What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Great race, @pbm107! Hope you're happy with the result given recent injuries.
Thanks everyone, today was the first time that attempted to run fast since getting hurt and I am happy with the way my body held up. I came in 3rd overall and walked away with a $100 check. 

I did lose to a guy wearing pants though which was bizarre considering the conditions. I talked to him after the race and didn’t get a good explanation on why he races in pants, just that his nickname is Pants.

Time for beer as I am visiting some old friends.  

Thanks everyone, today was the first time that attempted to run fast since getting hurt and I am happy with the way my body held up. I came in 3rd overall and walked away with a $100 check. 

I did lose to a guy wearing pants though which was bizarre considering the conditions. I talked to him after the race and didn’t get a good explanation on why he races in pants, just that his nickname is Pants.

Awesome. And the historians can add ‘pants-ed’ to the racing lexicon.  Rare like a double eagle in golf I reckon. 

Well la-di-da I'll just run fast for the first time in forever and cruise my way to a 3rd place finish and oh by the way I'm a professional runner now officially so the rest of you schlubs can just race for donuts.....

Tool Floppinho up to Central Park to drop him off at a friend's bday. They had Krispy Kremes and I immediately thought of our dozens dozen racer.

🥯 :popcorn:

Congrats! Great that you’re healthy.  I think you’ll be in a good place to start Indy training in July.

Well, I planned to embrace the suck, and went out earlier than usual  while it was still sunny so I wouldn't get eaten alive by mosquitos.  And for the first few miles I felt great. Then I got crushed during mile 4 and hand to dial it way way back and I couldn't figure out why. Then I saw the fast moving clouds and the humidity spike and the thunderstorms moving towards me. Oh well.  My time ended up sucking but overall I feel ok and could probably get back on the treadmill and do more if I wanted to. Instead I'll build off this one tomorrow with a little less fatigue.  

Do you guys use special running socks too or just regular socks or ?
Usually just regular, short socks. I used compression socks very liberally when I made the initial jump in mileage though. Once it became normal I typically only use them when it's cold and I don't want to wear tights. I only feel like I need those compression socks on some easy runs the day after something of substance - certainly not all the time though.

I cut my run short yesterday at 11.7 miles.  Not that I had a plan to run a specific distance but I've generally been running at least 13 on Saturdays.   My hamstrings and glutes were barking near the end of that much more than usual.  I could have continued but there was no reason to since marathon training hasn't even started yet.  The fact that it was probably up to 75 degrees and I had no water made it easier to decide to stop too.

It isn't a surprise that I would start getting achy like that.  I've been doing almost all my runs below 7:00 pace recently and I'm not strong enough to keep that up without injury.  It's kind of a "well, duh!" observation but I guess I like to test my limits.  

So today I decide to run slow.  Obviously that's what I should do -- make the easy days easier so I'll be stronger for the hard days.  Hamstrings and glues were normal.  I do OK for the first mile -- 8:00 but first miles are usually my warmup.  The second mile is 7:11 and a notice I'm under 7:00 during the third.  It didn't help that I ran to the park and I always have a tendency to increase pace when I'm around other people.  I ended up running 7:01, 7:00, 7:00 and 7:07 for the final miles so my recovery run was a failure.

I just hate the feeling of running slowly.  I can do it when I'm especially tired or sometimes nursing an injury but otherwise it is so uncomfortable to do.  

Last edited by a moderator:
After my experience this morning I’m going to take a shot at a sub 45 10k, current pr is 49 something.

18 mile bike ride and followed it up with what was supposed to be an easy run.  Legs felt sticky after getting off the bike but first mile was 8:09 and I felt great so pushed and looked down at my watch and saw 6:50 which was a bit frightening, I held 7ish for the next 1.5 miles and then shut it down but I’m now quite confident I have way more in the tank than I thought.

After my experience this morning I’m going to take a shot at a sub 45 10k, current pr is 49 something.

18 mile bike ride and followed it up with what was supposed to be an easy run.  Legs felt sticky after getting off the bike but first mile was 8:09 and I felt great so pushed and looked down at my watch and saw 6:50 which was a bit frightening, I held 7ish for the next 1.5 miles and then shut it down but I’m now quite confident I have way more in the tank than I thought.
Are you considering an actual race or just an "around the neighborhood" 10K?

42:59

I cut my run short yesterday at 11.7 miles.  Not that I had a plan to run a specific distance but I've generally been running at least 13 on Saturdays.   My hamstrings and glutes were barking near the end of that much more than usual.  I could have continued but there was no reason to since marathon training hasn't even started yet.  The fact that it was probably up to 75 degrees and I had no water made it easier to decide to stop too.

It isn't a surprise that I would start getting achy like that.  I've been doing almost all my runs below 7:00 pace recently and I'm not strong enough to keep that up without injury.  It's kind of a "well, duh!" observation but I guess I like to test my limits.  

So today I decide to run slow.  Obviously that's what I should do -- make the easy days easier so I'll be stronger for the hard days.  Hamstrings and glues were normal.  I do OK for the first mile -- 8:00 but first miles are usually my warmup.  The second mile is 7:11 and a notice I'm under 7:00 during the third.  It didn't help that I ran to the park and I always have a tendency to increase pace when I'm around other people.  I ended up running 7:01, 7:00, 7:00 and 7:07 for the final miles so my recovery run was a failure.

I just hate the feeling of running slowly.  I can do it when I'm especially tired or sometimes nursing an injury but otherwise it is so uncomfortable to do.  
Empathize 10000%

Different pace, obviously, but exact same feeling.

Saturday 7 miles

Sunday 3.5 miles

Monday 7 miles

Tuesday 4 miles

Wednesday 7 miles

Thursday 0 - rest day

Friday 4 miles

Saturday 7 miles

Sunday 7 miles

My first time doing 7 miles on back to back days, and first time doing 7 miles 4 times in one week.  36 miles in a week is about where I want to pause and get better at these distances, not just keep increasing. I was around 20 miles a week a couple months ago and have been increasing pretty steadily.

I think my next goals will be to figure out how to do MAF runs outside instead of running hard then bonking and getting back to it, and getting my 7 mile route dun in under an hour.  If I can do those two things I can start to increase my long run distance and start to caterpillar up again.  

On the topic of running hard then bonking, apparently I set PRs for one mile and two miles and 5k today before hitting the wall in mile 4 and slowing way down (I also started running into a headwind at mile 5 so that didn't help).  

Is there something I can do with my Samsung active2 watch or strava or some other app that will help with pacing? It sounds like Garmin does a pretty good job with that but I already bought a Samsung.  I haven't even figured out how to play music from it yet, I'm just using it for GPS and occasionally making phone calls from it.  Is there anything else I can/should do?

On the topic of running hard then bonking, apparently I set PRs for one mile and two miles and 5k today before hitting the wall in mile 4 and slowing way down (I also started running into a headwind at mile 5 so that didn't help).  

Is there something I can do with my Samsung active2 watch or strava or some other app that will help with pacing? It sounds like Garmin does a pretty good job with that but I already bought a Samsung.  I haven't even figured out how to play music from it yet, I'm just using it for GPS and occasionally making phone calls from it.  Is there anything else I can/should do?
Run a more consistent pace.

But seriously...my pacing has been crap lately- something I used to be really good at.

I used to consistently do a workout that involved timed out and backs (5-10mins). The idea was to always get back to your same starting point at exactly the same time, but the turnaround point for the out and back got successively father...making you increase the pace AND be consistent with it on each o&b. Basically the same as laddera. 3 or 4 of those usually did it. Loved that workout, and need to get back into it- highly recommend it.

Run a more consistent pace.

But seriously...my pacing has been crap lately- something I used to be really good at.

I used to consistently do a workout that involved timed out and backs (5-10mins). The idea was to always get back to your same starting point at exactly the same time, but the turnaround point for the out and back got successively father...making you increase the pace AND be consistent with it on each o&b. Basically the same as laddera. 3 or 4 of those usually did it. Loved that workout, and need to get back into it- highly recommend it.
All of these words are English and yet I do not understand what they mean when they are put together in this order.  Thank you for trying, I'm sorry I am dumb

All of these words are English and yet I do not understand what they mean when they are put together in this order.  Thank you for trying, I'm sorry I am dumb
Start at point A. 

Run out for 5 minutes to point B and turn around.

Get back to point A exactly 5 minutes later. This makes it so your pace should be consistent over those 10 minutes.

Turn around at Point A and run back out past point B in 5 minutes and turn around.

Get back to point A exactly 5 minutes later. This makes it so your pace should be consistent, but faster than your first out and back over those 10 minutes.

Rinse repeat.

Run the other direction. You seem to get moving at a pretty good clip on that steady down hill mile 3, but then one back to flatter land you're out of gas. So go the flatter route first running to HR (maybe try not to exceed 145?)...it's tough to get pacing down when hills are involved, so avoid them - early on anyway. Then overtly slow down on that climb in the opposite direction and hope you have the juice to let 'er fly for the finish. And ear mark a goal to eventually not slow down on the climb.

For pacing, while I have the Samsung Active 2 watch like you, I have a Garmin watch that I use for running as it's specifically for that. It can display your current pace or your overall pace or your "lap" pace and you can use that to help keep your pace steady or to have an idea of what you're doing. I haven't tried using the Active 2 for that but I will play around with it in the next day or two and see what I can find out and let you know. There might be a screen or field for that. I know there's a Strava app that you can put on the watch and it will do it as well but let me see what I can find out.

Run the other direction. You seem to get moving at a pretty good clip on that steady down hill mile 3, but then one back to flatter land you're out of gas. So go the flatter route first running to HR (maybe try not to exceed 145?)...it's tough to get pacing down when hills are involved, so avoid them - early on anyway. Then overtly slow down on that climb in the opposite direction and hope you have the juice to let 'er fly for the finish. And ear mark a goal to eventually not slow down on the climb.
Btw, this response here is an example of why we recommend getting on Strava. Using the actual information on your runs can help guide advice and feedback.

For pacing, while I have the Samsung Active 2 watch like you, I have a Garmin watch that I use for running as it's specifically for that. It can display your current pace or your overall pace or your "lap" pace and you can use that to help keep your pace steady or to have an idea of what you're doing. I haven't tried using the Active 2 for that but I will play around with it in the next day or two and see what I can find out and let you know. There might be a screen or field for that. I know there's a Strava app that you can put on the watch and it will do it as well but let me see what I can find out.
Having pace fields seems like a pretty basic feature for a smartwatch named “Active”.

This is good advice although that down hill shouldn't be as much of an issue. My last couple runs I've been sprinting down that hill, partly to see if I can even run a few seconds at Juxtatarot's average pace (I finally did it yesterday!) And partly because I am working on my form and downhill is where I really needed the work - I was way over striding or whatever its called when my front foot was going too far out and then when it landed I was slowing down as it slammed me to a halt and then turned and launched me for my next step.  Just horrible but I thought I was opening up and really taking advantage of the hill when it turns out I needed to lean into it, increase my cadence a little and put just a little more push into my rear leg/foot for my launch. 

That out of gas area is also where I ran into a bunch of police cars and ambulances yesterday, they were directing traffic around something bad but I didn't find out what. But it's where I usually hit trouble on my previous runs because I start with a long uphill climb for over a mile and then have a little over a mile with lots of downhills and that makes my pacing go nutty.  Hitting the big uphills around mile 5 will suck, but finishing with a mostly downhill mile will probably help me finish strong.  And the worst mosquito area will be at the start of my run instead of the end which is probably good since I'm an evening runner.  I think I run that direction mostly because that's the way I started running it back when I was originally doing it as a 3 or 4 miler and extended it to 7... and then I kept doing it that way in case I decided to bail... it'll also mean I'll be mostly running on a slight downhill in the parts of town where people are likely to see me so that will make me seem faster if someone I know drives by, which is nice.  

Thank you for looking at it.  Good idea.

Having pace fields seems like a pretty basic feature for a smartwatch named “Active”.
So far I have been using the strava app, I click outdoor run and it immediately starts the timer and show me my current pace, elapsed time, total distance and heart rate.  I have mostly been looking at pace and trying to keep it under 10 minutes except on uphills, then trying to make sure my minutes were on pace to finish around my normal 6mph pace.  I should probably be looking at heart rate more.

Just I don't know what pace fields means, do you just mean field like a piece of data like current pace or average pace?

I can click a button on the watch to make it go to a new lap but I don't have any idea what that does for me or why people use it so I've never intentionally done it.  

I'm not sure if I can start my run on strava and then switch to another app and have strava keep recording in the background - I would hope so but I'm new to watches and it's not even android its some other tizen operating system I think so I'm not sure how it works to be honest. 

I had pretty much given up on MAF for my outdoor runs but that's probably because I was getting my heart rate up too high early, which makes sense because I was starting out with a mile plus of non stop uphill followed by a similar stretch of constant downhill.  If I save that for the end like Mac suggested, maybe I can keep my first few miles in that 135 to 140 hr zone and then I'll be more warmed up by the time I hit the hills which might help. 

Now I want to try it today but I just did back to back 7s for the first time yesterday and the day before and even though I feel completely fine today I really don't want to overdo it.  

Just I don't know what pace fields means, do you just mean field like a piece of data like current pace or average pace?
Yes. Possible Garmin data fields include current pace, average pace and average lap pace. Current pace is always fluctuating, average pace is average for the whole run and average lap pace is the average for the current lap. Most of us use average lap pace and set the watch to automatically start a new lap each mile.  Current pace jumps around too much to be useful and average for the whole run can be too slow to notice yourself slowing or speeding up. Average lap pace is the Goldilocks setting. 

Yes. Possible Garmin data fields include current pace, average pace and average lap pace. Current pace is always fluctuating, average pace is average for the whole run and average lap pace is the average for the current lap. Most of us use average lap pace and set the watch to automatically start a new lap each mile.  Current pace jumps around too much to be useful and average for the whole run can be too slow to notice yourself slowing or speeding up. Average lap pace is the Goldilocks setting. 
I really need to look more into my watch set up.

Interesting. I've been eyeballing that, if I'm aiming for under ten minute mile pace for my full run, I know I should be around 11 minutes for my first mile because the first mile always sucks and on my route it's all uphill, my second mile should be flatter with some ups and downs so I'm shooting for 2 miles by 21ish minutes, and mile three has a lot of downhills so I'm usually under 30 minutes by the end of 3 miles, after that I'm trying to stay under ten minute mile pace except for hills.  

I know I can do average pace for the whole run, but I haven't been using laps so I don't know if I can do average lap pace (seems likely) or automatically start a new lap each mile (no clue). Will try to figure that out.  

Interesting. I've been eyeballing that, if I'm aiming for under ten minute mile pace for my full run, I know I should be around 11 minutes for my first mile because the first mile always sucks and on my route it's all uphill, my second mile should be flatter with some ups and downs so I'm shooting for 2 miles by 21ish minutes, and mile three has a lot of downhills so I'm usually under 30 minutes by the end of 3 miles, after that I'm trying to stay under ten minute mile pace except for hills.  

I know I can do average pace for the whole run, but I haven't been using laps so I don't know if I can do average lap pace (seems likely) or automatically start a new lap each mile (no clue). Will try to figure that out.  
Most every watch/app/etc defaults to auto laps at 1 mile.  That's how we all get our mile splits and when you look at Strava you see the pace for each mile.  If you are trying to use the pacing on your watch, that's definitely what you want to pay attention to.  Even if you don't have a specific field for lap pace, it'll usually buzz at each mile and give you what the split was and you can see if you're running too fast or too slow for whatever you're trying to accomplish. 

And, I would suggest not trying for any specific pace for a full run.  For example, maybe you need a nice, slow 12 or 13 minute mile just to warm up.  That's not going to help the overall pace number but it's also pretty irrelevant if you run the next 5 miles at 9:30 pace.  Even if you want to set a goal of sub 10 minute runs, only apply it to when it matters, which is yet another reason to pay attention to the auto lap 1 mile splits. 

Users who are viewing this thread