What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

Anyone else trotting tomorrow? Tried telling my friend about mine, he didn’t seem to care.
Just an easy street run up north, where it's just another Thursday.  

Plan to do some elevation on Friday, so want to keep things tame tomorrow.

13 finishers x $13.10 = $170.30 (rounded up to $200) just donated to HAWS, an open-admission, no-kill animal shelter located about 10 minutes from my house.  

I was never a pet person until my wife convinced me to get Misia back in 2015.  Now I'm one of those guys who would literally run into a burning house and risk my own life to save her.  I literally can't watch those Sarah McLachlan SPCA commercials on TV.  My allergies really limit my ability to do much hands-on volunteer work at the shelter, but I do try to support them financially, and I'd like eventually get involved with their BOD.  

Congratulations again to all of you who ran this past week, and thanks to @ChiefD for coming up with the idea.  :thumbup:
Very cool.  Sorry that I missed this.  Ugh.

Crazy work schedule paired with hanging out in the Beatles thread = not being in this thread lately.  Rookie mistake.  

Tradition Turkey Trot Race Report

My first official race since my marathon back in January. First 5K since this same race last year. 

They tried to socially distance the start times. Everyone required to wear a mask before the race. They had cones spaced 12 feet apart that spanned numerous blocks. Starting times were from 8:00-8:30. 

I parked and warmed up by my vehicle. After warming up, I hopped back in my car and did my 3 rounds of breathing to calm my nerves and inject more oxygen into my bloodstream (doctor stuff). I decided to run without my knee brace. First run without it in months. Bold move on my part!

I get to the line and it is deeeeeeep. Had to wait until around 8:15 to start. I was listening to some nice calming music as I waited and was in a good place. Finally make it to the line, ditch my mask, and I’m off!

Mile 1: Pace 6:28 HR 154 The first half of this mile was on the road. I spent the majority of that time dodging walkers, strollers, and others that weren’t running very fast. The second half merged onto the sidewalk, but I did not. I took the longer, outer path and stayed on the road. It would’ve been impossible to run had I not stayed on the road. This did add some extra distance, but it was my only option. 

Mile 2: Pace 6:32 HR 182 It was at this point in the race I knew I was in for some pain. I welcomed it and continued pushing through it. No knee pain. No pain anywhere on my body. That may be the first time I have been able to say that in months. 

Mile 3: Pace 6:39 HR 185 At this point, I’ve collected around 500-600 kills (as @tri-man 47 would call them) because I started so far back. Nothing crazy during this mile, just continuing to push and hold on. 

Mile .11: Pace 6:24 HR 188! Pretty sure my max HR is 189-191. I gave it all I had which is all I wanted out of this run. 

Overall, super pleased and just genuinely thankful for everything. I came out of this race feeling good. No injuries. I’m on the right track with my running, diet, and strength training. The weather from here on out is going to be amazing. Starting a marathon plan on Monday. Signed up for my local marathon on March 7th. I would really like to stick to this plan and run a great race come March. 

Funny story, I have a long-running group chat with my brother, cousin, and a few football friends. I post about my runs and they’re aware that I am pretty decent at it. My buddy asked yesterday if I was thinking I’d finish first. I said no, looking at a respectable 12th place with a time a little over 20 minutes. Wouldn’t you know it, exactly 12th place! I did finish 2nd in my AG. Hope you all have an amazing Thanksgiving! Alright, alright, alright.

- Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny story, I have a long-running group chat with my brother, cousin, and a few football friends. I post about my runs and they’re aware that I am pretty decent at it. My buddy asked yesterday if I was thinking I’d finish first. I said no, looking at a respectable 12th place with a time a little over 20 minutes. Wouldn’t you know it, exactly 12th place! I did finish 2nd in my AG. Hope you all have an amazing Thanksgiving! Alright, alright, alright.
Great race, Bart.  Way to dig deep!  Happy Thanksgiving.

Sounds like a great run @JShare87 - congrats!!  I knew that someone predicted pain but in retrospect, it wasn't you and I'm glad that Floppo didn't pull some VooDoo action on your knee.  Enjoy  some good vegetarian grub today! 

Signed up yesterday to do a turkey trot of my own.  I'm loosely planning to start an 18-week marathon training block on December 7 (right before the baby comes, I know...genius), so my only real objective today was to get a feel for my current fitness level.  I wasn't optimistic.  

The company putting on today's race is the same one that put on my 50K and the same one that's been putting on local races all year.  They have a pretty good system in place.  Similar to @JShare87's race, they set up 10 rows of 10 cones spaced 10 feet apart.  Everyone lines up by a cone, and they release one wave (row) of 10 runners every 30 seconds.  Masks stay on until you start.  

Got there early and did a little 2-mile warmup run.  Felt like total crap at first and gave some serious thought to just bagging it and going home.  But I'd told @gianmarco and @Steel Curtain that I was running, and I didn't want them to call me a poooosay, so I kept going.  Fortunately, I felt quite a bit better by the end.  I still had 30 minutes until the start, so I went and used the bathroom one last time, picked up my bib, and came back to the car.  Changed into my Endorphin Pros (first time racing in these), ditched my long-sleeve shirt for my singlet, and headed to the start. 

Apparently my pre-race routine is the polar opposite of @JShare87, because instead of listening to something calm, I switched to my hip-hop playlist to get me pumped up and into the racing mindset.  Did a couple of quick strides before picking a cone in the first group of ten.  Off we went, and I settled pretty quickly into 5th place behind three dudes and one girl.  I haven't run a 5K in so long that I forgot what those paces feel like, and I came out a little hot.  I didn't want to die, so I backed it off a bit and finished the first mile in 6:13.  The course was an out-and-back that's slightly (but perceivably) uphill on the "out" and downhill on the way back.  I slowed to 6:30-6:35 pace during the first half of mile #2, and the 180-degree turnaround didn't help, but I managed to pick it back up a little bit afterwards and salvage a 6:25 for the full mile.  Heart rate was in the low 160s by now and wouldn't end up going much higher.  I felt like I was working hard, but I guess my legs were the limiting factor and not my cardio.  A dude passed me here, which I didn't love, but it is what it is.  Pulled it together pretty nicely for the finish, clocking 6:19 for the mile #3 and 6:02 pace for the last tenth.  Overall time 19:30 (6:17/mile), good for 6th overall and 1st in my AG.

There's no awards ceremony, and they discourage people from congregating after the race, so I took a quick minute after the finish to catch my breath and then jogged to my car before heading back out for a little 2-mile cooldown.

I said before the race that I'd be happy just to break 20 minutes, so at least I can check that box.  Extrapolating today's results, I'd say I'm probably in 1:30-1:31 half marathon shape and 3:10-3:12 marathon shape right now.  With 18 weeks of training ahead of me, I should have a decent chance to get into 3:05ish marathon shape by spring.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

Signed up yesterday to do a turkey trot of my own.  I'm loosely planning to start an 18-week marathon training block on December 7 (right before the baby comes, I know...genius), so my only real objective today was to get a feel for my current fitness level.  I wasn't optimistic.  

The company putting on today's race is the same one that put on my 50K and the same one that's been putting on local races all year.  They have a pretty good system in place.  Similar to @JShare87's race, they set up 10 rows of 10 cones spaced 10 feet apart.  Everyone lines up by a cone, and they release one wave (row) of 10 runners every 30 seconds.  Masks stay on until you start.  

Got there early and did a little 2-mile warmup run.  Felt like total crap at first and gave some serious thought to just bagging it and going home.  But I'd told @gianmarco and @Steel Curtain that I was running, and I didn't want them to call me a poooosay, so I kept going.  Fortunately, I felt quite a bit better by the end.  I still had 30 minutes until the start, so I went and used the bathroom one last time, picked up my bib, and came back to the car.  Changed into my Endorphin Pros (first time racing in these), ditched my long-sleeve shirt for my singlet, and headed to the start. 

Apparently my pre-race routine is the polar opposite of @JShare87, because instead of listening to something calm, I switched to my hip-hop playlist to get me pumped up and into the racing mindset.  Did a couple of quick strides before picking a cone in the first group of ten.  Off we went, and I settled pretty quickly into 5th place behind three dudes and one girl.  I haven't run a 5K in so long that I forgot what those paces feel like, and I came out a little hot.  I didn't want to die, so I backed it off a bit and finished the first mile in 6:13.  The course was an out-and-back that's slightly (but perceivably) uphill on the "out" and downhill on the way back.  I slowed to 6:30-6:35 pace during the first half of mile #2, and the 180-degree turnaround didn't help, but I managed to pick it back up a little bit afterwards and salvage a 6:25 for the full mile.  Heart rate was in the low 160s by now and wouldn't end up going much higher.  I felt like I was working hard, but I guess my legs were the limiting factor and not my cardio.  A dude passed me here, which I didn't love, but it is what it is.  Pulled it together pretty nicely for the finish, clocking 6:19 for the mile #3 and 6:02 pace for the last tenth.  Overall time 19:30 (6:17/mile), good for 6th overall and 1st in my AG.

There's no awards ceremony, and they discourage people from congregating after the race, so I took a quick minute after the finish to catch my breath and then jogged to my car before heading back out for a little 2-mile cooldown.

I said before the race that I'd be happy just to break 20 minutes, so at least I can check that box.  Extrapolating today's results, I'd say I'm probably in 1:30-1:31 half marathon shape and 3:10-3:12 marathon shape right now.  With 18 weeks of training ahead of me, I should have a decent chance to get into 3:05ish marathon shape by spring.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.
Awesome race! I wish I could listen to pump up music. Still working on the pre-race anxiety. I love Orcas and am pretty fond of the movie Free Willy. Probably the only song that can calm me is the opening intro. I go to a different place when that song comes on and just find my inner peace. Happy Thanksgiving to you. You’re a true BMF, and I am always amazed at your runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great race, especially with so little targeted prep.  You're such a badass, I feel like you have sub-3 in you for the full.  With the right weather and course, you can kill it.

Signed up yesterday to do a turkey trot of my own. 

Overall time 19:30 (6:17/mile), good for 6th overall and 1st in my AG.
Congrats!!  Great time and I'm sure you glad to have that race behind you. Now go through back some cranberry seltzers and turkey. 

Changed into my Endorphin Pros (first time racing in these), ditched my long-sleeve shirt for my singlet, and headed to the start. 
Thoughts on these?  I havent put mine on for like 6 months but have been loving the Endorphin Speeds for the a couple of uptempo runs I’ve taken in them recently.  Can’t wait to lace up the soopershooz again.   
Great race to you and @JShare87!  Happy thanksgiving all!

Thoughts on these?  I havent put mine on for like 6 months but have been loving the Endorphin Speeds for the a couple of uptempo runs I’ve taken in them recently.  Can’t wait to lace up the soopershooz again.   
I've used the Endorphin Speeds the last 2 weeks for my workouts.

By far, not even close, my favorite shoes I've ever worn.  I may just get these from now on for every day use, tbh.

I wore the Pros for the marathon but that's just not a good way for me to judge. 

gianmarco said:

By far, not even close, my favorite shoes I've ever worn.  I may just get these from now on for every day use, tbh.

I wore the Pros for the marathon but that's just not a good way for me to judge. 
I feel the same about the Vaporflys. Now, it’s the only shoe I run in. When you find a shoe you like, stick with it. 

gianmarco said:

They really are outstanding. That line is expanding with trail version and new models next year. I am getting at least one more pair of the current Speeds in the blue orange they did with jackrabbit site.  

Zasada said:
Great race, especially with so little targeted prep.  You're such a badass, I feel like you have sub-3 in you for the full.  With the right weather and course, you can kill it.

JShare87 said:
Don’t listen to @gruecd. Guy can run sub 3 whenever he feels like it. Roll outta bed on a Tuesday morning and decide to hit a sub 3 at any moment.
I don't know about all that, but thanks, guys!  

bushdocda said:
I'm trying to find the right word, and "unremarkable" is what comes to mind.  VaporFlys definitely feel "faster," IMHO.

I set my alarm to run at 5:30 but this storm got here early, so I went back to bed. Do I get credit for trying? Looks like I'll be off the next 2-3 days. We'll see how much snow I have to trudge through after the sidewalks are cleared - calling for 6-10" with pockets of > a foot.

I set my alarm to run at 5:30 but this storm got here early, so I went back to bed. Do I get credit for trying? Looks like I'll be off the next 2-3 days. We'll see how much snow I have to trudge through after the sidewalks are cleared - calling for 6-10" with pockets of > a foot.
Sounds like "treadmill time" to me.

Ran in 50 degrees and no wind yesterday around lunch.  It's currently in the 20's with flurries.  Luckily, it'll change by tomorrow with temps in the 40's and 50's again all through the week with a good bit of yellow.
Same here! Winter is coming!!!!! The weather for my area the next 10 days could not be more perfect. Going to be 39 degrees Wednesday morning! When it comes to gloves on Wednesday morning....

https://youtu.be/BfzsMQGqrt0

Who's our man in Folsom blowing up Strava with the 3m loops on repeat? Confused the hell out of me until I figured out they were all different runs.

Have a really sore right quad from playing about 80 games of corn hole at my brothers house this weekend. That's my anchor leg. Probably will wait another day and try and run tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread