Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Ned

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Just got back from the grocery.  It's on.   One glass a morning through my 5K and then I'll decide from there.  I'm totally comfortable with red pee.  (There is  even a warning on the bottle.)

In that article it said that gal took a shot or two a day.

Is a full glass too much?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Just got back from the grocery.  It's on.   One glass a morning through my 5K and then I'll decide from there.  I'm totally comfortable with red pee.  (There is  even a warning on the bottle.)

I had a bottle of ‘beet performer’ handed to me after a race one time. I liked it so much it became my strava pic. Let us know how your experiment goes, I am all for adding shots of beet juice to my workout & race days.  Will look around next time I’m at the hippy dippy grocery store. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

In that article it said that gal took a shot or two a day.

Is a full glass too much?

That's a shot/day of CONCENTRATED beet juice. You need a lot more of the regular stuff. I ordered a 15-pack of Beet It shots from Amazon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Nike Vaporfly shoes: $240

Two Huma gels: $4

Bottle of beet juice: $3

Performance of a lifetime: Priceless

Not that crazy of an idea ...

Nike outlet here had the vapor flys for $40

maybe that explains my run yesterday 

meta - the project 2 high end vapors

Edited by BassNBrew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'll put a huge cooler of beet juice in the van. We will play Michael Jackson all day long. We can go far with this.

I got $50 for the first one of you who during their trail leg pulls over, whips it out, and pees bright red in front of the other competitors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like the beet juice topic has already been, well, beeten to death.

As for the caffeine abstinence, that's something I only do before 100s so that I can use it during the overnight hours and get an increased effect.  During other races I will wait until the latter stages of the race to use it, either in gels, caffeinated sports drink, or just the magical elixir of the gods at an aid station.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What did you guys do to me? Went out for a run at lunch today on what should feel like a perfect running day. It was like 50 degrees tops when I went out. Had on a pair of shorts and a long sleeve typical "running shirt" - swag from a previous turkey run... And I was freaking roasting out there! That's not right, people. Not right at all! I have only gone outside some of the time during the winter. Today should not have seemed hot! 

It was nice to be out, need my sun glasses, do a slowerish run and all but it should have felt perfect... Damn you all!

:D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chat with Gian has me posting my plan for the next couple weeks here to make sure it's a reasonable plan for me with 2.5 weeks to go... 

This week: fast 5k Monday (hoping May race will accept a strava virtual race for seeding), 6 easier miles today and tomorrow, 12 on Saturday in the low to mid 8's

next week: 3 easyish runs of 5 or 6 miles next week and an easyish 8 on Saturday.

last week: 2 or 3 easyish runs of 4 to 5 miles and then race day Saturday, 30th.

sound? Needs adjustment? Thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also... With 2.5 weeks to go, what's the plan that gets me to meet some of the great folks here that have inspired me in numerous ways?  Haven't exactly looked at the schedule but assuming I will be leaving work early to pick up my packet sometime Friday afternoon. I'd be open to doing something that afternoon/evening and/or a beer after the races. And will it involve chief doing a live performance of his chart topping hit? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2019 at 1:50 PM, gruecd said:

If true, it sucks, because 7-10 miles is literally my favorite distance when I'm just "going for a run"...

Late to the party, but I think there is some fueling changes that happen around this point. Like you have gone through your initial glycogen and you need to replenish or bonk sort of thing.

My anecdotal observation is that after this amount of time you need to take in some energy. For me like 200-300 calories an hour. If I don’t fuel right I won’t be able to maintain  2, 3, 4 ... N hours of output necessary to complete the event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Zasada said:

Yikes, same up here in Canada.  Maybe I'll give a few a try for special occasions.

I see some come with caffeine.  What's the thinking behind that?  Is caffeine good for performance or bad?  I always thought of it as a diuretic (and thus bad).  

Caffeine is amazing. When taken i moderation is helps with focus and performance. There is a ton of research on it in the googles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, this is directed mostly at @-OZ-, @tri-man 47, and @JAA:

I was looking for a tune-up race that's built into the plan I'm doing and I found an interesting race in late April.  It's a duathlon that can be done as a relay.  It's not a huge race, but it involves a 1.5 mile run, then a 12 mile bike ride, and then a 1.5 mile run.  I was going to see if my workout friend (who has done lots of tris) would do the bike portion but he won't be able to as he's having knee surgery next week.  But, he suggested I take one of his bikes and we go out riding a few times and that I just do it all myself.

Now, I know how to ride a bike inasmuch as I owned a bike as a kid and I've rented bikes on vacation to casually ride around in.  That's the extent of my riding experience.  I know absolutely nothing about bike racing or even riding a bike with any sort of speed.  The 12 miles are flat and he said it would be pretty easy for me to knock out.

Would I be nuts to give this a go or might it be fun?  He's changing out the pedals so I can just ride it in my regular shoes.  This is the event

It would serve as my 5K race. 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

What do you think about beet juice? The week of my marathon last year I bought some (actually an apple/beet juice mixture) mainly just for carb calories but also because I’d remembered reading about beet juice helping endurance.  I even had a glass marathon morning. I have no idea if that helped but I’m considering doing a lot of the same things as last year since that race went well.  Perhaps store bought stuff wouldn’t be that effective since I’m not juicing my own fresh beets or something.

 Edit: Maybe I should find my old juicer out of the closet, bring it to the hotel and @ChiefD @gruecd @The Iguana and I can all do shots before the race.

I just started beet root powder (with baca and Gatorade endurance) as a pre and during workout drink. I’m only like 2 weeks in, I’m going to give it a month or 2 and see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Alright, this is directed mostly at @-OZ-, @tri-man 47, and @JAA:

I was looking for a tune-up race that's built into the plan I'm doing and I found an interesting race in late April.  It's a duathlon that can be done as a relay.  It's not a huge race, but it involves a 1.5 mile run, then a 12 mile bike ride, and then a 1.5 mile run.  I was going to see if my workout friend (who has done lots of tris) would do the bike portion but he won't be able to as he's having knee surgery next week.  But, he suggested I take one of his bikes and we go out riding a few times and that I just do it all myself.

Now, I know how to ride a bike inasmuch as I owned a bike as a kid and I've rented bikes on vacation to casually ride around in.  That's the extent of my riding experience.  I know absolutely nothing about bike racing or even riding a bike with any sort of speed.  The 12 miles are flat and he said it would be pretty easy for me to knock out.

Would I be nuts to give this a go or might it be fun?  He's changing out the pedals so I can just ride it in my regular shoes.  This is the event

It would serve as my 5K race. 

It will be fun if you don’t take it seriously. If you take it seriously the bike portion won’t be fun. 

The second triathlon I did was the Lake George Olympic. On the bike I was being passed by people, who when I looked at them, I didn’t think they should be passing me. That led me to start over-trying. That lead to me blowing up my hamstrings. When I got to the run, the part I was most prepped for, I couldn’t stride due to my hamstrings. I jogged the 10k not exerting at all while feeling like my hamstrings were going to pop off my leg.

You will have a blast if you allow yourself to.

I’ve been riding for like 3 years. I still stink riding, like below average. Sometimes it’s painful as you want to compare yourself to other people, but while those people aren’t  training 10+ hours a week, they have been riding hard for 10+ years. Biking is not an event you just be good at one day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JAA said:

I just started beet root powder (with baca and Gatorade endurance) as a pre and during workout drink. I’m only like 2 weeks in, I’m going to give it a month or 2 and see. 

It has some other benefits too...or so I'm told.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

Also... With 2.5 weeks to go, what's the plan that gets me to meet some of the great folks here that have inspired me in numerous ways?  Haven't exactly looked at the schedule but assuming I will be leaving work early to pick up my packet sometime Friday afternoon. I'd be open to doing something that afternoon/evening and/or a beer after the races. And will it involve chief doing a live performance of his chart topping hit? 

My friend and I are having dinner at a local Italian joint at 6pm. I'd be down for a little meet-up beforehand or afterwards at the Renaissance. Race day always seems to be a crap shoot...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Alright, this is directed mostly at @-OZ-, @tri-man 47, and @JAA:

I was looking for a tune-up race that's built into the plan I'm doing and I found an interesting race in late April.  It's a duathlon that can be done as a relay.  It's not a huge race, but it involves a 1.5 mile run, then a 12 mile bike ride, and then a 1.5 mile run.  I was going to see if my workout friend (who has done lots of tris) would do the bike portion but he won't be able to as he's having knee surgery next week.  But, he suggested I take one of his bikes and we go out riding a few times and that I just do it all myself.

Now, I know how to ride a bike inasmuch as I owned a bike as a kid and I've rented bikes on vacation to casually ride around in.  That's the extent of my riding experience.  I know absolutely nothing about bike racing or even riding a bike with any sort of speed.  The 12 miles are flat and he said it would be pretty easy for me to knock out.

Would I be nuts to give this a go or might it be fun?  He's changing out the pedals so I can just ride it in my regular shoes.  This is the event

It would serve as my 5K race. 

@JAA is exactly right. 

Do it, have fun with it. Don't expect to keep up with the crowd during the bike. Don't worry about keeping up with the crowd. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by serving as your 5k, but these are very different races. Although the pain you feel during a 5k is probably similar. This will be practically three sprints to some. 

You can have fun with it for sure, just embrace that (no offense) you'll probably suck ;)

Oh, and it's a gateway to tri. So do it!  Then buy yourself a "real" bike :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This spring is kicking my ###, allergy wise. I've been taking the normal meds but I'm congested and feel like ####. 

I'm scheduled to visit Memphis Sunday but if I have a cough and runny nose like this, even if it's allergies and not sickness, I won't be allowed on the transplant floor. Totally makes sense, the patients there have no immune system. But I've got to get over this thing now. 

Skipping my ten Mile race Saturday, it's a free one with the local running club. But I had forgotten that my oldest two head to a 4 day volunteer thing Friday, leaving me with my 10 and 8 year olds. Don't think I can leave them home by themselves and I'm not asking anyone to watch them for a minor race.

 

:rant: over. 

Edited by -OZ-
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got some new running shtick a couple of weeks ago. Had a new neighbor move in a few months ago, so a couple of weeks ago they apparently got around to installing security cameras all around the house.

They then added this sign in the front that says something like: "Video Surveillance In Use". So I've located all the cameras on the house. They have some in the front and then one on a side driveway (they are a corner lot).

So every time I run by, which is almost everyday for this house, I've made sure to turn toward the camera and do something. I wave, make funny faces, give gang signs, grab my nuts - whatever feels right at the moment.

Gives me a chuckle. 

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, gruecd said:

PS: Apparently this stuff tastes awful 

Beet It Review:

Served chilled at perhaps 40 degrees and poured into some regular old glass that was in my cupboard.

Look: 5/5.  Nice beety, dark red.  Quite pleasing to the eye.  

Smell: 2/5.  Earthy.  Smells very much like beets.  Not unpleasant but not something that smells like you want to drink.

Taste: 2/5.  Tastes like cold beets.  A bit of an aftertaste.

Feel: 3/5.  Full-bodied but goes down smooth if you don't focus on the taste.

Overall: 2.5/5.  Would not recommend.

 

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I'll put a huge cooler of beet juice in the van. We will play Michael Jackson all day long. We can go far with this.

While waiting for a runner to arrive, we can all red-pee together off to the side of the trail.

[Ghostbusters] "Don't cross the streams" [/Ghostbusters]

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

Beet It Review:

Served chilled at perhaps 40 degrees and poured into some regular old glass that was in my cupboard.

Look: 5/5.  Nice beety, dark red.  Quite pleasing to the eye.  

Smell: 2/5.  Earthy.  Smells very much like beets.  Not unpleasant but not something that smells like you want to drink.

Taste: 2/5.  Tastes like cold beets.  A bit of an aftertaste.

Feel: 3/5.  Full-bodied but goes down smooth if you don't focus on the taste.

Overall: 2.5/5.  Would not recommend.

 

How much did you pay for your juice?  Mine cost $4.99 for 14 ounces and I drank about half of it last night.  Your description matches my experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking for a bit of help. As I’ve discussed before, my Sciatica bothers me on a daily basis. I run through the pain without issues most days. I’ve been having what I thought was Tibial Tendinitis or Shin Splints. It turns out, that is not why my issue is/was. The pain is on the outside portion of the lower leg. This is not common with Shin Splints or Tibial Tendonitis.

It flares up every once and a while. Sometimes, after a long run or race, the pain is extreme. The pain lasts for a few days, to the point I cannot walk without pain. The pain generally goes away after a few days. More recently, 3 weeks ago, I ran and the pain happened. However, this pain lasted over 2 weeks. I did not run for 14 days until I was pain free. My 1st attempt was a 3 miler. After a mile the pain came back, and by the time I finished it was severe. 

I started to do more research because I didn’t understand why this was happening. It turns out that it is Extensor Tendonitis. The issue is with my Extensor Digitorum Longus. This tendon controls the 4 smaller toes. I am starting to think this is happening because of my Sciatica. The reseason I say this is because my big toe goes numb and doesn’t work. So I think my running form is/has been all f*cked up from my Sciatica and for some reason is causing this tendon to inflame during every run. Anyone ever have this issue or know how to fix it? I’ve seen people recommend loosening up the shoes, that isn’t an issue. I’m wondering if I can tape my toes together in some form or fashion, so I can take stress off this tendon. Would love to be able to participate in our relay race.

Edited by JShare87
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

Looking for a bit of help. As I’ve discussed before, my Sciatica bothers me on a daily basis. I run through the pain without issues most days. I’ve been having what I thought was Tibial Tendinitis or Shin Splints. It turns out, that is not why my issue is/was. The pain is on the outside portion of the lower leg. This is not common with Shin Splints or Tibial Tendonitis.

It flares up every once and a while. Sometimes, after a long run or race, the pain is extreme. The pain lasts for a few days, to the point I cannot walk without pain. The pain generally goes away after a few days. More recently, 3 weeks ago, I ran and the pain happened. However, this pain lasted over 2 weeks. I did not run for 14 days until I was pain free. My 1st attempt was a 3 miler. After a mile the pain came back, and by the time I finished it was severe. 

I started to do more research because I didn’t understand why this was happening. It turns out that it is Extensor Tendonitis. The issue is with my Extensor Digitorum Longus. This tendon controls the 4 smaller toes. I am starting to think this is happening because of my Sciatica. The reseason I say this is because my big toe goes numb and doesn’t work. So I think my running form is/has been all f*cked up from my Sciatica and for some reason is causing this tendon to inflame during every run. Anyone ever have this issue or know how to fix it? I’ve seen people recommend loosening up the shoes, that isn’t an issue. I’m wondering if I can tape my toes together in some form or fashion, so I can take stress off this tendon. Would love to be able to participate in our relay race.

I know we've gone over this and I know you've tried with one other person, but you really need to get that sciatica addressed.  At this point, it's interfering with your overall comfort and ability to run.  It's not something to fight through indefinitely.  I would search out other providers until you find one you are comfortable with and can answer your questions and give you options.  I know you don't have much faith in the medical community but even if it means traveling outside of where you live to see someone (i.e. maybe Orlando or Miami), then I strongly recommend you do so. 

ETA -- And it really sucks.  Hate to see you have to go through this.

Also, I know you've already expressed no interest in surgery.  But you are way too young to deal with this for decades if that ends up being the option to fix this once and for all.  I look forward to the day when you look back and say "why did I wait so long?".

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...