What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

This Juve-Napoli game has phenomenal atmosphere. Supporting Napoli as they represent the romantic southern Italian futbol vs those cynical, northern conglomerates. This is actually a thing in Italy; both politically & sporting wise. The South is looked down upon as working class philistines, with a flair for the dramatic, instead of the pragmatic. #### the Norde, pezzo Di merda.
cool thing about this Napoli squad is that half of their lineup was brought in with the Cavani haul.
Cavani is still a legend at Napoli; him & Lavezzi were a phenomenal tandem there. Higuain HAS to come up big here (Napoli has only won 2 Scudetti in their history, both under Maradona)...he still bears the albatross from his WC & Copa America failures for Argentina, as well as a PK miss against Lazio last yr that cost Napoli CL qualification. Gonzalo & Insigne look tepid & intimidated already, considering how confident & decisive they've played all year. Interesting to see how Sarri(Napoli's coach) adjusts at HT; they need to tighten that MF up, or add another body for width.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Juve-Napoli game has phenomenal atmosphere. Supporting Napoli as they represent the romantic southern Italian futbol vs those cynical, northern conglomerates. This is actually a thing in Italy; both politically & sporting wise. The South is looked down upon as working class philistines, with a flair for the dramatic, instead of the pragmatic. #### the Norde, pezzo Di merda.
cool thing about this Napoli squad is that half of their lineup was brought in with the Cavani haul.
Cavani is still a legend at Napoli; him & Lavezzi were a phenomenal tandem there. Higuain HAS to come up big here (Napoli has only won 2 Scudetti in their history, both under Maradona)...he still bears the albatross from his WC & Copa America failures for Argentina,..
Which is way he still draws my ire and I just can't root for Napoli.

Cavani is still a legend at Napoli; him & Lavezzi were a phenomenal tandem there. Higuain HAS to come up big here (Napoli has only won 2 Scudetti in their history, both under Maradona)...he still bears the albatross from his WC & Copa America failures for Argentina,..
:goodposting:

Plus, if he does well enough, he might, somehow, sneak his way on to the national team for the Copa America this summer to finish off a hat-trick of trophy-costing epic misses.

I hate his smugness & aloofness too...but Napoli has a strong history with Argentina players, not to mention Argentina served as an asylum for many Italian expatriates in the 20th century, especially post-WWII; a "Little Italy", if you will. Unfortunately, they got most of the good players, the "fantatistas", because most emigrants were from the south. Embrace Napoli, their nicknames/colors are even similar...Higuain looks like a Spanish/English byproduct anyway (NTTAWWT).

I hate his smugness & aloofness too...but Napoli has a strong history with Argentina players, not to mention Argentina served as an asylum for many Italian expatriates in the 20th century, especially post-WWII; a "Little Italy", if you will. Unfortunately, they got most of the good players, the "fantatistas", because most emigrants were from the south. Embrace Napoli, their nicknames/colors are even similar...Higuain looks like a Spanish/English byproduct anyway (NTTAWWT).
Maradonna provocation before the semi final in Napoli at Italia '90 - essentially saying Neapolitans should support him and Argentina because Italy will treat them like foreigners the other 364 days of the year, and many in the crowd that day reportedly agreed. Baggio made his penalty, but two others missed and Argentina went through to the final against Germany.

We've talked about Italy threatening to pass England in the league coefficients but I just noticed that seventh place Russia trails France and Portugal by less than a point. I guess PSG will rescue the frogs but Benfica, Sporting, Porto and Braga better not crap the bed or they could lose a spot.

:europachubby:

couple of off field tidbits for Red Bull

The Red Bulls recently signed a multi-year television deal with MSG Networks to broadcast games. The Red Bulls will receive a revenue stream from this deal and according to Steve Cangialosi, 2015 MSG viewing numbers for games were more than double what they were in 2014.

The Red Bulls are currently in negotiation to sell the stadium naming rights. When the naming rights are sold, de Grandpre said the stadium name will be clearly displayed on the outside of the arena so that it is easily recognizable.

He's really saying this wasn't controversial? Both the penalty and the red were debatable.
I didn't get the yellow on top of the PK. Seemed like a borderline call and the yellow was kind of piling on
Yellow was for the mistimed tackle during the buildup, not the penalty challenge. Atkinson had several tough decisions to make so I won't disparage him but the result was most likely impacted by the red.

He's really saying this wasn't controversial? Both the penalty and the red were debatable.
I didn't get the yellow on top of the PK. Seemed like a borderline call and the yellow was kind of piling on
Yellow was for the mistimed tackle during the buildup, not the penalty challenge. Atkinson had several tough decisions to make so I won't disparage him but the result was most likely impacted by the red.
Three calls on that sequence, foul on Huth, over the back, that was not called, foul on Arsenal at midfield where Atkinson played advantage, and later issued the card, and then the pen.

Sorry to see Villa in such a shambles...had to look to be sure but they've been in the top flight for almost 30 years and played every season of the EPL. Been a fixture since I started watching.

Add MLS to the list of leagues raided by China during this window. Obafemi Martins sold by Seattle to Shanghai Shenhua

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/35573893
I saw that rumor the other day but was not sure what to make of it. I heard it was a $4m transfer which is the same amount I think Seattle paid to get him. He will be playing with Demba Ba there.

As a US fan that is really good news for Jordan Morris as it should open up a ton of minutes now.

Seattle is not the type to sit on money either so I expect that will be spent this summer on a new DP.

Add MLS to the list of leagues raided by China during this window. Obafemi Martins sold by Seattle to Shanghai Shenhua

I saw that rumor the other day but was not sure what to make of it. I heard it was a $4m transfer which is the same amount I think Seattle paid to get him. He will be playing with Demba Ba there.

As a US fan that is really good news for Jordan Morris as it should open up a ton of minutes now.

Seattle is not the type to sit on money either so I expect that will be spent this summer on a new DP.
Rumors are they got no allocation money on the sale, just the freed up DP slot and salary space. Not totally sure why- did the league pay for his transfer fee?

Rumors are they got no allocation money on the sale, just the freed up DP slot and salary space. Not totally sure why- did the league pay for his transfer fee?
It is MLS so who the hell knows what happened.

For a league that claims it wants to be more transparent, they hold on to the allocation money/transfer fee information like it could sink the league if they ever released it.

Yeah... as bad a call as you'll see.

But Spurs look so much more solid than they used to. Looking forward to Spurs v Arsenal. Pretty happy if any of the top three finish it off. Been awhile since someone other than United, City or Chelsea won it.

ETA: 11 years -- Arsenal, 2004. Arsenal also finished 1st or 2nd eight years in a row from 1998 - 2005.

Fraser Forster has kept six successive clean sheets for Southampton, who have stormed into the top six and are just one point behind Manchester United. What a story,considering he was meant to be out for the season.

No idea what Celta Vigo did to Messi, but he's getting his back right now.

Dribbled through six players to feed Neymar whose shot lingered on the line for Suarez to tap in.

Then ghosts straight through a defender in the area to draw the PK.

Then, instead of shooting, he lays the PK off for Suarez to get the hat trick.

Dribbled through six players to feed Neymar whose shot lingered on the line for Suarez to tap in.

Saw that PK; I didn't know that was legal, to pass off like that...

I've never seen that before. Worked brilliantly.

Saw that PK; I didn't know that was legal, to pass off like that...
Spanish announcers (I've given up on Ray) said a PK is basically an indirect free kick, but with the other players confined outside the box until the ball is touched.

I've never seen that before. Worked brilliantly.
I never have seen it either.

Barca are the closet thing to the Harlem Globetrotters that we have in the sport :)

That Barça / Celta game escalated quickly. I was hoping for some dropped points, but all I got was another Barça shredding of a defense in the second half.

A two-man penalty, or "tap" penalty, occurs when the penalty-taker, instead of shooting to score a goal, taps the ball slightly forward so that a team-mate can run on to it. The team-mate, like all other players, must be at least ten yards from the penalty mark when the ball is initially kicked. This strategy depends on the element of surprise, so that the team-mate can reach the ball ahead of any defenders. The first recorded two-man penalty was taken by Rik Coppens and André Piters in the World Cup Qualifying match Belgium v Iceland on 5 June 1957. Arsenal players Thierry Henry and Robert Pirès famously failed in an attempt at a similar penalty in 2005, during a Premier League match against Manchester City at Highbury. Pirès ran in to take the kick, attempted to pass to the onrushing Henry, but miskicked; as he had touched the ball (but barely moved it), he could not touch it again, and City defender Sylvain Distin reached the ball before Henry could

Users who are viewing this thread