What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (2 Viewers)

The 2 point conversion was an academic exercise. 

You go for 2 when you cut the lead to 11 in the 4th quarter to cut the lead to 9 instead of 10 because no matter what, you need two touchdowns to win, but if the lead is ten the opponent can make it a 3 score game with a touchdown and extra point.  A 9 point lead also puts pressure on your opponent if you score another touchdown because now it's a 2 point game, so they have to go for the first down.

The odds that this will matter are ridiculously low but its still the right thing to do.  But it's not worth getting hurt over it.  That's just dumb. 
"Screw this, we're probably gonna lose anyway" isn't an attitude that's going to bring a lot of success to a team like Tampa Bay. 

That throw-away on the 2-point conversion was terrible. There's 2:41 left in the game, you need every point, and your first read is triple-covered; how about hold the ball and make a second read?
I was wondering about why they went for 2 there. They were down 11, XP would make it 10, 2 point conversion would make it 9. I think I saw this in another game yesterday also. Am I missing something?

ETA: Never mind, saw @bostonfred explanation. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks bad for the same reasons he looked bad at the end of last season. His arm is weakening. He doesn't want to get hit. He's going to get hit.

That throw-away on the 2-point conversion was terrible. There's 2:41 left in the game, you need every point, and your first read is triple-covered; how about hold the ball and make a second read?

I pretty much don't expect 43-year-old football players to get better over the course of the season.
While I am sure he loves being on a team with all of that skill position talent, Brady is gonna miss Belichick's discipline and attention to detail.  Some of those penalties the Bucs committed almost never happen on a Belichick team, and that kickoff muff and recovery by the Saints NEVER happens on the Patriots.  It is not always easy to overcome those kinds of things, and Brady never had to worry about doing so on the Patriots; now he does on the Bucs. 

In defense of Arians openness about the interceptions.  He has been conditioned from answering questions about Jameis.  That's the only thing the reporters cared about, number of interceptions and who's fault they were.  Initially Bruce would beat around the bush, by the end of last season.  "That was on Jameis, this one was Godwin's fault, this was a little on both...".  I prefer the honesty.
In general, I agree re: honesty.  But he backtracked on the first pick, and called the second pick a bad decision when the second pick looked like either a bad throw (inside shoulder on an out route) or poor communication (out route was run versus out and in was the read?).

In defense of Arians openness about the interceptions.  He has been conditioned from answering questions about Jameis.  That's the only thing the reporters cared about, number of interceptions and who's fault they were.  Initially Bruce would beat around the bush, by the end of last season.  "That was on Jameis, this one was Godwin's fault, this was a little on both...".  I prefer the honesty.
Arians doubles down on Brady critique:

“He’s had it before. I mean, he knows how to bounce back,” Arians said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “He knew he didn’t play very well. It’s not what he expects from himself nor do we expect.   “I would expect him to have a little more grit, a little more determination this week.”

It's almost uncomfortably awkward even reading him put down Brady like that.
We may see in the coming weeks if Brady is a prima donna or not.    Jeff Benedict's book Dynasty, unveiled a number of things that Brady and Belichik kept well hidden for years.   Belichik apparently treated him just like anyone else, and regularly berated Brady just the same as a 1st year DB.    Brady and his spoiled Billion dollar wife both took offense to this and complained to Robert Kraft about it on multiple occasions.    This tells you something about Brady.   

Gisele spoke up for Brady during a meeting at Kraft’s house weeks after the 2018 Super Bowl. Belichick was not present, but Gisele told Kraft she and Brady were sick of Belichick treating the quarterback like “f—ing Johnny Foxboro.” Gisele said it was bad enough that Belichick refused to voice approval for Brady but even worse that he still unloaded on him during meetings and gave him a hard time with Guerrero.   At that point, Benedict says Brady and Gisele informed Kraft they wanted to move on.

- per Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston
Arians may simply be putting down some markers to ensure the entire TB team knows he is running the team.    Will be interesting to see how Brady responds on and off the field.   

We may see in the coming weeks if Brady is a prima donna or not.    Jeff Benedict's book Dynasty, unveiled a number of things that Brady and Belichik kept well hidden for years.   Belichik apparently treated him just like anyone else, and regularly berated Brady just the same as a 1st year DB.    Brady and his spoiled Billion dollar wife both took offense to this and complained to Robert Kraft about it on multiple occasions.    This tells you something about Brady.   

Arians may simply be putting down some markers to ensure the entire TB team knows he is running the team.    Will be interesting to see how Brady responds on and off the field.   
:popcorn:

My thoughts:

1) Brady will look better than this. It was a tough defense, no preseason, first totally new offense. Yes, he's had new OCs like Charlie and McDaniels but the verbiage has largely stayed the same and the internal concepts I would guess didn't change much. 

2) Brady's upside is capped by Arians scheme & playcalling. Arians hasn't had a good offense since 2016. He has outdated pass concepts and heavily out-dated run concepts. A great comparison is Dirk Koetter, who shares a similar scheme. It's very boom-bust with a high turnover rate. With good matchups the offense will be productive but the right defense will shut it down. Brady won't realise the potential of his weapons, but he has enough weapons he will be productive. 

3) The real concern is Brady's decision making. Both INTs were bad reads by him, and he had others where he was lucky they weren't intercepted. But a lot of this is likely due to overthinking in a totally new system. How much is system and how much age? Don't know. How much will he improve within the system? Don't know. 

4) Brady still has the arm to make 90% of the throws he needs to make. But the ability to make quick reads and deliver given his age and new system is the question. He will look better than Week 1 though. 

he's washed up. that o-line is going to get him killed, he doesn't have McDaniels scheming for him anymore. the signs of decay were on full display last season. clearly he's lost it.

he can't do the shootout thing anymore, he can't read defenses like used to, he can't throw like he used to. he's missing guys by 10 yards, overthrows, under-throws, nowhere in the vicinity throws. but boy can he do a qb keeper for 1.5 yards on a quick count Hike!!!

he'll be lucky to get 3200/22/14int. and they let go of Jameis for the same turnovers!

he's washed up. that o-line is going to get him killed, he doesn't have McDaniels scheming for him anymore. the signs of decay were on full display last season. clearly he's lost it.

he can't do the shootout thing anymore, he can't read defenses like used to, he can't throw like he used to. he's missing guys by 10 yards, overthrows, under-throws, nowhere in the vicinity throws. but boy can he do a qb keeper for 1.5 yards on a quick count Hike!!!

he'll be lucky to get 3200/22/14int. and they let go of Jameis for the same turnovers!
:blackdot:

Man, sometimes I feel like I watched entirely different games than other people have. I thought Brady looked fine Sunday. He had one really bad throw(the pick 6) and was very good other than that. The Bucs were having a ton of trouble getting open.Evans didn't look healthy, Gronk was rusty, I have no idea what Godwin's issue was, but Miller was the only guy getting separation. 

I fully expect Brady to be a top-5 QB this week. 

Tanner9919 said:

Those bolded items seem to contradict, no?  It's one week in after an extremely odd off-season.  He'll be okay.

travdogg said:
Man, sometimes I feel like I watched entirely different games than other people have. I thought Brady looked fine Sunday. He had one really bad throw(the pick 6) and was very good other than that. The Bucs were having a ton of trouble getting open.Evans didn't look healthy, Gronk was rusty, I have no idea what Godwin's issue was, but Miller was the only guy getting separation. 

I fully expect Brady to be a top-5 QB this week. 
Not sure about top-5 if Godwin isn’t in there but I agree that he didn’t seem washed to me at all.  Sure, maybe not vintage Brady, but who was really expecting that at age 43? I think people are sleeping on the Saints as a really good defense, plus it’s going to take some time and reps for all of this to gel.  

Howard looks like what he was supposed to be last year so that helps, maybe Miller can be an Edelman type security blanket.

Two drops in the end zone today from Tampa's WRs....Brady should have had 2 more TDs on two great throws. He looked much better today against a weaker defense however.

Fantasy wise though...just middle of the pack...will it get better?  Maybe...but ive seen enough of his arm again this year and last to see age is definitely starting to win more and more.  I considering Minshew in the Queue for waivers this week to just cut bait even on Brady...sounds crazy...but they are going to throw a ton and the INTs (and fumble this week) with Brady aren't helping any either.  A sub 10 point game 219 yards...1 TD...2 turnovers.    So blah...just don't see it being much today.

Tom Brady completed 25-of-38 passes for 297 yards and three touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 3 win over the Broncos.

Brady had a clean game after throwing three interceptions the first two weeks. He hit Mike Evans for a pair of goal-line touchdowns, with his other score coming on a 10-yard strike to Chris Godwin. All of Brady's TDs came in the first half and he wasn't needed after that with the Bucs' protecting a three-score lead. Brady will look to stay hot for a Week 4 matchup with the Chargers.

- Rotoworld

Tom Brady completed 30-of-46 passes for 369 passes, 5 touchdowns, and 1 interception in the Bucs' Week 4 win over the Chargers.

Brady mixed in a pick-six on a poorly designed out route, but otherwise looked excellent. Both teams entered the game injured (no Chris Godwin and Leonard Fournette) and suffered more during the game (O.J. Howard and LeSean McCoy left). That left Brady throwing to Mike Evans, who also played through an ankle sprain, and no-name players. His five touchdowns went to five different players. Brady's been inconsistent with the offense forever tinkering -- this felt more like a Brady-led game plan -- but fantasy results have been positive. He has 12 total touchdowns in four games. Brady will be more of a QB2 than QB1 in Chicago on Thursday night.

- Rotoworld

This is good stuff.  Wrong at least 15 times in this post.  :lmao:

Yeah, to say that Brady can't read defenses as well as he used to is madness.  The fact that he can still read a defense better than anybody is WHY he is still productive, given the decline in his physical skills. He had a lot of poor throws yesterday and was bad for most of the first half, but still ended up with 5 TD's and a win because of his mind and his ability to dissect a defense.

Evans gutting it out yesterday on the ankle was huge.  After he left for a few series they went three and out a couple times.  Brady needs he and Godwin healthy.  Lost OJ yesterday to an achilles too. 

Posted at 2:47am.... sounds about right :lol:  

The thread that just keeps on giving😄

Some learned their lesson (the general, cstu etc etc) and won't be back until it is certain but some of u Peeps have been saying the same stuff for 7 years! Yes eventually you will be right but how many times u gonna fall for the banana in the tail pipe trick? 

Don't think anyone has been more wrong more often about Brady and the pats than Tanner, though he is far from alone. While the poster below has been more fair and equitable than so many of the trolls, he is still saying the same things some were saying 6 yrs ago.

October 2014

"While it's clear as day that Brady's skills are declining - like I said yesterday, Father Time is undefeated - I think the Patriots have done him a great disservice by not improving his weapons. There were plenty of free agents they could have signed this past offseason, but they did nothing. Julian Edelman is not a bad WR, but he should not be your best one. I'll bet deep down that Brady is super pissed about all of this, but he's such a company man, we'll probably not hear a thing about it until maybe years after he retires if he decides to candidly talk about such things."

Yes, his skills have declined a bit but the man can still play and I think he has another productive yr or 2 in him; deal with it😉

Most deep passing yards entering Wk4 MNF:

Tom Brady – 458

Tom Brady’s last 15 passes:

15 attempts, 14 completions, 223 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints

Washed up. 

Tom Brady Deep Completions & Yards per Game
Last 5 Seasons

2016: 1.5 | 56.4
2017: 1.8 | 59.4
2018: 1.0 | 33.2
2019: 1.3 | 39.7
2020: 2.8 | 102.8

Tom Brady on Deep Passes (20+ Air Yards)

2016-2019 | #GoPats
➤ 36.2% comp pct (+2.5% CPOE)

2020* | #GoBucs
➤ 11/22, 50.0% comp pct (+13.5% CPOE)

I am way oversubscribed in this game, having to trot out Brady, RoJo, and the CHI D.

I guess I could roll out Tannehill against the Bills if that game actually plays.

Tom Brady completed 25-of-41 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' 20-19, Week 5 loss to the Bears. 

Playing with a limited supporting cast and struggling to find this evening's Nos. 1 and 2 wideouts, Mike Evans and Scotty Miller, Brady was a checkdown machine as the Bucs choked away what should have been an easy victory against a truly terrible Nick Foles. Walloped for three sacks and many more hits behind a penalty-prone offense line, Brady was lucky to escape without any interceptions. The game ended on one of the worst mistakes of Brady's career, as he took a reckless chance over the middle of the field. With the Bears celebrating, a bewildered Brady thought the play had occurred on third down. It was fourth, and Brady quickly stalked off the field to the locker room. Brady looked every one of his 43 years against one of the league's best defenses. The good news is, his supporting cast now has 10 days to get healthy for next week's showdown with the Packers. Things won't be any easier against Za'Darius Smith and company. Brady will be more of a QB2 than QB1. 

- Rotoworld
Pic of the NIght

In all honesty, I don't think we can blame Brady on that one. Any QB would have struggle with the number of penalties and mistakes that O-line made last night. Horrible job from his line. Yeah, brain fart on that 4th down at the end but the game was lost well before that. I don't think he played that bad considering the pressure, the hits he took and the mistakes from his line. This is the problem with none mobile pocket passers. When there is no pocket, they struggle. Last night was a game for a QB that can move around because his Oline couldn't take the pressure. So many mistakes....I really feel that one is not on Brady.

Users who are viewing this thread