What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Varane to United.  Business getting done

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Raphaël Varane to Manchester United, here we go! #MUFC Agreement almost done between Man Utd and Real Madrid, just final details to be completed and then paperworks time. It’s a “matter of hours or days”. Here-we-go. Varane has a total agreement on personal terms too.

Gianluca Di Marzio

@DiMarzio

#Varane @ManUtd deal done: €50M plus bonus to @realmadrid, medicals in #Manchester in two days

@SkySports@SkySport

Up next, a CDM then sell!

ESPN+ a la carte going up 40% to 6.99 a month. They really want you to buy the disney Hulu bundle
Yeah I need to fix my whole ESPN sub. I might cancel it right before next billing session and redo the whole thing. Unless there's an easier way as I have all 3 now (I didn't when it first came out though) 

OH WAYNE!

Wayne Rooney went in for a 50-50 challenge with Jason Knight in training, injuring the Derby County midfielder's ankle and ruling him out for up to three months; Knight is one of nine senior players registered with the club, two of which are goalkeepers

Wayne Rooney's nightmarish pre-season took another negative turn after it emerged it was the Derby manager himself who was responsible for the ankle injury which ruled midfielder Jason Knight out for up to three months.

Mex up 2-0 v SA at the half

Japan up 2-0 v FR at the half as well.
🇨🇮 and Ivory Coast knocks out Germany via a 1-1 draw earlier - I.C. went up 1-nil about the 65' mark, Germans tied about 5 minutes later, but the Ivory boys held on! 🇨🇮

... btw, EPL underway in a couple weeks - when we catching a fixture & some cocktails?

where the Liverpool bars at? 😁

🇨🇮 and Ivory Coast knocks out Germany via a 1-1 draw earlier - I.C. went up 1-nil about the 65' mark, Germans tied about 5 minutes later, but the Ivory boys held on! 🇨🇮

... btw, EPL underway in a couple weeks - when we catching a fixture & some cocktails?

Merseyside

Ok so according to the radio guys (the football show), Barca has not yet registered Depay, Aguero, Garcia or Messi since they have to get under the La Liga salary cap.  They need to trim half their payroll.  Depay has already taken a pay cut since he signed his contract.

La Liga has a salary cap that is based on income vs debt for the previous year and sets their payroll cap.  Seems to be an issue for Real Madrid and Barca but no one else in La Liga.  Moving Griezmann would be a huge help to this.  Not yet in LEEDS type trouble, but Barca is having issues.

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Another soccer property secured by CBS/Paramount+: At least 85 matches annually through 2024-2025 from Scottish Premiership, second division and cup.

Ok so according to the radio guys (the football show), Barca has not yet registered Depay, Aguero, Garcia or Messi since they have to get under the La Liga salary cap.  They need to trim half their payroll.  Depay has already taken a pay cut since he signed his contract.

La Liga has a salary cap that is based on income vs debt for the previous year and sets their payroll cap.  Seems to be an issue for Real Madrid and Barca but no one else in La Liga.  Moving Griezmann would be a huge help to this.  Not yet in LEEDS type trouble, but Barca is having issues.
Griez helps moving but their biggest issue is similar to Juventus issues. High wage players who are older and not performing who won't fetch great transfer fees and most don't want. It's why theres rumors like Coutinho and ISCO moving away from their clubs for barely 20M euros. 

Though this isn't a huge deal now because La Liga and these clubs will workout some cutthroat deal as the league won't go forward without the likes of Messi involved. Meanwhile if it was any other club it'd be screw you 

Hopefully no where close by 

Hopefully no where close by 

what's not to love about Liverpool & the 'pudlians?

starting to think they ain't too popular 'round here ...

i mean, ya got the Beatles, Merseybeat, Echo & the Bunnymen, heavy Irish population, Sporty Spice ... and Mo Salah. 

how can anyone dislike lil' Mo?

hell, i'd pay to watch that cat play, anytime/anywhere. 

⚽️ SCOUSE IN THE HOUSE ⚽

:popcorn:

So pretty much between Peacock, Paramount and ESPN+, there will be no shortage of soccer available to watch.

What a time to be a fan!
As a Calcio fan myself and others have talked online and in person Francescocalcio is a great follow for anyone who wants more history of the league and was an OG of Matteo Bonetti and David Amoyal's pod CalcioCast back when they started. Anyway he has some great history of Italian soccer and other things Italy to the present. Recently the discussion of where to watch soccer came up and how people younger than us (Amoyal,Bonnetti, Francesco, Myself all of similar age in the our 30s) remember when it was really hard to find A MATCH FOR SERIA A to watch. Eventually FoxSports acquired SERIE A rights but it was only for a few yrs till BEINSPORT,  which Most TV providers only carried it on HD package ,so if you had standard and couldn't afford it you were SOL. That meant finding some shady freestreams if you could. I had to take off work just so I could find a free stream to watch most times. 

Champions and Europa league unless you were playing one of the top clubs you were watching ManU, Real Madrid, Bayern or PSG on cable and your hope was they would have a tape delay version of the match you wanted airing later if you were lucky. 

Over the last 4-5 yrs UEFA you can now stream every match. With the Digital age and these streaming networks you can find anything. For us Calcio fans ESPN+ was great especially us in SERIE A we can watch any match we wanted. Peacock won't be much different. The point is back when we all got into soccer you were lucky if there was 1 match on TV and it was a match of a club you liked. Even so you still watched but it wasn't as fun. 

Now if I'm working and the match is on and it's not a big one I can stream it at work within discretion of corse. I'm sure for other league fans it's similar but English fans not in England do not understand the struggle many of us faced up to a few ys ago. I saw a tweet yesterday that sums it up pretty well. The EPL isn't the best league, its just the league that's marketed the best so many casual fans think it's the best league because of how well it's marketed. 

Griez helps moving but their biggest issue is similar to Juventus issues. High wage players who are older and not performing who won't fetch great transfer fees and most don't want. It's why theres rumors like Coutinho and ISCO moving away from their clubs for barely 20M euros. 

Though this isn't a huge deal now because La Liga and these clubs will workout some cutthroat deal as the league won't go forward without the likes of Messi involved. Meanwhile if it was any other club it'd be screw you 
Correct.  High wage players plus no fans in last year's stands cause issues.  Messi's wages the last few years are a real problem for Barca.  His new salary may help going forward, but the team's finances are in such a mess now, its going to take a lot to get there.

The transfer fee also doesn't help this year's cap, but will help next year's cap formula.

And yes, La Liga will find a way to help so Messi can continue to play for Barca.

what's not to love about Liverpool & the 'pudlians?

starting to think they ain't too popular 'round here ...

i mean, ya got the Beatles, Merseybeat, Echo & the Bunnymen, heavy Irish population, Sporty Spice ... and Mo Salah. 

how can anyone dislike lil' Mo?

hell, i'd pay to watch that cat play, anytime/anywhere. 

⚽️ SCOUSE IN THE HOUSE ⚽

:popcorn:
BMav is a United Supporter and I'm a Newcastle. Both our clubs hate Liverpool. Newcastle a few yrs had  "pool's old Manager Rafa Benitez who too this day is our best manager of the last decade plus but had a falling out with our cheap owner and left. We also had a few players who ended up leaving us go to them as well. 

Correct.  High wage players plus no fans in last year's stands cause issues.  Messi's wages the last few years are a real problem for Barca.  His new salary may help going forward, but the team's finances are in such a mess now, its going to take a lot to get there.

The transfer fee also doesn't help this year's cap, but will help next year's cap formula.

And yes, La Liga will find a way to help so Messi can continue to play for Barca.
It's not just the no fans though. This was a problem for awhile. Many pudents on social media were calling Barca to become the next Milan of the  2010s. Past their prime, going for bossman's, not being able to afford players do to not getting far enough in CCL. This isn't to say Barca won't make CCL or win a league but it now becomes more important for them to do so. Milan's biggest problem was not getting enough revenue do to poor on pitch performance aka No CCL, or winning the league. Milan never produced enough youth to take over for their aging stars. Barca has a similar problem though better academy. However it might take awhile for Barca to get rid of the deadweight 

Now if I'm working and the match is on and it's not a big one I can stream it at work within discretion of corse. I'm sure for other league fans it's similar but English fans not in England do not understand the struggle many of us faced up to a few ys ago. I saw a tweet yesterday that sums it up pretty well. The EPL isn't the best league, its just the league that's marketed the best so many casual fans think it's the best league because of how well it's marketed. 
Marketing is huge, but also the fact that it appears that more then 2 teams have a chance to win the league in any given year.  This last year doesn't back that up with several favorites not winning, but in most years I think fans go in knowing PSG, Barca or RM, Bayern, Juve are all going to win the league.  EPL does give the illusion that City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool could all win the league and then teases you for a few years with Spurs or Leicester challenging.

BMav is a United Supporter and I'm a Newcastle. Both our clubs hate Liverpool. Newcastle a few yrs had  "pool's old Manager Rafa Benitez who too this day is our best manager of the last decade plus but had a falling out with our cheap owner and left. We also had a few players who ended up leaving us go to them as well. 
:goodposting:

There is a sandwich shop near my work, we hit it up pretty much weekly.  Liverpool scarves and shirts on the walls.  I feel dirty going in there but they make good food.

Rafa moving to Everton is a big deal too.  Merseyside Derby is going to be huge.

It's not just the no fans though. This was a problem for awhile. Many pudents on social media were calling Barca to become the next Milan of the  2010s. Past their prime, going for bossman's, not being able to afford players do to not getting far enough in CCL. This isn't to say Barca won't make CCL or win a league but it now becomes more important for them to do so. Milan's biggest problem was not getting enough revenue do to poor on pitch performance aka No CCL, or winning the league. Milan never produced enough youth to take over for their aging stars. Barca has a similar problem though better academy. However it might take awhile for Barca to get rid of the deadweight 
From the discussion on the radio this morning this has been coming for 4-6 years and its just now become a big deal.  The Neymar sale probably helped but Couhtino, Greizemann and the Messi money have finally done it.  No one thinks they go into admin like LEEDS did, but they are worried about having to sell half the team to get under the cap.

The positive part is that, aside from Messi, all the wage issues are for players that don't have a place in the team anyways. They're basically going to end up canceling the contract of players like Umtiti and Pjanic because nobody else will sign them. Most veterans have already agreed to a massive paycut.

Outside the rampant corruption of Bartomeu's, the biggest problem is that big dollar signings like Coutinho, Dembele, and Griezmann just haven't worked out at all. You just cannot whiff with that much in transfer money and wages leading into a global pandemic.

At the same, Barcelona has very strong talent coming out of the youth side. Fati, Pedri, Araujo, and Mingueza all made a big mark on the team in the last year. There are more incoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Union rumors 

Anthony Fontana signs with an Agency in Italy that GOAT Francesco Totti is a Part of. 

Anthony Fontana signs with Francesco Totti Agency in Italy

Matheus Alvarenga de Oliveira of Corinthians has been brought in on Loan to the Union as another striker. 

@tombogert

Sources: The Philadelphia Union are finalizing deals to acquire Brazilian forward Matheus Davo from Corinthians and Venezuelan midfielder Jesus Bueno from Deportivo Lara in separate moves. Davo will be on loan w/ a purchase option, Bueno permanent.

Some interesting info in regards to Davo and another Union target 

Union looking to raid South America for reinforcements

August 5 is end of summer MLS transfer window. If signed,both @PhilaUnion targets (Jesus Bueno & Matheus Davo) qualify for U22 Initiative spots on senior roster. These spots allow acquisition $ to be amortized over contract life & provide a higher cut more of any transfer profits

As someone who spent the better part of two months in 2009/2010 in a hotel on Liverpool St. in London right next to a scouser pub on the same street, I'm going to have say no to this one.  They reminded me of nothing so much as Red Sox fans, so the eventual acquisition seemed fitting.
Never made that comparison before but it makes sense in terms of Americans 

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Goal! Gio Reyna scores in a preseason friendly for Borussia Dortmund to take a 1-0 lead on Bologna in the 24th minute.
Lineup looks like he's a right wing. As long as he's seeing time there or at the 10, I'm happy.

Scratch that...as long as he's seeing time I'm happy.

Not a soccer guy.  Can anyone who watched the US Women's game against Netherlands explain to me why Alex Morgan's goal late in the game didn't count?  Something about making an attempt on the ball or something? :confused:

Not a soccer guy.  Can anyone who watched the US Women's game against Netherlands explain to me why Alex Morgan's goal late in the game didn't count?  Something about making an attempt on the ball or something? :confused:
Just watched a clip...Looked like she was offsides on the original pass.

👍

I only vaguely understand the offside rule, then the announcers made it sound like it was something else.  
I just rewatched. She was offsides on the initial pass. They may have talked about the defender getting a touch which would otherwise take away the offsides, but imo, the defender isn't making that touch if Morgan isn't there continuing her run...which makes Morgan still offsides. It's a confusing rule and sometimes more art than science.

I just rewatched. She was offsides on the initial pass. They may have talked about the defender getting a touch which would otherwise take away the offsides, but imo, the defender isn't making that touch if Morgan isn't there continuing her run...which makes Morgan still offsides. It's a confusing rule and sometimes more art than science.
Thanks for the extra info.  

Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

=============

Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive Paul Barber:

“I can honestly say that my time in MLS was constantly punctuated with requests from MLS owners and other MLS team executives, to talk them through how promotion and relegation worked."

“They were intrigued by it, they were fascinated by it, they were excited by it, but whenever it came to anything like a proposal for the same thing to happen in MLS, the conversation just stopped."

Users who are viewing this thread