What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Crabtree, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Gonna laugh if he ends up in Green Bay
Would be a really good landing spot. Crabtree is two years younger and could easily play the role Jordy played in 2016. But there are a lot of WR needy teams, some with a lot of cap space (Jets). Baltimore seems most desperate for a WR, though.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Michael Crabtree will visit the Ravens on Friday.

Just released hours ago, Crabtree predictably did not have to wait long before drawing interest. Baltimore perplexingly gave Ryan Grant a four-year, $29 million deal at the start of free agency, but Crabtree would undoubtedly be their No. 1 if he signs, even coming off a down year.

Related: Ravens

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 15 - 6:15 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Michael Crabtree will visit the Ravens on Friday.

Just released hours ago, Crabtree predictably did not have to wait long before drawing interest. Baltimore perplexingly gave Ryan Grant a four-year, $29 million deal at the start of free agency, but Crabtree would undoubtedly be their No. 1 if he signs, even coming off a down year.
Ravens tried to give Grant that money but they are interested in Crabtree because Grant failed his physical and deal is dead.

Any chance Balt found out Crabtree was released and "Grant failed his physical?"

:lol:
Don't know but for a GM who has traditionally sucked at obtaining quality WR's we might have just seen Ozzie hit a new low. 

I mean trying to overpay Grant is bad by itself but I just realized they tried to commit about $20M to two WR's and John Brown turns out to be the healthy one.

who would we consider an upgrade for his production in 2018-19?

i'm thinking:

Upgrade: Seattle, SF, NO, NE, Bal, Carolina

Lateral / Downgrade: Jax, Dallas, Washington.

I wouldn't mind seeing him go to Dallas for a decent price. Sign him to replace Williams, find a LG somehow and draft defense.

I have no idea how much $ he's looking for though 

who would we consider an upgrade for his production in 2018-19?

i'm thinking:

Upgrade: Seattle, SF, NO, NE, Bal, Carolina

Lateral / Downgrade: Jax, Dallas, Washington.
2017 was a bad year for the Raiders as a whole, but if we're talking about an upgrade from his 2015 and 2016 seasons, there are not many places where he'll get 145+ targets. 

• With the lack of options in Baltimore, I think he could see some Anquan Boldin-esque success there (John Brown, if healthy, would occupy the Torrey Smith role)
  • I just don't know if the targets would be there in Seattle. But quality of target would be up. Could see him being a red zone machine for Wilson.
  • Same as above for New Orleans, although Crabtree would probably move to the slot here, which I think is a move he was going to be making as he got older anyway.
  • I agree with Dr. O that Dallas needs speed, but Crabtree might be the best WR on the team at this point (no idea what's going on with the Dez/Dak connection), so he could still have solid value there.
  • I think he'd be an upgrade over Funchess in Carolina, but I doubt he'd be treated that way. I would not like this landing spot.
  • SF would be interesting, but he'd be occupying the same role as Garcon. I think Crabtree is much better than Garcon, but I don't know how it would pan out.
  • NE would be awful. Way too many mouths to feed and father time is coming for Brady.
  • I'd see the Jets as a lateral move because somebody has to catch the ball there, but then again I'm not an Enunwa believer. 
  • Not sure how the split in Washington would work between Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, and Crabtree. I could see Crabtree being a good fit with Smith the second time around, though.
  • Arizona desperately needs a WR, but I'd see this as a downgrade. 
  • I'd still like to see him fill the Jordy role in GB - I think 2016 Jordy = 2018 Crabtree as far as ability and skill set. 
So in conclusion, it's really hard to improve situation when you've been getting ~9 targets/game, even when they've been coming from a mediocre QB. 

FF Ninja said:
2017 was a bad year for the Raiders as a whole, but if we're talking about an upgrade from his 2015 and 2016 seasons, there are not many places where he'll get 145+ targets. 

• With the lack of options in Baltimore, I think he could see some Anquan Boldin-esque success there (John Brown, if healthy, would occupy the Torrey Smith role)
  •  

as a crab dyno owner, i'm happy with this turn of events. i think his floor stays the same but he's got a better shot at getting back into that "Good WR2" conversation and i'd think he even has an outside chance at being a TD-dependent low-end WR1 if he can sync up with Flacco in the red zone... 

Rotoworld take:

Ravens signed Michael Crabtree to a three-year, $21 million contract.

This was an obvious fit after the Raiders dumped Crabtree for Jordy Nelson. Crabtree had a dropoff while playing through injuries in 2017 but is still one of the best route runners in the league. After sharing the spotlight with Amari Cooper, Crabtree will be the clear No. 1 option in Baltimore. He should see an increase from the 101 targets he saw last year — his lowest total since 2014. The Ravens are more of a run-first offense than Oakland, but Crabtree will remain a threat for double-digit touchdowns.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 16 - 6:08 PM

I don't know.  Seems like Crabtree was better off in a high volume offense where he isn't defended by the #1 CB on the other team.

there's probably some merit to this but i still think crabtree sees a bump up in dyno and redraft. 

it's been a while since flacco put a receiver "on the map" so to speak but in the last few years he did get a kamer aiken, a 30 year old mike wallace, and a 35 year old steve smith into solid WR3 territory. personally, i think crab might has a better ceiling than any of those guys with his talent and red zone skills.

Garrett Downing @gdowning14

Michael Crabtree has 25 TDs over the last three seasons. He’s a big-bodied WR who can make tough contested catches all over the field. Exactly what the Ravens need.

Don’t expect him to be a stud, but he should have plenty of targets, which is about the best you can hope for at this point in his career.
I think its pretty fair to expect Crabtree's numbers to be similar to what Wallace did last year. 1,000-7 is probably close to his ceiling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure wtf the raiders were thinking. Good pick up for a wr needy team. 
I think the Raiders swapping in Nelson for Crabtree makes a ton of sense. They are roughly equal talents at this point, and Nelson is a far superior locker room guy, and mentor/sounding board for Carr and Cooper. This is Gruden 101.

as a crab dyno owner, i'm happy with this turn of events. i think his floor stays the same but he's got a better shot at getting back into that "Good WR2" conversation and i'd think he even has an outside chance at being a TD-dependent low-end WR1 if he can sync up with Flacco in the red zone... 
Neither Carr nor Flacco is that great of a QB, but Carr throws more TDs. In general, it is pretty elite for a WR to catch 33% of his QB's TDs. Crabtree is still at the tail end of his prime and is a great red zone player, so he's got a good shot at that. However, we're only talking about maybe 7 TDs. So if Crabtree is to become a WR1, it's going to have to be on heavy volume, not TDs. I mean, there are rare cases where a guy catches 50% of his team's receiving TDs, but that's very uncommon.

I don't know.  Seems like Crabtree was better off in a high volume offense where he isn't defended by the #1 CB on the other team.
I can't speak to which CB faced Crabtree week-to-week, but I'm inclined to agree with this statement. If Crabtree can still get 145+ targets, I think he'll put up similar numbers as he did in Oakland. I think he finished right around WR12/13 in 2016, so that's pretty good. He's been criminally underrated for a few years.

I think the Raiders swapping in Nelson for Crabtree makes a ton of sense. They are roughly equal talents at this point, and Nelson is a far superior locker room guy, and mentor/sounding board for Carr and Cooper. This is Gruden 101.
:no:  https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/974309565356322816

Even in 2016, the advanced statistics were showing Nelson in decline. He's two years older than Crabtree and I don't think he's going to age as well. I think Crabtree will be able to make a Fitzgerald-like transition to the slot as he gets older, but for now he's still a capable outside WR, which Jordy is not. 

---------------

As for the debate about his dynasty value, I agree with the guy who said he'd give up a late 1st if it was a need. People get caught up looking at age, but different players age differently. Some guys are finished after their age 31 season. Other guys are able to transition their game. I argued in dynasty threads in the past that DT and Crabtree have been flip flopped bc DT used to be ranked a lot higher, but they are the same age and I just don't see DT's game aging as well as Crabtree's. I think Crabtree could easily pull a Boldin where he's still relevant in his mid-30's because there's always room on a roster for a big bodied WR who can run precise routes and catch contested passes. So my point is that you can get Crabtree right now for the price of a guy who only has 1-2 years left, but you'll probably squeeze 3-5 years out of him, even if those last 2 years are just as a flex or bye week filler. 

If I’m picking at 1.11 or 1.12 that means my team was pretty good, if not great. If WR was a need area, I’d deal that pick for Crabtree.
If you are picking at 1.11 or 1.12 and your team is good you are far better off taking a shot at long term upside with the pick than the WR2/3 production you will get from Crabtree. That production comes a lot cheaper.

If you are picking at 1.11 or 1.12 and your team is good you are far better off taking a shot at long term upside with the pick than the WR2/3 production you will get from Crabtree. That production comes a lot cheaper.
With most other WR classes, I would agree.

With this class, I'll take Crabtree.

Speaking after Thursday's OTA session, Joe Flacco talked up new WR Michael Crabtree, saying, "(He’s) the guy."

"He’s got a little different way that he runs the routes," Flacco said of Crabtree. "He’s really crafty with it, and he knows when to break away from guys and how to get open." Crabtree signed a three-year, $21 million deal in Baltimore following his release from the Raiders and is obviously the clear No. 1 for Flacco, who has always had a fascination with veteran targets picked up off the scrap heap. Crabtree should flirt with 120-130 targets if he can stay healthy.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 

May 25 - 12:51 PM

ESPN's Jamison Hensley writes Michael Crabtree "has been a popular target" during red-zone drills so far in camp.

This is about as far from a surprise as possible, but it is still worth noting. Crabtree has converted a solid 42.2 percent of his career targets inside the 10 into touchdowns, and he scored 13 red-zone touchdowns in three seasons with the Raiders. He should be Joe Flacco's No. 1 target in the scoring area this season.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 

Jul 31 - 12:12 PM

Users who are viewing this thread