What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (3 Viewers)

For those not wanting to look at a calendar, we’re currently 11 weeks post surgery and they’ve already ruled him out to beyond 13 weeks.  Either something has gone tremendously wrong or they’re protecting what is presently the most valuable trade chip on a team going positively nowhere.
Sure hope you're onto something.  Any chance on a late season surge on a couple of teams (redraft) where I've stubbornly held onto to him depend upon the elder statesman to start producing.

Coach Zac Taylor wouldn't rule out A.J. Green (ankle) for the team's Week 8 matchup against the Rams.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Green isn't expected to return until after the October 29 trade deadline. Taylor wouldn't rule out Green suiting up Sunday against the Rams, but noted that the team won't roll him out there until the stud WR is able to practice full go. It seems very unlikely that we see Green this week against Jalen Ramsey and company. Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate and Alex Erickson will continue to work in 3-WR sets as long as AJG remains sidelined.

SOURCE: Geoff Hobson on Twitter.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:08 PM ET

Sanu gets traded for a 2nd

Sanders goes for a 3rd and 4th.

The Bengals don't want to trade AJ Green in his contract year? The market says hes worth a lot according to the other trades for WR.

If they don't trade him, do they take the title of dumbest franchise from Washington? 

Last edited by a moderator:
BUF, GB, OAK, NO, HOU (holy win now mode...)

You have to think the Patriots asked the Bengals MANY times before shipping a 2nd for Sanu?

I can't see CAR getting involved.  I could see SEA checking in.

You have to think the Patriots asked the Bengals MANY times before shipping a 2nd for Sanu?

Houston, do they even have a first. Seems optimistic. They just don't need that much.

Carolina is invested in their 2 young guys DJ and Samuel.

Seattle? They're pretty deep. Have a solid rook. And they don't pass enough I think to fully benefit from trading for him.

GB OAK Buff all make the most sense by far.

good gracious you know the Pats inquired if they got Sanu.   Green is 10 times the receiver Sanu is.   Can't believe Cinci didn't trade him to NE.  I just have to believe the offer was at least a 2nd & probably higher.IMO

Houston, do they even have a first. Seems optimistic. They just don't need that much.

Seattle? They're pretty deep. Have a solid rook. And they don't pass enough I think to fully benefit from trading for him.

Connor Hughes who covers the Jets for the Athletic said that Houston called asking about Robbie Anderson. So, I guess there still is a need for a WR. They probably couldn't afford to give up much for Green. I'm not even sure what they have left after their past 2 trades. Maybe a second rounder? Not sure

Seattle isn't that deep. They also just lost arguably their 2nd best pass catcher in Dissly, who even though he plays another position, was their red zone guy, which is a place Green excels. I think they make more sense than Buffalo. 

I never thought of New Orleans, but that would be crazy dangerous if they could find a way to do it financially. The thing about Green, is that he's always only had Andy Dalton(and Marvin Lewis), maybe he's had so many injuries that he's nowhere near the player he once was, but if he can be even close, Drew Brees(and Sean Payton) would be one hell of an upgrade.

I really thought Green bay would be in on Sanders. Just seemed like a perfect fit.

Connor Hughes who covers the Jets for the Athletic said that Houston called asking about Robbie Anderson. So, I guess there still is a need for a WR. They probably couldn't afford to give up much for Green. I'm not even sure what they have left after their past 2 trades. Maybe a second rounder? Not sure
No idea why Houston would want a WR. They have Hopkins, Stills, Coutee, and will get Fuller back at some point. That is a top-5 NFL WR group already.

Fuller's hamstring is said to be more severe than originally thought. Sprinter like that...that's a multi-week absence, most likely.
Right, but likely not a season ender. Stills/Coutee is a solid 2-3 behind Hopkins. Not sure a guy like Anderson is worth trading for a short term upgrade, if he even is one. Maybe I'm higher on Stills than most?

Right, but likely not a season ender. Stills/Coutee is a solid 2-3 behind Hopkins. Not sure a guy like Anderson is worth trading for a short term upgrade, if he even is one. Maybe I'm higher on Stills than most?
I actually agree with you and am surprised by the report, too. That's about all I can say. I am not high on Coutee, though, who is also oft-injured and at times ineffective. I guess Anderson/Stills/Hopkins really, really stretches the field. 

No idea why Houston would want a WR. They have Hopkins, Stills, Coutee, and will get Fuller back at some point. That is a top-5 NFL WR group already.
Houston is flying blind with an idiotic pilot hell bent on immediately winning.  I could see them trading their 2022 and 2023 1st rounders lol. 

Eta: I agree that it doesn't make sense, but read the rumors they were pursuing WR.  Same for Buf to a lesser degree. 

I guess they have a week to trade him. 

Some owners in some of my leagues have openly told me that they don't feel like they should have to pay full price for anyone who is on the block.  I guess they assume you have no leverage because you can't afford to or don't want to wait. 

Maybe the Bengals are just posturing.  I don't trust them though. 

The Patriots must have come to them with at least a 1st if they paid a 2nd for Sanu. 

We forgot the obvious PHI with their awful WRs right now. 

Cecil said that PHI and MIN were also in the mix for E Sanders. 

It's also been reported that AJ won't be ready until November.  Maybe it's hard to get trade value if he's not healthy, and teams are low balling... 

Houston is really high on Stills (I live down here).

They are not deep at all. Hopkins is a warrior that plays through a ton of nagging injuries.

Stills missed a game already.

Coutee gets hurt sneezing.

Fuller is already expected to miss multiple games. With such a quick declaration, that's probably a serious hammy injury. That sounds like a grade 2 strain which usually requires at least 4 weeks, but I'm just speculating here with limited info.   With his injury history plus his main attribute being speed, who knows how long he will be out or get re-injured again. That's it. There is nothing behind these guys. Just jag Andre Carter.

This rumor doesn't surprise me at all, especially considering that Anderson is a field stretcher like Fuller. Stills can then play from the slot.

It's also been reported that AJ won't be ready until November.  Maybe it's hard to get trade value if he's not healthy, and teams are low balling... 
Philly tried to trade for R Anderson last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're in the mix again if the Jets are willing to sell this time.

I hope he is not traded.... It would kill his fantasy season since he is prob out 2 weeks then take another few weeks to get up to speed.... Just better to stay on this crappy team that he knows the offense inside and out.

I hope he is not traded.... It would kill his fantasy season since he is prob out 2 weeks then take another few weeks to get up to speed.... Just better to stay on this crappy team that he knows the offense inside and out.
The problem is if he doesn't get traded, will he find a way to stay "hurt" without a new contract?

Does he know the offense inside and out? I mean, he's never played in it before. He's had a playbook sure, and I'm sure watched from the sideline, but its not like this is the offense they've had in Cinci for years.

Agree with this.  The grass isn't always greener.  Seems more often than not, WRs that change teams midseason don't do a whole lot.

2020 2nd rounder and 2021 3rd rounder is all they have left in the first three rounds the next two years. Thanks a lot BOB.

There's only one game left in October.  Doesn't seem like much of a report.  It also fits into the timeline of the Bengals waiting until after their Bye to bring him back on the field.  Its not exactly crack reporting there.

As a Wentz AND AJ owner, I wholeheartedly vote for proposal "A". 🙂

ESPN Bengals reporter Ben Baby reports A.J. Green (ankle) is unlikely to play Week 8 against the Rams.

Green's debut will have to wait at least another week, and it will be interesting to see if he even suits up for the winless Bengals as the trade deadline comes next Tuesday. In the final year of his deal, Green hasn't seemed interested in an extension with the Bengals showing no tangible signs of progress under first-year coach Zac Taylor.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Oct 23, 2019, 11:06 AM ET

I think it became clear weeks ago AJG would not be suiting up before the trade deadline, unless he was either traded or signed.  We haven't heard a peep about a new contract, either from AJG or the Bengals, so I have to assume one is not in the works.  We would've heard something by now.  As high profile as AJG is, it's amazing the lack of information we have on him.  And I have to think AJG and the Bengals want it that way.

Imagine being the Bengals and just letting AJ walk for a late 2021 3rd round comp pick instead of a 2020 1 or 2. Imagine being a contending team and not giving up an early pick for AJ Green. These things shouldn’t happen!

Imagine being the Bengals and just letting AJ walk for a late 2021 3rd round comp pick instead of a 2020 1 or 2. Imagine being a contending team and not giving up an early pick for AJ Green. These things shouldn’t happen!
Truth.  And the team that gets him doesnt even have to resign him.  They can borrow him for a title run for a 1st, and then get a 3rd back as a compensatory pick.  Sure, the drop from (presumably) late 1st to late 3rd is a big drop, but you get the player who can potentially put you over the top, a chance to resign him if you choose to - or get a 3rd round pick instead.  Seems like a no- brainer for The Packers or Saints, and even the Eagles or Seahawks if their front office believes they have a chance to win it all.

Some in this thread have said his fantasy outlook for this year would be better if he stays with CIN, but I disagree.  If the status quo remains after 29 Oct, why would AJG take the field?  He would only be risking reinjury for a winless team that has no plans on resigning him.  Any 2020 suitors already know his skillset, and don't need to see him perform.  They only need to know he is healthy.

I have only read a page in this thread so I don't know if anyone brought this up.  I assume they can use the franchise tag as leverage against Green so they don't have to rush to trade him.  I agree with the sentiment that teams that want to win now could definitely benefit by trading for him. The 49ers just gave up draft choices for Sanders who IMHO is only a slight upgrade to what they already have. If Green is healthy he would be a huge upgrade to a team like that and might change the balance in the NFC (Someone mentioned Seattle which could also be great). I saw people talking about Houston being a possible target. Hopkins and Green would be amazing to see.  Would Green to the Patriots would make them unbeatable (are they already unbeatable). I hope he goes somewhere this year and his talent isn't wasted on a horrible Bengals team.  

I don't see NE trading for two WR.
Probably not, but their window is clearly closing and their WR right now are Edelman, Dorsett, Sanu, and Meyers.  There is no Gronk.  Of course they are capable of winning a super bowl with those WRs, but its not really an imposing group.  They brought in Gordon and AB to have 2 alphas...now they really have none.  It woudl not shock me at all if they paid the 1 to get it done.  Win one more while Brady still has to pay full price at the movies.

I'm not so sure they'd get a 3rd round comp pick for him at this point, depends what he signs for elsewhere.  

Probably not, but their window is clearly closing and their WR right now are Edelman, Dorsett, Sanu, and Meyers.  There is no Gronk.  Of course they are capable of winning a super bowl with those WRs, but its not really an imposing group.  They brought in Gordon and AB to have 2 alphas...now they really have none.  It woudl not shock me at all if they paid the 1 to get it done.  Win one more while Brady still has to pay full price at the movies.
20 year window?

Their window is closing? Really?

Its not?  Their QB is 42 years old.  You think he will play forever?  Or he is easily replaced?  I am not sure if I am being trolled or if you really think that they will be super bowl contenders forever.  Jarrett Stintham is going to replace him and win super bowls?
Bill is 13-6 without Brady

Just sayin

Users who are viewing this thread