What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

It is a tough spot to be in. I can relate to what he is feeling. When I went through my first marathon attempt, I was in his shoes. Everyone in here told me not to attempt it. While I knew they were coming from a good place, my ultra-competitive side took over. It was more of a, “I’m going to prove these people wrong.” What did I learn from that experience? They were right. I was wrong. I was an idiot. They meant well.
So, @The Iguana, don’t take everyone’s advice about starting out slow as us doubting your ability. Take it as advice from people that have experienced this beast of a race. You are absolutely going to crush this race. Just start out slow and enjoy the first few miles like it’s a long training run. When you get to that mile 20-22 mark and you feel okay, you are going to enjoy the experience of passing all the people that went out too fast. 
This is a well timed and well worded post. I have set my mind that I will be staying with the pace group until at least 20, most likely considerably longer. I :know: everyone is on my side here and I am listening, but it would be a lie if I did I had none of the thoughts above floating in my head. The thoughts aren't bad, imo, as long as I don't overreact on them - if that makes sense. In other words, as long as they just help motivate me and I don't do something stupid. 

As I've said often, I love this group and the support. I do listen and even follow directions many times. 

6 days! 

:thumbup:

I spoke a little soon. It was perfect at 8, I'm closer to the race right now (1st Ave & 35th, below the 59th St bridge crossover), and a pretty good wind has kicked up. Hopefully not enough to mess with our hero, triplethreat.
Looks like he just started a couple of minutes ago. I didn't realize that race started so late.

Joyciline Jepkosgei beats Mary Keitany for the women's win and misses the course record by 7 seconds...in her debut marathon.  :shock:

Looks like he just started a couple of minutes ago. I didn't realize that race started so late.
My Sunday run goes by the Staten island ferry- the main way to get to the race start. I thought/remembered the race started between 8-9 and we surprised to see racers non-chalantly still walking to the ferry at 8:30-9 when we ran by.

I guess for this kind of thing, I was always a get there early guy. 

And it's been noticeable in the city just how many marathoner tourists there have been- Friday morning they were everywhere doing their loosen up run durimg rush hour. 

Thanks for the well wishes! 
Abbreviated report

Tape insole shoe match was good for 12 miles. Race really got my attention then. 
Mile 20 got a bourbon hand up. 
21 felt something give on the bottom my foot. 
Saw my family 5x. 
I’m sore AF!  lol

its an amazing race. I can’t help but think about what would’ve been if I was able to do any training after the first weekend in September. 

I’ll do a BMF recap this week  

Don't remember if I posted this already or not, but I've got my usual tiered goals again for Saturday:

A goal:  2:56-2:57

B goal:  sub-2:59:25 (PR)

C goal:  sub-3

Plan right now is to run with the 3:00 pacer for the first 10K (to make sure I don't go out too fast again), and then hopefully settle into 6:40-6:45 pace the rest of the way.  If everything goes as planned, I'll run about a 1-minute negative split -- around 1:28:48 for the first half and 1:27:42 for the second. 

Definitely gonna keep a close eye on that pacer, though.  Last year I remember taking the turn south onto Meridian around mile 24 and being on pace to finish sub-3, and the 3-hour pace group was ahead of me.  If this dude is trying to bank time in the beginning, then there's obviously no point in me running with him.

For anyone who wants to track, you can download the CNO Monumental Marathon app.  I'm bib #1109.

Don't remember if I posted this already or not, but I've got my usual tiered goals again for Saturday:

Plan right now is to run with the 3:00 pacer for the first 10K (to make sure I don't go out too fast again), and then hopefully settle into 6:40-6:45 pace the rest of the way.  If everything goes as planned, I'll run about a 1-minute negative split -- around 1:28:48 for the first half and 1:27:42 for the second. 

Definitely gonna keep a close eye on that pacer, though.  Last year I remember taking the turn south onto Meridian around mile 24 and being on pace to finish sub-3, and the 3-hour pace group was ahead of me.  If this dude is trying to bank time in the beginning, then there's obviously no point in me running with him.

For anyone who wants to track, you can download the CNO Monumental Marathon app.  I'm bib #1109.
Good luck.

I think @The Iguana is running the same race, but not sure.

Looks like a good plan, I forget do you wear a paceband?  For me a pacer can be helpful but I need the paceband so I know exactly where I am in relationship to my plan.

And for the record:

A goal: sub 3:40

B goal: #beatgrue - sub 3:45

C goal: don't die; finish; really, really bummed if it is over 4:00. 

Plan is to run with the 3:40 pace group forever. 

I still recall running the race last year and getting to the split for the half/full just past the 7 mile mark and thinking all the people that weren't turning left were nuts... Still true, IMO!

Looks like a good plan, I forget do you wear a paceband?  For me a pacer can be helpful but I need the paceband so I know exactly where I am in relationship to my plan.
What's a paceband? I assume something like the little playbook wrist thing QBs wear? Pretty sure that's cheating. You have to do the math in your head or it doesn't count!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread