What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

In keeping with the general awesomeness around here, I just crushed a 45-min Peloton workout.  Total output 692kj over 45 minutes, almost 8% more than my previous PR (641).  Average output 256 watts.  I know @-OZ- and @JAA and some of the other cycling guys will appreciate that.  Had fears of dying at the end.

ETA:  I was planning to run an easy 6 recovery later.  Not sure that's going to happen...
Thanks for the motivation.  🚴

That's a good deal for the app, but man, the bike is soooooo worth it.  I was skeptical when Mrs. Grue said that she wanted to buy one (and I was kinda right about her barely using it), but man, I love that thing.  The equipment itself is top-notch, and the quality of the programming sets it apart.  I just hope it's not too long before they can get back in the studio and start producing new content again...

ETA:  The instructors aren't bad to look at, either...
Our showed up earlier today. I am going to spin it later. ####er is heavy. 

@Dr_Zaius great job, you have some real natural ability. Fast 5k with relatively low mileage. 
Thanks! 

Yeah, I am definitely on the lower end mileage-wise, mainly as a life balance choice.  My thought has always been that I will reevaluate as the kids move out, potentially making a BQ push when the AGs get easier.  In the meantime, I try to make up a bit for the low totals by at least staying consistent.

Dr_Zaius said:
Thanks! 

Yeah, I am definitely on the lower end mileage-wise, mainly as a life balance choice.  My thought has always been that I will reevaluate as the kids move out, potentially making a BQ push when the AGs get easier.  In the meantime, I try to make up a bit for the low totals by at least staying consistent.
Im missing this in my strava feed, can someone point me to your Strava handle?

Team member ....projected ....actual

Team Juxt: Cap'n Juxt..
MAC...............16:59
Dr. Z................20:20 .....19:45
SteelCurtain...21:20 .....20:00
tri-man............21:45
xulf..................21:50
Zasada............21:55
JAA..................22:10.....20:54
Iquana.............22:49
El Floppo.........23:00
AlexPKeaton...26:00
SFBayDuck......29:59 .....DNS

Team Grue: Cap'n Grue..18:10
pbm.................18:00 .....18:04
Harris...............19:45
Brony................20:25
Oz.....................21:40 .....20:07
bushdocta........21:30.....20:19
gianmarco........22:00 .....DNS
mrs. gian..........22:30
Say What?........22:30
JShare..............24:00 .....DNS
ChiefD...............25:30
BassnBrew.......30:00 .....DNS

Last edited by a moderator:
Team member ....projected ....actual

Team Juxt: Cap'n Juxt..
MAC...............16:59
Dr. Z................20:20 .....19:45
SteelCurtain...21:20 .....20:00
tri-man............21:45
xulf..................21:50
Zasada............21:55
JAA..................22:10.....20:54
Iquana.............22:49
El Floppo.........23:00
AlexPKeaton...26:00
SFBayDuck......29:59 .....DNS

Team Grue: Cap'n Grue..18:10
pbm.................18:00 .....18:04
Harris...............19:45
Brony................20:25
Oz.....................21:40 .....20:07
bushdocta........21:30.....20:19
gianmarco........22:00 .....DNS
mrs. gian..........22:30
Say What?........22:30
JShare..............24:00 .....DNS
ChiefD..............  ? 
BassnBrew.......30:00 .....DNS
You can put my projected at 25:30

By the way, this about sums it up for me:

Me: Hey, mind if I go run?  This is the weekend I’m supposed to run that 5K for the FBG competition.  You can run it as many times as you’d like, so I’m thinking I should go try tonight.  In the event I bomb, then I could try again on Sunday.

Mrs SayWhat?:  Don’t hurt yourself.  

:lmao:

By the way, this about sums it up for me:

Me: Hey, mind if I go run?  This is the weekend I’m supposed to run that 5K for the FBG competition.  You can run it as many times as you’d like, so I’m thinking I should go try tonight.  In the event I bomb, then I could try again on Sunday.

Mrs SayWhat?:  Don’t hurt yourself.  

:lmao:
I talked to my wife about doing the 4/4/48, her response was a little bit different

You guys still wanna Zoom tomorrow night? What time is good for everyone?
I'm playing poker at 8 (est). If you guys zoom sooner I'd like to join, but if later works for the whole please don't plan around me. My day is kinda up in the air tomorrow because I don't know when or if I'm racing. I'd feel bad if you guys zoom early then I end up not making it. 

DNF.

An overzealous 6:35 first mile with some terrible planning of the first two miles into a headwind.  Pulled the rip cord at about 1.3 miles and finished up mile 2.  Fat guy needs to ease up at the start he thinks.

Take two TBD.   :kicksrock:

Great job, crazy that you had your 2nd fastest 5k all things considered.
I did have a downhill, but yeah, 5 seconds off my PR.

And now the Mrs. is excited and wants to set a PR tomorrow.  So I'm going to pace her for the first mile and let her go.  Or maybe keep running with her, who knows.

ETA -- And I came out WAY too hot.  I looked down and saw like 6:45 after almost half a mile and I thought "wtf am I doing?".  If I ran smarter I might have done a little better.

Oh, and I texted a couple from here, but I think I figured out my knee thing.  Which is crazy and stupid that I've missed time if this is all it was, but....

I naturally pronate my foot significantly.  When you look at me from behind, my ankles turn inward and I wear the inside of my soles substantially more than the outside.  Well, yesterday during my short run, I suddenly realized I was running on the outside of my feet.  And I couldn't remember if I always ran that way or not.  @pbm107 asked on Strava if the knee pain was better and it wasn't.  It came back again after 1 mile.  But I started running fast and it felt better.  When I slowed down, it came back and for the last tenth of a mile I had that epiphany and made sure I pronated my foot while running (which I think I've always done anyway).  And the pain went away. 

So today I made sure I ran with my feet pronated and I had no pain whatsoever.  We will see if it holds tomorrow and beyond, but if that's the case, then it's an easy fix.  I'm not sure why or how or when I ever changed how I was striking except I wonder if it was some of the new shoes I got that were forcing me to land on the outside.  I wore the Nike Zoomflys for the run today and they do feel like they want to push me toward an outside of the foot landing and I had to work against that. 

We shall see, but I'm almost happier (and pissed) about that than the 5K result itself.

Oh, and I texted a couple from here, but I think I figured out my knee thing.  Which is crazy and stupid that I've missed time if this is all it was, but....

I naturally pronate my foot significantly.  When you look at me from behind, my ankles turn inward and I wear the inside of my soles substantially more than the outside.  Well, yesterday during my short run, I suddenly realized I was running on the outside of my feet.  And I couldn't remember if I always ran that way or not.  @pbm107 asked on Strava if the knee pain was better and it wasn't.  It came back again after 1 mile.  But I started running fast and it felt better.  When I slowed down, it came back and for the last tenth of a mile I had that epiphany and made sure I pronated my foot while running (which I think I've always done anyway).  And the pain went away. 

So today I made sure I ran with my feet pronated and I had no pain whatsoever.  We will see if it holds tomorrow and beyond, but if that's the case, then it's an easy fix.  I'm not sure why or how or when I ever changed how I was striking except I wonder if it was some of the new shoes I got that were forcing me to land on the outside.  I wore the Nike Zoomflys for the run today and they do feel like they want to push me toward an outside of the foot landing and I had to work against that. 

We shall see, but I'm almost happier (and pissed) about that than the 5K result itself.
Just for clarification — this is NOT a race report

DNF.

An overzealous 6:35 first mile with some terrible planning of the first two miles into a headwind.  Pulled the rip cord at about 1.3 miles and finished up mile 2.  Fat guy needs to ease up at the start he thinks.

Take two TBD.   :kicksrock:

Dust yourself off and good luck on v2 this weekend.  You got this SW? !! 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
2020 FBG Virtual 5K Race Report

Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to running this today.  I haven't run significantly in 6 weeks.  I've run 2 miles in the last 3 weeks leading up to yesterday.  My plan was to try out the knee yesterday and if any pain to just bail.  Well, the pain was there, but as I noted above, I had a revelation and it was really mild.  So I'll be damned if I wasn't going to give it a shot.  Today was a good day to try with temps in the 40's and a wind blowing from the north.  Given my complete lack of fitness, I needed all the help I could get.  Then again, if I was fully fit, I'd have done the same thing, so whatever.....

I did absolutely no prep this week leading up to this.  I've been eating all the food the last few weeks.  I'm up to 200 lbs which is awful.  And I hadn't kept up with much stretching and didn't do the length strengthening I was supposed to.  In other words, I've felt like a fat slob.  That said, after seeing some of those runs yesterday and today fired me up a little and it was what I needed to give this a good shot.  I talked to my work buddy that I've worked out with and asked if he'd run with me to help pace since my wife was initially flaking.  So, got picked up by him and his wife and we drove to the starting spot.  Now, this guy is notoriously late (like WAY late) for everything.  I hadn't even heard from him until 3pm right as I was about to just go do it myself.  Says we'll do it at 4 and so he shows up at my house at almost 5:30.  Lovely.  No kind of meal prep or anything.  Just drive out there, I ran a quarter mile warmup while he stretched and he goes "ok, I'll just go first and then start after me a bit and catch up".  WTF.  And he takes off.  I get my watch on, phone tucked away, and LFG......

Mile 1 -- 7:03 (HR 150)

Yeah, there's no way that HR was right.  First of all, I took off like an idiot way too fast.  My pacing for this race was awful.  Most of it ended up just holding on for dear life.  My lack of fitness caught up to me toward the end.  Anyway, the biggest challenge of the route I chose was making a left onto a road across a normally "busy" street.  As I'm coming up to the intersection, there's cars both ways.  I figured I'd run past it and double back if I had to but luckily there was a break and I made it across.  I'm a half mile in and I'm huffing and puffing.  Very different than my 5K 6 weeks ago in Atlanta where I was in great shape and in control.  In that race, my legs took the beating but fitness wise I felt great.  This was the exact opposite.  Anyway, most of the mile I spent closing in on my rabbit and finally caught him around the mile mark (I think).

Mile 2 -- 7:14 (HR 167)

As I'm coming up to him, he stops and goes "go ahead, I'll catch up to you".  WTF?  Yeah, I never saw him again.  He said his calf tightened up so for the last 2.1 miles it was just me.  Glad I waited for him to start.  Anyway, after I pass him, there's a little uphill and I started to really slow down and was wondering if I was going to have anything left to finish this with even a decent time.  But once I got over the hump, I was able to get it back together and just tried to keep pace best I could.

Mile 3 -- 7:15 (HR 169)

I don't know how accurate these HR readings are but they don't feel accurate.  I was working and breathing harder this race than I have in a long time.  That said, albeit with the aid of some downhills, I'm surprised I was able to keep some of the paces I was keeping.  And, a lot of this was actually flat with a few steep downhills to account for the drops so it wasn't as helpful as I thought it might be.  Anyway, I was at the last mile and the lungs were on fire but knew it would be over in a few minutes.  I used what I've learned recently and got through it.  It helped to be able to see the finish coming up.

Mile 3.1 -- 6:39 (174)

I did what I could at the end.  Saw the 3.11 tick off, stopped the watch, and collapsed in the grass.  I was there for a good 3-4 minutes before I could move.  But man, I was thrilled with that knowing where I'm at in the scheme of things.  I'm disappointed because, with continued training, I know I was going to get well under 22 minutes.  Yet, only 5 seconds off the PR I set while in great shape?  Despite the obvious differences (hilly vs. downhill), I'll take that all day and hope it's enough to help the team.

Final -- 22:14 (7:09 pace)

1/1 overall, 1/1 in AG

Best part of it all?  I just got back home and my wife was a bit excited and now wants to break her 5K PR.  So she just changed her run to only 3 miles today.  She ran 15 miles on Wednesday so she wasn't going to try today but she's giving it a go Sunday.  :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread