What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Morning check-in, we were #1 in the county and #2 in the region at 9:18 am with 10.0" and have been getting > 1"/hr since with no end in sight. Positive spin, I'm gonna end up with a 2-a-day despite not running nor strength training.  :lmao:

Morning check-in, we were #1 in the county and #2 in the region at 9:18 am with 10.0" and have been getting > 1"/hr since with no end in sight. Positive spin, I'm gonna end up with a 2-a-day despite not running nor strength training.  :lmao:
Yeah, I was actually just checking the weather there this morning out of curiosity as I knew you were supposed to get hammered.  Makes me feel a little better about trying to get out this afternoon with 40 degrees and 35mph wind gusts.  :yucky:

I have the perfect shovel for those conditions. 
If you have a shovel that effortlessly moves a metric ton of water (this type of snow is the absolute worst) then you should move here for a year before retreating to BFE Wisconsin. You'll earn a mint and retire away to your northern paradise without a worry in the world for you, yours, your kids, and your kids kids.

Yeah, I was actually just checking the weather there this morning out of curiosity as I knew you were supposed to get hammered.  Makes me feel a little better about trying to get out this afternoon with 40 degrees and 35mph wind gusts.  :yucky:
If you were at all worried about your kid maintaining social distancing after returning from thanksgiving mother nature took care of that for you!

If you were at all worried about your kid maintaining social distancing after returning from thanksgiving mother nature took care of that for you!
Ha ha.  Actually, her school went with the popular "don't come back after Thanksgiving" modified schedule, so she is taking classes from here this week, followed by virtual finals.  I've been following it mainly for the "don't you wish you were there?" schtick.  I have first hand experience with Cleveland winters, so I know how fun the lake can make things.

Ha ha.  Actually, her school went with the popular "don't come back after Thanksgiving" modified schedule, so she is taking classes from here this week, followed by virtual finals.  I've been following it mainly for the "don't you wish you were there?" schtick.  I have first hand experience with Cleveland winters, so I know how fun the lake can make things.
If I knew that I had forgotten. Since @tri-man 47 got popped you're probably the only active one in here that both understands and appreciates why I stopped committing to spring marathons. Our other MW'ers know what winter is like, but they don't know what a lake enhanced winter is like. And it's impossible to articulate unless you've actually experienced it. 

If you have a shovel that effortlessly moves a metric ton of water (this type of snow is the absolute worst) then you should move here for a year before retreating to BFE Wisconsin. You'll earn a mint and retire away to your northern paradise without a worry in the world for you, yours, your kids, and your kids kids.
After a few multi-hour sessions of shoveling Chicago snow, I promptly invested in a snow blower.  Stuff is killer.

If I knew that I had forgotten. Since @tri-man 47 got popped you're probably the only active one in here that both understands and appreciates why I stopped committing to spring marathons. Our other MW'ers know what winter is like, but they don't know what a lake enhanced winter is like. And it's impossible to articulate unless you've actually experienced it. 
No need to blame the notebook.  If I mentioned it at all, I'm sure it was obliquely.  I tend to write rather indirectly about my life to keep someone from being able to deduce my whole history from reading a handful of posts.  Probably trying to hold back the tide, but I liked the old days where things on the internet were small groups of semi-anonymous people.  At any rate, I was an undergrad during the Michael White days.

As far as people getting popped, I'm glad to see you are still here after your foray into the thunderdome that is the covid thread.

No need to blame the notebook.  If I mentioned it at all, I'm sure it was obliquely.  I tend to write rather indirectly about my life to keep someone from being able to deduce my whole history from reading a handful of posts.  Probably trying to hold back the tide, but I liked the old days where things on the internet were small groups of semi-anonymous people.  At any rate, I was an undergrad during the Michael White days.

As far as people getting popped, I'm glad to see you are still here after your foray into the thunderdome that is the covid thread.
:lmao:

I haven't entered that thread, but have noticed it's going to beat us to 1,000 pages (if it hasn't already).

When did you get the test result? 

What are your symptoms?
Took test Friday after feeling increasingly rough all week and canceling our Thanksgiving.  Call from health dept came this afternoon. Symptoms-wise, body aches and bad sore throat have given way to sinus headache past few days. No fever thus far. 

Took test Friday after feeling increasingly rough all week and canceling our Thanksgiving.  Call from health dept came this afternoon. Symptoms-wise, body aches and bad sore throat have given way to sinus headache past few days. No fever thus far. 
Get better quick, gb.

After a few multi-hour sessions of shoveling Chicago snow, I promptly invested in a snow blower.  Stuff is killer.
I loved shoveling snow in Chicago.  It was heavy and impossible and made me feel like I might die at any given moment.  I'm not kidding that I loved it.  :lmao:

In other news, I got those "recovery sandals" in the mail yesterday, after someone was kind enough to post a sale on them.  I have no idea what I'm wearing or why, but I like them.  Just figured if the 10k guys were doing it, I should, too.

I loved shoveling snow in Chicago.  It was heavy and impossible and made me feel like I might die at any given moment.  I'm not kidding that I loved it.  :lmao:

In other news, I got those "recovery sandals" in the mail yesterday, after someone was kind enough to post a sale on them.  I have no idea what I'm wearing or why, but I like them.  Just figured if the 10k guys were doing it, I should, too.
:wub:

ChiefD said:
Have a really sore right quad from playing about 80 games of corn hole at my brothers house this weekend. That's my anchor leg. Probably will wait another day and try and run tomorrow. 
That’s so awesome.   :lmao:   But hope that’s feeling better now.

bushdocda said:
Damn it man.  Rest up and best of luck in a speedy recovery.  Get well bushdocda.

@bushdocda - feel better gb.

@MAC_32 - I couldn't live in a lake effect snow belt.  I'm too weak.

@tri-man 47 - Are we going to do the end of the year reports?  I'd like us to, however, maybe we tweak them a bit due to lack of races?  I know you are in timeout in the corner.  You can text me if you want and I'm happy to post it if you don't want to wait until you are released from timeout.  :ph34r:

@MAC_32 - I couldn't live in a lake effect snow belt.  I'm too weak.
On one hand @Zasada wasn't necessarily wrong when he said treadmill time on Monday. But there's a reason I didn't respond. Clearing all this stuff out is exhausting. I don't expect to ever own one, but even if I had one there was no ####### way I was using it yesterday. Hell I'm 'working' from my couch today cause my back still hurts  :lol:  Sun's out now, so if my wife gets home before dark I'll foot shuffle around the neighborhood, but I won't be heartbroken if this running break extends to tomorrow. 

@tri-man 47 - Are we going to do the end of the year reports?  I'd like us to, however, maybe we tweak them a bit due to lack of races?  I know you are in timeout in the corner.  You can text me if you want and I'm happy to post it if you don't want to wait until you are released from timeout.  :ph34r:
I'm looking forward to the year end reports.  Although light on racing, I'm hoping there will be a lot of covid reflection epiphanies to read about. 

Please remind me that I’m a ##### if I ever give anyone a hard time about cold weather. 39 degrees this morning, and I almost died. My hands just cannot stay warm. 2 pairs of gloves and by mile 3 I was in excruciating pain. After the run, my hands were bright red almost purple, and I couldn’t move them. The warming up process hurt twice as much as the freezing part. I have something wrong with me.

Please remind me that I’m a ##### if I ever give anyone a hard time about cold weather. 39 degrees this morning, and I almost died. My hands just cannot stay warm. 2 pairs of gloves and by mile 3 I was in excruciating pain. After the run, my hands were bright red almost purple, and I couldn’t move them. The warming up process hurt twice as much as the freezing part. I have something wrong with me.
Wait a sec... Gloves?

It depends on other factors, but while I may go sleeveless when it's around 40 I still wear gloves. Now, anyway. Thresh holds change in spring after months of adaptation.
Started with a quarter zip and shorts. I ditched the quarter zip after 2 miles because I was getting too warm. I have no other issues anywhere on my body running in the “cold” Something can’t be right. You guys are fine with one pair in way worse conditions. I had 2! One thick pair of gloves and then the ones @gianmarco recommended to me a while back. 

I can run in 25F temps in shorts, but my hands, like yours, freeze.  I often run with mittens now (easier to ball up your fist), but also use these when things get really cold.  Might be worth considering.

I can run in 25F temps in shorts, but my hands, like yours, freeze.  I often run with mittens now (easier to ball up your fist), but also use these when things get really cold.  Might be worth considering.
I ordered some earlier. I will rarely need them but today was one of those days. 

How high are your hands while running?  It took me over 10 years to learn that if I run with my hands for a minute at my side that gravity helps with blood flow which warms them a bit.  19 degrees this morning and I had mittens over 3 pairs of gloves and my hands were still numb by the end.

Started with a quarter zip and shorts. I ditched the quarter zip after 2 miles because I was getting too warm. I have no other issues anywhere on my body running in the “cold” Something can’t be right. You guys are fine with one pair in way worse conditions. I had 2! One thick pair of gloves and then the ones @gianmarco recommended to me a while back. 
Obviously this @gianmarco guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. 

How high are your hands while running?  It took me over 10 years to learn that if I run with my hands for a minute at my side that gravity helps with blood flow which warms them a bit.  19 degrees this morning and I had mittens over 3 pairs of gloves and my hands were still numb by the end.
I run with both of them waving over my head.

Guessing you have Reynaud's just like me.  Sorry, brah.

Guessing you have Reynaud's just like me.  Sorry, brah.
Like @Zasada, I'm good with shorts well into the 20s, but I wear gloves for pretty much anything under 50 degrees.  

Temps in the 40s and I'm good with just something light.

Above freezing and I'll go with something like this with a wind/waterproof flap to cover the fingers.

Colder, and I go to this pair of ski/snowboard mittens.

Super cold, and I stick a hand warmer inside the mittens.

Below zero, and I'm usually on the treadmill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remembered this conversation from a while ago. I ran nearly the entire run with my hands extremely low by my side.

Users who are viewing this thread