Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Recommended Posts

I am ready to train for a marathon.  With no marathons really available at this point, I had an idea that may be fun for you guys here.

What if we create our own spring marathon? I’m thinking of this:

Saturday March 27, 2021

Des Plains River Trail - Chicago area. 

We start up north, and run 26.2 miles south.  Carry your own water and nutrition. Someone picks us up at the end (my wife, my brother, etc)

Who’s in? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ChiefD

    4304

  • gianmarco

    4266

  • gruecd

    3368

  • MAC_32

    3022

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

10 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I am ready to train for a marathon.  With no marathons really available at this point, I had an idea that may be fun for you guys here.

What if we create our own spring marathon? I’m thinking of this:

Saturday March 27, 2021

Des Plains River Trail - Chicago area. 

We start up north, and run 26.2 miles south.  Carry your own water and nutrition. Someone picks us up at the end (my wife, my brother, etc)

Who’s in? 

 

Depending on what happens with Boston, I'm somewhat interested.  A variation would be to make it an out-and-back (e.g., 4 x 6 mile loop) so we continually pass each other.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I am ready to train for a marathon.  With no marathons really available at this point, I had an idea that may be fun for you guys here.

What if we create our own spring marathon? I’m thinking of this:

Saturday March 27, 2021

Des Plains River Trail - Chicago area. 

We start up north, and run 26.2 miles south.  Carry your own water and nutrition. Someone picks us up at the end (my wife, my brother, etc)

Who’s in? 

 

No.

  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very successful week. Both xc practices went well and I did something of consequence at both - hill repeats at #1 and a fast finish at #2. Strength is really coming together - I began the process of splitting upper and lower body days, doing 4 total per week. So I increased strength training time to > 3 hours from a weekly norm of around 2 and bumped mpw up to 28 (from 20 give or take).

And most importantly I had a successful 10* yesterday. HR was hot, but not climbing so after 5 miles around 7:20 I cranked it up to finish with 4 sub 7 minute miles - and everything felt okay when I woke up today.

Onto the next step this week. 30+ miles. 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChiefD said:

I am ready to train for a marathon.  With no marathons really available at this point, I had an idea that may be fun for you guys here.

What if we create our own spring marathon? I’m thinking of this:

Saturday March 27, 2021

Des Plains River Trail - Chicago area. 

We start up north, and run 26.2 miles south.  Carry your own water and nutrition. Someone picks us up at the end (my wife, my brother, etc)

Who’s in? 

 

Definitely a possibility for me. I’d also recommend we do an out and back so we can see each other at least once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Depending on what happens with Boston, I'm somewhat interested.  A variation would be to make it an out-and-back (e.g., 4 x 6 mile loop) so we continually pass each other.

Or on a track. So we really continuously pass each other.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Ran my Boston marathon.  I’ve been running slow and pretty irregularly for the past couple months due to a glute strain. I’ve had one 10 mile run in the last couple months so i had no idea how it would go.

 

i decided to run easy until i couldn’t run any more.  I ran a 2:09 first half and 2:02 second half for a 4:11.  I definitely could have run faster but I’m here and my glute is seemingly ok, so that’s a win. 
 

I’m more confident of being able to pace Harrisburg marathon in November. Any chance @pbm107 would run it just to run a real race?

This is so badass.  You've been off for basically two months, and just drop a 4hr marathon with zero training.  I'm continually amazed by all the running feats of the BMFs in this thread.  Kudos.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

I’m more confident of being able to pace Harrisburg marathon in November. Any chance @pbm107 would run it just to run a real race?

I'll think about it, but I guessing that I'll pass.  For some reason I just don't have any desire to put in the work and I don't like the idea of running a marathon under-trained.

Edited by pbm107
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a good weekend. 

Saturday I was planning to do 3x Prairie Mountain, but dawdled in the am, and started a half hour later (0600) than planned.  I had promised my wife to be home by noon, and thus 3x Prairie might jeopardize that.  So I did 2x, with a longer return down the other side of the mountain.  Ran the downhill well, and got a PR on that segment.  Felt good the whole way.

Sunday, I ran a closer trail loop 2x with a friend (who is more fit than me), and made him work for the first one.  Again, got into a good rhythm and ran a pace on the loop I hadn't run since before my glute injury recurrence in June.  7th-fastest ever.  Which isn't a big deal, but it was my 7th-fastest out of 88 times I've run that loop.  

MTD I'm at 5,800m (19K ft) elevation and I finally feel like I'm starting to get my mountain legs back.

This morning I had an early flight, so I got out at 0345 to run my regular (up north version) 10K.  Felt good, right from the beginning, and ran a 5:02/km average pace (8:07/mi), with the last half all at sub-5:00/km.  Again, not a big deal by BMF standards, but I haven't had a run with that average pace since the FBG Virtual 10K.

Glute is still sore, but (butt?) it's manageable.  Temps in the 40s really helped, as well.  So nice to finish a run, and not be a sloppy sweaty mess.

Really not much to say here, I guess.  But with all the whining I do in this thread, I wanted to bring some balance to the force.

Edited by Zasada
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some random updates on my training: 

You may recall that I shut things down to zero activity during May and June.  I packed on my COVID 19 on the scales wallowing in my injury and quarantine limitations. So, when I started cycling at the start of July it was nice just to be doing something and I continue to have appreciation for any activity I can do. Since July, I've been pretty regular about bumping up the mileage and I've also added in the elliptical which is good to be able to cross train and have something for rainy days. 

Calf/knee injury wise - the bad news is that I'm still pretty sure that I won't run again. I can feel pain within a few footsteps if I try running (which I never experienced last few years).  Good news is that cycling and elliptical have pretty minimal impact on it.  I still get sore and I'm aware that the joint doesn't like to go in certain directions, but on a day-by-day basis it's minor and not getting worse as I ramp up activity levels. 

Comparing running v. cycling: If I was 100% healthy, I'd probably prefer running.  I like that there is no preparation with running - just you and the ground.  Running also is more mentally relaxing as you are rarely worrying about braking, turns etc.   But, I am finding that cycling can be more fun.  In running, if I got into groove on a long run, it was an awesome feeling.  Cycling has more of these moments - when you get the bike humming, it's a blast.   What I loved about running was the satisfaction from pushing yourself more than you thought the body was able to.  After several weeks now, I'm able to get this from the bike too. 

Another tough thing with the bike is that I have less natural ability than running, so I feel like I'm starting out as a rookie.   I'm making some good progress for me.  In July, if I had a single 5 mile lap at 20:00, I was happy that I was moving that fast.  Now, 20:00 is a disappointment that I'm not keeping pace.   Anyway, I know from running that you can drive yourself crazy having time goals, so it's much better just to have mileage aspirations knowing that times will fall.  I've also noted that in running,  lungs were always my rate limiting thing.  In biking, quads are going to flame up long before my lungs do. 

When I was running, every single activity that you saw on Strava was the maximum that my knee would allow.  Intrinsic motivation was never a limit.  Now that the knee isn't a limiter, my activities are now how much I feel like doing vs. hours allowed in my schedule.  

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 

  • Like 11
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Brony said:

Some random updates on my training: 

You may recall that I shut things down to zero activity during May and June.  I packed on my COVID 19 on the scales wallowing in my injury and quarantine limitations. So, when I started cycling at the start of July it was nice just to be doing something and I continue to have appreciation for any activity I can do. Since July, I've been pretty regular about bumping up the mileage and I've also added in the elliptical which is good to be able to cross train and have something for rainy days. 

Calf/knee injury wise - the bad news is that I'm still pretty sure that I won't run again. I can feel pain within a few footsteps if I try running (which I never experienced last few years).  Good news is that cycling and elliptical have pretty minimal impact on it.  I still get sore and I'm aware that the joint doesn't like to go in certain directions, but on a day-by-day basis it's minor and not getting worse as I ramp up activity levels. 

Comparing running v. cycling: If I was 100% healthy, I'd probably prefer running.  I like that there is no preparation with running - just you and the ground.  Running also is more mentally relaxing as you are rarely worrying about braking, turns etc.   But, I am finding that cycling can be more fun.  In running, if I got into groove on a long run, it was an awesome feeling.  Cycling has more of these moments - when you get the bike humming, it's a blast.   What I loved about running was the satisfaction from pushing yourself more than you thought the body was able to.  After several weeks now, I'm able to get this from the bike too. 

Another tough thing with the bike is that I have less natural ability than running, so I feel like I'm starting out as a rookie.   I'm making some good progress for me.  In July, if I had a single 5 mile lap at 20:00, I was happy that I was moving that fast.  Now, 20:00 is a disappointment that I'm not keeping pace.   Anyway, I know from running that you can drive yourself crazy having time goals, so it's much better just to have mileage aspirations knowing that times will fall.  I've also noted that in running,  lungs were always my rate limiting thing.  In biking, quads are going to flame up long before my lungs do. 

When I was running, every single activity that you saw on Strava was the maximum that my knee would allow.  Intrinsic motivation was never a limit.  Now that the knee isn't a limiter, my activities are now how much I feel like doing vs. hours allowed in my schedule.  

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 

I've been watching and waiting for this update.  I'm so glad to hear it.  I hate that you and others have had to go this route out of necessity instead of choice ( @Hang 10, :bye:) but it's awesome watching you improve and kick ### on it.  For me, even though this is a running thread, I find it fascinating and love to hear about it so I would say post more about how it's going.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Brony so sorry to hear about running. I assume you've gone through all medical routes and have gotten that news as official?

I hear you on all counts about biking, and really glad that's working out for you. I would say- don't be a dope about gearing up. You were never going to go running in slacks and work shoes, why bike without proper gear too? Chamois, clipless pedal...easy, obvious items that will make the experience better. Cycling shirt isn't necessary, imo (I used to swim train in loose fitting swim suit- didn't care about the drag in the water), but nice to not be flapping in the wind every ride. If you have a bizarre hangup about tighter cycling shorts, get mountain bike shorts instead- but I'd say to just get over it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

@Brony so sorry to hear about running. I assume you've gone through all medical routes and have gotten that news as official?

I hear you on all counts about biking, and really glad that's working out for you. I would say- don't be a dope about gearing up. You were never going to go running in slacks and work shoes, why bike without proper gear too? Chamois, clipless pedal...easy, obvious items that will make the experience better. Cycling shirt isn't necessary, imo (I used to swim train in loose fitting swim suit- didn't care about the drag in the water), but nice to not be flapping in the wind every ride. If you have a bizarre hangup about tighter cycling shorts, get mountain bike shorts instead- but I'd say to just get over it.

Thanks Floppo - 

I'll eventually get some of this.  Part of this stubbornness is philosophy that you don't have to spend a lot $ to enjoy an activity; part of this is genuine belief that some bikers look pretty stupid in their get-ups.  I never was into conventional "I'm a runner" look either for what it's worth.  

RE: Medical route - yep. Only potential option is to fuse the tibio-fibular joint which is likely going to cause issues at the ankle because of loss of flexibility.  

Edited by Brony
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbm107 said:

I'll think about it, but I guessing that I'll pass.  For some reason I just don't have any desire to put in the work and I don't like the idea of running a marathon under-trained.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way.  When I feel comfortable that a race that I'd like to make an "A" race will happen and I know that I will have the time to prepare, I'm in.  Until then, I'm in waiting mode.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brony said:

Some random updates on my training: 

You may recall that I shut things down to zero activity during May and June.  I packed on my COVID 19 on the scales wallowing in my injury and quarantine limitations. So, when I started cycling at the start of July it was nice just to be doing something and I continue to have appreciation for any activity I can do. Since July, I've been pretty regular about bumping up the mileage and I've also added in the elliptical which is good to be able to cross train and have something for rainy days. 

Calf/knee injury wise - the bad news is that I'm still pretty sure that I won't run again. I can feel pain within a few footsteps if I try running (which I never experienced last few years).  Good news is that cycling and elliptical have pretty minimal impact on it.  I still get sore and I'm aware that the joint doesn't like to go in certain directions, but on a day-by-day basis it's minor and not getting worse as I ramp up activity levels. 

Comparing running v. cycling: If I was 100% healthy, I'd probably prefer running.  I like that there is no preparation with running - just you and the ground.  Running also is more mentally relaxing as you are rarely worrying about braking, turns etc.   But, I am finding that cycling can be more fun.  In running, if I got into groove on a long run, it was an awesome feeling.  Cycling has more of these moments - when you get the bike humming, it's a blast.   What I loved about running was the satisfaction from pushing yourself more than you thought the body was able to.  After several weeks now, I'm able to get this from the bike too. 

Another tough thing with the bike is that I have less natural ability than running, so I feel like I'm starting out as a rookie.   I'm making some good progress for me.  In July, if I had a single 5 mile lap at 20:00, I was happy that I was moving that fast.  Now, 20:00 is a disappointment that I'm not keeping pace.   Anyway, I know from running that you can drive yourself crazy having time goals, so it's much better just to have mileage aspirations knowing that times will fall.  I've also noted that in running,  lungs were always my rate limiting thing.  In biking, quads are going to flame up long before my lungs do. 

When I was running, every single activity that you saw on Strava was the maximum that my knee would allow.  Intrinsic motivation was never a limit.  Now that the knee isn't a limiter, my activities are now how much I feel like doing vs. hours allowed in my schedule.  

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 

Good observations, I agree with all of them.  Specifically the mental relaxation part. I’ve found some routes that have long stretches of no lights/stop signs etc, much more enjoyable when I can ride without worrying about getting hit by a car.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Any recommendations for running in the dark? Do you wear lights? What are people doing? Ran in high vis clothing this morning and still had a few cars not see me.

I obviously don't know where you live, but unless I'm on the trails where it doesn't matter it's sidewalks and side streets only after dark for me. I won't wear a head lamp if I'm finishing at dusk or shortly thereafter, but if I'm going to have any significant amount of time in pitch black I will.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Any recommendations for running in the dark? Do you wear lights? What are people doing? Ran in high vis clothing this morning and still had a few cars not see me.

@gruecd, I believe, is the one that first posted this here.  We got one and it is definitely worth it.  For the winter, it got use all the time.  Wear the vest to be seen and a headlamp to see. 

It goes on sale for $39.95 frequently (was just on sale for Labor Day, actually). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brony said:

Some random updates on my training: 

You may recall that I shut things down to zero activity during May and June.  I packed on my COVID 19 on the scales wallowing in my injury and quarantine limitations. So, when I started cycling at the start of July it was nice just to be doing something and I continue to have appreciation for any activity I can do. Since July, I've been pretty regular about bumping up the mileage and I've also added in the elliptical which is good to be able to cross train and have something for rainy days. 

Calf/knee injury wise - the bad news is that I'm still pretty sure that I won't run again. I can feel pain within a few footsteps if I try running (which I never experienced last few years).  Good news is that cycling and elliptical have pretty minimal impact on it.  I still get sore and I'm aware that the joint doesn't like to go in certain directions, but on a day-by-day basis it's minor and not getting worse as I ramp up activity levels. 

Comparing running v. cycling: If I was 100% healthy, I'd probably prefer running.  I like that there is no preparation with running - just you and the ground.  Running also is more mentally relaxing as you are rarely worrying about braking, turns etc.   But, I am finding that cycling can be more fun.  In running, if I got into groove on a long run, it was an awesome feeling.  Cycling has more of these moments - when you get the bike humming, it's a blast.   What I loved about running was the satisfaction from pushing yourself more than you thought the body was able to.  After several weeks now, I'm able to get this from the bike too. 

Another tough thing with the bike is that I have less natural ability than running, so I feel like I'm starting out as a rookie.   I'm making some good progress for me.  In July, if I had a single 5 mile lap at 20:00, I was happy that I was moving that fast.  Now, 20:00 is a disappointment that I'm not keeping pace.   Anyway, I know from running that you can drive yourself crazy having time goals, so it's much better just to have mileage aspirations knowing that times will fall.  I've also noted that in running,  lungs were always my rate limiting thing.  In biking, quads are going to flame up long before my lungs do. 

When I was running, every single activity that you saw on Strava was the maximum that my knee would allow.  Intrinsic motivation was never a limit.  Now that the knee isn't a limiter, my activities are now how much I feel like doing vs. hours allowed in my schedule.  

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 

Good stuff - glad you are getting into a groove.  :thumbup:

I just have one request - don't turn into a cycling doosh who won't wave or nod back at runner's when they give a friendly wave. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brony said:

Thanks Floppo - 

I'll eventually get some of this.  Part of this stubbornness is philosophy that you don't have to spend a lot $ to enjoy an activity; part of this is genuine belief that some bikers look pretty stupid in their get-ups.  I never was into conventional "I'm a runner" look either for what it's worth.  

RE: Medical route - yep. Only potential option is to fuse the tibio-fibular joint which is likely going to cause issues at the ankle because of loss of flexibility.  

Ugh about the ankle. :(

even though I'm in an aesthetic field, I'm more about function over form for working out. But I'm also cheap and broke. Biking gear can be a bottomless money sink, but biking shorts can be had for nothing (I prefer bibs for fall/winter...but that's more bike nerdy) and will help you feel and ride better. Clipless pedals and shows can add up a bit more, but are an immediate upgrade to power production...and silent movie, slow motion fall downs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brony said:

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips

Thanks for sharing the update. Good to hear that the biking is becoming so comfortable for you.  As to the bolded, I use toe cages.  That still offers benefits, and it allows bike usage for bopping around town on occasion.  Also, it's one less thing to think about (the risk of sudden stops).  Clips are fine, and I've used them quite a bit.  But unless I'm doing long training, I'm happy with the toe cages.

@lumpy19 - I have one of those vests, and they're great ...and very visible.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

@gruecd, I believe, is the one that first posted this here.  We got one and it is definitely worth it.  For the winter, it got use all the time.  Wear the vest to be seen and a headlamp to see. 

It goes on sale for $39.95 frequently (was just on sale for Labor Day, actually). 

Perfect, thanks

The few sidewalks I can run on are so uneven its probably more dangerous than running in the road and getting hit by a car.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lumpy19 said:

Any recommendations for running in the dark? Do you wear lights? What are people doing? Ran in high vis clothing this morning and still had a few cars not see me.

 

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I obviously don't know where you live, but unless I'm on the trails where it doesn't matter it's sidewalks and side streets only after dark for me. I won't wear a head lamp if I'm finishing at dusk or shortly thereafter, but if I'm going to have any significant amount of time in pitch black I will.

 

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

@gruecd, I believe, is the one that first posted this here.  We got one and it is definitely worth it.  For the winter, it got use all the time.  Wear the vest to be seen and a headlamp to see. 

It goes on sale for $39.95 frequently (was just on sale for Labor Day, actually). 

 

I'm with MAC on the headlamp.  I don't like wearing it but will if I'm out there for awhile.  I can pick routes that have pretty decent lighting, so I usually can go without.

The Tracer vest gian posted is great.  I highly recommend it -- it makes you really visible and I feel safe running with it on.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, xulf said:

I'm with MAC on the headlamp.  I don't like wearing it but will if I'm out there for awhile.  I can pick routes that have pretty decent lighting, so I usually can go without.

The Tracer vest gian posted is great.  I highly recommend it -- it makes you really visible and I feel safe running with it on.  

@SFBayDuck is a headlamp expert.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 7:05 PM, bigbottom said:
On 9/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, krista4 said:

 

Is there any time limit on the race (I don't mean a date, but a time to "run" it)?  Wildfires willing, I'm going to be on the Oregon coast with my mom and others Sept. 23-27, and I've no doubt my 77-year-old mom would be up for doing the 10K because she's badass.

Dang that is badass indeed!  No time limit at all. There is a link to enter your time on the sign up page if you are so inclined, but it is not required. For what it’s worth, I will not be posting my pitiful 5K time. Would be cool to have you and your mom participate!  Just make sure you register her separately with her address because we’ll be mailing out the race medals and shirts in October. 

I signed up today, and not only my 77-year-old mom but my 75-year-old stepfather with reconstructed knees are signing up tomorrow, too - for the 10K!  They were happy to support this with creaky knees and everything when I told them about Chance and your family.  We'll be slow but determined.  :) 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 9:46 PM, tri-man 47 said:

Depending on what happens with Boston, I'm somewhat interested.  A variation would be to make it an out-and-back (e.g., 4 x 6 mile loop) so we continually pass each other.

Make it a one mile loop and make it a contest - each person gets a ringer (faster than them), the number of times you get lapped is the number of shots you do afterwards.

Or make it a beer marathon. A beer each time you get lapped. :suds:

Edited by -OZ-
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 9:52 AM, Brony said:

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 

Hey, welcome to the club! Always happy to have a new member!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you runners don't care but seeing as I don't run anymore I don't have anything to post in here other than childish remarks. Signed up for three virtual races this weekend on Zwift. They are calling it Haute Route Ventoux, consists of a race Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday - Petit Boucle, 37.9 miles, 1,411' of elevation. Have ridden this 3-4 times, great route except it starts at 4am.

Saturday - Ven-top, 13 miles, 5,000' of elevation. Rode it once to check the box and said I'd never do it again. 3+ hours of straight up and it sucks.

Sunday - La Reine, 14.2 miles, 3,874' of elevation. Never rode this but it it's a mirror of Ven-top just starts a little sooner and ends before you get to the top. Should really suck after the first 2.

Edited by beer 30
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, Zasada said:

@The Iguana

:missing:

Hope you're recovering well.  Would be great to see you back in here, kicking ### again.  You're my (virtual) pace rabbit!

I'm about as healthy as I get. Just have to find a way to get motivated and run consistently. Actually I've been consistently running... about once per week. :sadbanana:Need to get out there daily again and just move. Thanks for checking in.

Actually signed up for a HM trail run at the end of October that will almost certainly run (fairly small event) so I better get out there so I can do more than crawl across the finish line!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

I know you runners don't care but seeing as I don't run anymore I don't have anything to post in here other than childish remarks. Signed up for three virtual races this weekend on Zwift. They are calling it Haute Route Ventoux, consists of a race Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday - Petit Boucle, 37.9 miles, 1,411' of elevation. Have ridden this 3-4 times, great route except it starts at 4am.

Saturday - Ven-top, 13 miles, 5,000' of elevation. Rode it once to check the box and said I'd never do it again. 3+ hours of straight up and it sucks.

Sunday - La Reine, 14.2 miles, 3,874' of elevation. Never rode this but it it's a mirror of Ven-top just starts a little sooner and ends before you get to the top. Should really suck after the first 2.

What kind of bike/program are you using for these?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beer 30 said:

I know you runners don't care but seeing as I don't run anymore I don't have anything to post in here other than childish remarks. Signed up for three virtual races this weekend on Zwift. They are calling it Haute Route Ventoux, consists of a race Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday - Petit Boucle, 37.9 miles, 1,411' of elevation. Have ridden this 3-4 times, great route except it starts at 4am.

Saturday - Ven-top, 13 miles, 5,000' of elevation. Rode it once to check the box and said I'd never do it again. 3+ hours of straight up and it sucks.

Sunday - La Reine, 14.2 miles, 3,874' of elevation. Never rode this but it it's a mirror of Ven-top just starts a little sooner and ends before you get to the top. Should really suck after the first 2.

Good luck dude. You ride your bike a lot in France, almost as much as @Harris  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 7:30 AM, xulf said:

Anyone have a good headphone recommendation? 

I have been using Aftershokz Titanium and have now had 3 sets fail on me --- it all seems to be charging/electrical issues.  My first died right before the 2 year warranty, they sent me a refurbished one that lasted 4 months and died outside of the original warranty so I had to buy a new one.  The newest one lasted one month and is now dead.  I have a warranty claim in, but it's such a pain in the ### and now I'm forced to run with my wife's pink headphones (boy do I look pretty) --- oddly, she has the same brand and has had zero issues with hers.

I'm not sure if its from sweat getting into the charging slot or what, but they are also supposed to be resistant to that...or so they claim. 

I'm thinking of buying something else in addition to the replacement from the warranty, so if you got any suggestions, let me know.

I'm a Jaybird guy, specifically the Vista.  Since I normally listen to podcasts I just put in the right one, which lets me still hear what's going on around me.  It's good enough to use as my "work phone", and it's in my ear constantly while I'm puttering around the house or the yard on the weekends.

Only downside is that it's kind of easy to lose since it's so small.  And it's kind of expensive for what is essentially a single earbud.    

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, tri-man 47 said:
On 9/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, xulf said:

I'm with MAC on the headlamp.  I don't like wearing it but will if I'm out there for awhile.  I can pick routes that have pretty decent lighting, so I usually can go without.

The Tracer vest gian posted is great.  I highly recommend it -- it makes you really visible and I feel safe running with it on.  

@SFBayDuck is a headlamp expert.

If by "expert" you mean I own 6-7 different "lighting systems" then yeah, I suppose I am.

There are a ton of really lightweight headlamps out there now, way more than when I started this stuff 10-12 years ago.  The balance of battery life and brightness is something I have to consider, but if you're just using it for some pre-dawn runs then there are a ton of 200-300 lumen versions that will last 90+ minutes.  Black Diamond has some good ones, but I like Petzl as they sell a rechargeable battery pack you can use instead of AAAs.

Or get serious and blind oncoming cars and go right to the Kogalla Ra.  That thing rules.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from "vacation" up in Oregon, 10 days road tripping with the lady and the pup.  Let's just say it wasn't exactly what we had hoped for.  It started great as we finally got out of the horrible air quality/smoke we've been dealing with here for a full month now, and our first few days at the coast were beautiful.  Then the wind shifted, the fires started, trees started coming down, power went out, and the smoke rolled in.  It was a mess.  The air quality was horrible for most of Tuesday-Friday at the coast, and then we headed to Eugene where it was even worse. Nobody was outside, most stores were closed, it was brutal.  The Air Quality Index goes up to 500 officially, with 151-200 "Unhealthy", 201-300 "Very Unhealthy", and 301-500 "Hazardous".  It never got below 400 the couple of days we were there.

It was surreal - here is the beach at about 2:00 in the afternoon on what was otherwise a clear, sunny day.  This is the newly redone Hayward Field at U of O, probably the finest track and field facility in the world that has sat empty since being finished earlier this year.

The weird skies did make it look like I was using some funky Instagram filters though.  

Cooling off

Doesn't seem to bother him

 

While I was up there I also got the full breakdown from the radiologist on my MRI.

Quote

1. Two accessory ossicles (os peroneums) embedded within the peroneus longus tendon (the larger
of which measures 1 cm and the smaller of which measures 3 mm), both containing diffuse 
intense bone marrow edema, likely stress related. Clinically correlate for os peroneum 
syndrome.
2. Mild tendinosis with a thin linear interstitial split peroneus longus tendon extending from 
the level of the calcaneal body to the level of the os peroneum. Mild inframalleolar peroneus 
brevis tendinosis. Mild peroneal tenosynovitis.
3. Diffuse thickening and scarring medial cord plantar fascia at the calcaneal insertion with a
small plantar calcaneal spur containing minimal edema. These findings suggest chronic plantar
fasciitis.
4. 1st tarsometatarsal joint osteoarthritis.
5. Intact Lisfranc ligament.

I didn't even really try to run the whole time I was there, but did spend a couple of hours out on the beach every day walking.  Even that aggravated the foot, especially anytime I was in soft sand.  I dropped off the MRI results yesterday with my PT and see him again tomorrow, I'm pretty discouraged and don't see a path to running regularly again anytime soon.  I just hope that there is, in fact, a path.

Edited by SFBayDuck
  • Sad 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Two accessory ossicles (os peroneums) embedded within the peroneus longus tendon (the larger
of which measures 1 cm and the smaller of which measures 3 mm), both containing diffuse 
intense bone marrow edema, likely stress related. Clinically correlate for os peroneum 
syndrome.
2. Mild tendinosis with a thin linear interstitial split peroneus longus tendon extending from 
the level of the calcaneal body to the level of the os peroneum. Mild inframalleolar peroneus 
brevis tendinosis. Mild peroneal tenosynovitis.
3. Diffuse thickening and scarring medial cord plantar fascia at the calcaneal insertion with a
small plantar calcaneal spur containing minimal edema. These findings suggest chronic plantar
fasciitis.

4. 1st tarsometatarsal joint osteoarthritis.
5. Intact Lisfranc ligament.

 

:shock:  :cry:  :kicksrock:

Dammit, that all sounds like more-than-a-trifecta of bad news for the feet.  Really bummed to see this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

1. Two accessory ossicles (os peroneums) embedded within the peroneus longus tendon (the larger
of which measures 1 cm and the smaller of which measures 3 mm), both containing diffuse 
intense bone marrow edema, likely stress related. Clinically correlate for os peroneum 
syndrome.
2. Mild tendinosis with a thin linear interstitial split peroneus longus tendon extending from 
the level of the calcaneal body to the level of the os peroneum. Mild inframalleolar peroneus 
brevis tendinosis. Mild peroneal tenosynovitis.
3. Diffuse thickening and scarring medial cord plantar fascia at the calcaneal insertion with a
small plantar calcaneal spur containing minimal edema. These findings suggest chronic plantar
fasciitis.

4. 1st tarsometatarsal joint osteoarthritis.
5. Intact Lisfranc ligament.

 

:shock:  :cry:  :kicksrock:

Dammit, that all sounds like more-than-a-trifecta of bad news for the feet.  Really bummed to see this.

I think #5 is a good thing.  I think.  But 1-4, definitely not positive news.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

1. Two accessory ossicles (os peroneums) embedded within the peroneus longus tendon (the larger
of which measures 1 cm and the smaller of which measures 3 mm), both containing diffuse 
intense bone marrow edema, likely stress related. Clinically correlate for os peroneum 
syndrome.
2. Mild tendinosis with a thin linear interstitial split peroneus longus tendon extending from 
the level of the calcaneal body to the level of the os peroneum. Mild inframalleolar peroneus 
brevis tendinosis. Mild peroneal tenosynovitis.
3. Diffuse thickening and scarring medial cord plantar fascia at the calcaneal insertion with a
small plantar calcaneal spur containing minimal edema. These findings suggest chronic plantar
fasciitis.
4. 1st tarsometatarsal joint osteoarthritis.
5. Intact Lisfranc ligament.

Ugh.  Hoping there's a path as well.  Please keep us updated!  Most of the above is gibberish to me, maybe some of the resident docs can translate?

And sorry to hear about your trip being so smoky.  Even if it resulted in two pretty awesome photos of Summit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:
Quote

1. Two accessory ossicles (os peroneums) embedded within the peroneus longus tendon (the larger
of which measures 1 cm and the smaller of which measures 3 mm), both containing diffuse 
intense bone marrow edema, likely stress related. Clinically correlate for os peroneum 
syndrome.
2. Mild tendinosis with a thin linear interstitial split peroneus longus tendon extending from 
the level of the calcaneal body to the level of the os peroneum. Mild inframalleolar peroneus 
brevis tendinosis. Mild peroneal tenosynovitis.
3. Diffuse thickening and scarring medial cord plantar fascia at the calcaneal insertion with a
small plantar calcaneal spur containing minimal edema. These findings suggest chronic plantar
fasciitis.
4. 1st tarsometatarsal joint osteoarthritis.
5. Intact Lisfranc ligament.

 

2 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Most of the above is gibberish to me, maybe some of the resident docs can translate?

 

Excuse me, but I speak ultra.

 

What he's trying to say is his foot is in bad shape due to being a bad-### and running 100 miles over rough terrain for hours on end while the rest of us plan out marathons in cold weather and on flat ground. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

I think #5 is a good thing.  I think.  But 1-4, definitely not positive news.

Damn man, sorry to hear this. When I first got into running you were one of the guys that really inspired me to go long. I had this wild ### dream of pacing you at Western States someday but about the time I actually could have, my running came to an abrupt end. Still fun to follow along with you and your journey.

I'm not saying this like it's over just letting you know. I know you'll do whatever you can to get back on the trails. At least you know now, hopefully they can put together a plan to get you back to it. From the looks of that, you are running on 70 year old feet. From someone who has arthritis, that's usually not a good combination for athletics.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...