What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (10 Viewers)

Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

Redskins signed franchise player QB Kirk Cousins to a one-year, $23.94 million contract.

Source: Adam Schefter

The Washington Post reports the Redskins haven't made Kirk Cousins an offer since February.
Per reporter Mike Jones, the Redskins are still offering "roughly" $20 million per year and "low guarantees." In real-world terms, it's a boat load of money. In franchise quarterback terms, it's an insult. The Redskins are not going to win Cousins back without significantly sweetening their offer, something dictatorial front office power struggle winner Bruce Allen seems loth to do.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter 
Mar 30 - 6:39 PM

At some point you realize you're a person, and not a market value. Sign for 20 with a guaranteed 40. You're golden after that IRL.  Who and what are you paying down to make that not last?  

Why would his teammates want to play with him after he cried to the owner to trade him??
They know the front office is screwed up and would do the same thing if they could. Some 
players are just happy to be there, some are really good and can demand more. Allen put the
front office in a weak position against a good player.

Asked about Kirk Cousins' contract situation, coach Jay Gruden said "I know he’s gonna be here this season, and that’s all I care about."

"My approach, really: I’m not gonna be concerned about it," Gruden insisted. We wouldn't expect Gruden to be expansive on the matter, but the fact he wouldn't offer up even a boilerplate quote about Cousins remaining with the team beyond 2017 is interesting. The Redskins committed to hardball with their quarterback, and have not let up. It's safe to say Cousins won't forget that during talks.

Source: Washington Post 
May 15 - 3:08 PM

I don't understand why the team is so unwilling to pony up the dough. Maybe he's asking to get more money than Luck and Cam, that would be off base. Otherwise though, he deserves top 5 money. Not because he's a top guy necessarily but because in 2 years, that top 5 will maybe be top 10. The QB market is inflating yearly with the cap and if Washington isn't willing to get with the times on that front, they will lose a franchise QB next season and won't get one for a while.

ESPN's John Keim thinks there is less than a 50-percent chance walk-year QB Kirk Cousins signs a long-term deal with the Redskins before the season.
It is not a surprising belief considering neither side has expressed optimism and coach Jay Gruden recently dodged the question entirely, saying, "I know he’s gonna be here this season, and that’s all I care about." Perhaps something changes if Washington is able to put together a playoff run, but right now the two sides seem headed toward a divorce next spring.

Source: John Keim on Twitter 
May 20 - 9:27 AM

osubuckeyeman said:
At this point, a divorce needs to happen. I hope they try to make a run and then go their separate ways. I'm tired of it. Washington put up or shut up and Kirk just needs to ball out give Washington his number he will accept and say if you can not get there then we are done. Enough is enough.
My frustration isn't with the Redskins or Cousins. The Redskins are paying Cousins at a ProBowl level and daring him to play so well that they are willing to do it again next season. So far Cousins has been earning that pay. Both sides have been winning imo.

My frustration is with the sports media that seems to feel the need to announce that there is a 49% chance Cousins returns. Or another way to translate that is, "I have no @#$% clue". Sometimes you don't have a good answer. That's fine. Just don't say anything if you have nothing to say. For the love of god until someone actually DOES know something let's all just assume Cousins is going to play out his contract, get paid handsomely to do so, and may or may not end up with the Redskins depending on how the season goes. We don't need any more non-updates on the situation that isn't changing until then. Thanks. I can assume you don't really know without you pushing out tweets on twitter proving it.

Tanner9919 said:
he is going to look great in a Jets uniform next season
He's going to SF next year. It's a virtual lock. The Redskins will fall to the basement of the NFC East. What a great move by them.

Redskins president Bruce Allen said the July 15 deadline for a long-term deal is "the driving point" in negotiations with franchise-tagged QB Kirk Cousins.
Allen said the team has maintained "constant dialogue" with Cousins' camp and he is "still optimistic" something will get done. That optimism seems unsupported by the facts on the ground, but Allen is right that deadlines drive action. Perhaps the Redskins and Cousins will surprise us this summer.

Source: Master Tesfatsion on Twitter 
May 22 - 9:52 AM

Allen now saying he is willing to franchise him a 3rd time.  This just keeps getting better and better for Cousins as long as he stays healthy and productive this year.  34.5 million for 2018 and then FA at age 30 or the transition tag which is a huge guaranteed pay day.

Well played Kirk.................

Allen now saying he is willing to franchise him a 3rd time.  This just keeps getting better and better for Cousins as long as he stays healthy and productive this year.  34.5 million for 2018 and then FA at age 30 or the transition tag which is a huge guaranteed pay day.

if true, that leads me to believe (A) the skins don't trust that he will be productive this year and/or (B) Kirk doesn't really want to be a Redskin. 

an amazing display of  supply and demand econmics, for a guy who is not a true stud but an efficient qb in a horrific qb market

I still think he gets signed right before the July 15th deadline. Deadlines make deals and the team knows this one has to get done to guarantee the team a .500 floor and playoff hope for the foreseeable future. That's worth a lot of money and fans will revolt if he actually ends up a Brown or 49er or on any other team.

I still think he gets signed right before the July 15th deadline. Deadlines make deals and the team knows this one has to get done to guarantee the team a .500 floor and playoff hope for the foreseeable future. That's worth a lot of money and fans will revolt if he actually ends up a Brown or 49er or on any other team.
It's going to have to be a monster contract, otherwise, no incentive for Cousins to sign.  He can play out 2017 at 24 million and wait the Redskins out. 

He has had the stones to gamble on himself this long, so unless the Redskins pony up big time, which they have not given an indication that they are willing to do, I don't see him signing.

It's going to have to be a monster contract, otherwise, no incentive for Cousins to sign.  He can play out 2017 at 24 million and wait the Redskins out. 

He has had the stones to gamble on himself this long, so unless the Redskins pony up big time, which they have not given an indication that they are willing to do, I don't see him signing.
Agreed and I don't think kirk wants to stay in DC. At the least he sure isn't giving a "hometown" discount.

My frustration isn't with the Redskins or Cousins. The Redskins are paying Cousins at a ProBowl level and daring him to play so well that they are willing to do it again next season. So far Cousins has been earning that pay. Both sides have been winning imo.

My frustration is with the sports media that seems to feel the need to announce that there is a 49% chance Cousins returns. Or another way to translate that is, "I have no @#$% clue". Sometimes you don't have a good answer. That's fine. Just don't say anything if you have nothing to say. For the love of god until someone actually DOES know something let's all just assume Cousins is going to play out his contract, get paid handsomely to do so, and may or may not end up with the Redskins depending on how the season goes. We don't need any more non-updates on the situation that isn't changing until then. Thanks. I can assume you don't really know without you pushing out tweets on twitter proving it.
In case anyone has been scoring at home I just thought I'd point out that today the big news on this situation is... "Cousins is probably going to play under the franchise tag. There's a chance he'll sign an extension, but we kind of doubt it. But we are pretty sure it'll be one of those two things." Thanks guys! We have gotten that same story July 10th, June 27th(TWICE), June 20th, June 19th, June 16th, June 6th, May 27th, May 23rd, and May 22. Those are only the instances since I made this post. It's actually pretty comical....

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7486/kirk-cousins

I've never seen a group of people so desperate to prove what they don't know. It's like a very specific type of Tourette's.

In case anyone has been scoring at home I just thought I'd point out that today the big news on this situation is... "Cousins is probably going to play under the franchise tag. There's a chance he'll sign an extension, but we kind of doubt it. But we are pretty sure it'll be one of those two things." Thanks guys! We have gotten that same story July 10th, June 27th(TWICE), June 20th, June 19th, June 16th, June 6th, May 27th, May 23rd, and May 22. Those are only the instances since I made this post. It's actually pretty comical....

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7486/kirk-cousins

I've never seen a group of people so desperate to prove what they don't know. It's like a very specific type of Tourette's.
Try living around here lol. Seriously, I'm over hearing about it until something actually happens.

A source with knowledge of the situation told Profootballtalk.com that "internal disagreement exists" within the Redskins' organization "regarding (Kirk) Cousins' actual value."

"Internal disagreement" has existed in Washington's front office regarding Cousins' value for several years, and the leaks are coming out now with just days left before the deadline for teams to sign franchise-tagged players long term. Per Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, ex-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan "wanted to give Cousins a contract extension before 2015," but the "front office declined." The "front office" was/is Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen, who have messed this up from the get go and appear to be in no rush for a resolution.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Jul 14 - 9:52 PM

Cousins has got to be the luckiest SOB ever. I mean he is very good, this isn't a shot at him. Just think about how he entered the NFL. He was a 4th round pick in the same draft as RG3 who the Skins traded up to with the 2nd pick. As soon as Cousins was drafted, everyone was like "WTF?". Cousins hadn't even entered training camp yet and people were already talking about he was there to develop and trade. RG3 is the NFL Rookie of the Year and looks like the future of the league. Fast forward 4 years and Cousins is on track to become the highest paid player in NFL history. If he franchises this year, he will have made +$43 million in 5 NFL seasons (which is more than the highest drafted rookie QBs like Stafford got paid before the lockout)  and if 2017 is close to as good as the last 2 years, he will become the highest paid player in NFL history. The Redskins have done a great job building around him too. Look at the WRs they have had: Garcon, Reed, DJax, Doctoson, Pryror, Crowder...even Matt Jones was a 3rd rounder and an attempt to help Cousins. The Redskins organization is clearly incompetent for not having a long term deal done. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So they have until 4 today to reach a long term deal or he must play under the franchise tag. Has he signed the franchise tag already?

Rotoworld saying the last offer was more than the 20 offered previously but less than the 24 he will make this year and only 2 years guaranteed. WTF would he sign that?  24 this year and assuming he doesn't have a huge regression, 28-34 next year if the Redskins transition or franchise tag him like they said they would. 

If that was truly their offer, why waste everyone's time?  I understand it's a negotiation, but you still need to make serious offers based on the current situation. 

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/887040178627522560

I certainly don't blame Kirk Cousins / his agent for stonewalling Redskins on their negotiation for a long-term contract.  Kirk knows how dysfunctional Redskins' organization can be.  

That being said, I find Redskins' public disclosure of their negotiation letter to Kirk Cousins / his agent to be appalling and poorly distasteful. 

At this point, if the Skins were to be eliminated from playoff contention late in the 17 season I'd hope to see Cousins spotted watching House of Cards (earphones in) on his Microsoft Surface tab on the sidelines.

So tired of all the narrative. As someone said earlier, just a lot of noise that says absolutely nothing. I guess it works on the "dysfunctional Redskins" folks that love to look for a story in everything the 'skins do. Cheap and easy click bait.

Aznflyer14 said:
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/887040178627522560

I certainly don't blame Kirk Cousins / his agent for stonewalling Redskins on their negotiation for a long-term contract.  Kirk knows how dysfunctional Redskins' organization can be.  

That being said, I find Redskins' public disclosure of their negotiation letter to Kirk Cousins / his agent to be appalling and poorly distasteful. 
I am with you, not a classy move by the Skins. I think it is hilarious; they could have just committed to him last year for cheaper, but they needed to see it again. Now they are trying to save face by throwing him under the bus for using the leverage they gave him. 

Besides, $53m guaranteed is a lot less impressive when you factor in he already has $24m guaranteed for this season. All he has to do is not crash and burn to get well more than $29m guaranteed next offseason. 

I am with you, not a classy move by the Skins. I think it is hilarious; they could have just committed to him last year for cheaper, but they needed to see it again. Now they are trying to save face by throwing him under the bus for using the leverage they gave him. 

Besides, $53m guaranteed is a lot less impressive when you factor in he already has $24m guaranteed for this season. All he has to do is not crash and burn to get well more than $29m guaranteed next offseason. 
And they didn't see it again. 8 wins. One more would have gotten a playoff berth and he sucked when it mattered. At home against the Panthers and at home against the Giants week 17 when the Giants were already locked in their playoff place and do you know what Cousins did in those 2 games? 1 TD and 4 turnovers. 

Cousins has got to be the luckiest SOB ever. I mean he is very good, this isn't a shot at him. Just think about how he entered the NFL. He was a 4th round pick in the same draft as RG3 who the Skins traded up to with the 2nd pick. As soon as Cousins was drafted, everyone was like "WTF?". Cousins hadn't even entered training camp yet and people were already talking about he was there to develop and trade. RG3 is the NFL Rookie of the Year and looks like the future of the league. Fast forward 4 years and Cousins is on track to become the highest paid player in NFL history. If he franchises this year, he will have made +$43 million in 5 NFL seasons (which is more than the highest drafted rookie QBs like Stafford got paid before the lockout)  and if 2017 is close to as good as the last 2 years, he will become the highest paid player in NFL history. The Redskins have done a great job building around him too. Look at the WRs they have had: Garcon, Reed, DJax, Doctoson, Pryror, Crowder...even Matt Jones was a 3rd rounder and an attempt to help Cousins. The Redskins organization is clearly incompetent for not having a long term deal done. 
"Yeah but he threw an interception that cost them a playoff spot last year."

Redskins are morons just like the guy that has been repeating the quote above for the last 6 months. Such a no clue loser.

And they didn't see it again. 8 wins. One more would have gotten a playoff berth and he sucked when it mattered. At home against the Panthers and at home against the Giants week 17 when the Giants were already locked in their playoff place and do you know what Cousins did in those 2 games? 1 TD and 4 turnovers. 
I am sure it will go much better with Colt McCoy next time.

I think many of us ask ourselves a "moment of truth" question about players/coaches/managers like this:

If he were fired today, how many teams would he be an upgrade for?

I'm not saying Cousins is the second coming but a number of teams would love to have him as a problem... 

I find this whole thing fairly fascinating.

On one hand, I tend to agree that Cousins is NOT a top 3 or 4 type QB.  He may not be top 10.  So I understand not backing up the armored car to secure his services forever.

On the other hand, even given that, it seems like the Redskins have badly bungled this.  Even if EVERYONE agreed Cousins was not an upper echelon guy, the Skins still totally lowballed him in 2015.  In theory, offers in the past shouldn't impact value going forward, but that's gotta stick in the back of Kirk's mind.  Then they tag him, which by definition indicates that he's an upper echelon guy.  I think they kind of assumed "everybody hates the tag, so we'll use it as a tool and nothing else".  But the tag was PERFECT for Cousins and his team was smart enough to recognize it.  I've always said that the tag isn't nearly as bad for players as it is made out to be, at least in certain cases.  He got paid for one year (fully guaranteed) in 2016 about as much as they were looking to guarantee him for his whole extension originally.  And now he can do it all over again in 2017 (only better).  The Skins are now offering reasonable franchise money, but they handed over so much leverage early on that it only makes sense for him to sign if they significantly OVER-pay him which they don't want to do.

They were trying to have their cake and eat it too, but got burned.   They could have let him go or slightly overpaid him in 2015 (or 2016).  They didn't believe he was a franchise guy in 2015 based on their offers, but used the franchise tag anyway and set themselves up for a lot of pain.  I doubt Kirk WANTS to play on a year by year basis, the Skins just made that his best financial option and now don't want to deal with that reality.

So he's already guaranteed 24M in 2017.  So the Skins offer really boils down to 29M new guaranteed money (with unknown total money) for 5 additional years which is very reasonable, but something he could equal or eclipse fairly easily next year.  Carr just got 40M in real guarantees for a new 5 year deal.  Luck got 44M.  Osweiler was guaranteed 37M at signing on a 4 year deal.  So despite their claims of this massive of this massive record breaking deal (which from one perspective it truly would be), it doesn't take into consideration the reality of the existing guarantee.

Oh and BTW, unless the Skins team gets even worse than they have been to date, no tag makes sense in 2018.  Allen talks about a 3rd tag as if it is some kind of real bargaining chip they have, but Kirk would be thrilled to play for 35M guaranteed for one year in 2018 under the franchise tag again (79M in three years for a guy they don't want to give a lot of money to?).  Not sure who they are trying to fool with that.  Even the transition tag would be about 29M - about the same as the net guaranteed money of his 5 year extension offer.  May as well get all of that money in one year too and then start again...

What I find odd if true, is that Cousins and his agent never presented the Redskins with an offer. So either, 1) They were happy with the franchise tag or 2) He doesn't want to be in DC no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread