What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Our GB PN rocks the kitchen, smoker and grill...and is about as humble as you can be.
I never said anything different. I just said cooking is the easy part. To do it, you have to do it for free and do it really well for years. During that time you have to learn to be an expert at SEO and social media. You have to learn to take incredible pics. I'm still a hack that takes 400-500 pics for every 20 I use in a post. Basically, I believe that if I have enough quantity, I will get enough quality. Not very efficient. You also have to have some website skills or know someone that does it very well. Then you have to learn how to negotiate contracts and have an IP lawyer to keep you from signing yourself into slavery. Then, when it starts rolling, time management is a killer as it all comes in bunches and there isn't enough time in the day, weekend, week and month to get it all done. Then after that, it's the patience to wait for the money. Contracts will say "Payment after 30, or 50 or 90 days," and it might as well be written in crayon as brands take weeks and months after the contractual agreed upon time and there's nothing you can really do or they won;t work with you again. 

The hardest things are doing it from passion alone for years. Not a few months. Not a year. I think I didn't make squat until my 5th year. Then there's learning how to shoot great shots when everything you shoot is brown. After that, it's the sales. Explaining to brands why you are worth what you feel you are worth and being willing to walk away when they don't agree and hope they call in the future when they realize you were right (or never call at all). 

But to start, a passion for cooking can get you a long way. 

Nah I love the :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: you're not MOP bad
Truth be told, I used to love to get online and argue with anyone and everyone. Then one day, I realized it just didn't get me anywhere. So I put my energies into the website and writing and social media (promoting a business, not just screwing around on Facebook). So I get where you are coming from. I wasn't nice about it. Now I pretty much avoid that drama. No time for it and there is no benefit from it. 

Truth be told, I used to love to get online and argue with anyone and everyone. Then one day, I realized it just didn't get me anywhere. So I put my energies into the website and writing and social media (promoting a business, not just screwing around on Facebook). So I get where you are coming from. I wasn't nice about it. Now I pretty much avoid that drama. No time for it and there is no benefit from it. 
I hope so, wasn't all that excited to see you running around here again but if you've grown/changed/whatever good for you. The humble brag hasn't stopped though but as least you acknowledge your past :thumbup: But I do hope our GB @proninja can figure out how to do what you have said you're doing. He deserves it and is a great cook across any medium.

I hope so, wasn't all that excited to see you running around here again but if you've grown/changed/whatever good for you. The humble brag hasn't stopped though but as least you acknowledge your past :thumbup: But I do hope our GB @proninja can figure out how to do what you have said you're doing. He deserves it and is a great cook across any medium.
I pretty much avoid any sort of debate threads of any sort. Nobody convinces anyone else on any issue. What's the point? This is the only thread I look at in the free for all. And not having as much time to do the research on actual football keeps me as mainly a lurker in the Shark Pool. Don't have the knowledge to back an opinion anymore. 

As for Proninja, I would say this. Find a cool domain name that is free on FB, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, etc. Lock all that down. Have a Wordpress site built. Start creating content. Go to a blogger conference. Pony up the money. Don't try to figure it out on your own like I did because I was to stubborn and arrogant to ask for help. Get that knowledge early and it might only be doing it for free for 2 years instead of five. Take a photography class at a local community college. Cheap and will catapult your skills. Oh, buy a DSLR with an rotating flash. From there it's content, content, content. Make lots of great content. Reading some SEO basic articles in your free time is good too. That should keep you busy for a couple years. 

proninja said:
I've thought about this. This is awesome info, thank you. 

Do you feel something needs to be focused in order to he successful? Should I pick a more narrow focus or broad with perhaps a narrow target market? I like to grill, but I like to cook inside too. 
There is a lot more money to be made in cooking inside than out. The problem is there are proportionately more forks digging into that bigger pie. I charge way more (with less traffic) than most general food bloggers because there are only so many high quality grill bloggers out there. The cooking inside route will just take longer, but in the end there are more brands to work with when doing indoor cooking. I actually dabble in the inside stuff. I do a post every now and again and post it on cookinfools.com. So you could build a following with stuff outside quickly and dabble in the inside and build that up as well. 

That's awesome Fanatic. I didn't know you did the blog there. Good stuff and congrats.

J
It basically started because of these threads. We would share the pics on Image Shack and after a few years of that, I realized I had enough content to start a blog. So I moved the pics from Image Shack to my own site and had a ton of content almost over night. My earliest recipes were ones I shared on this board. 

proninja said:
Yes. Having a few friends over for dinner. I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. What are you grilling? 
Ironically, nothing. We go to my cousins who normally does a ham and then to my BiL's who normally has finger foods but nothing grilled. We have Memorial Day and Thanksgiving. We don't host Easter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
proninja said:
I'm thinking about doing a BBQ mix plate. Make a brisket, some pulled pork, and some chicken. Make other people bring sides.
Yeah, I don't do sides. I make the protein. Unless my guests want to go adkins, then they need to bring the sides. My wife usually coordinates all of that. 

bleachercreacher said:
Tenderloin.  I do pork loins a lot too though
I like tenderloin so much more, but harder to stuff them as they are so skinny. Love to flatten them out and spread cheese, herbs, whatever and roll them back up

proninja said:
I dig loin when it's cut into chops. I think most people dramatically overcook them. I like them at 135, wife can tolerate them at 140 (and so can I, so this is my normal temp) - I usually cook them in the immersion circulator straight from the freezer where I've got them salted, peppered with a little oil in the bag and then vacuum sealed. Actually have a pair on for lunch right now. Sometimes I sear after cooking them sous vide, sometimes after smoking them low and slow to get a good even cook. I'll smoke them when I have them fresh, SV when coming from the freezer. 

Today I'm going to make an avocado sauce to eat them with - I'm doing keto, gotta get the fat content up. :)
You've got the process down, my friend. I have a Sous Vide, but never used it. Too much planning involved. I do too much spur of the moment stuff to remember to use it. I should incorporate it into some sort of sponsored post. Maybe then I'll finally use the thing. 

proninja said:
Thank you!

I'm going to pet peeve you here for just a second, so my apologies in advance. You do not have a sous vide. You have an immersion circulator that cooks sous vide. Sort of like you have an oven, and the process you cook by is baking. Saying "I have a sous vide" is like saying "I have a baking." 

:stepsoffhighhorse:

I actually find SV to be by far the most convenient method of cooking. I've got pork chops, steak, and chicken breast salted/peppered/oiled and sealed in the freezer, and some chicken thighs sealed with garlic/ginger/fish sauce/soy sauce. My wife can drop them into the water bath anytime between 2 and 5, and when I get home at 7:30 I just sear and we eat. When I do all the prep right after I go shopping it makes dinner during the week reeeeally easy. I smoke when I have time. IC when I don't. You do have to think a couple hours in advance if you're cooking from frozen though. 
I was going to go back and put Sous Vide "device" or immersion cooker, but then, you know, SQUIRREL!! My ADD took over and I was off on something else. 

Oh, and one of my favorite stuffed pork tenderloin recipes. Did I mention it's wrapped in a bacon weave?

Thinking of doing a boneless leg of lamb on the BGE on Sunday, have never cooked one on the grill or anywhere else. I saw a recipe in the paper yesterday where you spread an herb and walnut pesto all over one side, roll it up, tie it up and cook at 400 for an hour or so. Might go that route but wondering if anyone else has done something they liked. 

Smoking two chickens and a small pork shoulder for Easter. Doing the pork Kalua style and using an apple juice brine for the chickens. Supposed to be a nice day up this way with maybe a little rain in the morning. Should be a good time!

I bought a Weber Kettle grill for $5 at a garage sale the other day.  I brined and cooked a whole chicken last night and it was delicious.  :thumbup:  

My parents always had a charcoal grill but this was the first time I used one.  Pretty simple and great results.  Looking forward to cooking something this weekend.

proninja said:
Random question, since I actually did this experiment (and it would probably be useful to others too.) Have you ever left the thermometer in after you pull the meat off the grill to see what happens? 

I pulled this off at 132. The picture is after 10 minutes. I was sort of shocked. It isn't a big cut of meat. 
I remember testing the whole, "After you remove the meat, it will continue to cook" thing a couple times and each time I got the same results which was, the temp never really rose. More like it stayed the same. This was many years ago. I'm thinking I need to give this another go and see what happens. 

Thinking of doing a boneless leg of lamb on the BGE on Sunday, have never cooked one on the grill or anywhere else. I saw a recipe in the paper yesterday where you spread an herb and walnut pesto all over one side, roll it up, tie it up and cook at 400 for an hour or so. Might go that route but wondering if anyone else has done something they liked. 
When you say "one side" and "roll it up" this implies to me that you are going to butterfly it out or spiral slice it so you can lay the meat flat and then make a meat roll out of it. Is that correct? 

As for the pesto, I LOVE pesto on lamb. I take lamb racks, salt, slather in pesto and put in plastic for a few hours to overnight. Then sear and serve (I like my lamb still bleating).

proninja said:
I'd imagine what temp you cook at has a lot to do with it. Sadly, I don't remember what I was cooking at. This was on a Traeger though, so I can't imagine it would have been over 350. 
Maybe it's the size. I tested it on steak if I recall. That pic looked like a roast. 

I bought a Weber Kettle grill for $5 at a garage sale the other day.  I brined and cooked a whole chicken last night and it was delicious.  :thumbup:  

My parents always had a charcoal grill but this was the first time I used one.  Pretty simple and great results.  Looking forward to cooking something this weekend.
Remember, the vents are your friends. If cooking on a gas grill, you turn the dial up or down to increase or lower your heat. On a weber (or pretty much any grill), it's your vents that control the amount of air the fire gets and thus how hot the grill gets. 75% of cooking on a weber is vent management. The other 25% is dealing with different weather conditions (cooking at 275 on a 95 degree day as opposed to cooking at 275 on a 40 degree day).

I was going to go back and put Sous Vide "device" or immersion cooker, but then, you know, SQUIRREL!! My ADD took over and I was off on something else. 

Oh, and one of my favorite stuffed pork tenderloin recipes. Did I mention it's wrapped in a bacon weave?
Any idea on what an expected time/temp for this recipe done low and slow would be?  250 for 2 hours ish?

edit - i do have a good meat thermometer, just asking for planning purposes

I remember testing the whole, "After you remove the meat, it will continue to cook" thing a couple times and each time I got the same results which was, the temp never really rose. More like it stayed the same. This was many years ago. I'm thinking I need to give this another go and see what happens. 
Same here, never rose. I've only ever tried with chops and breasts and steak, never anything bigger

Any idea on what an expected time/temp for this recipe done low and slow would be?  250 for 2 hours ish?

edit - i do have a good meat thermometer, just asking for planning purposes
Idk if you read the recipe but he says 400° for half an hour 

Yeah, I did.  Electric smoker only goes up to 275, so low and slow it is!
Every grill is different. Size of the meat varies. Weather can have an impact. All of these things are why I try not to say, "Cook for 2 hours at ____ degrees." There could be vastly different outcomes there. 

Every grill is different. Size of the meat varies. Weather can have an impact. All of these things are why I try not to say, "Cook for 2 hours at ____ degrees." There could be vastly different outcomes there. 
Yeah, I get it.  Was more asking from a "If I want to eat around 4pm, about how much time should I plan for?" perspective.  I've been a propane griller for a long time and definitely have gotten used to every piece of meat being different, I'm just trying to get my head around general low temp (approximate) smoking times.

Yeah, I get it.  Was more asking from a "If I want to eat around 4pm, about how much time should I plan for?" perspective.  I've been a propane griller for a long time and definitely have gotten used to every piece of meat being different, I'm just trying to get my head around general low temp (approximate) smoking times.
If I had to guess, maybe an hour. I would be checking temps at 45 minutes. 

I'm with ya. I'm sure if you Google " smoked pork tenderloin 2 lb 275°" or whatever you'll get a good idea

I hate looking up input on BBQ forums and many people chime in with "it's done when it's done".  I rarely need an exact time, but a general window of timing would be helpful. 

Nigel said:
What i would do is spiral it out, salt the top, slather the pesto on that side, roll it up, tie it off and place it in the fridge over night. The next day, salt and pepper the outside, smoke indirect until it hits about 110 and then sear it off over high heat. That should get you to about 130. If you want it more done, then smoke indirect to 120 and then sear or even 130 if you want to go even more well done. 

What i would do is spiral it out, salt the top, slather the pesto on that side, roll it up, tie it off and place it in the fridge over night. The next day, salt and pepper the outside, smoke indirect until it hits about 110 and then sear it off over high heat. That should get you to about 130. If you want it more done, then smoke indirect to 120 and then sear or even 130 if you want to go even more well done. 
Thanks, here's the recipe I'm going with, using BGE instead of oven:

Boneless leg of lamb

Users who are viewing this thread