What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Ordered a brisket but ended up just getting a flat from Peabod delivery. Never done just the flat before. Anything different to think about other than it won’t take nearly as long?  Wouldn’t think so but thought I would ask. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered a brisket but ended up just getting a flat from Peabod delivery. Never done just the flat before. Anything different to think about other than it won’t take nearly as long?  Wouldn’t think so but thought I would ask. 
Most times I get a flat and they're easy to do high heat

Instead of 2.5 hours in foil, i do 1.5 hours in aluminum pan uncovered with a few ounces of beer in bottom and sliced vidalia onions on top then cover pan with foil for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Also I start pretty side down, fat side up, then flip it over once you go to pan. This way you still get a little bark and you don't lose all the juices from the fat.

ETA the pan also provides some au jus if you want to go that direction. 

Did a brisket this last weekend...only my second one ever.  I think I was on the right track until I let it sit too long.  Everything I've read is it's generally between 12-15 hours for a 15ish lbs brisket, so I started it at midnight.  It was done by about 2pm, so within the range.  I pulled it and let it sit until around 5pm.  It was a simple rub of salt, pepper and celery seed.  When I went to cut it, the outer layer was pretty tough and chewy, but the inside was pretty decent.  I want thoughts on that.  Then, I also want thoughts on what you guys do with left over brisket...We have a pound or two and I'm trying to figure out how to reheat it.  I'm thinking of making a gravy and making some mashed taters with brussel sprouts (one of my kids' favorites oddly enough).  Any other suggestions for brisket leftovers?
It was the celery seed.  How many times do I have to tell you people S&P ONLY on beef.  Sheesh.

Just kidding.  Did you wrap it at any point?  If not, try that next time.  It sounds like you may have dried out the outside a bit. Butcher paper wrap will help with that. 

As far as leftovers, it's great in a lot of things like chili, quesadillas, chopped beef sammiches, tacos, on top of salads, etc. but one of my favorites is for breakfast with eggs.  If you mince some point meat and put it inside an omelette with some sharp cheddar...ooooh buddy...that's some good eatin' right there.

It was the celery seed.  How many times do I have to tell you people S&P ONLY on beef.  Sheesh.

Just kidding.  Did you wrap it at any point?  If not, try that next time.  It sounds like you may have dried out the outside a bit. Butcher paper wrap will help with that. 

As far as leftovers, it's great in a lot of things like chili, quesadillas, chopped beef sammiches, tacos, on top of salads, etc. but one of my favorites is for breakfast with eggs.  If you mince some point meat and put it inside an omelette with some sharp cheddar...ooooh buddy...that's some good eatin' right there.
I didn't wrap it because as it cooked, it didn't get really dark and it looked perfect the whole way through.  I didn't think it was necessary.  When it was done, it was a nice mahogany color...it looked amazing.  I almost feel like putting it in the dish and wrapping it in foil allowed it to cook more (though the temp never went up on it after pulling it).  It was slightly "roast beefy" if you will, but still passed the pull test.  As I said before, I was generally happy with it given it was only my second one ever and my first one was 4-5 years ago.  I think it could be better though.  

I didn't wrap it because as it cooked, it didn't get really dark and it looked perfect the whole way through.  I didn't think it was necessary.  When it was done, it was a nice mahogany color...it looked amazing.  I almost feel like putting it in the dish and wrapping it in foil allowed it to cook more (though the temp never went up on it after pulling it).  It was slightly "roast beefy" if you will, but still passed the pull test.  As I said before, I was generally happy with it given it was only my second one ever and my first one was 4-5 years ago.  I think it could be better though.  
What temp did you cook at and on what kind of pit? Whole packer?  Grade of beef?

I like to make leftover brisket hash. Chopped brisket with either bacon or sausage, red potatoes, onions, peppers. Add in a couple eggs and some hot sauce and if that doesn't cure your hangover I can't help you.

What temp did you cook at and on what kind of pit? Whole packer?  Grade of beef?
It was a full brisket....my wife picked it up at Sams since our butcher isn't open.  I cooked on my 22inch vert Weber...temp ended up at 195 when it "felt" right..plyable yet plump and juicy.  I had thought that I might have cut too much fat off the top, but I went for about a half inch across the board...tried to keep it as even as possible.

It was a full brisket....my wife picked it up at Sams since our butcher isn't open.  I cooked on my 22inch vert Weber...temp ended up at 195 when it "felt" right..plyable yet plump and juicy.  I had thought that I might have cut too much fat off the top, but I went for about a half inch across the board...tried to keep it as even as possible.
When you say tough and chewy do you mean dried out on the outside or that meat under the bark was tough?

My father in law just offered us some pig’s jowl he picked up from the butcher. My wife said it looked like a hunk of fat. He was surprised when she turned him down, said he was sure I would want some. 

As far as leftovers... the sky is the limit. Makes a killer chili ingredient. My favorite thing to do with the leftovers is use them in eggs. I've also done tacos, pizza, and used them in ABTs. Pretty much works with anything.

:hifive:

Got a 5lb bone-in pork butt on the kamado, it went on at 5pm, internal temp is at 169 right now...the first hour the grill temp fluctuated between 250 and 278...since then it's been pretty stable, between 230 and 245 for the most part. 

Gonna wrap it in a minute and take it to an IT of about 203.

I'm sure it's buried in here but what's the recommended grill for around $500? Just general grilling of burgers, chicken, and steak on the deck.

I'm sure it's buried in here but what's the recommended grill for around $500? Just general grilling of burgers, chicken, and steak on the deck.
If you go gas, go infrared.

Also, at that price point, the only options are disposable grills that last a couple years and crap out. If the grill is out of the elements you might get a few years out of it. 

Also, at that price point, the only options are disposable grills that last a couple years and crap out. If the grill is out of the elements you might get a few years out of it. 

Infrared...you mean something like this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Commercial-Stainless-Steel-4-Burner-Liquid-Propane-and-Natural-Gas-Infrared-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1001462436

I've heard others say that grills that price don't last long. I've not really found that to be true but...how much do "good" grills cost?

Infrared...you mean something like this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Commercial-Stainless-Steel-4-Burner-Liquid-Propane-and-Natural-Gas-Infrared-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1001462436

I've heard others say that grills that price don't last long. I've not really found that to be true but...how much do "good" grills cost?
I would go with a smaller Weber before I would go with Char Broil for the same money. Probably better quality and at least you know parts will be available.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-E-310-Black-Porcelain-Enamel-3-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/3881659

PK makes some solid charcoal options that will last.

https://www.pkgrills.com/grills/

I would go with a smaller Weber before I would go with Char Broil for the same money. Probably better quality and at least you know parts will be available.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-E-310-Black-Porcelain-Enamel-3-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/3881659

PK makes some solid charcoal options that will last.

https://www.pkgrills.com/grills/
Funny, that's the exact grill I currently have. I'm replacing one that was damaged in a hailstorm. 

It is a pretty good grill.

I would go with a smaller Weber before I would go with Char Broil for the same money. Probably better quality and at least you know parts will be available.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-E-310-Black-Porcelain-Enamel-3-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/3881659
Timely topic....I Got 10+ good years out of my previous grill (Great Outdoors, which is no longer in business) by replacing burners, grates, etc.

But, now i'm ready to buy a grill and i've done the research and looked at a lot of the previous suggestions provided above.
I'm buying a Weber Spirit II E-310 for $479  (https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/spirit-series/45010001.html) and here's why:

The Spirit II 10 year Warranty on ALL PARTS is what finally sold me.......I figure the extra money spent upfront on the Weber name i will make up over time with the savings from Warranty replacement of the internal parts (such as the Grate, Burner, Tents)
I would have liked to purchase the Series II with a closed cabinet (an extra $50), but apparently the Series II doesn't offer that upgrade yet.  Not a problem since i plan on covering it when not in use anyways.

Anyone ever do boneless beef chuck short ribs?  Thinking salt and pepper and smoke like a normal beef chuck roast?

So, wife bought a pretty large whole chicken for the crock pot. Wouldn't fit in the crock pot. So it looks like I'm gonna smoke this tomorrow.

Any good recipes? Techniques? How long should I smoke it? How many beers should I drink during this experience?

So, wife bought a pretty large whole chicken for the crock pot. Wouldn't fit in the crock pot. So it looks like I'm gonna smoke this tomorrow.

Any good recipes? Techniques? How long should I smoke it? How many beers should I drink during this experience?
If you're gonna smoke, hard to go wrong with the beer can chicken. For chicken on the grill, I prefer to spatchcock, season heavily with Tajin, and do it indirect. Both of these are 5-6 beer experiences.

If you want to try something super-simple and unbelievably good,  brine it for 12 hours, pat dry and oil, and then put it in a blazing hot (550) dutch over for 30-minutes (15min lid on, baste, 15min lid off). The schmatz is the star of the show here. Fill two small bowls with the drippings and then just lay the bird and a loaf of bread on the table and go at it with your hands, dunking hunks of it in the schmaltz as you go. Simple, primal, delicious. 

If you're gonna smoke, hard to go wrong with the beer can chicken. For chicken on the grill, I prefer to spatchcock, season heavily with Tajin, and do it indirect. Both of these are 5-6 beer experiences.

If you want to try something super-simple and unbelievably good,  brine it for 12 hours, pat dry and oil, and then put it in a blazing hot (550) dutch over for 30-minutes (15min lid on, baste, 15min lid off). The schmatz is the star of the show here. Fill two small bowls with the drippings and then just lay the bird and a loaf of bread on the table and go at it with your hands, dunking hunks of it in the schmaltz as you go. Simple, primal, delicious. 
Do the bolded no matter what and it will be amazing on the grill or smoker or in the oven.

I cram a beer can up it's butt and dust it with my standard BBQ rub.  We've brined/not brined....I don't see much difference personally...both come out nice and juicy.

Make sure the can in the chicken butt is about half full of beer.  rub the skin with oiive oil salt pepper paprika.  rubbing a little oil under the skin couldn't hurt, either.  brine is good but you don't need it.  I find it's most helpful for the breast meat under more aggressive cooking methods but you're going pretty gentle here.  

E-Z Glider said:

Huh. I never thought to use Taijin on chicken, I only use it for micheladas. Guess I am cooking chicken this weekend. And drinking micheladas of course. 

My wife and I just bought our first home. One of my "priority 1" purchases for things we don't currently own (we have a whole system, but things in the 1 bucket right now are a king bed and mattress, chairs for our kitchen table, a wine fridge, and an office desk) is a Weber Smokey Joe, aka the first grill I will own.

Very excited to spend a LOT more time in this thread in the future. 

Method:  Traeger 225*F for 90 minutes

Wood:  Oak

Meat:  Trip Tip 3.5 pounds

we marinated this in Bourbon, tomato juice, 2 red onions, head of garlic, rosemary, salt, balsamic, soy sauce.  Three days in the marinade in the fridge. 

6:30 cant get here soon enough

Method:  Traeger 225*F for 90 minutes

Wood:  Oak

Meat:  Trip Tip 3.5 pounds

we marinated this in Bourbon, tomato juice, 2 red onions, head of garlic, rosemary, salt, balsamic, soy sauce.  Three days in the marinade in the fridge. 

6:30 cant get here soon enough
Sounds great. Maybe a little sear on the outside?

I like to cook my chicken on the WSM between 300-350 with no water on the pan.  Usually done in a little over an hour with crispy skin and nice smoke flavor. 
This. Dry brine for a couple hours for juiciness and to help the skin crisp. Spatchcock. Rub with oil and fresh herbs. Put a pan of red potatoes, onions and carrots under the bird to collect the juices as they cook.. About an hour 15 minutes at 325. Use a thermometer. 

Users who are viewing this thread