What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (3 Viewers)

So Zeke should play as little as possible for Dallas so he can get to his free agency. Good luck to the Cowboys. Good luck to Zeke. 
This is the perfect scenario for me. Zeke can hold out until week 10. Cowboys get a fresh legged Zeke and only have to pay him for 6 games.

All for this happening for 2 years and dumping him. 

How about this: We get rid of the union. We get rid of the salary cap. We get rid of the draft. Players go to the team willing to give them the most money. The free market, right? The "way it's supposed to work," right?

How much more would go to the players if that were the way it worked?

Ownership has rigged the system in its favor. And if you think that's "the way it's supposed to work," you're not a fan of free markets.
So you’re saying that the people in charge of the sports league that they own that plays a sport they’ve invented has created a systems inside their own game that works for them? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I went Hopkins at 1.05 and have to say I feel relieved to not be worrying about all this (more than I already am as a Cowboys fan).  Zeke went 1.08
Where did Pollard go? If you draft Zeke in the first today you have to get Pollard and pay up early for him IMO.

So you’re saying that the people in charge of the sports league that they own that plays a sport they’ve invented has created a systems inside their own game that works for them? 
If you define "works for them" as "extracts wealth from the players who are essential to the league", yes.

This is the perfect scenario for me. Zeke can hold out until week 10. Cowboys get a fresh legged Zeke and only have to pay him for 6 games.

All for this happening for 2 years and dumping him. 
Zeke probably feels that's a better option for him than playing in whatever deal they are offering him. 

Scheffty reporting that a Zeke deal could get done this weekend:

Here's the news Dallas has wanted: Talks between the Cowboys and RB Ezekiel Elliott are intensifying, with both sides aiming to wrap up a new deal this weekend, league sources tell ESPN.

If you define "works for them" as "extracts wealth from the players who are essential to the league", yes.
Yes, again... again?

That is the point.  This is the whole idea for any business.. pay people to perform roles at levels/amounts that allow the business to remain as profitable as possible. 

You are either trolling or really being obtuse here.

Zeke probably feels that's a better option for him than playing in whatever deal they are offering him. 
It seems a fine line to me.

They can still franchise him after two years, and he will still be a 27/28 year old RB at that point right?

Time isn't his friend imo.

Yes, again... again?

That is the point.  This is the whole idea for any business.. pay people to perform roles at levels/amounts that allow the business to remain as profitable as possible. 

You are either trolling or really being obtuse here.
The point you are missing is that the league is acting in a somewhat monopolistic manner.  A regular business has to play full market value for employees.

Following the Schetfy tweet... What's everyone's gut feeling... Zeke signing and playing week 1, or walking out and coming back in November?

I think he signs. I want him to walk out (for selfish reasons), but I think he signs and will not be the highest paid RB.

Following the Schetfy tweet... What's everyone's gut feeling... Zeke signing and playing week 1, or walking out and coming back in November?

I think he signs. I want him to walk out (for selfish reasons), but I think he signs and will not be the highest paid RB.
I agree. I don't want him signing, either, but I think he will and he plays week one.

Somewhere in the middle. All my drafts are done, but if they weren't, I'm still not taking him in the top-5.

Somewhere in the middle. All my drafts are done, but if they weren't, I'm still not taking him in the top-5.
Is that because of your personal RB ranking, or that you don't think he is playing a full season?

Not sure I’m buying this “talks intensifying” schtick. 

Sounds a lot like the Jones kid leaking something to make Zeke happy after his idiot father ran his mouth on the radio. 

If I were a betting man I’d put the over on Zeke missing 0 games. 

It’s pretty cut & dry - EZE wants more than Gurley got.

If the cowboys offer that, this would be over. So what is there to intensify? 

This update reeks of PR. 

If he signs today, is anyone else bumping him straight to #1? That's where I had him pre hold out. 
I still think it’s a coin flip between him, Barkley, CMC & Kamara. Take who you want to root for. 

My drafts are over & I had 10.8 so I didn’t have a chance at him anyway, but I’m not sure he’s a consensus 1.01

I still think it’s a coin flip between him, Barkley, CMC & Kamara. Take who you want to root for. 

My drafts are over & I had 10.8 so I didn’t have a chance at him anyway, but I’m not sure he’s a consensus 1.01
I have the top pick tomorrow and I would love some "clarity", but it likely won't happen.

You got any sauce for some beautifully smoked ribs?? Or what do you recommend?

PS - preemptive sorry for possible thread hijack

I have pick 4 and was on the fence and this is enough to sway me to take him there. I wouldn’t take him before 4 though unless the contract was a done deal 

Sounds a lot like the Jones kid leaking something to make Zeke happy after his idiot father ran his mouth on the radio. 

This update reeks of PR. 
Not necessarily cut and dry. Could be a negotiating tactic and ultimately he takes a little less

The point you are missing is that the league is acting in a somewhat monopolistic manner.  A regular business has to play full market value for employees.
Am I?

Again.

The system is rigged in favor of the owners.  They are, after all, the owners.

That is literally the point. That is how it is supposed to work.

I have no idea how you would ever be under the impression that NFL players are in a free market.. they are not. The NFL is their only real option, it is for all intents a monopoly.  They will forever be at the mercy of what they can get the owners to agree to.

eta - I guess they could go to canada or the xfl?
I would also argue many businesses pay far less than "full" market value, or that "full" market value is depressed by the industry those businesses are in.. but that is besides the point. 

This update reeks of PR. 
There were no talks before.  By definition, one call and they are "intensifying"... I think Jones will do something similar to what Arthur Blanks did for Julio last year.  Sometimes you have to wait to move salary. 

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Here's the news Dallas has wanted: Talks between the Cowboys and RB Ezekiel Elliott are intensifying, with both sides aiming to wrap up a new deal this weekend, league sources tell ESPN.

11:33 AM · Aug 31, 2019·Twitter Web App
Reading this over and over I can't decide if it is actually saying anything at all.

Is that because of your personal RB ranking, or that you don't think he is playing a full season?
I had Zeke #2 before all this. This report isn't definitive enough to make me think he's a lock to be back for week 1, and I'm not sure the difference between him and the other players at that spot is enough to take on unnecessary risk.

Could be as simple as Jerry trying to get his team the top headline over Seattle/Clowney.
Yeah, or baby Jones trying to distract from Jerry vomiting all over himself on every radio show he’s called in to. Dude keeps stepping on his Richard (swear filter. lol) 

Rove! said:
The employees agreed to a CBA which spelled out how they were going to be paid. They have had the option and will have it again to strike to change how they get paid. They have elected not to do that thus far.

KingPrawn said:
Cowboys cut like 4 RBs today. I think that's gotta be a good sign
Maybe, maybe not. Could just mean they feel Olawale can play RB if need be. Or they were really unimpressed with those guys. Dallas kept less WR's than most teams do, and more OL than most teams do.

Maybe, maybe not. Could just mean they feel Olawale can play RB if need be. Or they were really unimpressed with those guys. Dallas kept less WR's than most teams do, and more OL than most teams do.
Agree. The Chargers only kept Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Troymain Pope, and FB Watt with Gordon holding out. They cut at least 2 RBs who seem to have good talent/potential. I think that is better than the Cowboys' group, but not because they kept a 3rd RB in Pope.

Not sure what Charles Robinson’s track record is, but this tweet doesn’t make me feel terrible as a Zeke owner.

The #Cowboys are close to completing a contract extension with running back Ezekiel Elliott. I’m reporting this. Not speculating it.

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys were "frustrated" by their last exchange with holdout RB Ezekiel Elliott.

After weeks of contentious contract talks, it looked like the two sides were on the cusp of a breakthrough this weekend, though Dallas came away disappointed following Sunday's exchange with Elliott's camp. Per Robinson, the Cowboys had expected "more compromise" from Zeke after the momentum built Saturday. Sunday's setback doesn't necessarily erase the progress made this weekend, though with only six days until their opener against the Giants, time is no longer on the Cowboys' side. It's doubtful the two-time rushing champ will settle for anything less than Todd Gurley's industry-leading $15 million annual salary. If Zeke (who is reportedly still in Cabo) and the Cowboys can't close the gap before Week 1, workhorse duties will fall with fourth-round rookie Tony Pollard.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Sep 2, 2019, 8:17 AM ET

Oy vey. Welp, it's the 11th hour for me. Have to make a decision in 2 hours on whether to keep this guy or Michel. Both are in their last season of their contracts in this league. It seems more "experts" think this will get done soon, but I'm skeptical. I'll probably end up holding my nose and keep him. This hasn't been a fun summer.

Jane Slater @SlaterNFL

A source informed tells me that while talks with #Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott continued late Sunday the deal is still “not close”. When I asked what’s holding it up the answer was the same as last month “everything”.

the reporting on this particular situation has been one of the crazier. i can't remember how many times they said a deal was coming or close. 

this one was funny though that the Cowboys are now frustrated with the situation. what did they think would happen? all of a sudden Zeke would just say he was joking the whole time?

Users who are viewing this thread