What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (10 Viewers)

OK, thanks. I tried 5 giants at once on a raid and they got mowed down before they could even take out two cannons. At their price, I can throw 10-15 barbarians at a cannon and get better results for much less.

I know some are advocating for the 3 war clan. Why don't we start w/ the 2 and 1 war clans and if that doesn't work after a couple of weeks reconsider?

OK, thanks. I tried 5 giants at once on a raid and they got mowed down before they could even take out two cannons. At their price, I can throw 10-15 barbarians at a cannon and get better results for much less.
Are you facing mortars yet? That's when you might opt for the giants over mass barbs.

I know some are advocating for the 3 war clan. Why don't we start w/ the 2 and 1 war clans and if that doesn't work after a couple of weeks reconsider?[/quote

This. Go ahead and put FBG 1 on a two war schedule starting this Sunday and see how that works out for a couple weeks.

I feel I had pretty good success with giants early on, but gobs are really where you make your money.

Are you facing mortars yet? That's when you might opt for the giants over mass barbs.
I have faced several of them, but not with a giant yet. May give it a try.

I have also built a research lab, but don't even have the capacity for enough elixir to do any upgrades. Which of the gobs, barbs or archers are best to upgrade 1st?

One thing I REALLY want is a third builder. I've got one locked up for the day on my TH4 and the other is upgrading an elixir tank. I'd love to be working on the second elixir tank, or busting some rocks with extra gold, or something so I could get more gems quicker. I feel like I'm twiddling my thumbs sometimes waiting on a builder to get done (or my warriors to get trained). They've definitely made it so there is a lot of incentive to buy gems.

I have also built a research lab, but don't even have the capacity for enough elixir to do any upgrades. Which of the gobs, barbs or archers are best to upgrade 1st?

One thing I REALLY want is a third builder. I've got one locked up for the day on my TH4 and the other is upgrading an elixir tank. I'd love to be working on the second elixir tank, or busting some rocks with extra gold, or something so I could get more gems quicker. I feel like I'm twiddling my thumbs sometimes waiting on a builder to get done (or my warriors to get trained). They've definitely made it so there is a lot of incentive to buy gems.
Archers

Gobs are the most valuable first upgrade troop. Later, when you open up labs at th7/8 level the archer becomes the most valuable.

And to the rest of it. Shoot the lock off your wallet, buy 15 bucks worth of gems and you can get 5 builders in relatively short order.

I'm in for whatever. I hop clans but i have a local clan I help that goes to war Friday mornings (which is why I haven't been in the Boog the last few weeks) so right after the war ends on Sunday I hop to fbg1 for the war Sunday night. As long as I can get in a 2nd war along the way someplace I'd be happy but I understand getting shutout because the clan's are full. Not gonna kick either way, fbg's have treated me well in the CoC realm.

Gobs are the most valuable first upgrade troop. Later, when you open up labs at th7/8 level the archer becomes the most valuable.

And to the rest of it. Shoot the lock off your wallet, buy 15 bucks worth of gems and you can get 5 builders in relatively short order.
Never! I'll ruin the rest of my life if I have to play 24/7 to get what I want, but I will NEVER pay a dime for this game.

I'm kidding, of course...but I'd like to try and get the 3rd builder the old fashioned way. After that, I'll probably shell out a bit from time to time.

:goodposting: give in... you know you want to...

Never! I'll ruin the rest of my life if I have to play 24/7 to get what I want, but I will NEVER pay a dime for this game.

I'm kidding, of course...but I'd like to try and get the 3rd builder the old fashioned way. After that, I'll probably shell out a bit from time to time.
Well it's way more effective to pay early on than later. You will get some gems through just playing, but they won't really payoff for awhile and builder need is highest in the th5/6 range because those open up the most buildings and they are still pretty cheap.

I think most of us get the 3rd builder the old fashioned way, and many of us (myself included) got the 4th builder without paying as well. With the clan war achievements and gem boxes, gaining gems is much easier than it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right, you guys talked me into it. Just bought 500 gems for $4.99. Added a third builder and put him to work.

Onward and upward.

They worked hard to develop the game and there's no ads in it. It's OK to give them a little money.
This was part of my rationalization as well. Also that it would help me return to my adult duties faster if I just got a third builder and moved things along. That may backfire on me, though. :unsure:

igbomb said:
The following folks did not participate in this last war. These are the candidates to be bumped if/when we fill up before next war.

aeneas - seems absent from game for some time

colly wobblys

Odin33

someguy - also absent for some time

Jason

Xv Prime vX

If something just got in the way and you couldn't participate then let us know. But if we don't hear anything you may get bumped. And if you are done with the game or not interested in war, then go ahead and check out on your own.
What time does fbg2 war end? I want to wait until then to boot inactives and low levels so they have somewhere to go. May need a little coordination to shuttle between the clans.

igbomb said:
The following folks did not participate in this last war. These are the candidates to be bumped if/when we fill up before next war.

colly wobblys

Odin33

Jason

Xv Prime vX

If something just got in the way and you couldn't participate then let us know. But if we don't hear anything you may get bumped. And if you are done with the game or not interested in war, then go ahead and check out on your own.
What time does fbg2 war end? I want to wait until then to boot inactives and low levels so they have somewhere to go. May need a little coordination to shuttle between the clans.
Normally lateish Saturday

Upgrade gob, barb, then archer in that order. Low level archers are not that great, but once they hit level 3 they are far more useful. Gobs should be your main focus IMHO. You don't need to destroy bases, just look for easy resources that a swarm of gobs can deplete. The builders definitely would make the game a lot faster, but it is doable without paying. I haven't spent a dime and I'm on my way to a 5th builder.

If it helps, I've been lurking and posting in the thread but haven't joined one of the FBG clans yet because I've got one with a few college buddies and friends.

We war constantly, and we're 20-1-1 in wars (yeah we had a moronic tie). Not quite FBG level, but there's usually an opportunity to honeypot with 2nd attack, which is nice.

Clan name is nightshade (really common) but our description starts with "shade of the night" hahahahaha. Fell free to hop in between the FBG clan war times.

Upgrade gob, barb, then archer in that order. Low level archers are not that great, but once they hit level 3 they are far more useful. Gobs should be your main focus IMHO. You don't need to destroy bases, just look for easy resources that a swarm of gobs can deplete. The builders definitely would make the game a lot faster, but it is doable without paying. I haven't spent a dime and I'm on my way to a 5th builder.
I haven't spent a dime either. Once I past 1250 trophies, I had enough gems to either "buy" enough DE to get my BK, or get a 4th builder. I chose the BK. I like using him as that last ditch effort for 50% when raiding, and also using him to trophy drop below 200. But I sure could use that 4th builder. I'm at about 800 gems currently, so farming trunks/shrooms/trees is the name of the game right now. Hopefully getting gems from them, and then those magical gem boxes.

igbomb said:

colly wobblys

Odin33

Jason

Xv Prime vX

Normally lateish Saturday
Isn't it early-ish Saturday? Aidan normally does the match search early Thursday.

I'm somewhere in between here. One war a week is often too little (which is why I hop around) but at three wars a week, I'm a little concerned about how it'll affect my saving up for upgrades a relatively new TH8 since I plan to be able to donate good stuff soon (about to activate LVL3 dragon research).

Having three clan seems like a bit much, it would spread us very thing and require a ton of moving around for some people.

I think my personal ideal situation would be two clans - one that wars twice a week and gives preference to TH7+, then another clan that wars once a week. If the second clan needs a few people to get to 50, we schedule the wars so that people from the first can shuffle in.

No one is going to be 100% happy of course. If there's a choice between 1 time vs. 3 time I'll probably stick with 1 time until I get closer to TH9-ish area.

Haven't been able to keep up today, just catching up now. I'll throw a poll up about warring, assuming the edit lets you do that.

So...

I love having 4 builders but at town hall level 8, I can never seem to save enough to have them all working anyway.

Firstly getting my dark elixir to 10k seems impossible. There were guys with the Warrior King at th7 but I've had an elixir drill for weeks now and I've still a few thousand to go. What am I missing here?

Raiding for resources... Have we decided that sub 200 barch / gob is definitively the most effective? Where's the tutorial on getting down to 200?

Haven't been able to keep up today, just catching up now. I'll throw a poll up about warring, assuming the edit lets you do that.
I don't know if you can add the poll or not but I am good with 2 wars in FBG clan, it would result in less hopping back and forth between the clans.

So...

I love having 4 builders but at town hall level 8, I can never seem to save enough to have them all working anyway.

Firstly getting my dark elixir to 10k seems impossible. There were guys with the Warrior King at th7 but I've had an elixir drill for weeks now and I've still a few thousand to go. What am I missing here?

Raiding for resources... Have we decided that sub 200 barch / gob is definitively the most effective? Where's the tutorial on getting down to 200?
I raid 1100-1300 range, I have the opposite problem - too much loot sitting around waiting for builders to free up. What's your current raiding strategy?

We've covered the fact that unless you time the matchmaking like a space shuttle launch going back and forth between a 2x/1x clan isn't going to work. You have to have either a :

3x and 2x

OR

3x and 1x

For people that want to go 3x a week you MUST do it all in one self contained clan. There simply isn't enough time to make the transfers.

You might also need a minor league clan for overflow.
Using Clayton's proposed schedule:FBG1 - declares late Saturday night / war ends late Monday night

FBG1 - declares early Tuesday morning / war ends early Thursday morning

FBG2 - declares just after noon Thursday / war ends just after noon Saturday

Times can be shifted for easier hopping.
You miss the hop on Thursday though (at most a 4 hr window) and you can't do a 3x/week war. We covered this in the old thread. Hopping clans isn't the way to get 3/week. Math and RL doesn't work.
Once you have used your two attacks, you can leave the clan and join the other one if there is some fear of missing before they declare war. You just can't check back in and see the progress of the current war. You still get your loot and credit for the war.

So...

Getting sub 200 is a pain but relatively easy. Fire up a ton of Barbs, hit a base and drop on barb and surrender. Rinse and repeat.

I have to second the idea of having one clan that wars twice a week that gives preference to TH7+ and another that wars once a week that is for lower levels. The schedule should be scattered so that someone could participate in all three if they wanted.

And yes I'm seconding my own idea. :lol: Just been thinking more about it and I like it.

So...

I raid 1100-1300 range, I have the opposite problem - too much loot sitting around waiting for builders to free up. What's your current raiding strategy?
Well far too often it's like 9 dragons and 20 barch but I never lose and I'm Raiding up at the 1500+ trophy level.

I've tried other options but at 1500+ plus I can't nail a strategy down that works... 34 Giants with WB Gobs and Healing Spell is my other go to but is less successful.

Havent really found anything that works at +1500 without going all dragons

AcerFC said:
Greg Russell said:
On losing your DE to raids, around 25k DE was the point that I was losing DE faster than I could make it. That was including a boosted level 3 DE drill which is making 2160 DE a day, plus raiding. I had days I lost over 5k DE just to lightning strikes.

Best way I found to avoid that was go hide in the 400-500 trophy range. That's how I made it to 40k DE for the level 4 hogrider upgrade. You can either hide there and gather from your drill, or can go sub200 and raid and then just kill 8-10 newbie bases with a few barbs and BK to climb back to 400 before you quit. You may give up a little to revenges if you do go raid, but not nearly as much as you lose at higher trophies. The farmers you are targeting down at that level are there because they don't want to raid, for the most part.
How do they stay down there though

I remember thinking that when I was sub 200. Why dont those guys get trophy dropped on and get to 5-600
The vast majority of the people who trophy drop are the farmers. The farmers don't let their trophy count get high enough to be paired with a 450 trophy person very much.

What you see are the TH4 type people attacking your collectors or giving you a shield or just too much of a newb to realize their 40 barbarians aren't enough to even dent your walls.

You'll stay in that 400-500 range for a couple of days before attacks will push you out. Very easy to just drop a few times on the newbies to stay there.

Maybe I'm alone here but I would like to stay in one clan that goes 3x a week. If I have schedule conflicts I'd like to back out to another, but that's not an absolute requirement.

Constant warring might lose it's appeal once I hit 150 stars. I'm only at 55 so it's gonna be awhile before that happens.
I swear we should just send culdeus a check for $2.00 and let him buy the gems that achievement is going to bring him.

So...

Well far too often it's like 9 dragons and 20 barch but I never lose and I'm Raiding up at the 1500+ trophy level.

I've tried other options but at 1500+ plus I can't nail a strategy down that works... 34 Giants with WB Gobs and Healing Spell is my other go to but is less successful.

Havent really found anything that works at +1500 without going all dragons
In that range with that lineup you should be looting DE like crazy. Like, you shouldn't even attack a base with less than 800 DE.

I'm somewhere in between here. One war a week is often too little (which is why I hop around) but at three wars a week, I'm a little concerned about how it'll affect my saving up for upgrades a relatively new TH8 since I plan to be able to donate good stuff soon (about to activate LVL3 dragon research).

Having three clan seems like a bit much, it would spread us very thing and require a ton of moving around for some people.

I think my personal ideal situation would be two clans - one that wars twice a week and gives preference to TH7+, then another clan that wars once a week. If the second clan needs a few people to get to 50, we schedule the wars so that people from the first can shuffle in.

No one is going to be 100% happy of course. If there's a choice between 1 time vs. 3 time I'll probably stick with 1 time until I get closer to TH9-ish area.
Speaking on my own experience, multiple wars helps me get upgrades way faster (new TH8) because of the loot bonus. I'm pulling in 700+ DE and 500k+ from g/e that makes a huge difference for me. And it never costs me that much elixir or DE for a Dragon/Minion attack.

Speaking on my own experience, multiple wars helps me get upgrades way faster (new TH8) because of the loot bonus. I'm pulling in 700+ DE and 500k+ from g/e that makes a huge difference for me. And it never costs me that much elixir or DE for a Dragon/Minion attack.
I also come out ahead somewhat, but that's because I don't have anything good enough to donate. I'm about to get level 3 dragons, so that will change. If I can donate something worthy, I would feel like a #### not doing so since the other top guys are so good with donating.

I usually go with like an 8 dragon attack, so that's around 250k right there. Plus the lightning spells to take out the AA guns. I mix in some of my own hogs to take some DE. So even if I get 300/300/500 from an attack, most of that is not profit. Pretty positive I get a better ROI on my time doing normal raids. If you're using a substantial number of dragon attacks I don't see how it can be a huge windfall for you (other than gold, of course). And again, once you have something to donate, assuming you donate, it will become more costly.

Again, I come out ahead, especially in gold, but I don't view raiding as a difference-maker for me.

Ok, hopefully the poll covers enough to be useful.

I hope no one feels any pressure over the votes being public. I just set that so we can get an idea of whether our high levels would all migrate to the 3-war a week clan and leave the others lower level, or whatever.

I suppose an option not listed for the 3rd clan that only wars in the gap would be if there aren't enough slots for people in one of the regular clan wars, the 3rd clan could go to war at the same time with just those who didn't fit.

Myself, I voted 2 wars a week, though for me some weeks I'll want to do 3 and others (like this week) I am fine with just 1.

I can't make up my mind, frankly, on the last option. I hate to dilute the normal troop donations too much, so voted for 2 clans. But even if we do that, I could see that changing very soon if we keep getting more people joining up, a 3rd clan would be needed anyway.

igbomb said:

colly wobblys

Odin33

Jason

Xv Prime vX

I'm Xv Prime vX and I'm online daily(hourly) but I don't participate in clan wars because I'm usually far inferior to opponent bases. I'm only level 21.

If you need to boot me for someone more efficient, that's fine.

Yo guys, shouldn't put a warning text first?

Something like:

This game WILL ruin your life!

or

You thought Fantasy was bad, CoC will F your life up.

I mean seriously, I can't even chill anymore, always gotta check it. Even though I know I've got another day+ before next upgrade, like "you never know" perhaps the builders were fed blow and finished things up in a couple of seconds!

Yo guys, shouldn't put a warning text first?

Something like:

This game WILL ruin your life!

or

You thought Fantasy was bad, CoC will F your life up.

I mean seriously, I can't even chill anymore, always gotta check it. Even though I know I've got another day+ before next upgrade, like "you never know" perhaps the builders were fed blow and finished things up in a couple of seconds!
Crack of Clans

In for 2 wars most weeks. (Smliteguy) It all depends on what I'm in the middle of upgrading. Didn't jump to the boogaloo when I was pushing for hog 5 because of the DE drain. If I'm in a war, I want to win it, so going "no de troops" is not an option.

Some weeks I may want one, might jump into 3 other weeks, so I split the difference. I just don't want the clans diluted when we are not in war. In FBGS, there are 6 people with over 1,000 in donated troops in the past 1.5 weeks, plenty more over 500 donations. Plus guys who jumped to boog and came back, resetting their donation numbers. That's what makes us all able to push upgrades so quick. I don't want to see that end.

I also come out ahead somewhat, but that's because I don't have anything good enough to donate. I'm about to get level 3 dragons, so that will change. If I can donate something worthy, I would feel like a #### not doing so since the other top guys are so good with donating.

I usually go with like an 8 dragon attack, so that's around 250k right there. Plus the lightning spells to take out the AA guns. I mix in some of my own hogs to take some DE. So even if I get 300/300/500 from an attack, most of that is not profit. Pretty positive I get a better ROI on my time doing normal raids. If you're using a substantial number of dragon attacks I don't see how it can be a huge windfall for you (other than gold, of course). And again, once you have something to donate, assuming you donate, it will become more costly.

Again, I come out ahead, especially in gold, but I don't view raiding as a difference-maker for me.
I can see that. I think the difference is that we don't try to win by 80 stars. Whether you win by 1 star or 30 stars, your record and your loot are the same. So we tend to believe a war is "in hand" much sooner and just barch a honeypot with the majority of our 2nd attacks. Then you get a much heavier profit.

I suppose part of it could just be the difference when you war 20 v 20 rather than 50 v 50.

In for 2 wars most weeks. (Smliteguy) It all depends on what I'm in the middle of upgrading. Didn't jump to the boogaloo when I was pushing for hog 5 because of the DE drain. If I'm in a war, I want to win it, so going "no de troops" is not an option.

Some weeks I may want one, might jump into 3 other weeks, so I split the difference. I just don't want the clans diluted when we are not in war. In FBGS, there are 6 people with over 1,000 in donated troops in the past 1.5 weeks, plenty more over 500 donations. Plus guys who jumped to boog and came back, resetting their donation numbers. That's what makes us all able to push upgrades so quick. I don't want to see that end.
Basically all this.

I'd like to see how a 2 clan 2 war/1 war setup works. I'd spend my time in the 2 war clan. That's where my votes went.

Users who are viewing this thread