What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Not sure how your procedure is being done, but mine was under anesthesia.  I was told that type allows for a quicker recovery time than just the local stuff.  I also iced everything for 4 days, which was longer than the 2 days recommended.

I took a full week off and then eased into everything in terms of miles and pace...and the jock strap was a must.  I've ran 65 days straight since my first time back out (this streak ends with my run today since we are heading to Chicago at 5:30 in the morning).

Ice ice ice is my best recommendation.  Then ice some more.
Purchased excess frozen veggies yesterday  :thumbup:  Plan is to sit on them Tues-Fri, earliest I would get back to exercise is Sunday or Monday. How long was it until you felt comfortable doing something of substance again? If possible I'd like to do a couplefew before vacation at the end of June.

For me, nothing like a tri. The feeling of finishing each segment is like crossing the finish line of your normal running race...then when you actually cross the finish...amazing.

Plus it's an even more bottomless sinkhole of gear, technique, time and money.
Yep

Frankly, I have no desire to run another race right now. I'd rather just get healthy and not worry about training for running. Although I am doing a 10k in June, it's a local thing organized by a friend.  But tri, is awesome. I'll do this one, a sprint in July and an oly in August. All local.

Purchased excess frozen veggies yesterday  :thumbup:  Plan is to sit on them Tues-Fri, earliest I would get back to exercise is Sunday or Monday. How long was it until you felt comfortable doing something of substance again? If possible I'd like to do a couplefew before vacation at the end of June.
I assume you're getting snipped?

My daughter was born 17 months after my vasectomy. Yes, she's mine.

Good luck with your operation!!

My 16yo is getting into the gym now. We got him a summer membership.

This is a kid who has never been interested in sports, but now that he's 16 he even admits that his interest now is vanity. (Girls?) 

Do any of you have an app or other program for a beginner getting into weights? He doesn't want to do couch to 5k, but probably add 5-10 lbs of muscle this summer. He's slightly underweight now.

Got up early today and knocked out a nice slow 10 mile. Man, I needed that desperately. After:

1. Farmers Market. Loaded up on some good stuff. Doing street tacos tonight so plenty of fresh veggies to go with the chicken I started marinating last night.

2. Breakfast at Farmers Market. A Thai BBQ company was there selling these smoked pork breakfast bowls with Jasmine rice, some Thai spices, some veggies, and a fried egg on the top. Holy Hell this was good.

3. The better Quik Trip for a big phat coke

4. Mexican taquerio for fresh tortillas. There was a Closed sign on the door. But us regulars know to peek in and knock, where they were already at work making torillas. I swear, we got the first 30 off the line. Nice and hot - we nailed a couple on the drive home.

Now, just chilling in the driveway. Gonna watch the Royals, Champions League final, and Sporting KC today and into this evening. Plenty of beers and good food and friends coming over.

And most importantly, thank you to our veterans who have served and lost their lives to provide me the freedom to do all of the above and more. I will always be indebted to you. God Bless.

Have a good weekend folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep

Frankly, I have no desire to run another race right now. I'd rather just get healthy and not worry about training for running. Although I am doing a 10k in June, it's a local thing organized by a friend.  But tri, is awesome. I'll do this one, a sprint in July and an oly in August. All local.
In my running days, I looked at the upcoming race calendar a lot. In cycling, there aren't nearly as many events and certainly not with covid so I really don't have any events on the calendar to aspire to. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. With races, I would definitely run on days that I probably should have rested. Nowadays I easily forgive myself for taking a day off since there is no plan to deviate from. It's definitely less stressful. 

Got up early today and knocked out a nice slow 10 mile. Man, I needed that desperately. After:

1. Farmers Market. Loaded up on some good stuff. Doing street tacos tonight so plenty of fresh veggies to go with the chicken I started marinating last night.

2. Breakfast at Farmers Market. A Thai BBQ company was there selling these smoked pork breakfast bowls with Jasmine rice, some Thai spices, some veggies, and a fried egg on the top. Holy Hell this was good.

3. The better Quik Trip for a big phat coke

4. Mexican taquerio for fresh tortillas. There was a Closed sign on the door. But us regulars know to peek in and knock, where they were already at work making torillas. I swear, we got the first 30 off the line. Nice and hot - we nailed a couple on the drive home.

Now, just chilling in the driveway. Gonna watch the Royals, Champions League final, and Sporting KC today and into this evening. Plenty of beers and good food and friends coming over.

And most importantly, thank you to our veterans who have served and lost their lives to provide me the freedom to do all of the above and more. I will also be indebted to you. God Bless.

Have a good weekend folks.
Smoked bowls means something different than when I was in high school. 

I assume you're getting snipped?

My daughter was born 17 months after my vasectomy. Yes, she's mine.

Good luck with your operation!!
Our oldest was the condom not doing its job and the other 2 were successful first efforts, so we've been joking for years that I'll be the one to beat the operation when the kids are all teenagers. 

My 16yo is getting into the gym now. We got him a summer membership.

This is a kid who has never been interested in sports, but now that he's 16 he even admits that his interest now is vanity. (Girls?) 

Do any of you have an app or other program for a beginner getting into weights? He doesn't want to do couch to 5k, but probably add 5-10 lbs of muscle this summer. He's slightly underweight now.
Stronglifts 5x5 has a good app and is a good place to start for a beginner. It's basic barbell stuff.

Goose  island means something different in Chicago. I had to read that three times before I realized you aren't doing a brewery tour. 
That seems like a lot better plan.

And I actually trained for that one. 🍻

It's going to be very dependent on comfort.  But, I pushed harder at 12 days post surgery and did a pretty full on hard run 18 days post surgery.

-OZ- said:
57° here. No rain

Tomorrow I think will be the second coldest tri I've done. Start time will be around 52°. The water has been 84°, so not wetsuit legal but maybe it dips just enough 🤞 I'm not sure if they have strippers there, as it's a small event.  

2 years ago this one was in the 90s by the time we got to the run, which was miserable. 

Should be fun. 
Go get 'em, oz!

Another 48 and rainy this am. More rain, but less wind. Out for a solo pickle.
That was cold and very wet.

Pushed my recovery run into faster just so I could get out of the weather and back indoors more quickly.

Giants gobs of Vaseline (I still haven't bought new body-glide) have kept the nips a-ok.

That was cold and very wet.

Pushed my recovery run into faster just so I could get out of the weather and back indoors more quickly.

Giants gobs of Vaseline (I still haven't bought new body-glide) have kept the nips a-ok.
You have something against bandaids?

Same, but mine have never been a problem regardless of conditions so long as they get a proper lubing beforehand.
Go on...

But yeah- same. And I think the Vaseline works better than body glide tbh...but it's been a while since I used the good stuff.

57° here. No rain

Tomorrow I think will be the second coldest tri I've done. Start time will be around 52°. The water has been 84°, so not wetsuit legal but maybe it dips just enough 🤞 I'm not sure if they have strippers there, as it's a small event.  

2 years ago this one was in the 90s by the time we got to the run, which was miserable. 

Should be fun. 
I hope the strippers didn't slow him down.

Wait.

I mean.... I hope strippers.

Started at 7 central...he might be on the bike now.

So I'm out on a trail run today.  DFW trails suck, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyways, lots of people with their dogs on these trails.  I love seeing dogs out there.  The vast majority of dogs are well-behaved.

This one group, with a German Shepherd (or Belgian Malinois, can never the difference), is walking toward me (as I run toward them) along the trail, and this short woman, maybe-120lbs-soaking-wet, sees me coming and immediately strengthens her grip on the dog's leash.  Digs her feet in as well.  She gets low for leverage, really girding herself for a struggle.

The trail is tight, but as I approach, the dog just goes ape####.  Growling, snarling, teeth, barking, etc.  Full aggression.  Chickie is really fighting to hold the dog in place.

I go way wide on the trail (off-trail and into the brush, actually), and it's one of the few times I've been legit afraid of a dog when running.  I'm shocked the chick could hold the dog back.  If she couldn't, I'm pretty sure I'd have some very serious injuries right now.

So, just after I pass, I turn back and yell to her "you really shouldn't have a dog like that on the trail".  She totally ignores me and keeps walking.  No apologies or anything.

What if I had approached the group from behind and she wasn't ready?  ####.

So I'm out on a trail run today.  DFW trails suck, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyways, lots of people with their dogs on these trails.  I love seeing dogs out there.  The vast majority of dogs are well-behaved.

This one group, with a German Shepherd (or Belgian Malinois, can never the difference), is walking toward me (as I run toward them) along the trail, and this short woman, maybe-120lbs-soaking-wet, sees me coming and immediately strengthens her grip on the dog's leash.  Digs her feet in as well.  She gets low for leverage, really girding herself for a struggle.

The trail is tight, but as I approach, the dog just goes ape####.  Growling, snarling, teeth, barking, etc.  Full aggression.  Chickie is really fighting to hold the dog in place.

I go way wide on the trail (off-trail and into the brush, actually), and it's one of the few times I've been legit afraid of a dog when running.  I'm shocked the chick could hold the dog back.  If she couldn't, I'm pretty sure I'd have some very serious injuries right now.

So, just after I pass, I turn back and yell to her "you really shouldn't have a dog like that on the trail".  She totally ignores me and keeps walking.  No apologies or anything.

What if I had approached the group from behind and she wasn't ready?  ####.
Why are you holding back her freedom?

2-PACK Mr. Nipple Hide & Protect Care (Mens' Nipple Hide & Care System)/50 pair (100 pieces) nipple cover for men https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS7YAE6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V4GZ3TEPFB6X061C99B3

These are amazing for when I decide to wear a shirt on a run.
I love these babies for when I know it's going to rain. Body Glide doesn't seem to hold up in the rain for me. I hope one day to have a body as hot as JShare's so that I can confidently run with my shirt off.

Maybe I should just go for it. Is running with you shirt on like getting in the pool with a shirt on when you're a kid? Asking for a friend.

Get you some @-OZ-!
Just finished. Overall I'm pleased. Windy, so the swim was choppy. Legs felt great on the bike but I definitely felt the lack of endurance. Felt surprisingly decent on the run, but then the legs wouldn't move. I had no delusions here but wanted sub 6 which I got (5:34:17) And I ACTUALLY RAN THE RIGHT COURSE :excited:

Oh, 2nd place in the 45-49 AG

Just finished. Overall I'm pleased. Windy, so the swim was choppy. Legs felt great on the bike but I definitely felt the lack of endurance. Felt surprisingly decent on the run, but then the legs wouldn't move. I had no delusions here but wanted sub 6 which I got (5:34:17) And I ACTUALLY RAN THE RIGHT COURSE :excited:

Oh, 2nd place in the 45-49 AG
Noice!!!

I love these babies for when I know it's going to rain. Body Glide doesn't seem to hold up in the rain for me. I hope one day to have a body as hot as JShare's so that I can confidently run with my shirt off.

Maybe I should just go for it. Is running with you shirt on like getting in the pool with a shirt on when you're a kid? Asking for a friend.
In the summer, yes

In the winter too 🤔

Good enough to push the last couple. Tried to keep it easy and slow for the start and happy with how it went considering how things have been going up until lately. 

Question is how will things feel this week. So let's see....
Seriously amazing stuff.

I've been finding that 15 is a real threshold for me...been very hard to push past that. So impressed with your run today on all fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread