What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I had a Maverick remote thermometer that was a dud.  Had to press about 15 buttons in order for remote unit to sync.  Most reviews on Amazon were positive, so I presume mine was just a dud at least.

While we're on thermometer talk, is there any harm of sticking a magnetized thermometer (Thermoworks DOT) to the WSM?  I can't find any temperature limits on the device.  I know the DOT has a kickstand, but it falls over easy in windy weather and I don't have a table nearby where I keep my WSM; so sticking the DOT to the WSM would be handy.

I  haven't been able to do much grilling or smoking lately but I did manage to do a few blocks of cheese this weekend. Pepper jack, Monterey jack and sharp cheddar.  Used a combination of pecan and cherry (I really like the cherry).  Let it go about 3 hours.  Want to do a few more blocks and a batch of jerky.

Any good wireless temperature probes for use with a rotisserie?  I have gone thru many probes as the rotisserie of my Weber Kettle spins over the wire .

Any good wireless temperature probes for use with a rotisserie?  I have gone thru many probes as the rotisserie of my Weber Kettle spins over the wire .
Don't think I've ever seen a wireless probe. This might be a better option for a thermapen, cook based on time/temp and start checking within 15-20 minutes of when you think it will be done.

Don't think I've ever seen a wireless probe. This might be a better option for a thermapen, cook based on time/temp and start checking within 15-20 minutes of when you think it will be done.
  :goodposting:

This is how I do it as well. Don't know of any wireless probes.

Not wireless per se but Maverick has a nice probe that you stick into it and then the wire will connect to a unit and you can monitor this unit wirelessly using the other unit it connects to. 

Something like this @brettdj?

I don't know if it's actually available yet or not.
I had a chat with someone from the company that is making them (I wanted to get one for my Xmas Prime Rib) and here is their response to my question about when they are shipping them.

Currently, we are building small production batches and running the units through various tests and inspections. Our current goal is to be shipping MEATER (single probe with charger) to our crowdfunding backers in December and into January. If there are changes in the production process, it may be necessary to adjust the timeline. When MEATER is being mass produced, we will redirect our focus on MEATER Block and provide an estimated timeline then.

After fulfilling our crowdfunding orders, we will have our website - www.meater.com - selling MEATER for online retail. I hope this clears things up, please let me know if you have additional questions.

Not wireless per se but Maverick has a nice probe that you stick into it and then the wire will connect to a unit and you can monitor this unit wirelessly using the other unit it connects to. 
Yep however he said he'd specifically looking for one to use with a rotisserie. The Maverick would wrap around the rotisserie in no time.

Anybody ever smoke pecans? Like the sweet ones they sell at sporting events?
I have.  Soak them in melted butter for an hour or so.  Put a rub on if desired.  Smoke them at about 200 for about 1-1/2 hours or until they are crunchy again.  Good stuff.

Well it was decided a couple of days that Christmas dinner is at my house this year. Just pulled the turkey out of the freezer and will probably hit up Costco for a ham. My WSM is gonna get a nice workout over the weekend. :thumbup:

Got my first Prime Rib going.  Doing it in the oven and not the smoker.  Hope it comes out as good as @ydocs did!

Have the oven set to 200 and bringing it up to ~125, then will reverse sear it either on the broiler or i will fire up the grill.  havent decided which yet. 

Pics to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoking a prime rib and a spatchcocked turkey at the same time in a Traeger a bad idea?  I may do grill or roast the turkey just to get different tastes, but wanted to know if this is an option.

I dry brined my turkey for the first time yesterday and it turned out juicy as ####.  :thumbup:

I also smoked 2 hams which were fantastic as well but that turkey, oh man. 

Also, I am revealing my last name but I don't care. My parents gave me this shirt for Christmas.
Nice shirt! 

Btw how long did you brine the turkey for?

I dry brined my turkey for the first time yesterday and it turned out juicy as ####.  :thumbup:

I also smoked 2 hams which were fantastic as well but that turkey, oh man. 

Also, I am revealing my last name but I don't care. My parents gave me this shirt for Christmas.
Did you do the Amazing Ribs wet rub and gravy. That completes it.

Last 2 times I dry brine about 30 hours and I think that was a big difference than the roughly 20 hours I did it before

rainy and cold but i just hung a turkey on the pbc for a friend...dry brined...

wonder how the weather will affect cook time...

i opened the vent a little more than normal....

Been following this wireless probe for a year or two.  Not sure what is taking them so long to get up and running, but it seems like a good solution.  Does both ambient and food in one device but as I said...taking them a long time to get up and running in any sort of consistent manner.  

ETA:  I see it's already been covered :bag:

So I normally do wings where I smoke them for 45 to 60 minutes then crisp them over direct heat.

We are supposed to get severe weather tomorrow.  Tornado warning severe thunderstorms,  Plague of frogs etc.

Has anybody ever smoked wings or other chicken then refrigerated overnight and grilled them the next day? Was thinking of smoking them this afternoon then saucing and crisping them up either on grill or oven tomorrow 

@Megla or anybody else have any experience with this?

So I normally do wings where I smoke them for 45 to 60 minutes then crisp them over direct heat.

We are supposed to get severe weather tomorrow.  Tornado warning severe thunderstorms,  Plague of frogs etc.

Has anybody ever smoked wings or other chicken then refrigerated overnight and grilled them the next day? Was thinking of smoking them this afternoon then saucing and crisping them up either on grill or oven tomorrow 

@Megla or anybody else have any experience with this?
Yea, but you need to cool the chicken fast, I would suggest getting it on ice right after they come off the smoker, otherwise as they cool slowly the skin will get loose and will be hard to work with the next day.

picked up a whole brisket for $2 lb today....gonna be the superbowl smoke....does anyone inject?...myron mixon says too, but not really seeing others do so....

proninja said:
I have done it, but didn't notice a difference in the finished product, so I don't any longer. I just salt/pepper/smoked paprika, smoke at 225, crutch through the stall, cook to 203, and rest in a cooler wrapped in foil/towels as long as humanly possible. I will absolutely jack the temp up if I'm short on time in order to have more time resting in the cooler. To me it makes much more difference what you do after you pull it off than it does how fast it gets to temp. I've cooked brisket at 375 and had it turn out well, but it spent two hours resting after the fact. You don't get bark this way, but the texture of the meat rocks. 

I just realized that I could probably put it back on a high temp for a short time after the rest to firm up some bark. Might try that next time. 
thanks....i'm in a pbc so no temp in the pit...just internal meat.....

so i threw a pork shoulder on the pbc this morning....had run across a good looking method that included an injection....already an hour over time it normally takes...

better be good...lol

I got a smoker for Christmas--smokehouse vertical--and have now tried it twice.  I'm used to my Santa Maria grill so this is all new to me.  Did spare ribs last night.  Great smoke and flavor, but not getting the "fall off the bone" texture I normally get.  Kept temp at 225 for 2 1/2 hours, then pulled and foiled at 225 for 90 minutes.  Wife wanted to eat now, so went direct from smoker to plates.  Is 4 hours too short?  Foil longer?  Allow the meat to rest longer?  Any critique and advice appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread