What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

Did I miss the memo where the MVP is now a 2 season award?
If you don't think the tie-breaker in an MVP race has ever been the legacy of the players involved, you're crazy.

Watt has no chance, though.
Tie-breaker? Well I guess it's good that he's competing against Brady and Rogers then... two guys that have never done anything.

How can you NOT like this guy? Amazing athlete
1. That stupid commercial he does2. He seems to be mic'd up for every game, and he knows it.

3. Look at me sack dances. I know everyone does it, but for some reason his annoy me.

The guy just seems to be in love with himself.

I agree he's an amazing athlete though. One of the best defensive seasons since LT. Would love to see him get the MVP Award, but it's not gonna happen unfortunately.

Absolute beast. Defensive MVP.

Hard to make a legit case for league MVP when the team misses the playoffs each of the last two years though. Not that it has anything to do with Watt but no defensive player is going to win NFL MVP is today's game without their team making the playoffs.

Did I miss the memo where the MVP is now a 2 season award?
If you don't think the tie-breaker in an MVP race has ever been the legacy of the players involved, you're crazy.

Watt has no chance, though.
Watt <<< Legacy of Brady, Rodgers, Manning

Also I would say looking at the career would be a tie-breaker if things were even but Watt hasn't done enough to make things even. Like the MLB MVP if you don't make the playoffs you don't have a legitimate claim to be the MVP.

Requirements to be MVP candidate in my mind:

Make Playoffs (This eliminates Watt in my mind)

Be best player on team (This eliminates Romo in my mind)

Two serious contenders: Brady, Rodgers

In contention: Murray, Lynch, Bell

Fell out of contention last 3 weeks: Watt, Manning, Luck

MVP Winner: Rodgers (I think the difference between Brady with and without Gronk could hurt Brady's shot)

The playoff thing is overblown imo. Texans almost made it with absolute garbage at the most important position. Without Watt that's a 4-12 team.

The playoff thing is overblown imo. Texans almost made it with absolute garbage at the most important position. Without Watt that's a 4-12 team.
Doesn't stand up to reason.We already know what Watt and a team of "absolute garbage" do in the NFL. They go 2-14 just like they did last year. I know last year had its own awards, but that certainly speaks to the true value an all pro DL brings to his team in the W/L dept.

Foster was a much bigger difference maker in terms of team record. Those two guys have been playing on that team together, both at very high levels, for years now. It's no coincidence the year they went in the crapper was the year Foster spent the year hurt.

There's a reason you'll never see a team with a healthy Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning go 2-14. There's simply a ton more real value to controlling the entire offense than there is to playing one of 11 roles on defense -- even if you play that role perfectly.

There's no shame in being the best defensive player in football, collecting stacks of first team all pros, going into the HOF on the first ballot, and getting mentioned among the best ever at your position. None of that stuff is going to carry your team to greater heights than a great QB, though, and right now, the NFL has a number of them. Watt will get his share of votes from guys who fancy themselves old school, hard nosed types. But on a rational ballot, he's got no business appearing in the top five.

In terms of value, it's the best dozen or so QB's in the game, the best bunch of RB's in the game, and then we can start talking about players who aren't directly impacting several hundred plays a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you're taking Watts game changing ability too lightly. Last year he didn't have the kind of year he had this year. Also the defense completely changed. Foster is a great back but he was out 3 games and was limited in 1, the Texans went 2-2 in those games. His first 3 full games back they went 0-3. Watt isn't just an on field presence, he's also the emotional leader of that team. I stand by my assertion that that's a 4-12 team without him.

Freelove said:
fruity pebbles said:
Doesn't stand up to reason.We already know what Watt and a team of "absolute garbage" do in the NFL. They go 2-14 just like they did last year. I know last year had its own awards, but that certainly speaks to the true value an all pro DL brings to his team in the W/L dept.

Foster was a much bigger difference maker in terms of team record. Those two guys have been playing on that team together, both at very high levels, for years now. It's no coincidence the year they went in the crapper was the year Foster spent the year hurt.

There's a reason you'll never see a team with a healthy Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning go 2-14. There's simply a ton more real value to controlling the entire offense than there is to playing one of 11 roles on defense -- even if you play that role perfectly.

There's no shame in being the best defensive player in football, collecting stacks of first team all pros, going into the HOF on the first ballot, and getting mentioned among the best ever at your position. None of that stuff is going to carry your team to greater heights than a great QB, though, and right now, the NFL has a number of them. Watt will get his share of votes from guys who fancy themselves old school, hard nosed types. But on a rational ballot, he's got no business appearing in the top five.

In terms of value, it's the best dozen or so QB's in the game, the best bunch of RB's in the game, and then we can start talking about players who aren't directly impacting several hundred plays a year.
You make some good points regarding Watt. But in summary, your main point is that MVP should really be MVQB, based on the value of the QB position, is it not?

fruity pebbles said:
Think you're taking Watts game changing ability too lightly. Last year he didn't have the kind of year he had this year. Also the defense completely changed. Foster is a great back but he was out 3 games and was limited in 1, the Texans went 2-2 in those games. His first 3 full games back they went 0-3. Watt isn't just an on field presence, he's also the emotional leader of that team. I stand by my assertion that that's a 4-12 team without him.
He single handed won 5 games? Could you point to which 5 you are talking about?

Washington (Texans Scored 17) (only scored more than 17 8 times all season)

@Oakland (Texans Scored 30) (only scored more than 30 0 times all season)

Buffalo (Texans Scored 23) (only scored more than 23 5 times all season)

@Tennessee (Texans Scored 30) (only scored more than 30 0 times all season)

@Cleveland (Texans Scored 23) (only scored more than 23 8 times all season)

Tennessee (Texans Scored 45) (only scored more than 45 0 times all season)

@Jacksonville (Texans Scored 27) (only scored more than 27 0 times all season)

Baltimore (Texans Scored 25) (only scored more than 25 7 times all season)

Jacksonville (Texans Scored 23) (only scored more than 23 2 times all season)

So if the Texans even have an average defense they likely win all those games based on their offense. If you want to say they would even have a below average defense they likely still win all but 3 of those games then based on PPG.

fruity pebbles said:

So if the Texans even have an average defense they likely win all those games based on their offense. If you want to say they would even have a below average defense they likely still win all but 3 of those games then based on PPG.
Three things. First, he himself scored five TDs this season plus a couple safeties to add to those point totals. Second, Watt was responsible for setting up the offense with his 20 plus sacks and half dozen fumble recoveries etc. Third, anyone who saw the last Jacksonville game in particular knows that Watt threw that team on his back.

fruity pebbles said:

Three things. First, he himself scored five TDs this season plus a couple safeties to add to those point totals. Second, Watt was responsible for setting up the offense with his 20 plus sacks and half dozen fumble recoveries etc. Third, anyone who saw the last Jacksonville game in particular knows that Watt threw that team on his back.
Again can you point to 5 SPECIFIC games where he single handed won them the game where even a below average D-lineman would not have?

Washington - 1 sack + 2 tackles (average)

@Oakland - TD catch / 0 sacks + 0 tackles (not important - TD catch didn't mean anything to game)

Buffalo - 0 sacks + 2 tackles + 1 INT TD (single handed turned the game)

@Tennessee - 2 sacks + 3 tackles (won by 2 TDs - average)

@Cleveland - TD catch / 1 sack + 4 tackles (won by 3 possessions - TD catch didn't mean anything to game)

Tennessee - TD catch / 2 sacks + 3 tackles (won by 4 possessions - TD catch didn't mean anything to game)

@Jacksonville - 3 sacks + 4 tackles (won by 2 TDs - possibly important sacks)

Baltimore - 1 sack + 7 tackles (won by 2 possessions but lots of tackles)

Jacksonville - 3 sacks + 6 tackles + 1 safety (big game w/ safety, sacks, tackles)

I see all his catches really being meaningless to the outcome of the games and really only 2 games you could really point to as him being that extremely important. (Buffalo + Jacksonville) You could argue against a good Baltimore team he helped change the game plan enough to swing momentum there way as well. Every other game was against very sub-par teams in which the Texans won by more than 2 possessions and scored more points than those opponents really scored in any game all season.

So I ask point to the specific 5 games you say they won only because of him.

fruity pebbles said:

Again can you point to 5 SPECIFIC games where he single handed won them the game where even a below average D-lineman would not have?

Washington - 1 sack + 2 tackles (average)

@Oakland - TD catch / 0 sacks + 0 tackles (not important - TD catch didn't mean anything to game)

@Cleveland - TD catch / 1 sack + 4 tackles (won by 3 possessions - TD catch didn't mean anything to game)

Tennessee - TD catch / 2 sacks + 3 tackles (won by 4 possessions - TD catch didn't mean anything to game)

Jacksonville - 3 sacks + 6 tackles + 1 safety (big game w/ safety, sacks, tackles)

I see all his catches really being meaningless to the outcome of the games and really only 2 games you could really point to as him being that extremely important. (Buffalo + Jacksonville) You could argue against a good Baltimore team he helped change the game plan enough to swing momentum there way as well. Every other game was against very sub-par teams in which the Texans won by more than 2 possessions and scored more points than those opponents really scored in any game all season.

I think your analysis is pretty good. Crediting Watt directly with changing 3 games directly is pretty accurate. He also almost helped them come back against Indy in the first game; the 24-0 deficit was just too much too overcome. The Texans also got unlucky in the 2nd Colts game in that Fitzgerald got hurt. Watt and the defense did enough to win that game, the offense under Savage just could not do enough.

The one play that looking back might have changed the season and the MVP voting was Watt's missed sack on Romo in the Dallas game. Up 7-3 in the 3rd quarter, Watt came in alone on Romo, who at the last second saw him and spun away from the sack. He then heaved it 50 yards downfield for a TD to Terence Williams. If Watt gets that sack and the Texans go on to win that game, The Texans probably make the playoffs.

That's the thing that's hard to measure. How many of the plays that Watt got sacks on would have turned into big plays if he had not made the sack? It's not like the Texans had any other really good pass rushers that would have gotten them if he hadn't. How many of those big plays might have changed the momentum of a game?

I think some of those comfortable wins the Texans had might have easily been lost due to big plays if Watt doesn't make the plays he does (@ Tennessee, @ Jacksonvile).

In this era when all the rules favor the passing QB, there was not a whole lot to differentiate between Rodgers, Romo, Brady and Roethlisberger. All had great seasons. Can you name me another defensive player who came anywhere near Watt in affecting the outcome of their teams games?

fruity pebbles said:

@Tennessee (Texans Scored 30) (only scored more than 30 0 times all season)@Cleveland (Texans Scored 23) (only scored more than 23 8 times all season)

@Jacksonville (Texans Scored 27) (only scored more than 27 0 times all season)Baltimore (Texans Scored 25) (only scored more than 25 7 times all season)

Again can you point to 5 SPECIFIC games where he single handed won them the game where even a below average D-lineman would not have?Washington - 1 sack + 2 tackles (average)

Both Jags games, Ravens, Buffalo. Possibly Browns and Skins. I'd have to watch those 2 again. Watts stat line doesn't always tell the whole story. How do you factor in the 2 sometimes 3 guys the offense uses to try and contain him?

I was at the Ravens game. Being able to watch JJ on every single play, you get an appreciation for precisely how much he disrupts the offense. There is no question in my mind that they lose that game without him in the line-up.

I was at the Ravens game. Being able to watch JJ on every single play, you get an appreciation for precisely how much he disrupts the offense. There is no question in my mind that they lose that game without him in the line-up.
That must have been a great experience to see him in person.

Both Jags games, Ravens, Buffalo. Possibly Browns and Skins. I'd have to watch those 2 again. Watts stat line doesn't always tell the whole story. How do you factor in the 2 sometimes 3 guys the offense uses to try and contain him?
Thanks for responding (not being sarcastic), I can see how you might give him those games except the first Jacksonville game because of how bad Jacksonville is. I personally don't believe he single handed won 5+ games but I also didn't watch every snap of the Texans as I would only tune in and out of their games (they are my AFC team I pull for on the side).

That's the thing that's hard to measure. How many of the plays that Watt got sacks on would have turned into big plays if he had not made the sack? It's not like the Texans had any other really good pass rushers that would have gotten them if he hadn't. How many of those big plays might have changed the momentum of a game?
This is also very important both in his sacks he does get as well as the disruption he causes on the line with double teams and protection schemes. I think its almost impossible to really appreciate a defensive player though as its just way to hard for the normal person to understand what if anything the offense is doing to neutralize the defensive player. (For instance you could see Sherman not being thrown at for a whole Packers game)

In the end I think Watt lends himself more to the potentially best player in the league and not the Most Valuable Player in the league. Whats the difference? Well best player is just a measurement of what a Madden rating would be while MVP is a measurement more of how much of the team success is reliant on that one player.

Thanks for responding (not being sarcastic), I can see how you might give him those games except the first Jacksonville game because of how bad Jacksonville is. I personally don't believe he single handed won 5+ games but I also didn't watch every snap of the Texans as I would only tune in and out of their games (they are my AFC team I pull for on the side).

This is also very important both in his sacks he does get as well as the disruption he causes on the line with double teams and protection schemes. I think its almost impossible to really appreciate a defensive player though as its just way to hard for the normal person to understand what if anything the offense is doing to neutralize the defensive player. (For instance you could see Sherman not being thrown at for a whole Packers game)In the end I think Watt lends himself more to the potentially best player in the league and not the Most Valuable Player in the league. Whats the difference? Well best player is just a measurement of what a Madden rating would be while MVP is a measurement more of how much of the team success is reliant on that one player.
Let me turn this around a bit. Most think Rodgers wins the MVP, what's the Packers record with an average or slightly above average QB? Say a Tannehill or Flacco? Packers defense was pretty good as was the running game and they have two top receivers.

This is also very important both in his sacks he does get as well as the disruption he causes on the line with double teams and protection schemes. I think its almost impossible to really appreciate a defensive player though as its just way to hard for the normal person to understand what if anything the offense is doing to neutralize the defensive player. (For instance you could see Sherman not being thrown at for a whole Packers game)In the end I think Watt lends himself more to the potentially best player in the league and not the Most Valuable Player in the league. Whats the difference? Well best player is just a measurement of what a Madden rating would be while MVP is a measurement more of how much of the team success is reliant on that one player.
Let me turn this around a bit. Most think Rodgers wins the MVP, what's the Packers record with an average or slightly above average QB? Say a Tannehill or Flacco? Packers defense was pretty good as was the running game and they have two top receivers.
I would give Rodgers:

NYJ - average QB doesn't get the Packers back in the game

@MIA - average QB doesn't complete the last drive

CAR (possibly) - average QB doesn't likely get 4 out of 5 TDs to start the game

PHI - packers don't punt first half

NE - packers punt 1 time the whole game

ATL - packers punt 1 time the whole game

DET (possibly) - (just because with an average QB not sure if the Lions don't step up the defense to just worry about the Run and shut it down)

The defense has been good but only because Rodgers rarely if ever turns the ball over. He gives them long fields to drive down and the defense has lots of chances to make stops. Also he doesn't allow pick 6s and other things that average QBs are known for. Packers are 26th in yards per drive (33.39 yards/drive) and thus a long field works to their advantage to not allow points.

So in the end I would give Rodgers 5 to 7 wins where he is the main reason they won. I see average QBs play all the time and its not even funny what Rodgers does in comparison. The accuracy, decision making, protection of the ball, and defensive focus on Rodgers all lead to the Packers winning. If nothing else I KNOW the Packers are not a playoff team and winning another NFC North title without Rodgers.

One other note, ask the Bears fans if they would have traded all those years of great defenses for Rodgers? I would guess 75%+ would trade it in a heartbeat to have a NFL QB like Rodgers instead of the average joes they have trotted out there.

So you think they're a 5-11 or 6-10 team with say a Flacco or Tannehill? Worse than the Vikings. If so I can absolutely see Rodgers as the MVP. I still think they're a 9-7 team with a slightly above average QB.

Yeah, if you go with who won you the most games as the primary factor, I don't see how a defensive player will ever win MVP over the best QB in the league.

So you think they're a 5-11 or 6-10 team with say a Flacco or Tannehill? Worse than the Vikings. If so I can absolutely see Rodgers as the MVP. I still think they're a 9-7 team with a slightly above average QB.
Have you watched Rodgers play and what he does?

Incredibly low INT rate (his career TD:INT ratio is over 4 which is basically 2x better than 2nd place McNabb over his career)

One of the most accurate passers in the league (completion % does not do him justice as he is not going to force an INT to worry about completion % and you don't get a sense for him throwing receivers open with his pinpoint accuracy play after play)

Look at Nelson and Cobb I would bet there is at least 10-15+ wide receivers who would be taken based on their physical skills over these two

Finally Rodgers can run only trailing behind Russell Wilson and Cam Newton in rushing prowess for above average QBs

Yeah, if you go with who won you the most games as the primary factor, I don't see how a defensive player will ever win MVP over the best QB in the league.
We are not voting on who gets the highest Madden rating, we are voting on who is most valuable.

Incredibly low INT rate (his career TD:INT ratio is over 4 which is basically 2x better than 2nd place McNabb over his career)

One of the most accurate passers in the league (completion % does not do him justice as he is not going to force an INT to worry about completion % and you don't get a sense for him throwing receivers open with his pinpoint accuracy play after play)

Look at Nelson and Cobb I would bet there is at least 10-15+ wide receivers who would be taken based on their physical skills over these two

Finally Rodgers can run only trailing behind Russell Wilson and Cam Newton in rushing prowess for above average QBs
Of course, he's awesome. But with an average QB I still think the Pack are better than the Vikings or Bears.

We are not voting on who gets the highest Madden rating, we are voting on who is most valuable.
Right. And if you equate most valuable with who won you the most games, I don't see how a defensive player will ever win MVP over the best QB in the league.

bigbottom said:
TDorBust said:
bigbottom said:
Right. And if you equate most valuable with who won you the most games, I don't see how a defensive player will ever win MVP over the best QB in the league.
If your that valuable to your team your should at least get them to the playoffs. Like someone earlier said you won't see Manning, Brady, Rodgers missing the playoffs on a consistent basis if they do it's likely a fluke of a year.

When you talk about the Packers without Rodgers it's like looking at the Falcons and how consistent are they? Matt Ryan is an above average QB yet his team has not come through in back to back years now.

Is it strange how teams that continually are in the playoffs almost always have good QBs?

Look at team with 4+ straight years of playoff appearances and show me a team without a good QB that is why the QB position is the most valuable position on a team, that is why every week you hear about how they would start with xyz QB if you re drafted the NFL.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_consecutive_playoff_appearances

Again it's not about the MOST wins but it's about at least getting to the playoffs. Do you think AP is a serious MVP candidate a few years back without getting to the playoffs? It's not that horribly hard like MLB to get to the playoffs your talking about 12 of 32 teams.

bigbottom said:
TDorBust said:
bigbottom said:
If your that valuable to your team your should at least get them to the playoffs. Like someone earlier said you won't see Manning, Brady, Rodgers missing the playoffs on a consistent basis if they do it's likely a fluke of a year.When you talk about the Packers without Rodgers it's like looking at the Falcons and how consistent are they? Matt Ryan is an above average QB yet his team has not come through in back to back years now.

Is it strange how teams that continually are in the playoffs almost always have good QBs?

Look at team with 4+ straight years of playoff appearances and show me a team without a good QB that is why the QB position is the most valuable position on a team, that is why every week you hear about how they would start with xyz QB if you re drafted the NFL.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_consecutive_playoff_appearances

Again it's not about the MOST wins but it's about at least getting to the playoffs. Do you think AP is a serious MVP candidate a few years back without getting to the playoffs? It's not that horribly hard like MLB to get to the playoffs your talking about 12 of 32 teams.
I'm not exactly sure what you think we are debating here. Do you not agree that if the determining factor is which player individually won you the most games, it will be pretty much impossible for a defensive player to win MVP over the best QB in the league? My previous two posts were agreeing with your conclusion based upon that premise.

4 points:

1) QB is a more valuable position than DE

2) Given 1) above, I still think Watt was more valuable to his team than Rodgers was to his. I think the Packers are 9-7 with an average QB instead of Rodgers (Rodgers worth 3 wins). I think the Texans are 5-11 with an average DE instead of Watt (Watt worth 4 wins)

3) Making the playoffs is irrelevant to the discussion because the supporting teams and situations are not the same for every player. Watt played for a first year coach who was installing a new offense and a new defense. Rodgers played for a veteran coach who has existing systems in place. Green Bays supporting team has far more talent for Rodgers than Houston's supporting team had for Watt.

4) I am a Texan's fan who watched most of the Texans games, so I am biased towards Watt. I saw only a small sampling of Rodgers this year.

Given all that, I fully expect Rodgers to win MVP and I am not butt-hurt by that. I get more irritated that people dismiss Watt's season like he didn't do anything special this year, he didn't impact where the Texans finished this year, and he doesn't deserve to be in the discussion for MVP.

fruity pebbles said:
TDorBust said:
fruity pebbles said:

Of course, he's awesome. But with an average QB I still think the Pack are better than the Vikings or Bears.
Put Rodgers on the Bears and a average QB on the Packers and places are likely flipped. I would bet that the Bears would actually be the NFC North Champs.

I could see the Bears picking up wins against (GB [Average QB remeber], @GB, BUF, MIA, NO, DET, @MIN) a total of 7 games making them 12-4. I would still see losses likely (@CAR, @NE, @DET, DAL). Rodgers vs Cutler would bring a complete shift to that offence really allowing the defence to be more relaxed and likely play better as well.

4 points:

2) Given 1) above, I still think Watt was more valuable to his team than Rodgers was to his. I think the Packers are 9-7 with an average QB instead of Rodgers (Rodgers worth 3 wins). I think the Texans are 5-11 with an average DE instead of Watt (Watt worth 4 wins)

3) Making the playoffs is irrelevant to the discussion because the supporting teams and situations are not the same for every player. Watt played for a first year coach who was installing a new offense and a new defense. Rodgers played for a veteran coach who has existing systems in place. Green Bays supporting team has far more talent for Rodgers than Houston's supporting team had for Watt.

4) I am a Texan's fan who watched most of the Texans games, so I am biased towards Watt. I saw only a small sampling of Rodgers this year.

Given all that, I fully expect Rodgers to win MVP and I am not butt-hurt by that. I get more irritated that people dismiss Watt's season like he didn't do anything special this year, he didn't impact where the Texans finished this year, and he doesn't deserve to be in the discussion for MVP.
I just think the position that any DL, no matter how well he plays, is worth a quarter season's worth of wins is madness.Watt anchored the defense on a two win team just a year ago. The difference in his play wasn't even enough to make THIS year's defense good. They were a middle of the road unit. The only unit that had a top five finish for HOU was the offensive rushing guys. Which of course, directly damages the opponent's offensive opportunities, meaning the defense's overall ratings skew artificially high.

There's simply not the potential to alter that many games' outcomes when teams can successfully neutralize or avoid your contributions on all but 80 plays over the course of a season, no matter how well those plays go. You can argue all you want that he affects way more plays than that, but the team defensive stats say the effect isn't particularly profound when he's not finishing the play. :shrug:

You can't avoid the contributions of a Rodgers or Murray. You can muster your resources to try to minimize their impact (just as teams muster double teams to try to minimize a Watt), but the QB and RB are still going to do hundreds of plays worth of damage, and the records and overall strengths of the units they play on reflect the impact -- and thus the value those contributions have to generating wins and preventing losses.

Or, said another way, I'm definitely not diminishing the greatness of how Watt played this season. It goes down as one of the best individual defensive seasons of all time, IMO.

And I'm also not going to hold it against anybody who wanted to vote Watt on the premise that "Most Valuable" is an archaic or unfair notion that maximizes the chances of a couple specific ball-hogging positions that happen to carry the most real world value in terms of determining wins and losses.

I only take issue with people who want to twist that around by artificially inflating the value a single defensive player can have in determining the outcomes of games over the course of a season and saying that in those terms, Watt is nonetheless a deserving winner. In those terms, he's simply not even in the discussion. He figured into the voting precisely because of the number of voters who think it ought to shift to being more of a Player of the Year award.

Or, said another way, I'm definitely not diminishing the greatness of how Watt played this season. It goes down as one of the best individual defensive seasons of all time, IMO.

And I'm also not going to hold it against anybody who wanted to vote Watt on the premise that "Most Valuable" is an archaic or unfair notion that maximizes the chances of a couple specific ball-hogging positions that happen to carry the most real world value in terms of determining wins and losses.

I only take issue with people who want to twist that around by artificially inflating the value a single defensive player can have in determining the outcomes of games over the course of a season and saying that in those terms, Watt is nonetheless a deserving winner. In those terms, he's simply not even in the discussion. He figured into the voting precisely because of the number of voters who think it ought to shift to being more of a Player of the Year award.
We can agree to disagree about how much a DLineman, or Watt, specifically, can affect the game.

All I know is, if you replace Watt with an Average DE than the 2014 Texans look very much like.... The 4-12 2014 Redskins. Good Receivers, Mediocre QB's, Good RB's, Bad to average defense, first year head coaches. The Texans would have a slightly better offensive line and probably better coaching, but that is about it.

The Texans led the league in Takeaways. Watt had a huge hand in that. There is no way to measure how many turnovers his play affected, but teams would have definitely played the Texans defense differently if Watt were not in there, and probably would not have turned the ball over as much. The Texans would have gotten fewer easy points which would have put more pressure on the offense to score. This probably would have led to the Texans QB's having to do more to win, which based on who they were would not have been a good thing for the Texans. The Texans turnovers would have gone up, and easy points would have gone to the other team.

I think the people who could give you the best idea about how valuable Watt is would be opposing offensive coordinators. I would love to know how they changed their game plans due to Watt.

fruity pebbles said:
TDorBust said:
fruity pebbles said:

last years record during his absence might indicate otherwise, but it is all just speculation. I love Watt. he is a home town boy making good. Anything he gets, he deserves.

As stated upthread, I only saw one game this season where I was able to watch Watt on every single play. That was the Baltimore game. There is no doubt in my mind that the Texans lose that game without Watt in the lineup. I don't think you can simply look at the stats to reach that conclusion - you have to watch him on every play to see the impact. As for the other 15 regular season games, I can't really say whether and to what extent he impacted the outcome of the game as I wasn't there.

4 points:

I just think the position that any DL, no matter how well he plays, is worth a quarter season's worth of wins is madness.Watt anchored the defense on a two win team just a year ago. The difference in his play wasn't even enough to make THIS year's defense good. They were a middle of the road unit. The only unit that had a top five finish for HOU was the offensive rushing guys. Which of course, directly damages the opponent's offensive opportunities, meaning the defense's overall ratings skew artificially high.

There's simply not the potential to alter that many games' outcomes when teams can successfully neutralize or avoid your contributions on all but 80 plays over the course of a season, no matter how well those plays go. You can argue all you want that he affects way more plays than that, but the team defensive stats say the effect isn't particularly profound when he's not finishing the play. :shrug:

You can't avoid the contributions of a Rodgers or Murray. You can muster your resources to try to minimize their impact (just as teams muster double teams to try to minimize a Watt), but the QB and RB are still going to do hundreds of plays worth of damage, and the records and overall strengths of the units they play on reflect the impact -- and thus the value those contributions have to generating wins and preventing losses.
Help me understand your point here.

Are you saying a defense can't focus on the rb every bit as much as an offense could game plan for the DE?

Help me understand your point here.

Are you saying a defense can't focus on the rb every bit as much as an offense could game plan for the DE?
I think that's what he is saying and I believe it.

Help me understand your point here.Are you saying a defense can't focus on the rb every bit as much as an offense could game plan for the DE?
I think that's what he is saying and I believe it.
A defense can certainly focus on stopping an RB, but that doesn't stop him from successfully contributing his specific yardage gaining skill 300 or more times a year. There are even some games where great RB's (or QB's) are successfully limited in what they accomplish.But even the best DL, no matter how successful he is at winning individual battles and beating schemes, only contributes his specific offense-thwarting actions 80 or so times a year.

To make the case that such a player has as much value to his team as a prolific offensive player such as a workhorse RB or star QB, you'd have to show that all the times he wasn't making plays, he was commanding so much attention that it was elevating the rest of his unit to elite levels. With HOU, that was clearly not the case, because they simply weren't an elite D by any meaningful metric.

I'm quite sure the rest of HOU's D was better than they would have been with a replacement level DE instead, but while helping to raise the overall level of your unit to mediocrity is nothing to sneeze at, it's also not the stuff of "most valuable in the entire league." :shrug:

Best player? Sure. Most valuable? Hard to make the case.

Was just looking at some stats. Watt is 2.5 sacks ahead of Reggie White at the same point in their career. Reggie was playing against USFL players his first two seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread