What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Smoked some brined chicken thighs yesterday. Didn't remember the notes in here about crisping the skin, so I went low/slow: 225 for about 90 minutes.

Tasted great but the skin was like chewing on a deflated balloon. Next time I'll pull them out at 150 and crisp up on a screaming hot grill for a few minutes.
Scraping the skins is really the only way to get them bite through.
What about salting the #### out of them and then go direct heat?
I never cook chicken (or turkey) low/slow anymore. I used to swear by Joe Bryant's famous chicken recipe outlined on this board many years ago, but switched a while back and now almost always roast chicken on the grill on medium/high heat. Brine, season, and cook at about 350-400 until almost done, then open it up and sear on high heat at the end to crisp the skin.

I'm loading up my Weber Smoky Mountain with 4 10-pound pork shoulders tonight for a party I'm having tomorrow. It will be the most meat that I've ever smoked at one time. I know the cook will take significantly longer than usual, but does anyone have any tips of what to expect for smoking that much meat?

I'm doing my first smoker pork shoulder today. I took a big ### Costco vac pack 13 lb-er and split it in thirds. We're having early dinner tonight, so I started the thing at 6AM (no alarm clock needed sadly). I know these things take a long time to cook, but then I saw a temp of 155 before 9AM. Panic! Fortunately, it's now 1:30 at it's at 185F and creeping up to 190. As a newb, getting the hang of 'how long will this take to cook' is the most frustrating part of process. I know not to expect the cook to hit a 5 minute window and I know that with most things you can stick in foil and cooler, but it's still a lil frustrating. I guess this is part of the art & know-how.

Planning to do steaks on the charcoal tonight. I'd also like to do baked potatoes on the charcoal, but I've never done it before.

It seems pretty simple:

Poke holes

rub with olive oil

salt/season

double-wrap in foil

Throw on the grill for 30-60 minuts until soft.

Any special techniques or thoughts on this?

Planning to do steaks on the charcoal tonight. I'd also like to do baked potatoes on the charcoal, but I've never done it before.

It seems pretty simple:

Poke holes

rub with olive oil

salt/season

double-wrap in foil

You don't really need to double wrap them but just remember to flip them every 15 minutes or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigboy10182000 said:
ClownCausedChaos2 said:

It seems pretty simple:

Poke holes

rub with olive oil

salt/season

double-wrap in foil

You don't really need to double wrap them but just remember to flip them every 15 minutes or so.
Thanks for the tip. 'Preciate it.

Have a question about injecting.

Sort of 2 parts, I guess.

Can you inject just chicken breasts you're going to grill? If so, can you put in a mix of things like honey, dijon mustard and the like? I don't want to do this if those types of ingredients messes up the injector.

TIA

Smoked some brined chicken thighs yesterday. Didn't remember the notes in here about crisping the skin, so I went low/slow: 225 for about 90 minutes.

Tasted great but the skin was like chewing on a deflated balloon. Next time I'll pull them out at 150 and crisp up on a screaming hot grill for a few minutes.
I never cook chicken (or turkey) low/slow anymore. I used to swear by Joe Bryant's famous chicken recipe outlined on this board many years ago, but switched a while back and now almost always roast chicken on the grill on medium/high heat. Brine, season, and cook at about 350-400 until almost done, then open it up and sear on high heat at the end to crisp the skin.
Yep.

Bone in thighs are my go to now

Wrap skin evenly around the thigh and pin with toothpick through both sides of skin (passing under bone)

Coat in rub & Place skin up indirect for 30-45 mins till almost done

Finish skin down direct heat for a few mins until the skin crisps but before it chars.

Sauce, Cool & Serve.

Heaven... rave comments every time

Haven't followed this topic for a long time but I'm having a blast with this blasphemous little toy. If it's a honda, sorry. Fish, chicken, jalapenos, cheese, and salt have all come out great. You basically use real smoke pumped from the gadget at the end of cooking the same way you would salt and pepper to taste.

It seems pretty simple:

Poke holes

rub with olive oil

salt/season

double-wrap in foil

I'll usually microwave them for 3-5 min first...cuts down the cook time quite a bit

For potatoes on the grill should I have them over indirect heat?

Gas grill for me. Got a flank steak marinating now and was just going to microwave baked potatoes but they always come out tasting like crap that way.

I seem to remember trying to do potatoes on the grill before and never getting them to cook all the way through

It seems pretty simple:

Poke holes

rub with olive oil

salt/season

double-wrap in foil

I'll usually microwave them for 3-5 min first...cuts down the cook time quite a bit
I double-wrapped, poked holes in the foil and put over (not in or on) the charcoal on the grill for 60 minutes. Potatoes were soft and the skin was crisp. They were awesome.

While im in here.

How does one soften up or make more pliable packaged corn tortillas?

Wrap them in a damp cloth and microwave for 30 seconds work?

For potatoes on the grill should I have them over indirect heat?

Gas grill for me. Got a flank steak marinating now and was just going to microwave baked potatoes but they always come out tasting like crap that way.

I seem to remember trying to do potatoes on the grill before and never getting them to cook all the way through
Sorry GB can't help with gas grill.

I'd assume indirect though since it's essentially just an oven at that point

While im in here.

How does one soften up or make more pliable packaged corn tortillas?

Wrap them in a damp cloth and microwave for 30 seconds work?
That works. Heating them in a pan with a few drops of water or oil also does it.

Btw, the secret, for me anyway, for pliable homemade corn tortillas is guar gum. I found it or some gum on almost all packaged tort ingredients. Bought some, followed instructions and finally, homemade truly better than store bought. It took a couple years.

Pork ribs on the smoker tomorrow. 3-2-1 method still the preferred route?
After a bit of reading, I discovered this is known as the "Texas Crutch" and generally looked on with disfavor.

I did a straight 5 hours and they were fantastic. Finished half with sauce on the gas grill after the 5 hours, left the other half on the smoker while the sauce caramelized on the others.

I have been using this bbq technique for a few years now. it hasn't let me down yet

the link has a video

pretty much

get a whole chicken then cut into halves with deep scores in the breast

let the halves sit in the below recipe for a hour breast down

1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp barbecue sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic

after the hour pat chicken dry, apply rub (below) generously

1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

on a hot grill place the breast side down for 5 minutes to get marks

then for the remainder of the cook it bone down in a closed grill. apply bbq sauce every 10 minutes to make a glaze as it cooks

helps avoid the bbq sauce from burning up due to flipping etc

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/08/kinder-and-gentler-barbecue-chicken.html

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/08/kinder-and-gentler-barbecue-chicken.html

After a bit of reading, I discovered this is known as the "Texas Crutch" and generally looked on with disfavor.

I did a straight 5 hours and they were fantastic. Finished half with sauce on the gas grill after the 5 hours, left the other half on the smoker while the sauce caramelized on the others.
Don't listen to anyone who says foiling ribs is "Cheating" is a fool. I don't fault the purists, but there are few if any winning comp bbq teams who DON'T foil ribs.

Love my performer deluxe. Either lump or briquettes work fine, just stick with plain kingsford for the latter. No Match Light, no accelerants. Put a full chimney over the starter for a few minutes, then turn it off.

For individual servings (steaks, chicken, burgers, sausage, fish), dump coals on the far side so you have 1/2 to 1/3 of the bottom with coals and the rest without. Bottom vents stay fully open. The piling of the coals creates a hot side (direct heat) and a cool side (indirect heat). If you're getting flareups or too much char, drag the food toward the cooler side and just "bake" with the lid closed. Slide it back as you think you need. Pick up the beer sitting on the big work table and drink. Repeat. For bigger things like roasts or whole chicken, try piling coals on sides and leave a "cool" middle.

Start with the top vents also fully open but if you think it's too hot, start closing the top, bit by bit, until you feel better about the temp. I rarely do this but YMMV.

Not required but I've taken to rubbing a little canola or veg oil on my hot grill before cooking. Makes cleanup a little easier.

Enjoy!

Don't listen to anyone who says foiling ribs is "Cheating" is a fool. I don't fault the purists, but there are few if any winning comp bbq teams who DON'T foil ribs.
3-2-1 is a fair guidline for whole spares but anything above 225 and 6 hours going to be too long a cook time, foiling, as far as I know, and I am a purist, is not frowned upon.

Start with the top vents also fully open but if you think it's too hot, start closing the top, bit by bit, until you feel better about the temp. I rarely do this but YMMV.
The only time you should ever adjust your top damper is when you are done cooking and you want to save the fuel still on the grill. Always adjust your air flow by adjusting the bottom dampers.

Grilled some burgers last night. Liked them. I think I need to break out the Blackstone griddle this week. Stopped using it in January when it got really friggin cold and got out of the habit of using it.

I'm sure it's been posted in here before, but when making burgers... Use 2 or 3 parts 80/20 beef to 1 part breakfast sausage (hot/mild depending on your preference).

:thumbup:

Haven't followed this topic for a long time but I'm having a blast with this blasphemous little toy. If it's a honda, sorry. Fish, chicken, jalapenos, cheese, and salt have all come out great. You basically use real smoke pumped from the gadget at the end of cooking the same way you would salt and pepper to taste.
I bake my pizza crust for five minutes before adding sauce, cheese, toppings. Today for grins I pumped smoke into my oven while the crust was alone. I used Pecan and set the smoke detector off in my kitchen, but sure enough that pie tasted wood-fired when all was said and done. It's a brilliant device, imo.

Had maybe my best brisket yet doing the WSM "high heat" method yesterday. Recipe calls for 325+ but I generally go 275 or so since I generally do flats. I cut off the small piece of point attached to my six pound flat and had my first go round at burnt ends. Used too much rub on the burnt ends I think, but they were still very popular.

I'm sure it's been posted in here before, but when making burgers... Use 2 or 3 parts 80/20 beef to 1 part breakfast sausage (hot/mild depending on your preference).

:thumbup:
We do 50-50 ground beef and pork, It gives them kind of a sweet flavor so I hit them up with a barbecue sauce like The Shed Southern Sweet when they're almost done.

Only bad part is there's no such thing as rare and the burger is pretty grey on the inside.

3-2-1 is a fair guidline for whole spares but anything above 225 and 6 hours going to be too long a cook time, foiling, as far as I know, and I am a purist, is not frowned upon.
Maybe that's too strong a term. I was reading where foiling (with liquid) is called the "Texas Crutch" and basically boils/steams the meat, which may dilute the flavor.

Also, I think I'm going to go with sand in the water pan because WTF do I do with a half gallon of greasy hot water afterward?

A lot of talk about brine, any great FBG recipes for a brine, chicken and anything else. How long would you marinate in the brine?

After a bit of reading, I discovered this is known as the "Texas Crutch" and generally looked on with disfavor.I did a straight 5 hours and they were fantastic. Finished half with sauce on the gas grill after the 5 hours, left the other half on the smoker while the sauce caramelized on the others.
Maybe that's too strong a term. I was reading where foiling (with liquid) is called the "Texas Crutch" and basically boils/steams the meat, which may dilute the flavor.
Texas crutch doesn't apply to ribs as the whole point to the 3 2 1 or 2 2 1 method is the middle number is spent foiled. 3hrs open 2 foiled 1 open.

It's amazing what 48 hours will do to some chicken breasts (or steak) if you thrown them in a zip lock back with some coke and teriyakisauce.

Yep.

Bone in thighs are my go to now

Wrap skin evenly around the thigh and pin with toothpick through both sides of skin (passing under bone)

Coat in rub & Place skin up indirect for 30-45 mins till almost done

Finish skin down direct heat for a few mins until the skin crisps but before it chars.

Sauce, Cool & Serve.

Heaven... rave comments every time
I tried this yesterday and it came out very good. I used Memphis Dust as the rub

next time ill completely remove the skin and trim it to size so I can avoid the overlap. ill be able to apply more rub underneath the skin as well

went with Stubb's Sweet Heat bbq :thumbup:

They are probably refering to Beef such as brisket

Also, I think I'm going to go with sand in the water pan because WTF do I do with a half gallon of greasy hot water afterward?
Couple of tips

Make sure you get good quality playground sand, Home Depot and Lowes carries it in 5 LBs bags fairly cheap.

Always double or triple foil your pan when using sand so when the time comes to clean you can just remove the dirty top layer and replace it.

Make sure your initial covering of foil is water tight, moisture getting into your sand will turn it into concrete.

My family is having a rib "cookoff" at our anual camping trip at the end of July. Anyone done BRITU?

Can I season the ribs the night before we leave and vacuum seal them to be smoked a couple of days later? I tent camp while the rest of my family has campers so my prep area will be somewhat limited. Also worried about bugs when prepping outdoors and needing to leave the ribs sit out for a while.
I wouldn't leave salt on ribs that long for fear they turn "hammy". You could pre-mix your rub and take it with you to save time and space but I try to minimize the time I apply rub to ribs to a couple hours at most..

My family is having a rib "cookoff" at our anual camping trip at the end of July. Anyone done BRITU?

Can I season the ribs the night before we leave and vacuum seal them to be smoked a couple of days later? I tent camp while the rest of my family has campers so my prep area will be somewhat limited. Also worried about bugs when prepping outdoors and needing to leave the ribs sit out for a while.
the link talks about sweetening up the sauce. You might also consider Roxy's Rib Glaze

Users who are viewing this thread