What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

I am at the point where I want to start adding some speed workouts to my running. I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. I see I can create interval workouts on my watch but am unclear on a few things. Can you add a warmup /cool down? Most interval plans are in meters while my watch is set to miles. Do people typically convert meters to miles and use those numbers or change settings to use kilometers when setting up interval workouts?
Le big mac

I am at the point where I want to start adding some speed workouts to my running. I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. I see I can create interval workouts on my watch but am unclear on a few things. Can you add a warmup /cool down? Most interval plans are in meters while my watch is set to miles. Do people typically convert meters to miles and use those numbers or change settings to use kilometers when setting up interval workouts?
1) Yes you can add a warmup/cool down. It can be in terms of time or distance. 

2) I typically just use the miles because I've done the work on the track. But, the reality is it doesn't REALLY matter if it's a little off. 400m? Just do quarter mile. 800m is 1/2 mile. Etc.

But, I'm pretty sure you can set up workouts with meters without having to otherwise change the settings on your watch.

The easiest way to set up the workout is on Garmin directly. I prefer the desktop. But you can do it on your phone using the Garmin app. Then you just sync your watch. No way I'd try and set it up using the watch itself.

2) I typically just use the miles because I've done the work on the track. But, the reality is it doesn't REALLY matter if it's a little off. 400m? Just do quarter mile. 800m is 1/2 mile. Etc.

But, I'm pretty sure you can set up workouts with meters without having to otherwise change the settings on your watch.

The easiest way to set up the workout is on Garmin directly. I prefer the desktop. But you can do it on your phone using the Garmin app. Then you just sync your watch. No way I'd try and set it up using the watch itself.
Thanks for the feedback. Will give it a try this week.

JShare87 said:
It's been about two months since my marathon, and my first day of a 12-week program started today. I’m not sure if some of you have seen my runs on Strava lately, but I'm going through an unexplainable stretch right now. I am getting extremely fit for some unknown reason. 

I have been thinking about the reason why this is happening, and I've come up with two possible answers. Number one is, I'm just continuing the benefits I saw from my last program and marathon.
:yes:

The cumulative effect is doing work. Over any 12 month period since you joined strava you've for all intents and purposes had at least one month off (probably due to injury). That's not been the case over the last 12 as September was your only month < 100 miles and it was really just 2 weeks off. But more than that, you strung 410 miles together Dec and Jan - and 563 adding Feb. You've had good-great months before, but not to that level nor layered on top of each other. Now that you're recalibrated on the other side of treasure coast I think you're ready to take off. 

You know, it’s been oddly silent this year. I don’t think anyone really has a clue.
I’m more wondering when will they notify.  The classic Boston Marathon celebration jacket goes on sale this week. 

I have no sense whether they coordinate the sale date with the B.A.A. notification date or not.

OrganizedChaos said:
Fartleks are another good option to add speed if you find the watch part too annoying.  I don't do them personally but I'm considering adding them.  I find the loose structure appealing as I can just run by feel.    Progressions and tempos are good too although I guess they aren't technically "speed" workouts.  (But they get you faster.)

Our discussion of stride length and cadence reminded me of this video on why Kipchoge's form and stride are so good.  There are a lot of good takeaways but perhaps the most important part for anyone considering making changes is the part about foot-knee position and avoiding overreaching.

Our discussion of stride length and cadence reminded me of this video on why Kipchoge's form and stride are so good.  There are a lot of good takeaways but perhaps the most important part for anyone considering making changes is the part about foot-knee position and avoiding overreaching.
I really enjoyed that video, I fear what my running form looks like after watching that.

Fartleks are another good option to add speed if you find the watch part too annoying.  I don't do them personally but I'm considering adding them.  I find the loose structure appealing as I can just run by feel.    Progressions and tempos are good too although I guess they aren't technically "speed" workouts.  (But they get you faster.)
Thanks for the input. I have considered fartleks as well (think I would really like them) but since there is no structure not sure I could gauge my improvement adequately. If I run into issues with the watch and intervals may just set my lap size smaller (.5 or .25) and run accordingly.

Agree with all of this, but just wanted to point out that you can make the warmup/cool down open ended by making it a "button press" instead of a fixed time or distance.  I prefer this method, particularly for intervals, as there are a few selected spots that I like to do intervals at, and this allows me to meander my way there as long as it takes, then hit the lap button when it is go time.

The confirmations are for fall, 2021. 

Those overachievers are already eyeing 2022 ...I think because they think you'll be there.
Ok, I see. I guess Chicago 2019 would qualify me although I haven’t though at all about 2022. I haven’t even decided the rest of 2021 yet.

After watching this video, I am somewhat relieved because of the runner behind him with the obvious heel-strike. I am curious, and this may be a question best suited for @MAC_32. How does one increase his stride length without a major change to running form? Does this come by strengthening, which in turn produces more power, or is there some other trick to it? As I said before, my cadence is great. I stay around the magic number of 180 at a slower pace and am closer to 200-210 at faster paces. I believe my issue is stride length. 

The guy who had the AG course record I set would go on to be in the Runner’s World Masters Ranking for 2008 (#3 in the 55-59 AG, initials SC). Then he apparently stopped racing in 2009. Stuff like that always makes me wonder.
Oh, yes, I recognize that name!  Very impressive to have beaten one of his records.  :hifive:    Keep it up and you could be pretty good at this sport.

--

And @JShare87, by quick  :2cents:  is to suggest that an improved stride is tied to a strong back kick, which helps to create a smooth, circular motion.

After watching this video, I am somewhat relieved because of the runner behind him with the obvious heel-strike. I am curious, and this may be a question best suited for @MAC_32. How does one increase his stride length without a major change to running form? Does this come by strengthening, which in turn produces more power, or is there some other trick to it? As I said before, my cadence is great. I stay around the magic number of 180 at a slower pace and am closer to 200-210 at faster paces. I believe my issue is stride length. 
Maybe it isn’t a major change in running form.  The same British guy has a video  discussing this although I’m bet you could find better ones out there.

A 210 cadence seems very high.

Maybe it isn’t a major change in running form.  The same British guy has a video  discussing this although I’m bet you could find better ones out there.

A 210 cadence seems very high.
I understand what he and @tri-man 47 are saying, but are there certain exercises to help increase stride length? Or is this just purely being conscious of what he described and correcting the running form?

Oh man, I'm wary anything I may say would just lead to an injury. Your cadence is your cadence and mine is demanding on my body. I've worked real hard just to get mine up to 170! 

I think lower body strength work is a necessity before intentionally trying to lower that number. It just happening organically like juxt would be optimal though. 

I understand what he and @tri-man 47 are saying, but are there certain exercises to help increase stride length? Or is this just purely being conscious of what he described and correcting the running form?
If it helps for experimental purposes my primary go-to's are walking lunges, reverse lunges, single leg rdl, medicine ball squat-and-throws, and banded standing single leg abductors. 

Speaking for myself, I've realized that injuries and chronic tightness caused me to keep a shorter stride to try to protect myself. Maybe it was necessary at the time.  I don't know. When I became a little stronger in the legs and core, a little more flexible, and a little less injured, it has felt kind of natural to drive the knees forward a bit more.   And a little more sustainable.  

Not that anybody cares, but I don’t believe in messing with one’s natural stride length, cadence, foot strike, etc.

I was playing around with this on my run this morning.  I tried to keep the same pace but do so with high cadence/shorter stride and then switch to lower cadence/longer stride.  It's not difficult to do keeping your basic running form.  Just pick up your feet a little more set them down farther (but avoid over-striding like seen in the videos).  It's not rocket science.

I don't see any harm in you playing around with it too.  Maybe you should stick with how you're doing things.  Maybe you would benefit by changing.  I don't know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Eta...I have watch.
I had two concerns going into this and whether the watch was workable: not being able to read the watch without my reading glasses, gps not registering quick enough.

All systems go on both counts, so I'm keeping it. 

Pace was slightly different than my phone, and it did take half a block or so to register the gps...but whatever- I'm in. 

Nice to see more robust data. 

Trying to think if I need the phone for runs any more...I use it to unlock bikes and pay for stuff as needed (including subway) and take pictures. Don't typically need any of that on runs (although I like putting pictures up on Strava)

I had two concerns going into this and whether the watch was workable: not being able to read the watch without my reading glasses, gps not registering quick enough.

All systems go on both counts, so I'm keeping it. 

Pace was slightly different than my phone, and it did take half a block or so to register the gps...but whatever- I'm in. 

Nice to see more robust data. 

Trying to think if I need the phone for runs any more...I use it to unlock bikes and pay for stuff as needed (including subway) and take pictures. Don't typically need any of that on runs (although I like putting pictures up on Strava)
FlipBelt, FTW.  Then you don't have to carry it in your hand anymore like @MAC_32 circa 2019.

B.A.A. unable to accept 9,215 qualifiers due to field size limitations 
:jawdrop:    That's, like, more than 30% of the applications.  Wow.  You have to figure that pent up demand, then, will carry into 2022+.

As to your other comment about messing with stride length, cadence, foot strike:  I would disagree on the latter (foot strike) for sure.  Changing to a mid/forefoot strike many years ago had a very positive effect on my running.  An inefficient/ineffective foot strike is an element that should be fixed by many runners...along with that comes the issue of contact time as runners roll through from heel to toe.  I would speculate that a better foot strike will also naturally improve cadence due to the contact issue.  Improvement in stride length probably becomes a natural function of strength and flexibility rather than active alterations during the run. 

Hey guys -- I adjusted the pushup sheet to now include May.  I wanted to keep myself accountable to keep doing some. I am definitely NOT doing 5000.  I don't even know what my number will be.  1500 maybe? 

So if you want to keep updating, feel free.  If not, that's totally cool too. 

If you weren't a part of it before but want to do some pushups, here's the link

Users who are viewing this thread