What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (3 Viewers)

41 QB's have thrown at least 10 passes this year.

Only one (Carr) has a lower YPA than Brady's 5.73.

fruity pebbles said:
is this the thread where we cr@p on Brady's career because he hasn't looked the same this year?
Depending on your bias it's either that or the one where we pretend he's not in decline.

Overrated fraud IMO. Won some SBs because his coach is a cheater. Lacks ideal size for the position. Slow and lacks arm strength. Not exceptionally bright; skates by on the basis of his good looks and more famous wife. Poor tipper; does not wash hands after using the rest room.

Serious question: what is the deal with Dobson and Thompkins? Both showed a bit of promise here and there last season, but neither have been a factor at all this season.
Thompkins is amazing off the line but downfield is pretty mediocre. Dobson is pretty mediocre at everything except running in straight lines and is right behind Dwayne Bowe on catching ability.

At this point, changes need to happen. We've been forcing balls to Lafell and it took 4 weeks for him to have a positive impact.

The Oline is just garbage atm, Brady has no time to make decisions, so we have to field our short game team all game. Thompkins isn't better than Dola or Edelman and there simply isn't enough time to take homerun shots for Dobson.

Need to have Gronk on the field 100% of the time, need to get Wright involved, need to get Develin involved, need to seriously consider bring in Tyms from the practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter what people say if he is or isnt on a decline?

His stats says he is and this is fantasy football. That is all that matters. If his last name was not Tom Brady he would not be on a fantasy roster. 4 TDs and 5 turnovers through 4 games? I do not care what your name is or who you play for or how good you have been, if you aint putting up points you cant be on my team.

Overrated fraud IMO. Won some SBs because his coach is a cheater. Lacks ideal size for the position. Slow and lacks arm strength. Not exceptionally bright; skates by on the basis of his good looks and more famous wife. Poor tipper; does not wash hands after using the rest room.
I hope this is just a joke or sarcasm.

I am not supporting Brady and his bad season, but this comment here sounds like something a Jets fan who doesnt like Tom Brady would say. Overrated? This guy is a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he is overrated?

This is utterly ridiculous. He washes his hands!

I am not supporting Brady and his bad season, but this comment here sounds like something a Jets fan who doesnt like Tom Brady would say. Overrated? This guy is a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he is overrated?
Oh God yeah, huge Jets fan.

McGarnicle never jokes.

This is like watching a snake try to eat itself:

He can't go deep down field because nobody can get down field and his line can't hold up.

Since nobody can get downfield and the line can't hold up he has become captain checkdown.

Since he is captain checkdown, he sucks and needs to go downfield.

But he can't go downfield because (return to top of page).

He can't go deep down field because nobody can get down field and his line can't hold up.

Since nobody can get downfield and the line can't hold up he has become captain checkdown.

They probably don't block for him because he's such a conceited jerk.

Who is dropping him and who is holding him on their bench hoping for an awakening of sorts?

I was going to drop him but now I'm thinking of holding him on the bench and streaming QB's every week until he puts it all together. Problem is that would require dropping an upside player like a davante adams. What is everyone else doing with this useless turd?

Just traded him for the Bengals defense. Pretty thrilled with that. My other QB is Romo so I don't have a care in the world.

I remember when that O-line could protect Brady for 4-5 seconds and he could just sit back there with no worries about getting sacked and pick a receiver to throw to. Fast forward to 2014 and this guy starts his Sunday's by putting on a pair of depends.

I remember when that O-line could protect Brady for 4-5 seconds and he could just sit back there with no worries about getting sacked and pick a receiver to throw to. Fast forward to 2013 and this guy starts his Sunday's by putting on a pair of depends.

Just to give you guys a frame of reference, I just accepted an offer of jay cutler and Kenbrell thompkins for Brady and gronk.

My team is 1-3, I'm all but done if I didn't make move for a top QB and cutler is top 5. Thompkins garbage but so is Brady. I was planning on dropping him for a qb on the wire tonight anyway.

So basically it's gronk for cutler.

Just to give you guys a frame of reference, I just accepted an offer of jay cutler and Kenbrell thompkins for Brady and gronk.

My team is 1-3, I'm all but done if I didn't make move for a top QB and cutler is top 5. Thompkins garbage but so is Brady. I was planning on dropping him for a qb on the wire tonight anyway.

So basically it's gronk for cutler.
10/10, great trade.

You can add the part where he misses the checkdown receiver by 5 yards.

Who is dropping him and who is holding him on their bench hoping for an awakening of sorts?

I was going to drop him but now I'm thinking of holding him on the bench and streaming QB's every week until he puts it all together. Problem is that would require dropping an upside player like a davante adams. What is everyone else doing with this useless turd?
After starting Brady for the first 3 weeks, I sat him this past week for Big Ben. Brady sits on my bench for the forseeable future. BUT, he does have a favorable schedule later on, so I intend to carry him. Of course, I did not draft him to be a back-up QB.

fruity pebbles said:
is this the thread where we cr@p on Brady's career because he hasn't looked the same this year?
In my leagues I don't get points for 2007 statistics.

I already dropped him. I saw this coming and made some tradse to get Wilson two weeks ago in my primary league and I would have already dropped Brady but I (wrongfully) thought he would be better than WW fodder for Wilson's week 4 bye. I also dropped him in the league where I picked up and started Eli ahead of him for week 4.

Maybe I'll look again in 3-4 weeks, see if maybe he has a chance to turn it around like last year. If he does and I miss it so be it I'm not carrying dead weight backup QB around for another month

fruity pebbles said:
In my leagues I don't get points for 2007 statistics.

I already dropped him. I saw this coming and made some tradse to get Wilson two weeks ago in my primary league and I would have already dropped Brady but I (wrongfully) thought he would be better than WW fodder for Wilson's week 4 bye.
I did the exact same. Now I've got Wilson in multiple leagues and Brady in none!!!

trying to look at this from a different angle, perhaps the ultimate buy low time? I mean this is the bottom of the barrel for Brady. What are the chances he gets benched? I'd say almost zero. Can probably pick him up for next to nothing. I'm thinking for super flex type leagues anyway.

trying to look at this from a different angle, perhaps the ultimate buy low time? I mean this is the bottom of the barrel for Brady. What are the chances he gets benched? I'd say almost zero. Can probably pick him up for next to nothing. I'm thinking for super flex type leagues anyway.
Yes, I agree. If we look back to last year he started out like this and had a few good weeks in the second half. I'm not giving up on him but not expecting the world either.

Maybe if you consider picking him up in free agency "buying low". I certainly wouldn't trade for him. He's being dropped in my big money league, and I doubt anyone picks I'm up. And I live in the heart of Patriots country.

Last edited:
Maybe if you consider picking him up in free agency "buying low". I certainly wouldn't trade for him. He's being dropped in my big money league, and I doubt anyone picks I'm up. And I live in the heart of Patriots country.
Everyone's league is different. In my super flex league, any QB with a pulse outside of the Titans and Bills situations are rostered. The guy with Brady won't drop him as there's nothing with his potential at QB on the waiver wire. I look at it as a time to poke around and inquire about package type trades that would give him a different option at QB while giving me back an upgrade at another position. I have 3 QBs and have some room to maneuver. I know it's easy to piss on Brady because he's been terrible, but this is the epitome of buy low right :)

I am in other leagues where he was dropped 2 weeks ago and no one picked him up, so yeah it varies.

Giants had two excellent linemen that were old retire. They were "this close" to playing one more year but the Giants offseason mess seemed to make them say enough's enough. Also, David Stewart tried out for a few teams, including the Pats, with the premise that he wouldn't be healthy for a few months.

I'm curious if these guys are on the Pats radar. They could cure a lot that ails them and would fit the usual how do they sign such a gem for veteran minimum type Pats signing.

I have never liked the dink n dunk offenses and Brady sure worked it to precision last year with 10,000 short passes to Edelman even though everyone knew it was coming. Only because it's Brady did I think it was possible to continue success like that. Any other QB would have me screaming at the TV to throw somewhere else and throw downfield more. It's just so very vanilla. Dobson and Thompkins should offer deep threats by now and it seems they don't. They've gotta open it up some. They have wonderful success with the TE and unusual success on screens to the RBs and those grrr immediate screens to the WR that BB has always loved, but all this makes the field small and easier to cover.

There are deep passes Brady throws that I swear I know the second it leaves his hand that they're not completing. These don't count.

I think Bill Barnwell is a really smart guy, but his defense of Brady is insane. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-england-patriots-kanas-city-chiefs-tom-brady/

I know the announcers blamed Edelman for that INT but I can't believe Barnwell is as well. Edelman didn't "stop" his route, he read the defense and ran the correct route. The Patriot offense is complex and requires receivers and the QB to read the defense and run their route based on the play called and what the defense is showing. On that play, there were clearly at least 2 route possibilities for Edelman: one was a deep comeback and the other was a shorter curl or inside post route. If it was a certain type of zone coverage, then Edelman runs the shorter route and sits down in the hole in the zone coverage. If it is a man coverage, he runs off his defender further upfield, stops and turns around for the ball.

If you watch the play, Edleman reads zone, runs the shorter route, and sits down in a hole in the coverage where there isn't a defender within 5 yards of him. He's wide open. But Brady reads the defense incorrectly and throws the ball deep into a zone coverage where there are multiple defenders. The guy who intercepted it didn't even have to move. The BEST case scenario on that play even if Edelman runs the route Brady anticipates is Edelman breaking up the INT. If Brady makes the correct read, then he hits a wide open Edelman for a nice gain. Brady is 100% to blame for that INT and what's worrisome is that I had nothing to do with arm strength or physical tools, but a huge mental mistake by Brady.

I think the bad O-line has him so rattled that he's melting down mentally and making mistakes on his reads, he's getting flustered and trying to force passes (hello INT #2 in that game) and he's rushing his throws. One could argue that the poor O-line is to blame then, but the reality is that a veteran of Brady's calibre should be able to work through it and still make the right reads and not rush throws.

And I do think his deep ball accuracy is a major concern. He's not even close on most of them.

Did anyone else catch that they benched dobson the last 2 games because he bad mouthed mcdaniels? Is it just me or could they really use him out there?

if things go wrong early v. Cincy, will it all just implode ?

because it's looking like the Pats are one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL, and Tom Brady looks lost, like he just doesnt care anymore..

Cut him last night for Drew Stanton. Cousins is my backup so I'm riding with no safety net. I was never going to play him. Patriots offense is a joke and I don't see it getting incrementally better with that offensive line. Oh, and I'm a Gronk owner in that league too. :bag:

because it's looking like the Pats are one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL, and Tom Brady looks lost, like he just doesnt care anymore..
That's a good question. The CIN DEF might be a really good play this week.

It was interesting to hear him talking about potentially playing for a team other than the Patriots in his last interview. It was more a facing the reality that even "legends" get cut or traded and finish their careers elsewhere, but still. He mentioned Jordan playing for the Wizards, he nodded in agreement when Andre Kramer brought up Joe Montana with the Chiefs, and then he mentioned how Randy Moss played for four different teams at the end. Maybe he is ready to leave.

Did anyone else catch that they benched dobson the last 2 games because he bad mouthed mcdaniels? Is it just me or could they really use him out there?
Saw that.

If this is true, then the egos of the staff need benched for the rest of the season because at some point you don't let one guy's warm fuzzies being hurt impact a money-making professional sports team.

Tanner9919 said:

At the moment the team thrives on winning the turnover battle. The defense can pull the offense out of a large deficit if they perform like they can.

This has the feel of one of those seasons where, maybe this week, Tom gets banged up and they take him out and then they leave him out until he is "fully recovered".

I know. That sounds blasphemous to even think but when I look at the body language of him and the coaches it just seems like everyone is looking for an out on this one.

I like watching the Pats play (when they are actually playing well). I have investments in Brady and other Patriots in leagues.

But I think the Jimmy G./overhaul era is coming a lot sooner than we may have thought about two months ago.

Jeez you naysayers have me contemplating Kelce over Gronk this week. I was going to give it one more game. I can live with some struggles, but hate hearing guys look like they've given up.

I'm the biggest Gronk proponent on this board. I would sit him for Kelce until Gronk is on the field for 90% of the snaps.

Users who are viewing this thread