What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (8 Viewers)

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
The statute requires a concurrent unlawful act, like running a red light or failing to yield. Not sure how hit and run wouldn't qualify. He was intixicated when he hit the bicyclist and when he drove away presumably. 
My reading is concurrent citation *or* negligence.  Denying the first half is dubious but the police are in the position to judge.  Denying the second is straight up ridiculous without looking at any caselaw.  

Yeah, this has come up before a couple of times.  The felony DUI statute (Cal. Veh. Code § 23153, if anyone wants to get all researchy) says:

"It is unlawful for a person, while under the influence of any alcoholic beverage, to drive a vehicle and concurrently do any act forbidden by law, or neglect any duty imposed by law in driving the vehicle, which act or neglect proximately causes bodily injury to any person other than the driver"

There's a line of cases that says that a hit and run charge won't qualify to enhance a misdemeanor DUI into a felony under 23153, because a hit and run does not usually "proximately cause bodily injury" to anyone.  In other words, in your "garden variety" hit and run, the act of fleeing, which breaks the law, doesn't cause injury.  There could be an exception where the failure to stop and render aid worsens the victim's injuries and therefore does indeed cause injury, or the fleeing driver collides with someone else and thereby causes injury, but that isn't the usual fact pattern and doesn't seem to apply here.  Hence, no felony DUI.  I don't like this technicality and I know that several prosecutors would like it changed, but I think the Kern DA is applying the law correctly.    

Note that there is no similar language in the hit and run statute, which is why (I assume) this gentleperson was charged with felony hit and run.  That was enhanced by the DUI. 

So give everyone a participation trophy and let them practice. 
More like stop letting a profession that's clearly trying to protect the current practitioners at the expense of the next generation keep the next generation from being allowed to practice.  

2/3 of people who have graduated law school and presumably studied fail the bar in California. That's ridiculous. Especially since the state's average Multistate Bar Exam score is about 40 points over the national average. 

More like stop letting a profession that's clearly trying to protect the current practitioners at the expense of the next generation keep the next generation from being allowed to practice.  

2/3 of people who have graduated law school and presumably studied fail the bar in California. That's ridiculous. Especially since the state's average Multistate Bar Exam score is about 40 points over the national average. 
Well, they let people from non accredited schools like The People's College Of Law take it too.  It was funny when Kathleen Sullivan failed it when she was dean at Stanford Law. 

I'm all for that  :P

But it looks like it's not really necessary due to tuition rates skyrocketing and admissions plummeting. 

That darn next generation, they can't wait to put me out to pasture, which would be fine if I got the retirement plan of Secretariat, but I won't. 

Sitting in a CLE. Already hate the day.  Sat in back to be left alone.  The only guy bigger than me here decided to sit next to me.  FML

I'm going to Pacino this thing....

Sitting in a CLE. Already hate the day.  Sat in back to be left alone.  The only guy bigger than me here decided to sit next to me.  FML

I'm going to Pacino this thing....
NWIH do I show up in-person for CLE with all of the online courses. Perfect brief writing time.

Sigh.  We're required to do 8.5 in person per year. 
We have to 12.

I got up. Can't sit next to someone and not want to be stabbing them.

Oh good, the next speakers resume... always love those.  Look dimwit, I don't care about you just leave me alone and give me my certificate.

Well, they let people from non accredited schools like The People's College Of Law take it too.  It was funny when Kathleen Sullivan failed it when she was dean at Stanford Law. 
Only about 40% of first time ABA school test takers passed it this last time. I have as much self interest in keeping new attorneys out of the market as anyone, but that's a little silly. 

Only about 40% of first time ABA school test takers passed it this last time. I have as much self interest in keeping new attorneys out of the market as anyone, but that's a little silly. 
I knew you've had the lowest passage rates for a while now.  Have law school applications gone back up to pre 2008 levels or something? 

We have to 12.

I got up. Can't sit next to someone and not want to be stabbing them.

Oh good, the next speakers resume... always love those.  Look dimwit, I don't care about you just leave me alone and give me my certificate.
We're 12.5 total but can do 4 online. 

I hate NJ.  We need to do 24, 12 in person.

Awesome, the joke that isn't funny but everyone laughs because, they are afraid this is really a Scientology recruiting meeting.
We had one guy who did the best ethics and professionalism CLE I've ever seen and changed it up every year. Always used a famous movie as the backdrop for an overarching theme.  His best was "Godfather Professionalism" which was based on "leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Committed suicide a few years ago and was replaced by someone who I can only assume is trying to get us all to follow him. 

I love the presenter whose turn it isn't yet who interrupts all the time but doesn't have a Mic, so no one hears the question or statement but the speaker with the Mic answers with an inside joke.....

There is a knife 5 feet from where I am.

I knew you've had the lowest passage rates for a while now.  Have law school applications gone back up to pre 2008 levels or something? 
I haven't looked at the numbers recently. My recolllection is that they have bounced back a bit after the recession but they are certainly down relative to the boom years. 

I love the presenter whose turn it isn't yet who interrupts all the time but doesn't have a Mic, so no one hears the question or statement but the speaker with the Mic answers with an inside joke.....

There is a knife 5 feet from where I am.
Not up on my ethics, but pretty sure stabbing a CLE presenter is frowned upon.

My firm does an all day CLE marathon.  Where most presentations are basically  powerpoint slides about some attorney's practice.  So I get to hear about due diligence in electrical co-generation agreements or something when I'm a litigator. 

Yeah, this has come up before a couple of times.  The felony DUI statute (Cal. Veh. Code § 23153, if anyone wants to get all researchy) says:

"It is unlawful for a person, while under the influence of any alcoholic beverage, to drive a vehicle and concurrently do any act forbidden by law, or neglect any duty imposed by law in driving the vehicle, which act or neglect proximately causes bodily injury to any person other than the driver"

There's a line of cases that says that a hit and run charge won't qualify to enhance a misdemeanor DUI into a felony under 23153, because a hit and run does not usually "proximately cause bodily injury" to anyone.  In other words, in your "garden variety" hit and run, the act of fleeing, which breaks the law, doesn't cause injury.  There could be an exception where the failure to stop and render aid worsens the victim's injuries and therefore does indeed cause injury, or the fleeing driver collides with someone else and thereby causes injury, but that isn't the usual fact pattern and doesn't seem to apply here.  Hence, no felony DUI.  I don't like this technicality and I know that several prosecutors would like it changed, but I think the Kern DA is applying the law correctly.    

Note that there is no similar language in the hit and run statute, which is why (I assume) this gentleperson was charged with felony hit and run.  That was enhanced by the DUI. 
Wow, thanks.  So what, hypothetically, would one have to do while driving drunk to bump it to a felony? Excessive speed? Record an MLB game without express written consent?

My firm does an all day CLE marathon.  Where most presentations are basically  powerpoint slides about some attorney's practice.  So I get to hear about due diligence in electrical co-generation agreements or something when I'm a litigator. 
This just shows how silly it is. Illinois implemented CLE about 10 years ago and I haven't seen any improvement in the ability of the lawyers I run into every day.

But I try to do classes that are relevant to my practice so even if I don't really pay attention I get some new case cites that I can use when I see the issue again.

Wow, thanks.  So what, hypothetically, would one have to do while driving drunk to bump it to a felony? Excessive speed? Record an MLB game without express written consent?
:confused:

The bolded part says it has to cause bodily injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s the interesting thing; I plea bargained one out involving similar facts (no hit and run) and defended another (I do maybe 2-3 criminal cases a year) a while back, and in each, excessive speed or even weaving brought the enhancement or the threat from the DA, so you're not far off.  The key is temporal; since hit and run always occurs after the injury except in highly unusual fact patterns, it can't work as the enhancement factor, but just about anything unlawful done at the same time that thus proximately contributes to the injury can.  Sure the baseball game recording, or mattress tag removal, or meeting with Russians would do it.  

That’s the interesting thing; I plea bargained one out involving similar facts (no hit and run) and defended another (I do maybe 2-3 criminal cases a year) a while back, and in each, excessive speed or even weaving brought the enhancement or the threat from the DA, so you're not far off.  The key is temporal; since hit and run always occurs after the injury except in highly unusual fact patterns, it can't work as the enhancement factor, but just about anything unlawful done at the same time that thus proximately contributes to the injury can.  Sure the baseball game recording, or mattress tag removal, or meeting with Russians would do it.  
:lmao:  thanks for the explanation. It seems pretty odd to this layman for sure.

:lmao:  thanks for the explanation. It seems pretty odd to this layman for sure.
Move over!  It makes very little sense to me either and it's not like prosecutors have trouble garnering attention in Sacramento, so I'm puzzled this is still a thing.  The best news is that even though I'm sure the Kern DA or DDA that was quoted wanted to enhance for Farmer Only, she got the law right and didn't.  That's comforting.  

I haven't looked at the numbers recently. My recolllection is that they have bounced back a bit after the recession but they are certainly down relative to the boom years. 
CA was at 34.5% last administration, or at least that's the number I've been told by classmates. I tend to just keep my head down, prepare, and assume things will take care of themselves.

Re: Sullivan - Stanford's pass rate is only 90% in California. She certainly hasn't been the only one, just the most famous.

I think it probably seems more like the rate is too low so that there are less lawyers (which would be a good thing, IMO), which seems like an anti-competition issue to me. 

Anyone in here a real estate attorney?  I'm seeking advice.

My parents own a not so mobile, mobile home in a 55+ over community in Florida that we are selling.  My parents and I are in Ohio.  Father is an 86 yr old dementia patient.  I have his general power of attorney.  Mom and dad are both listed on title.  It appears as though we have a buyer (I expect offer tomorrow).  Buyer has cash in hand, so no financing needed.  I guess the home is actually considered a vehicle (has a vehicle title, but there is no VIN # like you would expect for a typical vehicle) and the sale price includes land share in the community.

I guess I am trying to figure out how to make this happen from 1000 miles away.   Can I pull this off without a trip to Florida?  Can we close this deal ourselves from a distance.  I assume we will need a local Florida real estate attorney or title agency to close this deal or can we do it ourselves?  Can my mother sign everything without dad/me?  Any advice or tips you can provide for this situation?  

My parents own a not so mobile, mobile home in a 55+ over community in Florida that we are selling.  My parents and I are in Ohio.  Father is an 86 yr old dementia patient.  I have his general power of attorney.  Mom and dad are both listed on title.  It appears as though we have a buyer (I expect offer tomorrow).  Buyer has cash in hand, so no financing needed.  I guess the home is actually considered a vehicle (has a vehicle title, but there is no VIN # like you would expect for a typical vehicle) and the sale price includes land share in the community.

I guess I am trying to figure out how to make this happen from 1000 miles away.   Can I pull this off without a trip to Florida?  Can we close this deal ourselves from a distance.  I assume we will need a local Florida real estate attorney or title agency to close this deal or can we do it ourselves?  Can my mother sign everything without dad/me?  Any advice or tips you can provide for this situation?  
I do real estate transactions from a distance all the time.  It's not hard.  I don't know the rules in Florida though.  It's probably in your best interest to have a lawyer there do everything for you. I do know one thing though - Florida is massively particular about how a power of attorney is used for real estate transactions of any kind.  If mobile home fit into that definition down there, then you really need to get a Florida attorney to help you to be safe.  If the wording is not exactly the way they like it down there they might not agree to record the new title to the "car."

Just got an arbitration decision giving us total victory in a defense against a $100 million contract claim.  We even won our attorney's fees on a counterclaim for violation of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing. 

"Today was a good day ..."
Hope you get a nice victory dinner. I recommend getting the $200 steak, take a few bites then push it away -- "Take this away and please send the sommelier over with the scotch list."

Hope you get a nice victory dinner. I recommend getting the $200 steak, take a few bites then push it away -- "Take this away and please send the sommelier over with the scotch list."
I'm doing a super restrictive diet.  :cry:

I must say, having now had a chance to read the opinion in full, this benchslap is its own reward.  I pride myself on getting along with opposing counsel, but these guys were some pieces of work.  And every time we'd point out fundamental deficiencies in their case, they'd throw a tantrum.  The Panel, not being the type to look gift fees in the mouth, bent over backwards to let them take it to trial.  But the opinion is scathing. 

Business development is such a roller coaster. You get a big chance to take on a case for a new client. You get some associates to spend their weekend putting together a proposal, and you spend a bunch of time and energy too. You give a one hour presentation over a Skype call. And then cricket. Had a bad feeling about it at the end, but maybe just being a pessimist. But when a day or two passes and I send two emails unanswered?  Oof. 

Anyway you cant land em all, and you have to take ten at bats to get three or four hits. But it's still really annoying when you get invested in and excited about one and in the end it just feels like a bunch of hours wasted from your already way too busy schedule.  

I miss being an associate. 

A lot of that is on the buyer to figure out.  They should be retaining someone to do closing, who would tell you what is needed to effectively convey title.

Business development is such a roller coaster. You get a big chance to take on a case for a new client. You get some associates to spend their weekend putting together a proposal, and you spend a bunch of time and energy too. You give a one hour presentation over a Skype call. And then cricket. Had a bad feeling about it at the end, but maybe just being a pessimist. But when a day or two passes and I send two emails unanswered?  Oof. 

Anyway you cant land em all, and you have to take ten at bats to get three or four hits. But it's still really annoying when you get invested in and excited about one and in the end it just feels like a bunch of hours wasted from your already way too busy schedule.  

I miss being an associate. 
This is basically any business. You should be happy it was a skype pitch and you didn't have to fly anywhere for it, to then receive no response. 

Users who are viewing this thread