Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

4 minutes ago, shader said:

The agony of defeat.  See you guys in a few weeks. :(

I've already forgotten the Newcastle debacle.  

Silly season in full swing.  Everyone is going to spend £100 M+ and win it all next season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Three years straight of Spanish double European champions.

Yeah, but can Celta Vigo beat Norwich? That's what's really important. 

Has any other league done this even two years in a row? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

5 out of the last 10 to Sevilla.  8 of 13 for Spain as a whole.  Sevilla has only won one SuperCup though.

Sucks for Sevilla that the Copa Del Rey final is scheduled for this Sunday.  

Anyone in here live down in Orange County? I'm going to be down there this weekend and I'm trying to decide on where to watch the FA cup final at. Kilarney's in HB is currently what I'm thinking unless anyone knows of a better place.

8 hours ago, Sebowski said:
17 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Has any other league done this even two years in a row? 

Here's the closest things I can find.
74 Bayern won European Cup, and Magdeburg won the Cup Winners Cup
75 Bayern won European Cup and Mönchengladbach won the UEFA Cup

89 AC Milan won European Cup and Napoli won the UEFA Cup
90 AC Milan won European Cup, Sampdoria won Cup Winners Cup, and Juventus won UEFA Cup

93 Parma won Cup Winners Cup and Juventus won EUFA Cup
94 AC Milan won Champions League and Inter won UEFA Cup

There are years where a country won more than one cup, but these are the only mulit year runs.

The European Cup became the Champions League in 1992.
The Cup Winners Cup went away after 1999.
The UEFA Cup became Europa Leage after 2011.
:nerd:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mjolnirs said:

The European Cup became the Champions League in 1992.
The Cup Winners Cup went away after 1999.
The UEFA Cup became Europa Leage after 2011.
:nerd:

Great stats!

just a quick note for historical purposes: The Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup both were combined and turned into the Europa League.  That is why every domestic cup winner who does not qualify for the Champions League gets in the Europa League.

• Like 2

I was looking at the pots for next season's CL draw and I think that Spurs are kinda screwed.  Since the three top Spanish teams cannot be in the same group, nor can Spurs be in the same group as City, Arsenal, or LC.

Pot 1: (Atlético or Real), Barça, Bayern, Juve, Benfica, PSG, (CSKA or Rostov), LC

Pot 2: (Atlético or Real), Sevilla, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Porto, Napoli, Arsenal, City

Pot 3: Villarreal, Basel, Donetsk, Dynamo Kiev, Lyon, Ajax, PSV, Spurs

Pot 4: A bunch of possibilities

So, I think that Spurs have a pretty good chance to land a tough Pot 1 team (only the Russian team is mediocre, as Benfica gave a good run to Bayern last year), plus a 50% chance to land a very tough Pot 2 opponent.  Either of Real or Atleti is not a good draw, nor Dortmund or Napoli.  Can't draw Arsenal or City.  Tough to be a Pot 3 team, although Atlético was a Pot 3 team this season.

Spanish teams certainly benefit from the not being in the same Group as another Spanish team.

• Like 1

Yeah, Spurs are going to have to rely on a winnable Pot 2 team to advance to the knockout stage.

Rumors are starting to heat up that they will sign Batshuayi in the next week or so - Marseille still has a game to play, but hopefully the deal can get wrapped up soon.  Spurs will still need more reinforcements ...

9 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I was looking at the pots for next season's CL draw and I think that Spurs are kinda screwed.  Since the three top Spanish teams cannot be in the same group, nor can Spurs be in the same group as City, Arsenal, or LC.

Pot 1: (Atlético or Real), Barça, Bayern, Juve, Benfica, PSG, (CSKA or Rostov), LC

Pot 2: (Atlético or Real), Sevilla, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Porto, Napoli, Arsenal, City

So, I think that Spurs have a pretty good chance to land a tough Pot 1 team (only the Russian team is mediocre, as Benfica gave a good run to Bayern last year), plus a 50% chance to land a very tough Pot 2 opponent.  Either of Real or Atleti is not a good draw, nor Dortmund or Napoli.  Can't draw Arsenal or City.  Tough to be a Pot 3 team, although Atlético was a Pot 3 team this season.

Spanish teams certainly benefit from the not being in the same Group as another Spanish team.

Roma have to play in the preliminary playoff... Which could be Man City(for the 3rd straight year), but not sure which Spanish team it could potentially be...would it be the 4th place team?

13 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

The reverse is also true though.  Any group that lands Spurs is going to feel very unlucky since they are arguably the best from Pot 3.  Spurs could very easily determine a group of death.

22 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Watching Frankfurt v Nuremberg. If the Prem did it like this it would've been Newcastle v Brighton to stay up/be promoted. Which might have been fun.

Not nearly as much fun as having Newcastle relegated.

• Like 3