What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (5 Viewers)

could've had a real nice day if his toe wasn't offsides on his first TD that was nullified.
Yes a two TD day would have been epic for a first game back. I watched the game yesterday and he looked good, better than 80% which I think he said in an interview.

Anyone concerned he's on limited reps again? Debating him or Julio.
I would feel comfortable starting him and Sanu this week ... hoping for a Thursday blowout. Depending how the game goes (my opponent has West playing too) I will start either Fitz or Martavis Bryant on Sunday.

Not even on the injury report this week, so I wouldn't think limited reps would be an issue. Will be interesting to see if Haden shadows AJ or Sanu. I think Haden has had some success vs AJ in the past..

Not to be "that guy", but I was looking at the FBG top 200 and it has AJ listed as the No. 24 receiver the rest of the way. Health concerns? Is there something I am missing here? Any staff have a comment?

Not to be "that guy", but I was looking at the FBG top 200 and it has AJ listed as the No. 24 receiver the rest of the way. Health concerns? Is there something I am missing here? Any staff have a comment?
Lack of confidence in Dalton, perhaps? Just a guess.

Perhaps, but all of the of the projection guys have Green in their top 8 this week, which would mean that you should be benching him going forward after this.

Perhaps, but all of the of the projection guys have Green in their top 8 this week, which would mean that you should be benching him going forward after this.
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

Only thing I could think of is Dalton's inconsistency and speculation that the toe might hinder him? It sure didn't look like it did last weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Gio will be WR all game - but I do think he's very likely to be WR3 if they go with that kind of set. I mean Cobi Hamilton is WR4 :unsure: and Greg Little is WR :scared:

-QG

I don't think Gio will be WR all game - but I do think he's very likely to be WR3 if they go with that kind of set. I mean Cobi Hamilton is WR4 :unsure: and Greg Little is WR :scared:

-QG
I read a fantasy write-up on Little a couple years ago on RTSports. It was really a positive column, which noted that he has all the tools but struggles with route running and catching the ball. Funniest fantasy football thing I've ever read. He's s WR who can't run routes or catch. What else is there?

-QG
I read a fantasy write-up on Little a couple years ago on RTSports. It was really a positive column, which noted that he has all the tools but struggles with route running and catching the ball. Funniest fantasy football thing I've ever read. He's s WR who can't run routes or catch. What else is there?
Run blocking? :confused: Anyway that might be useful this week.

-QG

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green - WR - Bengals

NFL Network's Kimberly Jones reports the Bengals are preparing for Saturday night's wild-card clash with the Steelers as if A.J. Green will not play.

Green was listed as doubtful after missing practice on Friday. With Green likely out, the Bengals will lean on their running game against the Steelers. Both Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard could get 15-plus touches against Pittsburgh. Mohamed Sanu will also have an expanded role. Sanu had four, 14, nine and nine targets in the four games without Green this season.

Related: Mohamed Sanu, Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill

Source: Josh Kirkendall on Twitter

Jan 3 - 12:03 PM

Anyone else trying to buy on Green in dynasty leagues with this years injuries lowering his value by even a smidge?

ConnSKINS26 said:
Anyone else trying to buy on Green in dynasty leagues with this years injuries lowering his value by even a smidge?
I fortunately have an over abundance of elite WRs in my main dynasty. Having added ODB in this year's draft, I'm considering putting AJG on the block. I'll say I won't consider lowering his price. He was WR14 in my 0.5 PPR on a ppg basis and that includes two 0 games (weeks 2 and 16). Without those his ppg was good for 7th. It was a rough year, but despite it all, when he played, he was a stud.

ConnSKINS26 said:
I fortunately have an over abundance of elite WRs in my main dynasty. Having added ODB in this year's draft, I'm considering putting AJG on the block. I'll say I won't consider lowering his price. He was WR14 in my 0.5 PPR on a ppg basis and that includes two 0 games (weeks 2 and 16). Without those his ppg was good for 7th. It was a rough year, but despite it all, when he played, he was a stud.
Yeah, I'm not saying his value should be lower. It shouldn't, as long as he doesn't suffer another concussion getting out of his car this weekend.

But with his injuries this year, a couple weeks where he got blanked, this concussion...this subtly alters people's views of untouchable players. Just enough where you can maybe buy with an offer that would have been fair before but not enough of an overpay to be accepted.

I'm thinking of tossing around a couple Calvin+ offers. Where the "+" has significant value but isn't in that tier.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Yeah, I'm not saying his value should be lower. It shouldn't, as long as he doesn't suffer another concussion getting out of his car this weekend.But with his injuries this year, a couple weeks where he got blanked, this concussion...this subtly alters people's views of untouchable players. Just enough where you can maybe buy with an offer that would have been fair before but not enough of an overpay to be accepted.

I'm thinking of tossing around a couple Calvin+ offers. Where the "+" has significant value but isn't in that tier.
I get what you are saying. Honestly I've wondered if I'm willing to shop him because of this year. He got hurt in TC last year and now this year...then there's Dalton. Has it subconsciously altered my perception of him ( even if it hasn't, yet, altered my price)?

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green - WR - Bengals

A.J. Green (concussion) has been downgraded to out for the Wild Card Round.

Green didn't practice on Friday and was listed as doubtful. He hasn't been cleared and remains in the concussion protocol. The Bengals will go with a run-heavy approach behind Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard, with Mohamed Sanu taking over as the lead receiver against the Colts. Green's absence is obviously a huge blow to Cincinnati and makes Indianapolis' defense an attractive DFS play.

Jan 3 - 4:01 PM

ConnSKINS26 said:
Yeah, I'm not saying his value should be lower. It shouldn't, as long as he doesn't suffer another concussion getting out of his car this weekend.But with his injuries this year, a couple weeks where he got blanked, this concussion...this subtly alters people's views of untouchable players. Just enough where you can maybe buy with an offer that would have been fair before but not enough of an overpay to be accepted.

I get what you are saying. Honestly I've wondered if I'm willing to shop him because of this year. He got hurt in TC last year and now this year...then there's Dalton. Has it subconsciously altered my perception of him ( even if it hasn't, yet, altered my price)?
I think just the fact that you're thinking about shopping him gives you your answer. He was untouchable, unapproachable even for any owner that wasn't rebuilding with him as their only asset. Now...people are wondering what he'd be worth.

That's the only opening a buyer is likely to get, at least an offer might be taken seriously without taking two top-15 players or something crazy like in the past.

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green led the NFL in yards per route run (YPRR) last season.

Demaryius Thomas, Odell Beckham, Julio Jones and Jordy Nelson rounded out the top-5 in YPRR. Due to toe, bicep and concussion issues, Green missed three 2014 games and was limited in several others. He still went over 1,000 yards for the fourth time in his four-year career and scored six touchdowns. Now Green is healthy and entering a contract year. He's a strong second-round value pick.

Source: ProFootballFocus
Jul 13 - 11:20 AM

I thought playing for a contract was good for fantasy, and players that just recently got paid the big bucks might be ever so slightly less inclined to put 100% effort in. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm glad his ADP is down to where I might get him as my WR 2 In the middle of the second round.

I thought playing for a contract was good for fantasy, and players that just recently got paid the big bucks might be ever so slightly less inclined to put 100% effort in. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm glad his ADP is down to where I might get him as my WR 2 In the middle of the second round.
When you want to make more money. Yes.

But AJ Green is going to get paid based on what he has already done (i.e. he is already sitting at a max amount). Sans an unfortunate injury.

AJ was my WR1 target in my auction league last night and I was pleased to get him at a reasonable price ($35) compared to the other WR1 paid for ahead of him. Julio went for 47, Brown went for 57, Cobb went for 41, Dez went for 48, Calvin for 44. ODB and Thomas were keepers.

I guess that shows that people might be leery of him after last year's injury problems.

AJ was my WR1 target in my auction league last night and I was pleased to get him at a reasonable price ($35) compared to the other WR1 paid for ahead of him. Julio went for 47, Brown went for 57, Cobb went for 41, Dez went for 48, Calvin for 44. OBJ and Thomas were keepers.

I guess that shows that people might be leery of him after last year's injury problems.
I think it has more to do with who is throwing the rock to him.

AJ was my WR1 target in my auction league last night and I was pleased to get him at a reasonable price ($35) compared to the other WR1 paid for ahead of him. Julio went for 47, Brown went for 57, Cobb went for 41, Dez went for 48, Calvin for 44. OBJ and Thomas were keepers.

I think it has more to do with who is throwing the rock to him.
Maybe. Dalton isn't terrible though, it's not like he has Tim Tebow under center.

When you want to make more money. Yes.

But AJ Green is going to get paid based on what he has already done (i.e. he is already sitting at a max amount). Sans an unfortunate injury.
If he slacks off and stinks up the place in a contract year, you think they'll pay him big for being awesome in previous years?

People seem to be a little down on Green this year. He was at the Bryant/Thomas level a year ago. Is it fear that he's not 100%

People seem to be a little down on Green this year. He was at the Bryant/Thomas level a year ago. Is it fear that he's not 100%
Recency bias and the fact that of the elite WRs, he's probably got the worst QB. Dalton is OK, but he could do a lot better.

Recency bias and the fact that of the elite WRs, he's probably got the worst QB. Dalton is OK, but he could do a lot better.
All this talk of how bad Dalton is cracks me up. 2 years ago when he had people to throw to he had 4200 yards and 33 TD's. With the wretched Andy Dalton, Green was able to put up back to back 97 and 98 catch seasons with 1300 and 1400 yards and 11 TD's in each year.

I don't give a rats ### that Dalton can't win a playoff game. I'm not the owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm the owner of the Knights. A pretend football team where I pretend to own the rights and production of AJ Green. And in that pretend league, AJ Green lights it up when healthy even with Andy Dalton throwing the ball to him.

All this talk of how bad Dalton is cracks me up. 2 years ago when he had people to throw to he had 4200 yards and 33 TD's. With the wretched Andy Dalton, Green was able to put up back to back 97 and 98 catch seasons with 1300 and 1400 yards and 11 TD's in each year.

I don't give a rats ### that Dalton can't win a playoff game. I'm not the owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm the owner of the Knights. A pretend football team where I pretend to own the rights and production of AJ Green. And in that pretend league, AJ Green lights it up when healthy even with Andy Dalton throwing the ball to him.
Watch the games and you'll see Dalton leaves points on the field all the time. He misses AJ deep on a regular basis. Hell, there is an entire thread devoted to it. Dalton isn't a bad QB, I've never said that. I've actually defended him in many regards. He doesn't come close to maximizing AJ's talent, though.

Dalton is a problem here, he's not very good or consistent, but I'm not a fan of the coaching staff either. Maybe having Marvin Jones back and Sanu a year better, along with Eifert and a couple good backs.... things should open up nicely. This team should be playoff bound and a force. Issue: coaching staff and Dalton.

Watch the games and you'll see Dalton leaves points on the field all the time. He misses AJ deep on a regular basis. Hell, there is an entire thread devoted to it. Dalton isn't a bad QB, I've never said that. I've actually defended him in many regards. He doesn't come close to maximizing AJ's talent, though.
Who cares, unless you think Dalton is getting benched for AJ McCarron. His point remains. With Dalton "leaving points on the field all the time," AJ Green has put up consecutive seasons of 85-1280-7 (prorated), 98-1426-11, and 97-1350-11. When on the field, AJ Green puts up elite WR1 numbers.

Who cares, unless you think Dalton is getting benched for AJ McCarron. His point remains. With Dalton "leaving points on the field all the time," AJ Green has put up consecutive seasons of 85-1280-7 (prorated), 98-1426-11, and 97-1350-11. When on the field, AJ Green puts up elite WR1 numbers.
Who cares? Drafters care and that's why he isn't being drafted up there with the elite WRs. We were discussing WHY he isn't being drafted there.

Agreed that Dalton is an issue if you're drafting Green hoping for a 125/2000/20 season. Of course, if you're hoping for more along the lines of 100/1500/10, Dalton has shown on every recent occasion that he can help Green get there quite consistently.

As to why FF experts around the world are devaluing Green this year? Uncertainty.

Last year, the first under OC Hue Jackson, AND without Green, they only threw for about 3400 yards. Obviously, a similar gameplan and similar results would cap the hell out of Green's potential. Now, of course, Green IS back as the best weapon in the passing game. And lots of other good passing game weapons are healthy now, too. AND Jackson has stated openly his intention to change the dynamics of the attack. But still, that leaves a lot of uncertainty with regards to HOW they're going to play, and renders Green's historical performances a lot foggier with regards to their relevance.

Seems to me the sane thing to do is stick him in that tier with all the other great, proven receivers...but default him to the end of it. Which, not coincidentally, is pretty much exactly where he's showing up, both in every set of expert rankings, and in drafts. :shrug:

I don't think the FF community at large really nails it all that often. But this seems like a case where they did.

Who cares? Drafters care and that's why he isn't being drafted up there with the elite WRs. We were discussing WHY he isn't being drafted there.
So the claim now is that he's not being drafted as highly because he's put up an average of 95-1350-10 with the QB whom is the reason that he's not being drafted highly? Makes tons of sense. Carry on to wherever this logic train is headed.

Users who are viewing this thread