Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

20 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I initially thought the 2nd quote was in response to the first instead of about push ups and it totally made me cringe. 

:lmao:

Me too.

• Replies 54.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

2 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Hey @pbm107 - crushing the push up challenge.  You shooting for 140 a day?  Special significance?  Want to break 4,000 for April?

That is just were I am at with them (7X20), but I only do them 5 days a week. Started doing them last July and was only doing 3x5. Working from home has some advantages.

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

That is just were I am at with them (7X20), but I only do them 5 days a week. Started doing them last July and was only doing 3x5. Working from home has some advantages.

Sweet!

A nice variation is to make a diamond shape with the thumbs and index fingers and then do some reps.  I usually do a set (or two) of 10 when I do those ...they ain't easy.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Sweet!

A nice variation is to make a diamond shape with the thumbs and index fingers and then do some reps.  I usually do a set (or two) of 10 when I do those ...they ain't easy.

No

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Just now, Juxtatarot said:

For me? 8:25 starting time.

Still about 3 hours too early for me, but that's like lunch time on your clock. 

Ok...last night of wife and kids not here and long, genuinely ####ty week at the office...combo of both led me to get legit high off my ### and watch Kong vs Godzilla while consuming just about every ounce of food in the apt last night. :topcat: :hangover: 6:30am long run has turned into... ok...I'll go now. Maybe now.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Ok...last night of wife and kids not here and long, genuinely ####ty week at the office...combo of both led me to get legit high off my ### and watch Kong vs Godzilla while consuming just about every ounce of food in the apt last night. :topcat: :hangover: 6:30am long run has turned into... ok...I'll go now. Maybe now.

Ok. Maybe now. :bag:

36 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

He will, wind is the only variable. 

Yeah, some SW winds, but an ideal mid-40s temp.  9:00 am local time right now ...he should be finished!

:popcorn: 

I love that he went for 35:XX. And that's just cruel giving them the head wind on mile 6. I think we can finally put the cyborg talk to bed too - a 190 HR on this human being? Jesus.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

I love that he went for 35:XX. And that's just cruel giving them the head wind on mile 6. I think we can finally put the cyborg talk to bed too - a 190 HR on this human being? Jesus.

Just as cruel is having the 10Kers loop right around the 5K finish for loop 2.

And if was a true 10K length, he had a solid 35:14.

Edited by tri-man 47
57 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Thanks but my watch's heart rate monitor isn't always accurate.  I think it went crazy there at the end.  I got over 170 though which is very rare for me.  Last few miles were very tough.  It's been so long since I raced that I kind of forgot what that feels like.

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Thanks but my watch's heart rate monitor isn't always accurate.  I think it went crazy there at the end.  I got over 170 though which is very rare for me.  Last few miles were very tough.  It's been so long since I raced that I kind of forgot what that feels like.

Looks like that last mile was battle.

And like Kong...or maybe Godzilla- I don't recall because I was too damned high last night...you kicked it's ###.

Serious bmf stuff. And so cool to see the work youve been putting in pay off. Congrats! 

Speaking being too damned high....that #### doesn't work the night before a gian-ing (I forgot the acronym) workout. 

On my long run today, the legs were frosty and telling me to giddyup, but the lungs were telling me to #### right off and weren't having any of it.

My head is exploding that a 35-minute 10K isn't enough for 1st overall.  Some tough competition there.

@Juxtatarot, looking at Strava, it appears you took more than two minutes off your PR???  

:tebow:

Great race, man.  Hopefully you're enjoying a cold one right now.  Can't wait for the RR.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

Why? Because I'm so old? 😁

🤷🏽‍♂️ Yeah. 

Iirc you're my age, completely kicking ###. You're inspiring. 

14 hours ago, pbm107 said:

That's a hell of an improvement. 

Gotta love it when fast dudes start to develop muscle ;)

14 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Sweet!

That, and count to 4 on the down. Slow builds muscle.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

That, and count to 4 on the down. Slow builds muscle.

Let's cut out all these pro level moves.  It's only day 3 and I could barely squeeze out a set of 25 and then a set of 10.  I may be done for the day.  Oh, and my t!tties hurt horribly when running. 

I feel like a shell of a man :(

Edited by xulf
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
13 minutes ago, xulf said:

Let's cut out all these pro level moves.  It's only day 3 and I could barely squeeze out a set of 25 and then a set of 10.  I may be done for the day.  Oh, and my t!tties hurt horribly when running. 

The first couple days aren't the hardest. The period you're going through right now is. It gets easier, but it's gonna be a rough few days.

Just remember the objective of these challenges is to create a sustainable habit once on the other side...

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, xulf said:

You're doing great. 

Push-ups are like the one thing I can still do fairly well. Now that my procreating days are over 🙏 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

You're doing great. 

Push-ups are like the one thing I can still do fairly well. Now that my procreating days are over 🙏 

:confused:

Am I doing push-ups wrong?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
22 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

You're doing great. 

I still have about 4 weeks left in the tank for this :oldunsure:

Edited by xulf
Just now, xulf said:

I still have about 4 weeks left in the tank for this :oldunsure:

What kind of tank are we talking about?

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

What kind of tank are we talking about?

The leftovers from the sperm tank... but I guess its 3 months not 6 weeks (that's my post surgery follow up), so my guys hanging around are clinging to what little life they have left.

• Sad 1
Just now, xulf said:

The leftovers from the sperm tank... but I guess its 3 months not 6 weeks (that's my post surgery follow up), so my guys hanging around are clinging to what little life they have left.

Way to make this weird @xulf

• Laughing 2

Fast Cat 10K Race Report

As I mentioned the other day, this is a small race (68 10K runners, 138 5K runners).  However, there was certainly competition so that was nice. 

Because of COVID, this was run in waves.  The first wave consisted of high school students.  This race benefits a high school track team and starts and finishes at a high school.  They took off at a quick pace.  Most of them seemed like track/cross country runners although some clearly were not.

My wave was a combination of “elites” (non high schoolers who asked to be in this wave) and 10-K relay teams (2 X 5K).  It was small: 12 starters - 6 elites, 6 relays.

The course is two 5K loops.  The first half of the loop has some elevation loss (although no “hills”) and is with the wind or has a cross-wind. Klimat (from Strava) has the wind at 9 mph.  The forecast called for 13-15 mph and that’s what it felt like to me.  Naturally, then, the second half of the loop has the against the wind parts and the elevation gain.

A note about splits:  My watch measured the course at 6.36 miles.  The website says the race is USATF certified so I assume it’s properly measured.  My guess is the difference is just a combination of GPS error and not running perfect tangents.  So, these splits are going to appear a little faster than they actually were. 

Mile 1: 5:33

We start out in a big group.  Maybe 8 of us.  This was a little faster than I had planned although it’s the easy part of the loop and I wanted to stick with the group.  I was feeling fine. I ran two miles at 6:00 a.m. so I was still nice and loose to start.

Mile 2: 5:30

I think I moved up from maybe 8th place to 5th in this mile.  The leaders aren’t too far away but far enough to know I’m not catching them.    

Mile 3: 5:47

This is the worst of the loop here with the wind and elevation gain.  I know I have to slow and kind of naturally do so.  I think the runners around me did the same.  

5K clock time: 17:25

There are two lanes going over timing mats under one of those inflatable finish lines.  One for the 5K and one for the 10K.  The guy ahead of me stays in the 5K lane.  I didn’t realize it at the time but he was a relay participant.  

This 17:25 time is better than my official 17:41 5K PR.  I think I ran a 17:22 last year for our virtual race series but that was downhill and with the wind.  

Mile 4: 5:36

All of a sudden pops out this tall, skinny guy ahead of me.  “Where the #### did he come from?”  After maybe half of a mile I pass him and finally figure out he’s part two of the relay team that was ahead of me.  So, I think I’m in fourth.  This is that easy mile again and I feel decently.

Mile 5: 5:35

There is wind in the second half of this mile and it’s starting to feel really tough.  I did pass another runner who certainly looked gassed.  I think that happened at the end of this mile.

Mile 6: 5:59

This is that bad part of the course again and I’m really exhausted.  I know I’ve slowed but tell myself to just try to stay under 6:00 in the average lap pace of my watch.

Remainder: 5:52 pace

I ended in 3rd in my wave.  6th overall when adding two teenagers and one 40-year old man who ran in a later wave. 

Results.

Official time: 36:03.  That’s better than my previous PR of 37:37 set on this same course in 2017.  The 10K PR was my softest of the four major distances.  When I put this time in the McMillan calculator, it calculates it as my best race ever but only by one second over my half marathon PR set in 2018.  

One of the things that is most encouraging about this race is I still think I can get better.  Perhaps it’s just about the amount of effort I want to put in it.  I know I can get stronger. My injuries are slowly getting better and better. I think that’s due to the strengthening exercises and improved stretching. I’m also only running 50 miles per week.  I’ve commonly gone over 70 in marathon training.  I’m also not really training the right way.  I’m not doing strides, hill repeats, intervals, or fartleks. The point is, there are still a number of ways to improve.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do next.  I was looking for a May 5K but I’d want it to be a decent one and didn’t see much.  I might just wait for fall.  Although I still haven’t decided what races to run then either.

• Like 2
  • Love 14

Fast Cat 10K Race Report

As I mentioned the other day, this is a small race (68 10K runners, 138 5K runners).  However, there was certainly competition so that was nice. 

Because of COVID, this was run in waves.  The first wave consisted of high school students.  This race benefits a high school track team and starts and finishes at a high school.  They took off at a quick pace.  Most of them seemed like track/cross country runners although some clearly were not.

My wave was a combination of “elites” (non high schoolers who asked to be in this wave) and 10-K relay teams (2 X 5K).  It was small: 12 starters - 6 elites, 6 relays.

The course is two 5K loops.  The first half of the loop has some elevation loss (although no “hills”) and is with the wind or has a cross-wind. Klimat (from Strava) has the wind at 9 mph.  The forecast called for 13-15 mph and that’s what it felt like to me.  Naturally, then, the second half of the loop has the against the wind parts and the elevation gain.

A note about splits:  My watch measured the course at 6.36 miles.  The website says the race is USATF certified so I assume it’s properly measured.  My guess is the difference is just a combination of GPS error and not running perfect tangents.  So, these splits are going to appear a little faster than they actually were. 

Mile 1: 5:33

We start out in a big group.  Maybe 8 of us.  This was a little faster than I had planned although it’s the easy part of the loop and I wanted to stick with the group.  I was feeling fine. I ran two miles at 6:00 a.m. so I was still nice and loose to start.

Mile 2: 5:30

I think I moved up from maybe 8th place to 5th in this mile.  The leaders aren’t too far away but far enough to know I’m not catching them.    

Mile 3: 5:47

This is the worst of the loop here with the wind and elevation gain.  I know I have to slow and kind of naturally do so.  I think the runners around me did the same.  

5K clock time: 17:25

There are two lanes going over timing mats under one of those inflatable finish lines.  One for the 5K and one for the 10K.  The guy ahead of me stays in the 5K lane.  I didn’t realize it at the time but he was a relay participant.  

This 17:25 time is better than my official 17:41 5K PR.  I think I ran a 17:22 last year for our virtual race series but that was downhill and with the wind.  

Mile 4: 5:36

All of a sudden pops out this tall, skinny guy ahead of me.  “Where the #### did he come from?”  After maybe half of a mile I pass him and finally figure out he’s part two of the relay team that was ahead of me.  So, I think I’m in fourth.  This is that easy mile again and I feel decently.

Mile 5: 5:35

There is wind in the second half of this mile and it’s starting to feel really tough.  I did pass another runner who certainly looked gassed.  I think that happened at the end of this mile.

Mile 6: 5:59

This is that bad part of the course again and I’m really exhausted.  I know I’ve slowed but tell myself to just try to stay under 6:00 in the average lap pace of my watch.

Remainder: 5:52 pace

I ended in 3rd in my wave.  6th overall when adding two teenagers and one 40-year old man who ran in a later wave. 

Results.

Official time: 36:03.  That’s better than my previous PR of 37:37 set on this same course in 2017.  The 10K PR was my softest of the four major distances.  When I put this time in the McMillan calculator, it calculates it as my best race ever but only by one second over my half marathon PR set in 2018.  

One of the things that is most encouraging about this race is I still think I can get better.  Perhaps it’s just about the amount of effort I want to put in it.  I know I can get stronger. My injuries are slowly getting better and better. I think that’s due to the strengthening exercises and improved stretching. I’m also only running 50 miles per week.  I’ve commonly gone over 70 in marathon training.  I’m also not really training the right way.  I’m not doing strides, hill repeats, intervals, or fartleks. The point is, there are still a number of ways to improve.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do next.  I was looking for a May 5K but I’d want it to be a decent one and didn’t see much.  I might just wait for fall.  Although I still haven’t decided what races to run then either.

I speak for everyone when I say, you are ridiculous. Congrats!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This 17:25 time is better than my official 17:41 5K PR.

PRing your 5K on your 10K race is so #BMF!

:tebow:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Juxtataroti don’t know what to say, I’m super impressed and so happy for you. Not surprising considering some of your recent training runs, consistency over time doesn’t guarantee results but it gives you a chance and you seizing the opportunity. Congrats.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, -OZ- said:

That's a hell of an improvement. 

Gotta love it when fast dudes start to develop muscle ;)

Thanks but I am still weak by most standards and don’t have nearly the muscle mass you have. I have to admit I am enjoying the new challenge of push-ups and pull-ups.

• Like 2

I slowed down my push ups today. Went from 35-35-30 to 35-30-25, but I think I got more work out of them. I'm glad OZ said something as I think this adjustment will help me beat a plateau that probably would have hit in a week or 2.