and Harbaugh ignores him. Sums up his season to this point, keep resting Gore for the playoffs Jimmy.

MMQB Excerpt:

“I was stunned … that they didn’t use Frank Gore.” Gut Punch Loss of the Day: San Francisco can’t get the ball into the end zone for the win on three tries from inside the two-yard line in the final minutes, and Colin Kaepernick fumbles on a quarterback sneak on the third play. Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis recovers. St. Louis 13, San Francisco 10. Laurinaitis said he was “stunned” that Gore, the Niners’ power-running back, never got a touch in the final minute. “He’s one of the best backs in football at falling forward,” Laurinaitis told me from California. The Niners (4-4), three games and a lost tiebreaker behind Arizona in the NFC West this morning, now realistically have to play for an NFC Wild Card.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

The "sense" around the 49ers is that Frank Gore will "suddenly" be remembered for Sunday's game at New Orleans.

Gore hasn't scored a rushing touchdown since Week 2 and is averaging just 13.0 carries per game across his last three. The problem is the 31-year-old hasn't been very effective (2.74 YPC over the last three games) and the 49ers could very well find themselves trailing in the Superdome, where the Saints are a 5.5 point favorite. Just because the coaches want to feature Gore doesn't mean they'll do it successfully, leaving him as a low-upside flex play only. The Saints have a top-10 run defense.

Source: ESPN.com

Nov 7 - 7:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore rushed 23 times for 81 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' Week 10 win over the Saints, adding a two-yard reception.

The carries were Gore's most since Week 4, but he wore down after a hot start. He was limited to just 25 yards on his final 10 touches, and got the rock only once in the game's final 13 minutes. Backup Carlos Hyde rushed four times for 36 yards and a touchdown, with three of his carries coming in overtime. Gore will be a low-end RB2/FLEX for next week's trip to the Meadowlands to take on the Giants.

Nov 9 - 5:54 PM

Gore is averaging 4.1 YPC - Hyde is averaging 3.8. I honestly don't understand the thought process that suggests "Gore's done and Hyde is the man".

First off, I'm not so sure Gore is done - and secondly, I have seen little from Hyde that suggests he is a bonafied NFL starter.

Gore is averaging 4.1 YPC - Hyde is averaging 3.8. I honestly don't understand the thought process that suggests "Gore's done and Hyde is the man".

First off, I'm not so sure Gore is done - and secondly, I have seen little from Hyde that suggests he is a bonafied NFL starter.
Gore isn't done at this point, but at age 31, you wonder when he will hit the point when he drops off the cliff and you have to have someone who fits your system in the wings. Happens to all RBs.

Obviously not as quick as he once was, but amazing vision and cutting ability still make him a solid back. Plus he's excellent in blitz pick up.

As far as Hyde, small sample size and he has been more effective the last couple games. I think he will be a very good back going forward, but those expecting a Gore like career will probably be disappointed. Gore has always been under appreciated since he played his prime years on a really crappy team with mostly crappy offensive lines. Even more amazing career when you calculate in the ACL injuries on both knees in college and the fact that and ACL injury was a virtual career death sentence for a RB at that time.

Would like to see 25-35 carries a game out of Gore and Hyde the rest of the way. D is playing well despite Willis being out and if they get their running game going, they have a good shot at the playoffs.

I think its pretty obvious that they have put Gore on a "pitch count", anticipating this last stretch run (especially the two games against Seattle in a short time span). I think the switch is going be flipped and they will run the snot out of him pretty soon and then be done with him at the end of the year.

Great back. Not a single thing not to like about him but from the business end, if you are I the office, you MUST be looking at his miles and age and just taking the calculated risk decision when the season ends.

Shutout said:
I think its pretty obvious that they have put Gore on a "pitch count", anticipating this last stretch run (especially the two games against Seattle in a short time span). I think the switch is going be flipped and they will run the snot out of him pretty soon and then be done with him at the end of the year.

Great back. Not a single thing not to like about him but from the business end, if you are I the office, you MUST be looking at his miles and age and just taking the calculated risk decision when the season ends.
There isn't anything from this current FO that shows me they know anything about offense.

Yeah that TD would've been nice for the 2 leagues where I started Gore over Crowell.

:pointstoshirt:

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore managed 39 yards on 13 carries in the 49ers' Week 12 loss to the Redskins.

The 49ers predictably had very little success running the ball on Washington's stout front. Gore contributed to San Francisco's turnover-filled day with a lost fumble in the fourth quarter. He was also "vultured" by Carlos Hyde on a fourth-quarter TD run, which proved the game winner. With a matchup against the Seahawks on deck, Gore will be a dicey bet as more than a low-expectations RB2/flex on Thanksgiving night. Gore is still a rock-solid all-around football player, but he's understandably lost a lot of "juice" as a runner during his age-31 season. He also wore down during last year's stretch run.

Nov 23 - 8:09 PM

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

Frank Gore rushed 10 times for 28 yards and caught one pass for eight yards Week 13 against the Seahawks.

Gore only saw three carries in the second half as the 49ers attempted to come from behind, and he struggled with the Seahawks' physical front all game. The 11 touches were the lowest for Gore since Week 7 against Denver. He will look to get back on track against Oakland Week 14.

Nov 28 - 12:02 AM

He is safe to cut in all leagues everywhere if he does not light up the Raiders. Dynasty and Redraft, doesnt matter the bench size.

He is safe to cut in all leagues everywhere if he does not light up the Raiders. Dynasty and Redraft, doesnt matter the bench size.
With the 3 stooges running the show (Harbug, Roman and K-stink) he cannot be trusted unless he calls out the play calling for the 50th time. That is when he has his best games.

Ever since these clowns arrived, they have totally neutralized part of Frank Gore's game. Catches per season before the 3 stooges: average of about 45.Catches with at least 1 stooge on the team: 17, 28, 16 and so far this year 9. Gore knows these 3 are morons and has called them out numerous times but Harbug thinks he's the big s**t when he's a simply a jobber. If he knew what the hell was going on, he would call for more plays to Frank thru the air and make him that dual threat he was before they arrived.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore is "moving through the concussion protocol," and expected to start Saturday's game against the Chargers.

Gore practiced on Thursday, getting in a limited session. It's excellent news for the 49ers, as Carlos Hyde (ankle, back) is expected to be sidelined. Struggling mightily in the second half of the season, Gore will be a middling FLEX play for the fantasy finals. He'll be backed up by FB Bruce Miller and Alfonso Smith.

Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Dec 18 - 4:53 PM

Gore's head has pounded under worse offensive lines and pancake offenses. That being said, it's his legs that I wouldn't bet on. He's back to carrying another lame duck head coach in the latter season. You may have to look at the statistics under the last few games of 2008 and 2010 to weigh it on.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore (concussion) is listed as questionable for Week 16.

He was limited in Friday's practice. The 49ers host the Chargers on Saturday Night Football. Beat writers are guessing Gore will play, but it's not a guarantee. Carlos Hyde has already been ruled out. If Gore does receive clearance by Saturday, he will be a high-end flex option against San Diego.

Dec 19 - 4:42 PM

Hope he gets clearance, willing to bet if he does hes in line for 20plus touches. SF should try to get him to 1000 yards (already at 800)

Anyone know when the actives for this game will be released? Will be at work all night and only limited time to check the cell phone.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Frank Gore (concussion) will play in Saturday night's game against the Chargers.

Gore practiced on a limited basis and has cleared his concussion protocols. With Carlos Hyde (ankle, back) ruled out, he should see an increased workload. Gore is a top-25 running back play for Week 16.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Anyone else rolling with Gore tonight? Thinking he has an RB2 floor with Hyde out, with a remote chance at a pretty big game

Torn between starting Gore or risking it with Murray tomorrow. Gore hasn't done much since week 11. Leaning Murray.

Users who are viewing this thread