What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

First sauna feel run of the season. Got a unforecasted storm around 6am then it just steamed up all morning.

Somehow supposed to be a high of only 60* by Saturday which tells me my gutters and basement are in danger of the hell storm that’s on the way. 

Rest Day Report

Ran 0.0 miles.  Didn't leave the house except to bring the trash out.  Left my chair only slightly more.  Ended up using my extra energy to solve a mystery at work for my senior management which goes up 4 levels above me, and my name will be on it when I present it to the exec three levels above me at just the right time in the performan review cycle.  At one point, I scratched a mosquito bite and my watch came to life and said oh thank goodness you're being active again. 

The gold standard for finding your maximal heart rate is a treadmill stress test in a lab, but you can simulate one on your own with a heart-rate monitor. At a track, do a warmup mile or two, followed by a mile at tempo pace, then gradually increase your speed over 400 meters before running a final quarter all out. "After every 100 meters during the last 400, look at your monitor and accelerate," says Atlanta-based coach Roy Benson. The highest number on your monitor will be close to your maximum heart rate. Once you know your true rate, you only need to update it every five years to see the effect of aging on your max heart rate.

Here you go
I should have read that again before heading out today.

Did an all out 60s sprint after my last (6th) 1/4m interval to see what's what with the HR. I even knew at the time I should have kept going...but I'm a wimp. Spiked at 171 and I shut things down. My HR used to get into the 180s on hard bike climbs...so I know there's more there.

And looking at my splits and HR during the intervals (130s-140s)...something was slow and off today, regardless of missworking the HR side of things at the end. I'll have to redo this next week.

I should have read that again before heading out today.

Did an all out 60s sprint after my last (6th) 1/4m interval to see what's what with the HR. I even knew at the time I should have kept going...but I'm a wimp. Spiked at 171 and I shut things down. My HR used to get into the 180s on hard bike climbs...so I know there's more there.

And looking at my splits and HR during the intervals (130s-140s)...something was slow and off today, regardless of missworking the HR side of things at the end. I'll have to redo this next week.
Much like you I’m a wimp

To estimate your maximum age-related heart rate, subtract your age from 220.

Max hr with no effort, you’re welcome 

In case anyone was waiting patiently another report from Fred, tonight I finished a long day at work and decided that my rest day yesterday meant that today would be an attempt at a personal record as I tried my normal route backwards again.  Immediately as I started running I heard my legs say oh, are we still doing this? Because i thought yesterday meant we were done.  And I said oh hell yes we are still doing this and as a matter of fact we are going to push through this feeling and go hard because I know that the first mile is always a lie so I ran hard and by hard I mean I started over striding again and my shins hurt and everything wanted to shut down and part of me wanted to turn around and go home and try again tomorrow because it sucked so bad but then I decided to just trust the process, cool way down and even walked some which hurt my pride but helped my legs and put in the miles and finished strong and I don't regret a thing. 

In case anyone was waiting patiently another report from Fred, tonight I finished a long day at work and decided that my rest day yesterday meant that today would be an attempt at a personal record as I tried my normal route backwards again.  Immediately as I started running I heard my legs say oh, are we still doing this? Because i thought yesterday meant we were done.  And I said oh hell yes we are still doing this and as a matter of fact we are going to push through this feeling and go hard because I know that the first mile is always a lie so I ran hard and by hard I mean I started over striding again and my shins hurt and everything wanted to shut down and part of me wanted to turn around and go home and try again tomorrow because it sucked so bad but then I decided to just trust the process, cool way down and even walked some which hurt my pride but helped my legs and put in the miles and finished strong and I don't regret a thing. 
And then what did your legs say...?

Wait.  is this the same guy who tells Grue to suck it up and run when its a heat wave?

Don't let a little water ruin your workout.

:pokey:  
:lol:  Fair.

If my wife gets home early enough before whiskey sipping I may go for a short stroll in between. I've done 12 days in a row though...and probably had my best workout since last summer's accident in there too. I've accomplished just about all I've wanted to pre-op - last objective is a successful 2 hour run Monday. Just hope my time on the shelf mirrors @xulf and not what's been shared with me from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably shouldn't bother with a rest day since I have a buncha them coming up, but I'm looking outside right now seeing animals marching two-by-two and am thinking it'd be a good day to sip whiskey on the couch instead.
This week's been a roller coaster weather wise here.  I've had two semi-pleasant runs in the 60s, two grue-immolating runs in the 80s, and now I think it's barely supposed to get above 50 this weekend.  Good for running, bad for lounging around outside.

I probably shouldn't bother with a rest day since I have a buncha them coming up, but I'm looking outside right now seeing animals marching two-by-two and am thinking it'd be a good day to sip whiskey on the couch instead.
I see @MAC_32 is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guys... :rolleyes:

This week's been a roller coaster weather wise here.  I've had two semi-pleasant runs in the 60s, two grue-immolating runs in the 80s, and now I think it's barely supposed to get above 50 this weekend.  Good for running, bad for lounging around outside.
I want to tempo tomorrow, but that wind is a problem. May audible to a bell curve so it's more effective, but more so I'm not completely wiped out for Monday.

I see @MAC_32 is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guys... :rolleyes:
Nah, I stick up for you in these conditions when the prescribed run that day is an easy one. An easy run ceases to exist in these conditions for bigger bodies like us. Where I will always sass you is taking the more challenging workouts indoors when mother nature isn't behaving. 

:lol:  Fair.

If my wife gets home early enough before whiskey sipping I may go for a short stroll in between. I've done 12 days in a row though...and probably had my best workout since last summer's accident in there too. I've accomplished just about all I've wanted to pre-op - last objective is a successful 2 hour run Monday. Just hope my time on the shelf mirrors @xulf and not what's been shared with me from others.
Not sure how your procedure is being done, but mine was under anesthesia.  I was told that type allows for a quicker recovery time than just the local stuff.  I also iced everything for 4 days, which was longer than the 2 days recommended.

I took a full week off and then eased into everything in terms of miles and pace...and the jock strap was a must.  I've ran 65 days straight since my first time back out (this streak ends with my run today since we are heading to Chicago at 5:30 in the morning).

Ice ice ice is my best recommendation.  Then ice some more.

Workout just now is what it was supposed to be.  Needed another week to get right and the weather today certainly helped as well.  Hoping to finish the week strong.  Legs feel better than they have in a long time.
Very nice! So consistent... And love that last mile push. Eta...hr even held steady. Great run.

Very nice! So consistent... And love that last mile push.
Thanks.  Faster than I should have run it overall (GMP is really 9:00).  But, with good weather and getting into a groove and able to keep my HR in the 150s for the first 5 miles, I went with it.  Each out and back is 2 miles (1 each way).  The out was into the wind and uphill.  So, I tried to push each back about 10 seconds faster than the out and I tried to do each subsequent pair a little faster than the last. 

It's nice to have a run like that and not even feel like I ran.  I feel infinitely better after that than I did after yesterday's slow slog in the heat and humidity.

First sauna feel run of the season. Got a unforecasted storm around 6am then it just steamed up all morning.

Somehow supposed to be a high of only 60* by Saturday which tells me my gutters and basement are in danger of the hell storm that’s on the way. 
Freaking rain covering like 6 states. 

This rain is going to make me eat my halter top...words. just dumping- and windy as hell. I'll give it a go in the morning, but reserve the right to Mac it.

57° here. No rain

Tomorrow I think will be the second coldest tri I've done. Start time will be around 52°. The water has been 84°, so not wetsuit legal but maybe it dips just enough 🤞 I'm not sure if they have strippers there, as it's a small event.  

2 years ago this one was in the 90s by the time we got to the run, which was miserable. 

Should be fun. 

57° here. No rain

Tomorrow I think will be the second coldest tri I've done. Start time will be around 52°. The water has been 84°, so not wetsuit legal but maybe it dips just enough 🤞 I'm not sure if they have strippers there, as it's a small event.  

2 years ago this one was in the 90s by the time we got to the run, which was miserable. 

Should be fun. 
Which TRI is it?

Good luck, bandaids have been applied, I guess I am committed now.
That was actually fun until the last 3 miles, when the rain was coming down pretty good and I was into a heavy head wind. Even still, I'm happy with those last 3. I figured my pace was going to tank out given I was getting blown around...and it did a bit compared to the increase I had planned for those...but I pushed hard with nips at full salute.

57° here. No rain

Should be fun. 
I would like to learn more about big events

Users who are viewing this thread