What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

What is that now? 1-4 in Championship games? 
Yep. And in the four losses, they have allowed 140 points (35 points per game).  Pretty hard to win when your defense plays that poorly in these games.  That said, Rodgers came up small in too many big moments today.  On the flip side, if Adams catches that 1st and goal TD when it was 14-7 and/or that receiver catches the 2, who knows how the game turns out.  Plenty of blame to go around. 

Yep. And in the four losses, they have allowed 140 points (35 points per game).  Pretty hard to win when your defense plays that poorly in these games.  That said, Rodgers came up small in too many big moments today.  On the flip side, if Adams catches that 1st and goal TD when it was 14-7 and/or that receiver catches the 2, who knows how the game turns out.  Plenty of blame to go around. 
Bucs hitting that 50 yard TD pass right before half was a killer. Rodgers certainly didn’t lose this game. The Pack were consistently losing the field position battle and the Bucs played stout on defense. It was an uphill climb all day and the game could have gone either way.

Speaking after Sunday's NFC Championship Game loss, Aaron Rodgers said his future was "uncertain." 

“A lot of guys' futures, they’re uncertain, myself included," was Rodgers' exact quote. Parsing his words, The Athletic's Matt Schneidman concluded that Rodgers "fully sounded like someone who doesn't know if he will be the quarterback (in Green Bay) next season." This is just one reporter's interpretation, of course. Sunday was the latest in a long line of devastating Packers losses for 37-year-old Rodgers, who now has a first-round quarterback behind him on the depth chart. It's possible that wound hasn't healed, or will never heal. It's also possible Rodgers will start talking in the present again about his time in Green Bay after the sting of this defeat wears off. Stay tuned. 

SOURCE: Matt Schneidman on Twitter 

Jan 24, 2021, 7:27 PM ET

He's leaving again?  Please, ignore the drama queens.  The MVP is not going anywhere.  He's not going to "demand" anything of the club other than to keep doing what got them to 26-6 and 2 Conference Champ games in the last two seasons.

Appearing on The Pat McAfee Show Tuesday, Aaron Rodgers said there are "not many absolutes," but that he would likely be back with the Packers in 2021. 

"I don’t think that there’s any reason why I wouldn’t be back, but there’s not many absolutes in this business," was Rodgers' exact quote. "Ultimately my future is not necessarily in my control. That kind of hit me in the moment," Rodgers said of his provocative comments following Sunday's loss. It's not exactly the unequivocal guarantee Packers fans were probably looking for, but it ultimately seems like Sunday will end up much ado about nothing. Trading the MVP would create just $5.5 million in cap space while leaving behind $31.6 million in dead money. Seeing as he was the No. 3 quarterback in 2020, it is doubtful the Packers believe Jordan Love is ready to take over. 

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter 

Jan 26, 2021, 2:12 PM ET

The Los Angeles Times' Sam Farmer reports the Rams "made a run" at Aaron Rodgers, but that the Packers were "adamant" he is not on the block. 

Rodgers had his fun stirring the pot following the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss to the Bucs, but all parties have spent the past week either strongly suggesting — in Rodgers' case — or outright insisting — in the team's case — that he will be back in Green Bay in 2021. This dynamic will never go back to normal following the Pack's first-round selection of Jordan Love, but Rodgers' MVP play in 2020 has rendered any intrigue moot for at least another year. 

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Jan 31, 2021, 7:57 PM ET

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said Aaron Rodgers would be with the team "a long time." 

LaFleur, asked about Rodgers' future with the Packers, said, "Is that a trick question? Absolutely. There's no doubt about it. You're talking about the guy who's going to win the MVP of the league. We're not in this position without him." That sounds like a definitive commitment to the 37-year-old quarterback after he waxed poetic about an uncertain future following Green Bay's loss to Tampa in the NFC Championship Game. The Rams were reportedly shot down last week when they made a run at acquiring Rodgers, with the Packers saying in no uncertain terms that Rodgers was not on the trading block. He'll be back under center for Green Bay in 2021, ideally not horrified by how the team uses their first round draft pick. 

RELATED: 

Matt LaFleur

SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter 

Feb 1, 2021, 10:18 AM ET

I assumed this was from the NFL media equivalent of the Onion.  Rams "made a run" at Aaron Rodgers lol.

I understand the Rams now have the highest and second highest current dead cap spots in the NFL with Cooks and Goff eating almost $45mil, but this can't be serious.  If anything, this was a matter of leaking misinformation.

I assumed this was from the NFL media equivalent of the Onion.  Rams "made a run" at Aaron Rodgers lol.

I understand the Rams now have the highest and second highest current dead cap spots in the NFL with Cooks and Goff eating almost $45mil, but this can't be serious.  If anything, this was a matter of leaking misinformation.
Yeah, made a run:

Rams: "We're interested in trading for Aaron Rodgers"

Gutenkust: "No." Click

Aaron Rodgers has been named the Associated Press' Most Valuable Player for 2020. 

It is the 37-year-old's third MVP award, with the first two coming in 2011 and 2014. The initial story of Rodgers' 2020 was the first-round selection of quarterback Jordan Love. That was followed up by a running back and H-Back, denying Rodgers the passing-game weapon he openly sought. He used the "slight" to fuel the best overall campaign of his Hall-of-Fame career. Rodgers' TD:INT ratio was an unthinkable 48:5, while he completed over 70 percent of his passes for the first time. Rodgers mixed bombs to Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Robert Tonyan with layups to Davante Adams, whom he helped spark to the most receiver scores (18) since 2007. Rodgers briefly hinted following the Packers' devastating NFC Championship Game loss that he might not be back in Green Bay in 2021, but it was quickly debunked by all parties, including Rodgers. He still needs that second receiver. Hopefully he gets one. 

Feb 6, 2021, 10:42 PM ET

Aaron Rodgers said he's unsure if he'll finish his career with the Packers.

"So far, they have definitely been my team," Rodgers told ESPN in a video interview. "I said last year I didn't know if that was actually possible to be able to finish. I still feel like that's kind of where we're at. I don't think a lot of that is in my hands, but we'll kind of see as we go. The team has obviously the power to do what they want. My job is just to play as well as I can. I think there may have been ideas about what certain things meant last year; I just focus on my play."  The Packers drafted Jordan Love in the first round last April, leading to speculation Rodgers could be on his way out. He responded with one of his best seasons to date, posting career highs in completion percentage (70.7), touchdowns (48), and QBR (84.4) en route to his third MVP. Rodgers is signed through 2023, but there continues to be some uncertainty over whether he'll play out his final three years in Green Bay. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 4, 2021, 10:17 AM ET

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst reiterated that Aaron Rodgers is "our quarterback for the foreseeable future."

Green Bay's front office is reportedly "working through things" with Rodgers' contract since he's signed through the 2023 season. Even so, Gutekunst reaffirmed that "Aaron's our guy" and the 38-year-old will be "our quarterback for the foreseeable future (and) excited for the next couple of years." Rodgers may not have the final say in any restructuring since even he's admitted to being unsure if he'll be able to finish his career with the Packers. Meanwhile Jordan Love and his useless rookie contract remain one of the most bewildering and dumbfounding first-round selections in league history.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Apr 26, 2021, 4:19 PM ET

Meanwhile Jordan Love and his useless rookie contract remain one of the most bewildering and dumbfounding first-round selections in league history.
lol - who is this guy, Field Yates and has he been living in a cave all winter?  Those who are paying attention already knew this, but just in case it wasn't already obvious I think even the dimmest bulbs out there in the NFL media must surely by now understand that the worst time to be looking for a QB is when you need one.  Eagles, Bears, Rams, 49ers, Cowboys, Pats - every one of these teams, and likely many more, wishes they had the luxury of drafting their future starting QB before they actually desperately needed a starting QB.

edit - I see now that Field Yates is "Co-Host of the Fantasy Focus Football podcast" - which explains this.  He's not talking about actual football, just the fantasy world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone feel they might move away from Rodgers after this year?  They though enough of Love to move up to get him.

Anyone feel they might move away from Rodgers after this year?  They though enough of Love to move up to get him.
As long as Rodgers is playing at a high level, he's the man - at least through the end of his current contract.  Any decision is also obviously based on how well Love is developing.  Aaron Rodgers himself reportedly looked awful in his first couple seasons with the Packers and had to completely change his delivery before he was ready to start in the NFL.  I don't think the salary or Love's draft number has anything to do with the decision. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the 49ers "reached out" about acquiring Aaron Rodgers on Wednesday but were rebuffed. 

Per Pelissero, "no formal offer was made," and there remains a "zero percent chance" the Packers will be dealing the 2020 MVP. The 49ers seem to be going out of their way to link themselves to non-Mac Jones quarterbacks, so the timing of this leak is not curious. As for the Packers, FOX's Jay Glazer reports "a few teams" have called about Rodgers. If the Pack are not willing to trade their 37-year-old signal caller one year after drafting a first-round quarterback, the process that got them there was extremely poor. 

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Apr 29, 2021, 2:02 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Aaron Rodgers has told "certain members of the organization he does not want to return to the Green Bay Packers."

Schefter reports things have disintegrated to the point that each of team president Mark Murphy, head coach Matt LaFleur and GM Brian Gutekunst have traveled to California to try to get Rodgers to change his mind. Per Schefter, Rodgers "has not budged." Schefter terms the situation "a standoff." It would appear Rodgers' smoldering resentment at the team's Jordan Love pick in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft has not abated. 
https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/7815/aaron-rodgers

Schefter just said Packers are trying to extend his contract

Also Rodgers just got married and might want to go to California

JohnnyU said:
Rodgers gets his way it'll be even sooner.

Montana on KC, Brady on Tampa, Manning on Denver, Favre on NY/Min, Rivers on Indy. Its certainly become more the norm for franchise QBs to leave town, than it has been to retire with the team the were drafted by. 

If Rodgers gets traded what a shift in power in the nfl.  He makes even a mediocre team an instant contender and a good team a fav

If Rodgers gets traded what a shift in power in the nfl.  He makes even a mediocre team an instant contender and a good team a fav
Yep, also probably makes the NFC North the weakest division in the NFL.

Who could realistically make a move for Rodgers? I'd have to imagine he costs a hell of a lot more than the #3 pick did, or than Stafford did. Probably looking at 3 1sts with 1 of them being top-10 this year. Jets? Dolphins? Broncos? 

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports Aaron Rodgers "could be traded this weekend." 

Florio's report is via a "source with knowledge of dynamics." Meanwhile, FOX's Jay Glazer reports he believes Rodgers is "strongly convicted that he doesn’t want to go back to Packers." The Packers are predictably putting on a brave public face and insisting Rodgers will remain with the team for 2021. Piecing together past hour of reports, it would appear the sides were engaged in rocky extension talks that have since broken down, seemingly all the way down. 
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1387857906821967873

Yep, also probably makes the NFC North the weakest division in the NFL.

Who could realistically make a move for Rodgers? I'd have to imagine he costs a hell of a lot more than the #3 pick did, or than Stafford did. Probably looking at 3 1sts with 1 of them being top-10 this year. Jets? Dolphins? Broncos? 
I think he is worth it.  On the right team, and Denver and Miami are probably closest of those three they could easily contend for superbowls the next 4 years

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports Aaron Rodgers' trade "wish list" is the 49ers, Broncos and Raiders. 

Florio reports it's "not necessarily in that order," but that he was hoping the Packers would work something out when the 49ers contacted them earlier this week. Florio also says the report is via an "unimpeachable source." ESPN's Adam Schefter reports teams have reached out this offseason, but that no one has made a formal offer. Schefter's ex-colleague Trey Wingo reports the Packers told Rodgers he would be dealt before walking it back, leading to the current imbroglio.
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1387863372541083651

We will take him in Denver. First this year and first next year is fine. Draft defense, OL and maybe a late round RB and I am happy. 

GB has to at least think about getting something vs him just walking out the door for nothing. 

@wingoz: Sources: The Packers reportedly told Aaron Rodgers they were going to trade him in the off season, then backed off. It’s been a bleep show between them ever since. And within the last week Rodgers told the team.. trade or no trade I’m not coming back. Buckle up folks

are the Packers the worst run franchise in sports if they dont deal him tonight? 

if you're gonna roll w Love, get the guy Pitts at 3 at least

He may be a diva but I don't blame him.  The Packers front office is more concerned about maximizing profits than doing everything possible to put a championship team around Rodgers.  While I admire some fiscal responsibility there is a time to go all in, like maybe in the last few years of a hall of fame QB.  If the Packers aren't going to 100% commit to him.  Trade him and please trade him to a team I can cheer for,.  The Packers front office has had over 25 years of hall of fame QB play.  I realized I may sound like a spoiled Packers fan but I'd imagine an even average front office gets more than 2 Lombardi trophies out of Favre/Rodgers.  But hey how about those NFC North titles...

Users who are viewing this thread