What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (7 Viewers)

This isn't correct.  The 2nd Brown TD came right after a turnover.  The drive started on the 5 yard line.  Gurley was not tired.

Gurley was also pulled inside the 10 on another drive in favor of Henderson, who stayed in for both plays inside the 10.
My bad you are correct.  The gassed TD was the Henderson GL carries that ultimately became the Higbee TD.  Thank you.  

I watched the entire game.  Any Gourley owner that says he isn’t concerned about what they saw, especially after spending a high draft pick on Gourley, should go work at the White House.

When he got the ball, he looked amazing.  He doesn't look like he lost anything.  I don't know what to make of the goal line stuff just yet.  You can't exactly panic and sell him

As a Gurley owner, I am not happy at all. There were chances to get him in at the goal line and they chose not to. 

In 14 games last year, Gurley had 825 snaps.  It's a HUGE workload.  Obviously it caused issues for him.  So LAR is focused on load management...I'm sure its easy to get tempted to have Gurley out there 85-95% of the time.  I have to think McVay recognizes that it's on him to exercise discipline in his usage pattern.

Gurley will be productive - and I'd say that most assuredly because he's still one of the best RB's in the game.  But where you once had a combo volume/playmaker asset in him, he'll simply need to be more efficient going forward to yield RB1 value which is more than possible.  But his touches will max out 15-18 per game range versus 22-24.

When asked how he felt about splitting carries with Malcolm Brown in Sunday's Week 1 victory over the Panthers, Todd Gurley said, "Felt good."

Gurley led the Rams with 103 yards from scrimmage in Sunday's season-opening win at Carolina but didn't seem particularly pleased about his usage, logging just 15 touches to Malcolm Brown's 11. While it may be jarring to see Gurley—a three-time All-Pro selection and one of the league's highest earners at his position—reduced to a committee role, Sunday's split was consistent with how the Rams employed him during last year's postseason. Maybe that's for the best given Gurley's chronic knee issues, which led to him taking a backseat to C.J. Anderson down the stretch last year. Even if it wasn't the workload he anticipated, Gurley was extremely efficient against the Panthers, cruising to a healthy 6.9 yards per carry in the winning effort. Assuming the Rams continue to use him in tandem with Brown, Touchdown Todd is probably best viewed as an RB2 going forward.

SOURCE: Los Angeles Times

Sep 9, 2019, 9:12 AM ET

The fall of the Shark Pool has been a fast and furious one. Lord.
Apologies that I find the false confidence of Gurley owners comical following a (non-blowout) game where he got 14 carries, 1 target, and was sniped of most red zone work. But yeah, not worried at all.  :thumbup:

Yeah I'm a Gurley owner, not really sure how I can convince myself to take this as a positive.  He was basically trading drives with Malcolm Brown and ceding goaline work.  Not ideal.
Can’t find snap counts yet or drives total for each, but there were 13 total drives by the Rams.  My guess watching it Gurley got 8 or 9 of those and 2/3 the total snaps.  If these bear out to be true, after all the offseason hype I will take 2/3’s the workload very happily.   He finishes as a top ten back with this work load.  
So my observations were pretty much right on. Gurley played 54 snaps compared to Brown’s 21.  Gurley got 70%. Most importantly from the middle of the 3rd Brown didn’t get another carry (DH got 2 on the GL).  They trusted Gurley when it mattered most.  I truly believe the GL carries were flukey and Gurley will get his and likely be amongst the leaders in TD’s for RB’s like always.  

Its clear his workload is/will be reduced from the 90% snap count of years past but if he gets 70% as he did in game 1 we’re all good.   

So my observations were pretty much right on. Gurley played 54 snaps compared to Brown’s 21.  Gurley got 70%. Most importantly from the middle of the 3rd Brown didn’t get another carry (DH got 2 on the GL).  They trusted Gurley when it mattered most.  I truly believe the GL carries were flukey and Gurley will get his and likely be amongst the leaders in TD’s for RB’s like always.  

Its clear his workload is/will be reduced from the 90% snap count of years past but if he gets 70% as he did in game 1 we’re all good.   
That seems like a fair and rational take.  Thanks for posting the snap count.  That makes sense.

If I was a Gurley owner, sure, I'd be worried. I might not panic, but there's already enough evidence to say his ceiling is clearly hindered.

We now know for sure there's an issue. In one aspect, it's a relief that Gurley had 15 touches with a good YPC, but this was the healthiest he'll ever be & they needed him in a tough matchup.

The GL carries for Brown could be a fluke, but we don't know that yet. If I was a Gurley owner, I'd be uneasy at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice that he got snap count, but if this is not a concern, then I want some of whatever you are smoking...

"Of the 12 official red-zone plays in four trips for the Rams on Sunday, Gurley got an official touch on zero of them.

The lone Gurley red-zone touch was negated by a holding penalty, but that even ended poorly with Gurley fumbling after a five-yard rush (a teammate recovered the ball)."

Nice that they "trusted him when it mattered most", which is arguable, but when it matters most to us is inside the 10.  I am heavily invested in Gurley - just not wearing the same rose colored glasses that some people seem to have been lucky enough to acquire.  I wish I could find one of those guys in my leagues so that I could try to get something substantial back for him, but those glasses apparently were not handed out in any of my leagues.

He salvaged a disastrous day with a couple nice runs late.  They count (thank goodness), but lets call this like it is...a huge disappointment for any realistic Gurley owner.

I got on the Gurley train.  I'm looking out the window, but in no way ready to jump off.  This is roughly what I was expecting, but with some additional goal line looks.  If he's pulled from the red zone deliberately in week 2, we could be crashing.

-jb- said:
I got on the Gurley train.  I'm looking out the window, but in no way ready to jump off.  This is roughly what I was expecting, but with some additional goal line looks.  If he's pulled from the red zone deliberately in week 2, we could be crashing.
Seems like the only question is the arthritic knee / losing a step / decreased share (80% < 60%) vs shaking off the rust and he'll be fine. Nice to have M Brown be very capable. I think it would be time to offer a owner a lil nugget for Gurley in hopes he gets back in the swing and takes over 70%? I may offer Kerryon Johnson for him? It's close, but didn't like what I saw out of Johnson to open. I like that TE in Detroit. Gurley has got to be at least a high end RB #2, right? Or slip to Flex material at worst?

Hopefully no news about the knees is good news following the game.

But Gurley seemed a bit abrupt with his comments. Not sure what to make of that? Sick of being asked maybe or waiting to see how they feel?

Hopefully no news about the knees is good news following the game.

But Gurley seemed a bit abrupt with his comments. Not sure what to make of that? Sick of being asked maybe or waiting to see how they feel?
He has been WAY over the knee talk for quite some time.  

Seems like the only question is the arthritic knee / losing a step / decreased share (80% < 60%) vs shaking off the rust and he'll be fine. Nice to have M Brown be very capable. I think it would be time to offer a owner a lil nugget for Gurley in hopes he gets back in the swing and takes over 70%? I may offer Kerryon Johnson for him? It's close, but didn't like what I saw out of Johnson to open. I like that TE in Detroit. Gurley has got to be at least a high end RB #2, right? Or slip to Flex material at worst?
I'm holding him.  At this point, I would only look at a WR/RB trade offer to improve at WR...but obviously everyone's roster looks different.

A 120 yard 2 TD performance thrown in with 4 receptions for 40 yards will quiet this place down soon enough. Gurely looked fine to me. The amount of week one panic in the Shark Pool is an annual rite of passage. 
Week 1 overreaction and week 1 underreaction are both major banes on fantasy owners.

The top 50, even top 10 has so much turnover from year to year.  People that wait until the season is well under way before adjusting have already missed the boat.

We have to look at each individual situation, try and read between the lines and figure out whether panic selling Gurley at 2nd/3rd round startup value will be like getting out from a young Christian McCaffrey for another top 25 player, or getting out from a young Jay Ajayi for another top 25 player.

Week 1 overreaction and week 1 underreaction are both major banes on fantasy owners.

The top 50, even top 10 has so much turnover from year to year.  People that wait until the season is well under way before adjusting have already missed the boat.

We have to look at each individual situation, try and read between the lines and figure out whether panic selling Gurley at 2nd/3rd round startup value will be like getting out from a young Christian McCaffrey for another top 25 player, or getting out from a young Jay Ajayi for another top 25 player.
Very true. But when I watched him play in the second half and also look at the situation.....after week 1. I am not going to react to that. The fact was he looked very fresh, and ran with authority. He is not a RB1 bell cow per se. But a strong RB2 with RB1 like numbers some weeks. 

If you are depending on him to be a Kamara, McCaffery or Barkley...then yes concern is very much warranted. So it all depends on where he is in your lineup. For me he is firmly a RB2 in my lineup. Hence my lack of concern. And I feel like there will be plenty of weeks he will be a top 3 back. I see upside...not downside with Gurley this year in redraft.

Dynasty is another story. 

Benching him in a PPR league for Barkley, Chubb, Ekeler, and Kittle. Not off the bandwagon, per se, just have a lot of strong options.

I will say that there was a time when the idea of starting Ekeler or Kittle ahead of Gurley would have been viewed as :crazy:  .

Benching him in a PPR league for Barkley, Chubb, Ekeler, and Kittle. Not off the bandwagon, per se, just have a lot of strong options.

I will say that there was a time when the idea of starting Ekeler or Kittle ahead of Gurley would have been viewed as :crazy:  .
1) How did you achieve that roster?

2) Kittle over Gurley is a call I wouldn't make.

1) How did you achieve that roster?

2) Kittle over Gurley is a call I wouldn't make.
Dynasty team built over time. Also have QBs Watson and Wilson and TE Kelce, but WRs are weak. Team has been a top 3 contender every season for several years, but no titles. :sadbanana:

Agree Kittle vs. Gurley is a tough call, but Kittle just missed 2 TDs last week. FWIW, all 3 FBG projectors (Dodds, Bloom, Tremblay) have Kittle over Gurley.

Josina Anderson field reporting from the Rams game today said that McVay told her the plan this year is for Gurley to get 65% of the work (Brown getting the other 35) and whomever is on the field to start the drive will get the GL carries for that drive.  

This lines up with exactly what we saw in week 1.  If this ends up being true all year Gurley will have a strong year (RB10-15).  

Josina Anderson field reporting from the Rams game today said that McVay told her the plan this year is for Gurley to get 65% of the work (Brown getting the other 35) and whomever is on the field to start the drive will get the GL carries for that drive.  

This lines up with exactly what we saw in week 1.  If this ends up being true all year Gurley will have a strong year (RB10-15).  
If true that's relatively good news for Gurley owners. What about Henderson though, he's going to get 0 carries all year...

held true week 2 too... their giving brown entire drives.

If we've learned anything by now, it's that we should always take Sean McVay at his word.
Let’s direct our rage where it belongs - toward Jeff Fisher, who ran an historically awful offense that involved blindly running Gurley into 8-man fronts repeatedly for 2 seasons.  That couldn’t have helped his knee health.

Gurley's arthritis is so bad they decided to give him five carries up 27-9 with only 5:43 left in the game against a team playing their backup QB. :lmao:

Gurley's arthritis is so bad they decided to give him five carries up 27-9 with only 5:43 left in the game against a team playing their backup QB. :lmao:
They did? I thought Brown was in and Gurley was shown riding a bike and walking the sideline. 

They did? I thought Brown was in and Gurley was shown riding a bike and walking the sideline. 
Yup Gurley closed it out:

Los Angeles Rams at 5:43 1-10-LA 11 (5:43) T.Gurley left tackle to LA 11 for no gain (T.Hendrickson). 2-10-LA 11 (4:57) T.Gurley left tackle to LA 20 for 9 yards (E.Apple). 3-1-LA 20 (4:15) T.Gurley left tackle to LA 26 for 6 yards (C.Gardner-Johnson). R20 1-10-LA 26 (3:30) T.Gurley right end to LA 27 for 1 yard (V.Bell, A.Klein). Timeout #1 by NO at 03:24. 2-9-LA 27 (3:24) J.Goff sacked at LA 19 for -8 yards (M.Davenport). 3-17-LA 19 (2:39) T.Gurley left guard to LA 21 for 2 yards (D.Onyemata; M.Davenport). Timeout #2 by NO at 02:35. 4-15-LA 21 (2:35) J.Hekker punts 66 yards to NO 13, Center-J.McQuaide. D.Harris to NO 22 f

Do you want the SP to collectively say “you were right” just so you can stop litigating it in every single board conversation?  I mean, maybe everyone would just agree to do that as a public service.

Depends on your scoring system I suppose, but Gurley is in the RB 15-20 bracket right now. Right around Devin Singletary (just behind actually in my league).

Is this what was expected? No shares, just curious.

Column: Todd Gurley’s new normal is a reduced workload. Should Rams fans be concerned?

The sense of surprise could be heard in the crescendo of cheers that rained upon the Coliseum floor during a stunning moment in the third quarter on a sweltering late Sunday afternoon.

Todd Gurley was actually given the ball at the goal line!

Todd Gurley actually scored a touchdown!

As Gurley sat on the grass after diving into the corner of the end zone, he was given the sort of heartfelt reception usually reserved for a garbage-time basket by the last kid on the bench.

The Rams have transformed their consummate superstar into a serviceable cog, and the locals now know it after watching him only flash sporadically in the home opening 27-9 victory over the New Orleans Saints.

The last time anyone around here saw Gurley, he was completing a two-season run in which he led the league in touchdowns and yards from scrimmage and touches.

That was last winter. This was not that.

This was a game that was essentially decided the moment Saints’ quarterback Drew Brees injured his thumb in the first quarter. It was an opportune moment for Gurley to redeem himself after his disappearing act in last season’s NFC championship game in New Orleans. If the Rams were ever going to end the mystery of last season and let him pound the ball again and again, it was going to be now.

Yet of his 16 carries Sunday, five of those came in the fourth quarter after the game had been clinched. He gave the Rams a lead they never lost with a four-yard scoring burst in the third quarter, but then he was replaced by Malcom Brown for the next two series.

He did not consistently see the ball around the goal line. He was only targeted for four screen passes even though that used to be a staple of the Rams’ offense.

On a day when he was set up to once again be The Man, he was just another guy, 63 yards rushing, four yards on the screen passes. He still runs like Todd Gurley when he gets a chance, he just doesn’t get as many big chances.

“I’m good,” Gurley said when asked about his situation, but for how long?

He is essentially platooning at various moments with Brown. It’s worked out well with the Rams winning their first two games, and nobody should be calling for a change. But it’s a bold move, and only time will tell if keeping a guy who was recently the NFL’s best running back on the bench for long stretches of time is ultimately a sustainable strategy.

Gurley is not visibly injured. When he comes out of the game he doesn’t retire to a trainers table to receive attention for those battered knees. He doesn’t ride a stationary bike to stay loose. He simply stands on the sideline waiting to get back in.

It’s apparently not about healing him, but conserving him. It appears coach Sean McVay’s NBA-style offense is also employing the newest NBA strategy. Welcome to the football version of load management.

His arthritic knees are clearly at risk after flaring up at the end of last season. The Rams obviously do not want to lose him like they did in last season’s NFC championship game and Super Bowl. So they are cutting his time and holding their breath and perhaps planning on increasing his workload when the games get bigger.

It makes sense for now. It’s worked so far. Maybe this will turn him into another Kawhi Leonard come playoff time. McVay tried a similarly innovative method last year when they benched virtually every star during all of preseason, and now everyone is doing it.

The Rams have earned the benefit of the doubt here, but it’s still weird, watching the game’s best back just standing there healthy while his offense churns without him. It’s still strange that through two games, he has scored one fewer touchdown and has two fewer receiving yards than Brown. It’s even stranger when you listen to one of Gurley’s notable teammates celebrate his Sunday score.

“It was great, it was great,” said Aqib Talib excitedly. “It’s super important, he’s the engine, we go as far as T.G. takes us, you know what I’m saying?”

He added, “He’s our workhorse, we all know that.”

Maybe later, but not now. When I asked McVay if this job share with Brown was Gurley’s new normal, he didn’t rule it out.

“It’s hard to say right now just through two games,” McVay said. “I think they both have done a nice job…as the season continues to progress, I think we’ll really find out.”

As odd as it all seems, if it keeps working, here’s guessing McVay is going to stick with it, and who can blame him?

“Each game kind of represents a different approach, but I thought both those guys did a nice job making some timely runs at times we had to have it,” said McVay.

The coach did acknowledge that Gurley’s first touchdown of the year was big, and that things could eventually change.

I think it was important for our team,” he said of the score. “He’s a special player, he’s been outstanding for us, I think he’s going to continue to be more and more important, as important really as he’s always been for us.”

The biggest risk here is that Gurley remains as engaged as he was when he was truly the engine that ran this team. He’s a hard guy for outsiders to read, he says little, reveals less, and it’s tough for the media to tell whether he’s upset or not. But he’s remained consistent in saying his usage is strictly the coaches decision.

When I asked if he was aware that his role has changed, he said, “Ask Sean. I’m not the head coach.’’

That’s the most he’ll give away, his teammates marveling at how he’s handling being in the weekly center of the storm.

“Todd is a strong-minded dude, so many people pulling at him, media, fans,” said safety John Johnson III. “Todd is a true professional, a competitor, we know he’s going to do the right thing.”

What the Rams are doing to him seems like the right thing, at least for now. Here’s guessing that one way or another, Todd Gurley will have the last word.

Depends on your scoring system I suppose, but Gurley is in the RB 15-20 bracket right now. Right around Devin Singletary (just behind actually in my league).

Is this what was expected? No shares, just curious.
He’s RB 15 in non PPR with 100 yard bonuses. Right smack between Kamara at 14 and.... Malcolm Brown at 16. 

My RB2 and RB3 are currently way over performing and I own Malcom Brown as a handcuff so I’m not complaining too much about my second round pick of Gurley. He seems to have a safe floor currently which is not exactly what you want out of your RB1. But I drafted him with the thought that he’d be a stud RB1 again even though I knew all the signs. He’s put up a bit over 11 points a game and I hope will continue to get better.

based on the established usage the first two games (65% of snaps, taking series off etc.) i dont see how you can project TG3 to be any higher than a low end RB1 or high end RB2. just looking last year at the top 10 RB's in my scoring format, the only part time RBs (i.e. a RB who has to share significant snaps) on that list was Kamara (who is historically efficient with his touches) and james white and he was RB8. every other RB was a full time or near full time RB..

pre-draft i let his past dominance (greed blinded me) get in the way of common sense (medicals) when i drafted him with the hopes of snagging a top 3 RB at the end of the 1st round. ideally, TG3 has a 2 td game this week and I can trade him for a player with a path to top 5 production. if you have elite RB production from another draft pick, then you can be thrilled with Gurley as a rock solid RB2 with upside each week.

I have him teamed up with Bell. Not unhappy about that.

But my team stinks right now. 0-2 start. Oh well. 

Malcolm Brown listed as questionable at today’s practice.

I think this is the first time in a long while I’ve hope for an injury to the handcuff rather than vice versa.

based on the established usage the first two games (65% of snaps, taking series off etc.) i dont see how you can project TG3 to be any higher than a low end RB1 or high end RB2. just looking last year at the top 10 RB's in my scoring format, the only part time RBs (i.e. a RB who has to share significant snaps) on that list was Kamara (who is historically efficient with his touches) and james white and he was RB8. every other RB was a full time or near full time RB..

pre-draft i let his past dominance (greed blinded me) get in the way of common sense (medicals) when i drafted him with the hopes of snagging a top 3 RB at the end of the 1st round. ideally, TG3 has a 2 td game this week and I can trade him for a player with a path to top 5 production. if you have elite RB production from another draft pick, then you can be thrilled with Gurley as a rock solid RB2 with upside each week.
I hate to break it to you, but if a casual like me isn't giving anywhere but high second-round value, nobody at a high level is.

Todd Gurley had 14 carries for 43 yards in Week 3 against the Browns.

Gurley never got going in this one, with the Rams calling 38 pass plays despite having the lead for most of the night. He lost significant snaps to Malcolm Brown, who had a few series to himself, but out-touched Brown by a wide margin. Gurley's workloads have been scaled back to start the year, but it's possible that grows as the season moves along. Gurley has a great rebound spot against the Bucs in Week 4.

Sep 22, 2019, 11:42 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread