What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (2 Viewers)

I’m confused. Just got an email from @Joe Bryant saying Teddy is OUT, but Rotoworld says he’s active. 

Teddy Bridgewater (knee) is active for Week 11 against the Lions.

my opponent has Teddy, so kinda hoping Joe’s correct & my opponent reads Rotoworld. :lol:  

Teddy Bridgewater (knee) practiced in full Wednesday.

Coach Matt Rhule expects Bridgewater to be out there against the Vikings, who made him a first-round pick back in 2014. This will be Bridgewater's first start against his former team.

SOURCE: Bill Voth on Twitter

Nov 25, 2020, 2:31 PM ET

Teddy Bridgewater completed 19-of-36 passes for 267 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Vikings.

Bridgewater had a very forgettable day as a passer. He should've had D.J. Moore for a long touchdown and then missed him again for an easy red zone touchdown late in the game. Bridgewater is a fine starting quarterback but there seems to be a ceiling even with quality offensive pieces around him. On the last offensive play of the game during a two-minute drive, Bridgewater took a big hit and was barely able to move his arm while spiking the ball to stop the clock. He looked to be in pain while jogging off for the field goal attempt. It's unclear how serious his injury is, but the Panthers at least have the Week 13 bye to heal up.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently Teddy Bridgewater is on pace for 3876 passing yards. He is almost past his career high of 3231 yards in 2015 which was prior to his injury.

Still hopeful he can pass 4000 yards but he is behind that goal right now because of the missed game.

Teddy Bridgewater completed 21-of-35 passes for 258 yards, adding 26 rushing yards and a touchdown, in the Panthers' 24-16 Week 15 loss to the Packers.

Bridgewater has produced significant mental lapses in two straight games that directed led to his team's loss. In Week 14, Bridgewater needlessly hurried his offense to run a play on 3rd-down before the two-minute warning, basically wasting an important opportunity. Tonight, Bridgewater fumbled on the goal line while attempting to reach the ball over the plane. He also fumbled again later on inside the five-yard line, but the play ultimately did not count. Bridgewater simply is not skilled enough to mask earlier mistakes, and is now 0-for-8 on the season in game-winning drive scenarios. His play likely points to the team looking in a different direction when considering their future at the position.

Dec 20, 2020, 12:20 AM ET

2 games in a row he’s gotten a chance to win or tie on the final drive.... and turned the ball over on downs without even picking up a fist down.  That just seems weird.  With defenses playing prevent, you would expect at least one first down.

I don’t have the stats to back this up, but Bridgewater also seems to have a lot of trouble with the play clock.  Too many timeouts or delay of game where he is still up at the line of scrimmage adjusting the play with like 2 seconds left of the clock, and he doesn’t realize it. 

2 games in a row he’s gotten a chance to win or tie on the final drive.... and turned the ball over on downs without even picking up a fist down.  That just seems weird.  With defenses playing prevent, you would expect at least one first down.

I don’t have the stats to back this up, but Bridgewater also seems to have a lot of trouble with the play clock.  Too many timeouts or delay of game where he is still up at the line of scrimmage adjusting the play with like 2 seconds left of the clock, and he doesn’t realize it. 
I saw Aaron Rodgers do this in most recent game but no flag. He gets a full second or longer beyond the play clock. No flag.

Boston said:
He is kind of in no man's land...a little too good to be a career backup but not good enough to be a legit starter...going forward Bridge will not be just part of his name.
Lions could be a good bridge spot. Whatever rookie they draft to replace Stafford might need a year on the bench. 

Sounds like Rhule has a bridge in Charlotte to sell you.
I get this wise impression from the off-season news. I think they would take Teddy at a smaller contract and roll with what they have for camp. Don't forget Will is there too and he coached PJ.

I think they would draft the right stud or trade for the right star but that's all.

I read of Samuels and Corey Davis about trading spots and it's always mentioned that they need a star or two on D and upgrade OL. Those needs are first round and big free agent needs.

I read of all three QBs walking and when's that happen? They were comfy enough to let whatshisname go to Washington last offseason. 

I really think they're fine with their QBs but want the world to know they'd listen. That's all. 

The 49ers have reached out to the Panthers about a potential trade for Teddy Bridgewater. 

The Niners' interest in Bridgewater doesn't necessarily mean they're keen on replacing Jimmy Garoppolo as the team's starter. 49ers general manager John Lynch has said the team needs to upgrade its backup QBs as to avoid a lost season if or when the oft-injured Jimmy G is sidelined. Carolina is among the leaders in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, making Bridgewater expendable if a team has a solid offer for the veteran. There's almost no chance Bridgewater starts for Carolina in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 1, 2021, 9:57 AM ET

ESPN's John Keim reports Teddy Bridgewater "could make sense" as Washington's QB in 2021. 

Washington officially released Alex Smith on Friday, saving almost $15 million against the salary cap. Keim cited Bridgewater's familiarity with Football Team offensive coordinator Scott Turner, with whom Bridgewater worked in Minnesota years ago. Marty Hurney, Washington's executive vice president of player personnel, was with the Panthers when the team signed Bridgewater last year. This would hinge on the Panthers drafting a quarterback with the eighth pick in the NFL Draft or adding a starting QB in free agency (Carolina has cleared cap space for a possible run at Deshaun Watson). Bridgewater wouldn't be anything more than a bridge option to a long-term quarterback for Washington, assuming the veteran can beat out Taylor Heinicke for the starting job. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

, Washington Football Team

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 5, 2021, 10:30 AM ET

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said, "As far as where Teddy Bridgewater stands with us, he's our quarterback."

This reeks of "Josh Rosen is our guy". Earlier this offseason, Rhule was concerned with how the passing offense stalled late in 2020 and specifically said Bridgewater needs to have a good offseason camp. The Panthers have been active in Deshaun Watson sweepstakes and pursued Matthew Stafford before he was traded to Los Angeles. Under new ownership, Carolina is considered to be as aggressive as anyone in finding a true franchise quarterback. While not cuttable, Bridgewater's contract is tradable if a team like Washington wants to acquire Bridgewater's calm presence. Most assume peg the Panthers as a trade-up candidate in the 2021 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter

Mar 10, 2021, 1:07 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the Panthers have allowed Teddy Bridgewater to engage in trade talks with other teams after Carolina acquired Sam Darnold from the Jets. 

Rapoport added that the team is open to Bridgewater returning if he can't find a suitable trade partner. This all but confirms that Carolina sees Darnold as the team's 2021 starter after a 2020 season in which Bridgewater struggled mightily in an otherwise talented Panthers offense. Carolina wouldn't get much in return for the veteran journeyman, and wherever Bridgewater lands, he'll likely be a serviceable backup. 

RELATED: 

Sam Darnold

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 6, 2021, 8:53 AM ET

I have seen several articles suggesting NE should trade for Bridgewater ASAP, and just like with Garoppolo, the numbers don't work. The Patriots have about $12M in cap space. They have to navigate through $8M in dead cap money from Patrick Chung retiring. And they have to sign all their draft picks. If traded without a reworked contract, Bridgewater would immediately count $18M against the cap of the team that would be acquiring him. Realistically, without further cuts (possible), contract extensions (probable), and hardball tactics to get current players to play for less (very likely), the Pats couldn't trade for Bridgewater as they are very close to having no cap room left. They would need him to either be released or to rework his deal while still on the Panthers roster. Even if they went through the gyrations to bring Teddy to town, he may have been less productive in CAR (on a team with weapons) than Cam was in NE. NE is said to have had interest in Bridgewater last season, so one wouldguess they might still have some interest now.

Teddy Bridgewater's contract guarantee goes from $10 million to $17 million if he's on Carolina's Week 1 roster. 

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said the team -- which recently allowed Bridgewater to seek a trade -- is taking a "wait and see" approach with the veteran QB. While Bridgewater could take a pay cut and stay on as Sam Darnold's backup, it's most likely the Panthers will cut ties with him this spring or summer, unless a team engages in trade talks. That's a long shot. The Panthers are expected to pick up Darnold's fifth-year option as part of the team's commitment to their new franchise quarterback. 

RELATED: 

Sam Darnold

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 13, 2021, 8:46 AM ET

Good deal for Denver, he's basically free from the sounds of it. 6th round pick, and only 3 million for Denver.

Lock>Bridgewater>Darnold in my opinion. Probably 8 QB's in this draft I like more than any of them though.

I don't think this takes Denver out of the QB race in round 1 though. Its more of an insurance policy if they can't get a guy.

Good deal for Denver, he's basically free from the sounds of it. 6th round pick, and only 3 million for Denver.

Lock>Bridgewater>Darnold in my opinion. Probably 8 QB's in this draft I like more than any of them though.

I don't think this takes Denver out of the QB race in round 1 though. Its more of an insurance policy if they can't get a guy.
I agree about where you ended up, but Bridgewater > Lock (right now). Should they not add anyone tomorrow then I think they give Lock one more shot to open the season, but he needs to display significant development or he'll be subject to a quick hook. Teddy is clearly not strong enough to take a team over the hump, but he's capable enough to manage a strong enough one to some level of success. 

I agree about where you ended up, but Bridgewater > Lock (right now). Should they not add anyone tomorrow then I think they give Lock one more shot to open the season, but he needs to display significant development or he'll be subject to a quick hook. Teddy is clearly not strong enough to take a team over the hump, but he's capable enough to manage a strong enough one to some level of success. 
Agreed. I'd probably call Lock and Teddy equals, albeit pretty much exact opposites. Lock is kinda like Winston to me, where you see some special throws, but also some asinine decisions. However, he's still in his 1st 20 starts, so there is some upside still there I think, which is what will likely give him first shot if they don't further add to the QB room.

NBC Sports Edge:

Broncos acquired QB Teddy Bridgewater from the Panthers in exchange for a 2021 sixth-round pick.

The Broncos have been reported to be in the mix for a QB via the draft since the start of the offseason. Drew Lock has failed to do much in his 18 games as a starter, averaging just 6.6 yards per attempt and leading the league in interceptions last year. It's hard to see Bridgewater as the long-term answer though. After playing admirably as Drew Brees backup in 2019, the Saints ultimately let him walk in free agency. Then the Panthers saw a year of him as a starter and chose to replace him with Sam Darnold. Neither move is a resounding endorsement of his potential. Bridgewater will have a great cast of weapons to work with in Denver but he played alongside a talented receiving unit in Carolina last year and did little with the opportunity. He threw 15 touchdowns to 11 interceptions and won just four games across 15 starts. As part of the trade, Carolina agreed to take on $7 million of Bridgewater's $10 million in guarantees for 2021. Bridgewater's contract was also restructured to make him a free agent at the end of 2021. That makes the deal low-risk for the Broncos but it remains minimal in upside. Adam Schefter added that this move doesn't take Denver out of the QB conversation with the No. 9 pick in the draft. Acquiring two quarterbacks in as many days would be surprising but the lack of investment in Bridgewater leaves a first-round passer on the table for the Broncos.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 28, 2021, 1:50 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread