What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

@MAC_32 how's your back? 

I'm going to see where I'm at this weekend and try a short run. Today is the first day this week where my mobility feels mostly back- not every movement is causing pain or seizing up. Definitely trending in the right, just don't want any setbacks.

Good run this morning.  8C/46F.  Waxing gibbous moon.  Light wind, which was a tailwind to start, and a headwind to finish (my favourite combo).  Dry sidewalks.

Kept a decent pace for the first 11K, then coincidentally another runner and I crossed paths (literally, I had to slow down so that we didn't collide) and then (again, coincidentally) ran the same route for the last 0.5km of my run.  He was running maybe 20s/km faster than me, but of course I had to pick up the pace to stay a few steps in front of him.

So rare to see another runner so early in the morning for me, and even more rare to run the same route for more than a few steps.  But having another runner to pace by is cool.  I wonder how much better I would train if I always had a rabbit with me to push me a bit.

@MAC_32 how's your back? 

I'm going to see where I'm at this weekend and try a short run. Today is the first day this week where my mobility feels mostly back- not every movement is causing pain or seizing up. Definitely trending in the right, just don't want any setbacks.
90% but most importantly running yesterday didn't make it worse. Gonna try some pick-ups today and see how it responds. What you're describing is about how I felt Monday. Expect to feel antsy tomorrow.

90% but most importantly running yesterday didn't make it worse. Gonna try some pick-ups today and see how it responds. What you're describing is about how I felt Monday. Expect to feel antsy tomorrow.
With the temps in the 40-50s, I've been champing at the bit. But I still am walking awkwardly, so I'm not doing anything until I can walk normally again. Rate of progression feels like Sat or Sun will have me ready for an easy run.

Also just a huge reminder that running or no, I need to do core work.

Welp.  I tried to do a Peloton strength workout for runners on Tuesday evening.  And I know the exact exercise I did which aggravated the glute bad....again.

I feel like I just went backwards about 6 months.  I'm gonna have to buckle up and get back to PT.  This sucks.
####.

Sorry gb. 

Welp.  I tried to do a Peloton strength workout for runners on Tuesday evening.  And I know the exact exercise I did which aggravated the glute bad....again.

I feel like I just went backwards about 6 months.  I'm gonna have to buckle up and get back to PT.  This sucks.
My glute has been grumpy but I'm just resigned to running through it.  What exercise was the culprit, if you don't mind me asking?

And it's interesting...the wife is very eager to jump to my running being the cause of my back going out. "Running is terrible for your back". I'll admit the running on ice didn't help things...but it was definitely the sledding on Sat the tweaked it, and the run on Sun that finished it. Plus the whole reaching for a bagel thing after the run. If anything, running has been better for my back...but again, without core work, I'll continue to be prone to this kind of random tweaking.

My glute has been grumpy but I'm just resigned to running through it.  What exercise was the culprit, if you don't mind me asking?
If you look at the picture from my Strava (Blind Ref) of 2/23 at 8:30 p.m. workout, the guy is in a pose and he had us jumping from that pose and simply switching legs (so the other leg was in front).  We had to just keep hopping back and forth so the left was in front and then the right and then the left and then right, etc.  It was hard but I didn't think it would screw up my glute..never even crossed my mind.  I could barely walk the next day and its simply has been bad ever since.

I clearly overdid it and so frustrated right now.  I can't go through another lost summer.  I'll go crazy.

Good run this morning.  8C/46F.  Waxing gibbous moon.  Light wind, which was a tailwind to start, and a headwind to finish (my favourite combo).  Dry sidewalks.

Kept a decent pace for the first 11K, then coincidentally another runner and I crossed paths (literally, I had to slow down so that we didn't collide) and then (again, coincidentally) ran the same route for the last 0.5km of my run.  He was running maybe 20s/km faster than me, but of course I had to pick up the pace to stay a few steps in front of him.

So rare to see another runner so early in the morning for me, and even more rare to run the same route for more than a few steps.  But having another runner to pace by is cool.  I wonder how much better I would train if I always had a rabbit with me to push me a bit.
Love me some Gibbous moons.

Ran a route tonight that I've run a lot. It was basically the first "long" run I went on when I started this journey many moons (gibbous or otherwise). I've never done a "max effort on it" but it is a route that I often run with a given effort and can use strava and the "matched runs" feature for some comparisons. 

Anyway, I ran it tonight and found myself pushing it a little bit but felt good, heart rate was pretty good, and the comparison to other runs is not bad all things considered. Feeling pretty happy about now, especially with putting in the effort I have lately without really having any "carrot" dragging me along. I have an organized 5k next Saturday and a 15k trail run the Saturday after but I'm not really thinking much about time for either in terms of any real goal. 

Can't be sure yet, but hoping maybe I've found a new mindset that could pay dividends later... we'll see! 

50 degrees and rainy this morning for my 40k cycle. I think at this point running is going to end up being my cross-training for a little while. My Half Ironman in May was moved and I was able to get a voucher from Ironman to use within the next 4 years. And since pools here have been closed since October I was able to get a deferral to next year on my June Ironman.

Only races on the calendar right now are the Transcontinental (4,000km cycling, July) and Monumental in November. Base building on the bike now coming out of hibernation and will gradually sprinkle in more running as we get closer to marathon training kicking off. The hope is that once the Monumental training ramps up my engine will be built up from cycling and I will just need to get the legs adjusted to pounding the pavement.

And it was just announced that a 3-week confinement is being proposed here in Paris, perhaps starting sometime next week. Forget going to the south of France, the wife and I are debating heading to my parent's house in Tucson where it's warm and sunny and there is sweet, sweet freedom.

First run with flip belt was a disaster, hated it.  Stuck with it and now I’m sold.  Should work better than the arm band on the bike as well.

fenix 5x watch is a beast, love this thing, batter life is ridiculous and I’m so glad to be away from a touchscreen(last Garmin was a touchscreen).  Give me hard button presses all day long.

First run with flip belt was a disaster, hated it.  Stuck with it and now I’m sold.  Should work better than the arm band on the bike as well.

fenix 5x watch is a beast, love this thing, batter life is ridiculous and I’m so glad to be away from a touchscreen(last Garmin was a touchscreen).  Give me hard button presses all day long.
I can't tell if you're just stuck with the flip belt and grudgingly sold it on it, or genuinely liking it?

The back has progressed a bit, pain and mobility-wise. Decided to ride a bike slowly to work this am. A little sore after, but doesn't feel like damage- just tired/sore from using something already sore...if that makes sense. 

Will see how it feels later, and ride home if all ok. Not sure about a small run tomorrow, but maybe Sunday. 

lumpy19 said:

:bowtie:

Just what I wanted to read:

'COURSE UPDATE
So.... do you want the good news or the bad news first?
Good news? OK... we get to have a LIVE / IN-PERSON race tomorrow... YEAH!!
Bad news (sigh)... the course conditions are HORRIBLE! With the warmer temperatures we had mid-week, the snow melted and then refroze forming ICE, and lots of ice!
If you ran last year... this is worse, a lot worse.
So you ask, what kind of shoes do I wear? Not real sure how to answer that, as nothing really helps with pure ice.'

:lol:

Just what I wanted to read:

'COURSE UPDATE
So.... do you want the good news or the bad news first?
Good news? OK... we get to have a LIVE / IN-PERSON race tomorrow... YEAH!!
Bad news (sigh)... the course conditions are HORRIBLE! With the warmer temperatures we had mid-week, the snow melted and then refroze forming ICE, and lots of ice!
If you ran last year... this is worse, a lot worse.
So you ask, what kind of shoes do I wear? Not real sure how to answer that, as nothing really helps with pure ice.'

:lol:
Old running shoes with screws on the bottom.

Oh, I've done it before. I think yaktraks are better, but they both work. From the information I've gleaned neither are any match for these conditions. They may actually be worse. Sure you'll break through the ice in the thin sections, but the thicker sections won't be effective. Gliding/skating may be optimal, which you can't do with anything protruding from your shoe. And there are a lot of thick sections. This is what happens when you have 1-2' of snow pack, a brief warm-up to the mid 50's, followed by a freeze. The snow pack compressed, but what didn't melt before the freeze is now a thick sheet of ice. Consensus messaging seems to be no matter what you try won't work, so...embrace the suck!

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
I can't tell if you're just stuck with the flip belt and grudgingly sold it on it, or genuinely liking it?
The first few runs I kept the phone in the back thinking that would be best. It bounced when I ran and was a huge pain to get out when I needed to get to my phone.  I switched to keeping it in the front and it’s way better, don’t even notice it and way easier to access the phone.  Still kind of a pain to get it out of the slits with gloves on but the gloves are a pain with the armband as well.

The first few runs I kept the phone in the back thinking that would be best. It bounced when I ran and was a huge pain to get out when I needed to get to my phone.  I switched to keeping it in the front and it’s way better, don’t even notice it and way easier to access the phone.  Still kind of a pain to get it out of the slits with gloves on but the gloves are a pain with the armband as well.
Yes, wear it in the front. And you'll get used to getting it in and out easily (TWSS). Water bottle goes in the back if I bring one. Key or ID in the side. You get the zippered version?

I was ready to post the exact same link.   :D   But with pure ice, it's almost like you'd want to use a longer hex screw and drill from inside the shoe so part of the point is protruding out through the bottom ...put the inner shoe lining back over the screw heads, wear a couple pairs of socks for padding, and live with some discomfort.  Essentially self-made track/CC spikes.  @MAC_32, of course, could use sharpened dum-dum stubs.  

Could you just wear some quality hiking boots, trading decent traction for the extra weight of the boots?  Dunno.  

eta: I agree that Yaktrax aren't the answer. They're fine on snow, but offer little additional assistance on ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was ready to post the exact same link.   :D   But with pure ice, it's almost like you'd want to use a longer hex screw and drill from inside the shoe so part of the point is protruding out through the bottom ...put the inner shoe lining back over the screw heads, wear a couple pairs of socks for padding, and live with some discomfort.  Essentially self-made track/CC spikes.  @MAC_32, of course, could use sharpened dum-dum stubs.  

Could you just wear some quality hiking boots, trading decent traction for the extra weight of the boots?  Dunno.  

eta: I agree that Yaktrax aren't the answer. They're fine on snow, but offer little additional assistance on ice.
Read this suggestion a bit ago too. It's a good one. If it weren't for my back I'd probably just do it, but because of it I am going to the worst part of the course tomorrow to test. I'll scout then make a decision. 

Yes, wear it in the front. And you'll get used to getting it in and out easily (TWSS). Water bottle goes in the back if I bring one. Key or ID in the side. You get the zippered version?
No I didn’t get zipped version, I don’t normally carry water but I do carry gels if I’m going 10+ on a run or a long bike ride and this is perfect for that.

Yep.

Read whatever gel or chew you are using. It tells you on the package.
Oh wow...crank e-gels. Those are the ones I'd use on the bike for tris. Higher amount of electrolytes iirc.  Forgot all about them. And yeah...I'd always wash gels down with water, especially when running.

Users who are viewing this thread