What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

I haven't read the last few pages as I've been MIA with work stuff.  Hope everyone is doing well and staying heealthy.

I've not been feeling 100% which has shown a bit in some recent runs... but I'm still planning to make the @ChiefD HM Cassic my ##### tomorrow  :towelwave:
Suck, my 2-3 hour window of not raining this morning is not going to happen.  I may have a chance this afternoon if it holds off and I can move some things around.  Tomorrow looks like rain all day, so if this afternoon doesn't work, I'm pushed out to Monday  :kicksrock:

Welcome the new sandbagger to the club....

@El Floppo

Were you confused at the end at all?

ETA -- Awesome run. Not surprised at all.
I'm confused now.

Thanks? I haven't looked at my time yet... couldn't see the 1/2 time without my glasses. But I think I was doing about 7:20s.

Ended up w two great pacers ahead of me for a lot of it, which helped keep me pushing out of my comfort zone. Decided to do a p2p instead of out and back, as it felt like I caught a tailwind as soon as I turned at the battery onto the hudson river about m3-4. The river road was closed at about m11, so I had to do the last couple back into the wind (mild).

Think I did well here. Gotta get my glasses and check back.

Eta ..oh....wow. that's my 2nd fastest timed 1/2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too far. Had to walk a slow mile up a couple of hills to get home. But that is also why I ended it there. Finished on a long downhill for the actual run portion.
Gotcha. Thought you'd be tempted by the warm gentle bearish breezes of the home bathroom.

I ended up a ways away, knowing I'd hop a bike and ride home. Felt ok to spin it out a little...better than to have run the second half back into the wind.

Grand plans for 52.4 on the bike today got thwarted by minor calf strain and shingles & flu shots yesterday that have messed my world. Next week! 

Good luck to all HM runners today! 

xulf said:
Suck, my 2-3 hour window of not raining this morning is not going to happen.  I may have a chance this afternoon if it holds off and I can move some things around.  Tomorrow looks like rain all day, so if this afternoon doesn't work, I'm pushed out to Monday  :kicksrock:
Monday it is, unless this system breaks up and provides an unexpected reprieve tomorrow.

Just got back from my 21.1km trail run (the @ChiefD Giving Thanks version).  Saw a few deer and tons of cows.  Kept an easy pace, my legs are still in rough shape.  

And today, for the first time since my summer injury, I'm back on pace (2km ahead, in fact) for my 2,500mi 2020 goal.  77km/week for the rest of the year.  Barring injury, that should be cake.

beer 30 said:
@gianmarco Jeff Galloway is the King of the run/walk method. I tried it back in the day but it didn't work for me (nothing really did but that's beside the point). Read some of his stuff if you haven't already, he's got quite the cult following.
Finally something I know just a tiny sliver about - I have his old running book.  I’ve always felt this was the best approach for anyone starting running from nothing.

Signed,

former runner AAA

2020 Thankful For My Blessings Run

Pre-Run Mumbo Jumbo

The purpose of this run initially was to hopefully jump start some training for myself and maybe a few others here. Obviously this year has been rough, and despite all that I have tried to stay positive as much as possible.

My kids are dependent on it, even though my insides and stress level have been in turmoil since all this Covid started. So the point for me today was just take some time and think about what is really important and be thankful for that.

My training coming up to this has been spotty, as you all can see everyday by my lack of Strava entries, so today was just all about running 13.1 miles. Diet was great all week, evidenced my single pre-run dump that was perfection. Had no issues the rest of the run with my GI tract. So it was good to see I still have that dialed in for a race.

Woke up a really stiff back that never loosened up this whole run, and is still hurting now. In addition, my heart rate was about 30 beats higher at go time. Not good. It never really did abate during the run, so I knew pretty quick I wasn't coming in under two hours. No matter - that wasn't what this day was about.

Mile 1: On this mile I was thankful for my mother. When I was 9 my parents divorced, and I'll never forget those nights for a year where she would wail at night out of sadness due to the betrayal of my dad. She never knew we heard her, but she would somehow pull it together every morning to take care of us. And she would just go, day after day, doing her best on a single income (with later help from my dad) to feed and clothe 3 boys. I don't know how she did it, but she did. We had some lean years, and a lot of hot dogs and pork and beans, and even a few very empty Christmas mornings, but we survived. I thank her for everything she did for us.

Mile 2: So about my brothers - the three of us are as close as three brothers could ever be. And we still are to this day. We went through some ####, man....and came out the other side as productive men and respectful men. I'm thankful that we can still text and talk every week and flip each other #### - because that's what brothers do! But we all know we have each others back no matter what.

Mile 3: I thought about how I even got into this in the first place, and every once in awhile when I see my neighbor I thank her for getting the ball rolling on this. I doubt I would have ever started running without her push (and it was pretty easy to follow her around), but that's the kick I needed. I am forever in debt to her for that. Since that first day I have lost about 20 pounds and have never put it back on. That was 8 years ago.

Mile 4: This was @gruecd's mile, because right about here I was thinking "man, I just don't feel that great today." Yet all that came back at me was grue's voice: "don't be a poooosay. this was your stupid idea." So thanks, I guess.......

Mile 5: My wife's turn. She has pretty much let me run when I want and how long I want without too much complaint. (though @Juxtatarot is a witness that I was close to the edge with that last marathon training). But she is the rock that holds my family together. This woman saved me 18 years ago, and has continued to support everything I do. I am not exaggerating when I say I might be dead if I hadn't met her.

Mile 6: My kids are starting to come to mind now, and I'm thankful for the way they have grown up. They are respectful to other people, and are great students in school. Probably the greatest compliment I have ever received was a few years ago, and we saw the school lunch lady at a restaurant. We went over to say hi, and she said to my wife and I: "I just want you to know that your kids are the only ones in school that say please and thank you every time they come through my line."  They are great kids and I'm looking forward to seeing their continued growth.

Mile 7: This mile was Purple Larry's entry into my mind. You might recall my friend Larry that I posted about a few months back that passed away from cancer. This guy taught me how to work and how to be a man - something my dad never did. I owe a debt of gratitude to him,  and I am thankful I got to say those words to him before he passed away.

Mile 8: This was the mile where I realized God sent me on this run for a reason. I was running through my old neighborhood, and saw an older person struggling to remove something from his car. He had a two wheel cart there, so he was trying to load some stuff apparently so he could take it to the house. I stopped and yelled over if he needed some help. He said sure so I walked over and put my mask on. Turns out he has Parkinson's, and was trying to move a large case of Costco waters and a case of bleach and couple other heavy items. I ended up helping him get everything to his back door. We talked a couple of minutes, wished each other Happy Thanksgiving, and off I went.  I tell this story only because as we move around in our lives, there are always opportunities to help someone or be kind to someone. I don't always "act". But this was a lesson to me to always call over and offer my help.

Mile 9: This was an easy mile because I was starting to feel good about this day. I was just thinking - man, you are one lucky dude man. You've got all these great people in your life and just keep on keepin' on. This is when I knew I would at least run this all the way through to 13.1.

Mile 10: I starting thinking about my running journey here. I am just thankful that I can run, and that despite a terrible mental game, I am still at this. I leaned on my experience here, and am thankful that I have those in my memory bank to help. It's amazing how much we can all take away from every run, every race, every failure, every triumph. And I'm thankful I get to experience this whenever I want to.

Mile 11: This led into thinking about those who are not as fortunate as me. I thought a lot about all the poor souls who have lost their lives this year due to Covid. Of all the families that have struggled this year due to death, and job loss, and just overall mental fatigue. We all know it's hard, and somehow I have to figure out a better way moving forward to helping some of these people. This was a sad mile, to be honest.

Mile 12: This led into thinking about all those people out there on the front lines to protect us - the doctors, nurses, police officers, military, firefighters - all of them. They have a tough duty right now in all phases, and I hope moving forward America can come together to help these people.  I'm not sure people are thinking about all of this when making their personal decisions while they navigate everything that is going on in America today. But when I see my other neighbor, who is a nurse, come home....and I can just see the pain and frustration and anger in her face....it makes me sad for all the selfishness in our country right now. But they aren't selfish, and I'm thankful for them.

Mile 13.1: I'm just thankful this is almost over. :lol:   I finish on a downhill and stop my watch at 13.2 miles. Just to make sure I wasn't short, lest one of you smartasses say I didn't complete the challenge.

Summary

I ran this run exactly as I planned - by heart rate. With a little heart ache and a lot of heart-full-ness.  This is the best half marathon I have ever run.

Thank you to all who participated, and special thanks to @gruecd for your generous offer and donation.  And @Zasada as well. If anyone else was doing this I also thank you.

After my run:

Farmer's Market

Grocery Store

Quik Trip

Liquor Store

Need to make an apple pie from scratch for my 13 year olds birthday, followed by a nice steak dinner on the grill at his request, and then some beers, college football, and a fire in the fireplace.

Have a good day gents!

I didn't take the time to give thanks on my run today, but did have a conversation with my running friend about how lucky we are to be living in a time when wearing a mask or being first in line for a vaccine is considered "sacrifice", or service to one's peers.  Compare to 1939-45 when "sacrifice" meant something much, much different.

I'm also very thankful that none of my family has been infected with COVID.

@ChiefD  - great race report!  On a podcast I listened to a couple of months ago, it was suggested that a simple exercise to 'right your mind' is to find a few seconds each day to think of 3 things you are grateful for.  They don't have to be profound big things, just 3.  I haven't been religious on doing this, but I do find it helpful esp. this year when it's easy to focus on all that you can't do.   Good on you for kicking this off - enjoy your steak and beer tonight.  I'll be smoking some beef tenderloin for eats here tonight.  

@ChiefD  - great race report!  On a podcast I listened to a couple of months ago, it was suggested that a simple exercise to 'right your mind' is to find a few seconds each day to think of 3 things you are grateful for.  They don't have to be profound big things, just 3.  I haven't been religious on doing this, but I do find it helpful esp. this year when it's easy to focus on all that you can't do.   Good on you for kicking this off - enjoy your steak and beer tonight.  I'll be smoking some beef tenderloin for eats here tonight.  
Great advice. I need to remember to do this.

Whoa... That HR!! That couldn't have felt great. Nice work holding it that long. Great run.
Thanks.  I'll probably do a race report tomorrow, but it was a weird run.  I don't understand why my HR was so elevated, and I really didn't hit the true wall of suck until about the last 2 miles, but I just felt off the whole time.  I did have a nasty run in with some undercooked beans Thursday night, so maybe it's related to that.

Ok...

Pre-Race... At the wife's request, I started taking Beano on account of my regular nightly farts, which she apparently doesn't find as hilarious as me and the kids do. Must've plugged me up a bit this week. I did my darndest to release the hounds this am, but nothing doing, so I was worried about when and where the bear would show up. The wife has also been snoring it up the last few weeks, so not sleeping great.

But I also only ran once this week, and did 12 or 13 slow last weekend instead of 20 (over two days)...as taperish as I'm going to get.

M1&2....did a mile warm up, but the first couple miles still felt tight. Had the fear of bears strong in me too. Pushed in a comfortable way to continue the warm up @7:30s. With the my mind on the bear concern, I completely forgot to stretch...at all. 

M3..loosened up and the GI felt good, dropped the pace towards 7:10, but the lack of stretching gave me concern, as my hams felt a little tight...didn't want to have to stop at this point and stretch out, so committed to just going for it.

M4-8...a guy passed me slowly around m3 (right where I saw the fish swarm last weekend and near the battery) doing 7:10s...and kept running up the in the same direction I was going. I stayed on his heels for a bit and then thought better of pushing it this much at this point of the run. Decided to slowly let him pull away and settled into a more comfortable but still pushed pace.

M9-10...this is where I decided to do p2p and keep running up the hudson with a tailwind instead of turning around for home and back into the wind. Also where I lost pacer #1, but found a second pacer going at my 7:20s. Legs and breathing all still felt great.

M11-13..lost the pacer, but was running in my old hood, pre marriage, along the hudson which gave me a little pep. But turning back into the wind for the last couple after the path was unexpectedly closed was rough. My comfortable breathing became more race-labored and I just couldn't get the legs to turn over quicker the way I had planned for the last two miles. I concentrated on pumping the arms to keep the pace going and held on for the end.

Over all, very very happy. My 1/2 PR is from 15 years ago during my IM training (1:32..something) and this was my second fastest timed run (1:36:52) including some other sub 1:40s from those days (and a bunch of low 1:40s in my 1/2 IMs).

The mileage I've been doing and the approach- all learned and inspired from here and you yabos- made this feel much easier than those races in my 30s...especially the breathing (and likely the HR, which I'll figure out some day). 

After biking the 4 or so miles home, I played two hours of tennis with floppinha, but my legs were already completely fried...which tells me I left it all on the race course.

Ok...

Pre-Race... At the wife's request, I started taking Beano on account of my regular nightly farts, which she apparently doesn't find as hilarious as me and the kids do. Must've plugged me up a bit this week. I did my darndest to release the hounds this am, but nothing doing, so I was worried about when and where the bear would show up. The wife has also been snoring it up the last few weeks, so not sleeping great.

But I also only ran once this week, and did 12 or 13 slow last weekend instead of 20 (over two days)...as taperish as I'm going to get.

M1&2....did a mile warm up, but the first couple miles still felt tight. Had the fear of bears strong in me too. Pushed in a comfortable way to continue the warm up @7:30s. With the my mind on the bear concern, I completely forgot to stretch...at all. 

M3..loosened up and the GI felt good, dropped the pace towards 7:10, but the lack of stretching gave me concern, as my hams felt a little tight...didn't want to have to stop at this point and stretch out, so committed to just going for it.

M4-8...a guy passed me slowly around m3 (right where I saw the fish swarm last weekend and near the battery) doing 7:10s...and kept running up the in the same direction I was going. I stayed on his heels for a bit and then thought better of pushing it this much at this point of the run. Decided to slowly let him pull away and settled into a more comfortable but still pushed pace.

M9-10...this is where I decided to do p2p and keep running up the hudson with a tailwind instead of turning around for home and back into the wind. Also where I lost pacer #1, but found a second pacer going at my 7:20s. Legs and breathing all still felt great.

M11-13..lost the pacer, but was running in my old hood, pre marriage, along the hudson which gave me a little pep. But turning back into the wind for the last couple after the path was unexpectedly closed was rough. My comfortable breathing became more race-labored and I just couldn't get the legs to turn over quicker the way I had planned for the last two miles. I concentrated on pumping the arms to keep the pace going and held on for the end.

Over all, very very happy. My 1/2 PR is from 15 years ago during my IM training (1:32..something) and this was my second fastest timed run (1:36:52) including some other sub 1:40s from those days (and a bunch of low 1:40s in my 1/2 IMs).

The mileage I've been doing and the approach- all learned and inspired from here and you yabos- made this feel much easier than those races in my 30s...especially the breathing (and likely the HR, which I'll figure out some day). 

After biking the 4 or so miles home, I played two hours of tennis with floppinha, but my legs were already completely fried...which tells me I left it all on the race course.
Awesome.

No doubt with a little more race prep and an actual race environment, you could PR. 

How much will I ruin myself if I do a pretty hard HM on Monday and then a slow one (11:00+ pace) with the wife on Tuesday?

Great stuff @ChiefD and all. I took a drive up to north Baltimore NCR trail  (flat crushed stone non Duck / Zas trail) and was very thankful to find a bathroom mid warmup.  Glad to put a longer quality effort out there.  Had a free day with kids at MIL for the day/night and no wind out there. Happy runner. 

Great stuff @ChiefD and all. I took a drive up to north Baltimore NCR trail  (flat crushed stone non Duck / Zas trail) and was very thankful to find a bathroom mid warmup.  Glad to put a longer quality effort out there.  Had a free day with kids at MIL for the day/night and no wind out there. Happy runner. 
Your run was pretty damn good. Nice work sir. :headbang:

How much will I ruin myself if I do a pretty hard HM on Monday and then a slow one (11:00+ pace) with the wife on Tuesday?
It depends on your experience. 

I did 12 today after 13.1 yesterday.  Now, I didn't go pretty hard yesterday but I pushed a bit.  I think a lot of positives come from long days back to back.  Its just really important to go real slow on the second one. 

If you decide to try it, the first mile of the second day will suck but once you warm up, I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

I'm going to participate in ChiefD's half marathon thingie, but I can't do it until Sunday (Saturday I'll be drinking and eating Kansas City BBQ/Korean fusion food), and I won't be what you'd call running.  I'm just here in spirit if not in ability.

In other news, on Saturday night I finally lost my big toenail from my 50.2 mile walk on August 1!
Congrats on the toenail.  You are officially a runner!  :P

How did your half marathon go?  Did you walk/run?

Since you aren't on Strava, we need to rely on your reports in here. 

Congrats on the toenail.  You are officially a runner!  :P

How did your half marathon go?  Did you walk/run?

Since you aren't on Strava, we need to rely on your reports in here. 
Good timing - I just finished it!

I do a fast walk, as I'm not at all a runner.  For this I was ~4.2 mph, finishing in just over three hours.  I was in a cold mist the whole time, around 43 degrees, but that was fine.  My hair is extremely frizzy now.  No exciting trip reports on this, especially since nothing can compare to that ChiefD report.  Fantastic stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread