What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

I'm hopeful that the QB switch will help the defense. I'm thinking the Texans DST might be a buy low.
I think they should get better as they play together more. Wilfork, Watt, and Clowney did not play in preseason at all just to protect them from injury. Last year they were great at forcing TO's and although they didn't have any in game one, I think with pressure from Watt and Clowney, the Turnovers will be there.
Clowney is a bust with 1 sack

Jack White said:
He's great, but giving him QB money was a monumental mistake.
Not sure about that. Maybe 2 years ago I posted a question here of what non-QB player means the most to his team in terms of wins and losses. I think Watt was in the top 3 on the list. I think Peterson was as well (prior to his off field stuff). Can you name a non-QB who currently means more to his team in terms of wins and losses?

Jack White said:
Not sure about that. Maybe 2 years ago I posted a question here of what non-QB player means the most to his team in terms of wins and losses. I think Watt was in the top 3 on the list. I think Peterson was as well (prior to his off field stuff). Can you name a non-QB who currently means more to his team in terms of wins and losses?
You just answered your own question.

As great as he is as an individual player, he has zero affect on wins and losses. The team is not winning, and the defense as a whole has been a train wreck.

Jack White said:

As great as he is as an individual player, he has zero affect on wins and losses. The team is not winning, and the defense as a whole has been a train wreck.
Who, Peterson? Yes, he does mean a lot to his team. Aside from him, though, what player in the NFL means more to his team in terms of wins and losses?

Last year Houston was 9-7 - with 3 (you could argue 4) different QBs. They were 24th in passing offense, and while they were 22nd in yards per rush (3.9 YPC) which they just happened to do a lot of. So how'd they win 9 games? The 20.5 sacks from Watt was a huge part of it.

Jack White said:

zero affect. really? The rest of the team is bad. Without him, they might go winless.

If your argument is (and it seems it might be) "the Texans have a losing record, therefore Watt is doing nothing to help the team", how do you apply that to Phillip Rivers?

Bri said:
I'm hopeful that the QB switch will help the defense. I'm thinking the Texans DST might be a buy low.
I think they should get better as they play together more. Wilfork, Watt, and Clowney did not play in preseason at all just to protect them from injury. Last year they were great at forcing TO's and although they didn't have any in game one, I think with pressure from Watt and Clowney, the Turnovers will be there.
Clowney is a bust with 1 sack
This is kind of true by now isn't it. It doesn't get discussed much since he's not an offensive skill player but that does appear to be his status and holding...

Jack White said:
Then its a good thing that they didn't pay him QB money. The headline number may seem like a lot at $100M but his deal is very team friendly. Very little dead money or guarantees after the prime of his career years. Houston has a boatload of cap space next year as well.

Jack White said:
I think the monumental mistake was letting Rick Smith remain GM and bringing in Romeo Crennel as DC.

The Texans have 5 other 1st round picks on defense besides Watt: Mercilus, Clowney, Cushing, Jackson, and Johnson. They have have 3 defensive starters who were signed as Free Agents: James Joseph, Rahim Moore, Vince Wilfork. Wilfork and Moore have been busts. Cushing should have been cut several years ago, but Rick Smith signed him to a ridiculous extension which has forced the Texans to keep him. Clowney has potential but is looking like a china doll who can't stay healthy. Mercilus was also underperforming this year (after signing an extension in the off-season) until he got to fill in at Clowneys spot and he has been a pass rushing Juggernaut.

The one knock on Watt is that he likes to free lance, and at times that puts him out of position and forces other guys to have to try and make up for that. I think that is a valid criticism. but if Crennel can't find a way to have a great defense with someone like Watt as his cornerstone, then he really isn't much of a defensive coach. And outside of his time in New England (under Belichick) he really hasn't been that much of a defensive coach.

Watts is back on track and the fantasy community can get their panties out of a bunch. Oh yeah, and the Texans have won a few games.

Rotoworld:

Texans LE J.J. Watt will undergo groin surgery on Tuesday.

It's an injury he's been dealing with off and on for the last 6-7 weeks. Watt seemed to aggravate his groin Saturday after taking a hit from Chiefs OT Eric Fisher. Watt only missed a few plays but was reportedly in so much pain that he had to be driven from the locker room to his car after the game. Watt was a unanimous All-Pro selection this year and should continue his reign of dominance in 2016.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

I guess that article about Watt maybe not playing long may be coming to fruition.  I don't like this at all. A lot of piling up injuries on this guy who plays all out.  Sadly, I've seen a handful of great players who play like this in my time end up with shortened careers. 

I guess that article about Watt maybe not playing long may be coming to fruition.  I don't like this at all. A lot of piling up injuries on this guy who plays all out.  Sadly, I've seen a handful of great players who play like this in my time end up with shortened careers. 
even as a Titans fan, I'd hate to see Watt hang it up any time soon.  The man is simply the best player in the league, probably this century - though Tom Brady makes a strong case.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports J.J. Watt's back surgery occurred Wednesday, and comes with a 6-8 week recovery timeline.
In other words, he's questionable for Week 1. Initial reports had the Texans "hoping" he would be ready for the opener. It's certainly still possible, but a multi-game absence can't yet be ruled out. Watt obviously won't suit up for the preseason. His timetable should clarify as camp progresses.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

NFL.com's Mike Garafolo reports J.J. Watt's (back surgery) recovery could take up to 10 weeks.
Watt underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc on Wednesday. As is often the case with injury timelines, Watt's has gone from overly optimistic to more concerning in only a matter of hours. Houston's Week 3 Thursday night game is just nine weeks from today. Watt is now a serious candidate to miss the entire first month of the season, with the reserve/PUP list perhaps even an outside possibility. That would be the worst-case scenario.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports J.J. Watt (back) is expected to play Week 1 against the Bears.
The situation has been trending this way for several weeks, with coach Bill O'Brien saying Friday it "looks decent" for him to be ready for Week 1. Watt has had an injury-marred offseason, but he is getting healthy at the right time. The three-time Defensive Player of the Year has not missed a game in his five-year career.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jrodicus said:
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows someone close to J. J. ...

...and he is going to be placed on IR for the rest of the season.
This needs a bump. Was reported yesterday before it hit the wire. Big kudos.

Jrodicus said:

Second only to Calvin Johnson scoop in terms of recent SP insider info.

Jrodicus said:

Nice work.

the rare defensive injury that causes a bump to opponents.  Esp AFC South.

Nice work.

the rare defensive injury that causes a bump to opponents.  Esp AFC South.
Yep.  It will be interesting to see how much of an impact this has on the Texans.  But I'd bet a few QBs aren't sorry to see him out for a bit.  He seems like one of the genuinely good guys in the game and he's one of the elite so the league is worse off without him playing.

Jrodicus said:

I guess you really did know a guy. Good job

Jrodicus said:

Wonderful scoop here.  Was able to move him for DeVante Parker earlier this week before this news spread.  It's a dynasty league so it may end up hurting me next year or later, but with the hits I've been taking at WR (Calvin retirement, Allen injury, Watkins injury, Floyd questionable) I had to do it.

What exactly is wrong w his back?  Could be career ending? 
I believe it started as a herniated disc.  Mike Golic (of Mike and Mike on ESPN radio) said when it first was news this preseason/offseason that he could end up "never being the same" even then.  That news, along with his actually talking about possible retirement, and now this news last night of IR and maybe done for the season - I had to move him.  He had a great run on my team, but it was time to move on.

So does this take them from a top 5 fantasy def to maybe around 10ish?  Or worse?
2nd best in the division.  But probably average in ff and overall. I wouldn't draft them, maybe a stream play. 

Cushing is injured, Clowney has potential but isn't a difference maker yet.  Maybe I'm underestimsting someone but they don't have impact guys other than watt.

Users who are viewing this thread