What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Does anyone have an interesting sauce for pork chops? I've done caramelized apples with cinnamon and nutmeg, marsala, etc. Just wondering if anyone had anything different they'd recommend?

Thick cut, bone in monsters. I'm going to grill them on low heat and then finish in my skillet. :drool:

Does anyone have an interesting sauce for pork chops? I've done caramelized apples with cinnamon and nutmeg, marsala, etc. Just wondering if anyone had anything different they'd recommend?

Thick cut, bone in monsters. I'm going to grill them on low heat and then finish in my skillet. :drool:
Not a sauce but I Iike to do pork chops in an apple bourbon brine.Then rub them with brown sugar and cinnamon before grilling.

Grahamburn said:

Not a sauce, and I'm far from a grilling expert, but I love his pork rub - Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon

I've had the secret weapon, venison rub, and chicken/game bird rubs. All 3 are fantastic.

need some advice from the experts

smoking a 9 lb pork shoulder/butt this Sunday...I was assuming 1 hr/lb but after some research I see it can be up to 1.5/lb

any idea which one it tends to be closer to? FWIW I don't have the best smoker (offset smoker/grill combo) but I can generally get it in the 225-250F range and keep it there

also we'll only have 8-10 people, so I'm guessing that's more than enough pork...was thinking of maybe cutting it in half and just doing 5 lbs for a shorter cook time and then freezing the rest for another day down the road...any issues with this? would a 5 lb butt be enough for that many people?

smoking a 9 lb pork shoulder/butt this Sunday...I was assuming 1 hr/lb but after some research I see it can be up to 1.5/lb

any idea which one it tends to be closer to? FWIW I don't have the best smoker (offset smoker/grill combo) but I can generally get it in the 225-250F range and keep it there

also we'll only have 8-10 people, so I'm guessing that's more than enough pork...was thinking of maybe cutting it in half and just doing 5 lbs for a shorter cook time and then freezing the rest for another day down the road...any issues with this? would a 5 lb butt be enough for that many people?
Start extra early and just pull it, wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler if it finishes early. I've "kept" a shoulder several hours this way and still had it hot enough to make it hard to handle when you pull it.

Start extra early and just pull it, wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler if it finishes early. I've "kept" a shoulder several hours this way and still had it hot enough to make it hard to handle when you pull it.
this is what I'm trying to avoid since we're planning to eat around 5...

Than smoke it over night or the day before. Reheat it in a crockpot

Bigboy10182000 said:
Dan Lambskin said:
Drifter said:
Dan Lambskin said:

Than smoke it over night or the day before. Reheat it in a crockpot
I don't think you'll need to reheat it. I've found it's closer to 2 hrs. per lb at 225. I did one a few weeks back, put it on at 1 AM on Friday night and it finished about 3:30 Saturday afternoon. 7.8 lb butt at 225 with 6 oz of chunk hickory. Took it off at 202 degrees internal, double wrapped in heavy duty foil and held in the oven (turned off) for 2 hours. Still piping hot at 5:30. Also put a disposable pie pan in the smoker below the butt and then put the drippings in a pot with the leftover injection and rub and boiled it. Whisked in a few cups of apple juice and it made a terrific bath for a scoop of pork before hitting a kaiser or onion roll. Served with BBQ sauce, slaw, and pickle slices. Went over BIG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drifter said:
Dan Lambskin said:

This. Pork is so simple this way, you shouldn't have to worry about timing. I just double wrap in heavy duty foil, wrap it in an towel and place it in a cooler. I've had them sit for 3+ hours and they were still too hot to pull by hand. Also, just placing it in the oven (Oven is kept off obviously) wrapped up works too.

Also, for anyone who doesn't want/need the hobby of tending a fire and prefers the "lazy que" approach, I can highly recommend the Smokin' It electric smokers. Virtually idiot proof, tremendous smoke and heat retention. Smoke flavor as good as any stick burner I have ever eaten from with none of the effort. The only thing you won't get is a smoke ring, but that only affects visual appeal, not flavor. They're not as cheap as some of the ones you'll find at Home Depot, but they're not crazy expensive and they're really well made. Hand crafted and built to LAST. Perform like a frigging champ too.

Also, for anyone who doesn't want/need the hobby of tending a fire and prefers the "lazy que" approach, I can highly recommend the Smokin' It electric smokers. Virtually idiot proof, tremendous smoke and heat retention. Smoke flavor as good as any stick burner I have ever eaten from with none of the effort. The only thing you won't get is a smoke ring, but that only affects visual appeal, not flavor. They're not as cheap as some of the ones you'll find at Home Depot, but they're not crazy expensive and they're really well made. Hand crafted and built to LAST. Perform like a frigging champ too.
Good to know. I've got a Kamado Joe, and I love the #### out of it, but I'm thinking of getting an electric so I can have higher capacity, as well as something other people can run without worrying. I've been looking real hard at the Bradley 39", but need more suggestions/input from people who have them.

Why no smoke ring? Is it because it's sealed? You still use real wood right?

Anyone in here use a Bradley?

I'm guess I'm gonna start it around 5 am and hope for the best...worst case my guests go home hungry and I have BBQ pork sammiches for lunch all week

Good to know. I've got a Kamado Joe, and I love the #### out of it, but I'm thinking of getting an electric so I can have higher capacity, as well as something other people can run without worrying. I've been looking real hard at the Bradley 39", but need more suggestions/input from people who have them. Why no smoke ring? Is it because it's sealed? You still use real wood right?

Uses real wood, but there's no combustion and hence no smoke ring. It provides a very airtight and humid smoking environment so you get moist meat, though.

I thought long and hard about the Bradley but I read a few reviews from people who said the disc feeder system malfunctions a lot, and that the discs can be pricey and hard to find. Mine can use any kind of wood you want to put in there, so it provides a ton of flavoring options. There's also almost nothing to break, only the heating element, which is cheap and easy to swap out if it fails. The rest of the unit is just stainless steel and built like a tank.

I'm guess I'm gonna start it around 5 am and hope for the best...worst case my guests go home hungry and I have BBQ pork sammiches for lunch all week
If you're doing an 8-9 lb. butt, you'd better go more like 250-275 if you want it to be done by 5. 225, forget it. A rest period before serving is advised as well.ETA: Unless you wrap the pork after a few hours, then you can power through the stall and likely get done in 12 hours, but I'm not a fan of wrapping. You get better bark by leaving it as is throughout the cook. Just my personal preference.

Any thoughts on how long it will take to smoke about 4.8 lbs of beef roast (sirloin tip)? It's actually 2 roasts, about 2.2-2.5 lbs each.

I am thinking around 5 hours at 220 - sound right? I was thinking of starting around 11 am to ensure a 5:30 meal time, and just use the foil/cooler method to keep the meat warm if they happen to finish early.

Any thoughts on how long it will take to smoke about 4.8 lbs of beef roast (sirloin tip)? It's actually 2 roasts, about 2.2-2.5 lbs each.

I am thinking around 5 hours at 220 - sound right? I was thinking of starting around 11 am to ensure a 5:30 meal time, and just use the foil/cooler method to keep the meat warm if they happen to finish early.
Likely won't even take that long, depends on the internal temp you're looking for. With a roast, I like to go med rare, so I'd be pulling it in the 130s, rather than going to 200 degrees like with a butt or brisket.I wouldn't be shocked if it's done in an hour or two if you're going medium rare.

Did my first brisket yesterday.

From the BGE thread:

So the brisket came out very good. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it on the grill until 2:30pm. With that in mind, I raised the temp to around 250. It went through the stall at around 169 for a few hours and the temp started to rise again at about 8:30. I had to abandon my original plan to maintain 250 throughout and raised it up to 350, pushing the internal temp to 200 within the next hour. I pulled it off and instead of wrapping and putting it in a cooler, I just covered it in foil and let it sit for about a half hour. It tasted great but could have used a little more time to make it more tender.

No complaints. I knew I had to alter things because of the late start. At least I didn't ruin it! :banned:

From the BGE thread:

So the brisket came out very good. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it on the grill until 2:30pm. With that in mind, I raised the temp to around 250. It went through the stall at around 169 for a few hours and the temp started to rise again at about 8:30. I had to abandon my original plan to maintain 250 throughout and raised it up to 350, pushing the internal temp to 200 within the next hour. I pulled it off and instead of wrapping and putting it in a cooler, I just covered it in foil and let it sit for about a half hour. It tasted great but could have used a little more time to make it more tender.

No complaints. I knew I had to alter things because of the late start. At least I didn't ruin it! :banned:
Flat or a packer?

From the BGE thread:

Flat or a packer?
6 lb. flat

If you're doing an 8-9 lb. butt, you'd better go more like 250-275 if you want it to be done by 5. 225, forget it. A rest period before serving is advised as well.ETA: Unless you wrap the pork after a few hours, then you can power through the stall and likely get done in 12 hours, but I'm not a fan of wrapping. You get better bark by leaving it as is throughout the cook. Just my personal preference.
Got it on about 4:30...up to 161 but things appear to have stalled (as expected) Hopefully can get it to 195 in the next 4 hours

Got it on about 4:30...up to 161 but things appear to have stalled (as expected) Hopefully can get it to 195 in the next 4 hours
You got a shot, all depends on the meat. Worst case scenario, wrap it in foil. You'll sacrifice bark, but it will bypass the stall.

I go to about 202 for pulled pork, but 195 will get it done.

I would let it do it's thing through the stall, maintaining the temp, and once you see it break out, raise the temp to make up some time.

I gave up the 225 route years ago. I do everything at 300 now. Briskets done in 7 hours, pork shoulders in 6. Baby back ribs in 2. If it's good enough for Myron Mixon, its good enough for me.

Just got my new Weber Smokey Mountain (18.5"). Can you guys give me some input on how much charcoal to start with? I'm doing 4 chickens and some fatties this weekend.

I have a pretty good idea on what was needed on my old Char Broil model. But since you can control the air flow and temps on the Weber, I want to make sure I get it started well. I read some stuff on the virtual weber site about minion method using the charcoal chimney, but I think the Weber chimneys are big. I have two of these that hold 4 lbs. charcoal each. Go with both of those to start?

Just got my new Weber Smokey Mountain (18.5"). Can you guys give me some input on how much charcoal to start with? I'm doing 4 chickens and some fatties this weekend.

I have a pretty good idea on what was needed on my old Char Broil model. But since you can control the air flow and temps on the Weber, I want to make sure I get it started well. I read some stuff on the virtual weber site about minion method using the charcoal chimney, but I think the Weber chimneys are big. I have two of these that hold 4 lbs. charcoal each. Go with both of those to start?
Half ring unlit, 1/3 chimney lite will get you 5-6 hours of 225-250

Yeah, pretty much this. I never light more than a half chimney, but you want much more than that (plus any smoking wood) unlit.

That's about where I'm at.

Here are a few mistakes I made with mine:

-I trusted the thermometer on the WSM. Mine reads low, so I burned through a lot of extra charcoal running hotter than I wanted. Get a second thermometer.

-I usually do my pork shoulders overnight, so I was hoping for a longer burn. I filled the bottom up with unlit charcoal and then put a chimney's worth on top. The coals ended up touching the water pan and burned like crap.

-Should have been obvious, but I'm an idiot... if you're cooking the same food on each rack, there will be a definite difference in cook times.

Yeah, pretty much this. I never light more than a half chimney, but you want much more than that (plus any smoking wood) unlit.
When you guys say half or a third, how big are your chimneys? (not a euphemism)

When you guys say half or a third, how big are your chimneys? (not a euphemism)
I use the large Weber Chrome

http://www.firecraft.com/product/weber-rapid-fire-chimney-starter-7416/low-dollar-accessoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CjkKEQjww6SdBRDls9vxsf7EoM0BEiQART_xPtXM60mATKTvS41e1HkLAfdrwvFQhk7d91B9ulGQbF3w_wcB

What's the current best practice of Minion method? I always though you put the hot coals in a space next to the unlit, but I see a lot where the hot coals are dumped on top of the unlit. Any difference?

What's the current best practice of Minion method? I always though you put the hot coals in a space next to the unlit, but I see a lot where the hot coals are dumped on top of the unlit. Any difference?
Follow the below link. It's from a prime rib smoke I did a while back and shows how I start my smoker. In the middle is an empty can with both ends cut out. I drop like 5-7 lit coals and pull out.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141715/first-prime-rib-w-q-view

Follow the below link. It's from a prime rib smoke I did a while back and shows how I start my smoker. In the middle is an empty can with both ends cut out. I drop like 5-7 lit coals and pull out.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141715/first-prime-rib-w-q-view
Damn that prime rib looks awesome.

Only 7 lit coals?? This unfathomable to me. I know I'm going to end up getting nervous and ignoring everyone's advice and will have this thing blazing at 400 degrees.

Follow the below link. It's from a prime rib smoke I did a while back and shows how I start my smoker. In the middle is an empty can with both ends cut out. I drop like 5-7 lit coals and pull out.http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141715/first-prime-rib-w-q-view

Only 7 lit coals?? This unfathomable to me. I know I'm going to end up getting nervous and ignoring everyone's advice and will have this thing blazing at 400 degrees.
I arrange my unlit charcoal in a ring in my WSM and then dump a full chimney-worth of lit coals right into the middle of the ring. This method generally always works great for me for long sustained cooks, and I haven't had any issues with the smoker getting too hot using a full chimney worth of hot coals. My WSM will typically hover around 250 degrees for many hours with this technique. Even if it were to get too hot, you can just adjust your vents or add more water to your water pan. I wouldn't skimp on the amount of lit coals.

I've tried making a ring of unlit coals and dumping the hot coals in the middle, I've tried the fuse method, and I've tried just dumping coals on top. Dumping on top seems to work best for me... the other methods took way too long for me to get up to temperature. But it wasn't summer when I did them, and I'm in WI, so...

Think of your ring in terms of a doughnut, you want your unlit coals to be the doighnut and your lit coals to be the hole. I bought a coal shovel from a place that deals in fireplace tools and I use this to create my hole in the charcoal. I also place two dampers 1/2 open and never change them and use the 3rd damper to adjust temps by opening and closing it as needed

Follow the below link. It's from a prime rib smoke I did a while back and shows how I start my smoker. In the middle is an empty can with both ends cut out. I drop like 5-7 lit coals and pull out.http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141715/first-prime-rib-w-q-view

Thanks.

Yeah roughly 7. After I pull the can out I reassemble the WSM, open all 3 vents at the bottom all the way - always keep the one on the lid all the way open. Once you get the temp to what you want (say 225-250) I close 2 of the 3 all the way and leave the remaining one a third of the way open. It will hold that temp for a very long time without you having to mess with the vents.

I would sure hope this is a honda by now, but I for one definitely prefer to smoke (well, vape) while I grill. :thumbup:

:stonedbanana:

Need to mix it up for the 4th. Need some new and interesting recipes. Anyone?

Thinking of trying those bacon o-rings, but not sure I've got the 75 hours of prep time it looks like they require.

Need to mix it up for the 4th. Need some new and interesting recipes. Anyone?

Thinking of trying those bacon o-rings, but not sure I've got the 75 hours of prep time it looks like they require.
How about a fatty

or a Turkey- they're not just for the holidays you know

Stuffed bell peppers

stuffed Beef Roast

Split Lobster Tails

Stuffed Pork Loin

Good to know. I've got a Kamado Joe, and I love the #### out of it, but I'm thinking of getting an electric so I can have higher capacity, as well as something other people can run without worrying. I've been looking real hard at the Bradley 39", but need more suggestions/input from people who have them. Why no smoke ring? Is it because it's sealed? You still use real wood right?

Uses real wood, but there's no combustion and hence no smoke ring. It provides a very airtight and humid smoking environment so you get moist meat, though.

I thought long and hard about the Bradley but I read a few reviews from people who said the disc feeder system malfunctions a lot, and that the discs can be pricey and hard to find. Mine can use any kind of wood you want to put in there, so it provides a ton of flavoring options. There's also almost nothing to break, only the heating element, which is cheap and easy to swap out if it fails. The rest of the unit is just stainless steel and built like a tank.
Do you still get the bark using the Smokin It?

Uses real wood, but there's no combustion and hence no smoke ring. It provides a very airtight and humid smoking environment so you get moist meat, though.I thought long and hard about the Bradley but I read a few reviews from people who said the disc feeder system malfunctions a lot, and that the discs can be pricey and hard to find. Mine can use any kind of wood you want to put in there, so it provides a ton of flavoring options. There's also almost nothing to break, only the heating element, which is cheap and easy to swap out if it fails. The rest of the unit is just stainless steel and built like a tank.
Do you still get the bark using the Smokin It?
Absolutely. The only real downside to it besides the lack of smoke ring is that it only goes up to 250 degrees, so if you want to cook hot and fast, you have to transfer whatever you're making from the smoker to an oven after it has enough smoke on it. Hasn't been an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread