What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (20 Viewers)

Apologies to the Portland folks. I ran out of time after the weekend. I really enjoyed staying in Yachats near the water. I hit a few (maybe more than a few) breweries and cider joints in Portland proper and ate some damn good food. The Japanese Gardens are very impressive. Pretty sure I’ll be back again soon as my friends are considering living there long term. 

Apologies to the Portland folks. I ran out of time after the weekend. I really enjoyed staying in Yachats near the water. I hit a few (maybe more than a few) breweries and cider joints in Portland proper and ate some damn good food. The Japanese Gardens are very impressive. Pretty sure I’ll be back again soon as my friends are considering living there long term. 
All good.

Any highlights of the breweries you hit?  Curious where you went.

I think I'm getting divorced...

My wife said I'm going to need you to clean the garage. I pretty much laughed at her and she stormed off in a huff...

Gg

I love to clean the garage - put some tunes on, grab a beer and take my time.  Granted, my garage stays fairly clean but it’s still one chore I don’t mind at all.
It actually doesn't need cleaning. I got some tools out on the bench. That's about it. And why she even gives a #### is beyond me.  

garage guys>  tell me about sheds

DO YOU USE ONE?

getting the full court press to buy one, but everyone i know who has a  shed hasn't been inside theirs in years.

Yep - peg boards are crap but the concept is still valuable.  I have Husky wall storage that looks kind of like this.  Works really well and is aesthetically pleasing too.

ETA - will snap a picture later if I remember.  It works great to have your tools handy and organized.
I have Gladiator which is very similar. All tools I pretty much keep in a huge Craftsman chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
garage guys>  tell me about sheds

DO YOU USE ONE?

getting the full court press to buy one, but everyone i know who has a  shed hasn't been inside theirs in years.
Well since my town and hoa require approval of a normal size shed I have a small one. It fits my string trimmers, lawnmower with handle folded and some other items. It's not huge but serves it's purpose.  I should probably clean it out and move some more stuff in it. It's mainly my "yard stuff"

Peg board, my one wall in my garage was/is unfinished. I put insulation in and just peg boarded it.  Was cheap and easy. I don't really use it as a peg board.  I have some hammers and my levels hanging.  My toolbox was getting cluttered 

All my shovels etc are hanging from hooks in the stud.  And I have other shelving I've hung

I need some perspective here and this seems like a good thread.  My wife isn't the only one that does this but obviously the most exposure.  I totally understand needing to plan for things but the amount of over thinking and scenarios, and what abouts for smaller stuff frustrates me.  I'm just wondering if I'm in the minority. I know this is just a difference in personality, I'm just curious

Example, family is coming at the end of May for my son's wedding. The Saturday of that weekend my daughter may or may not have practice for the playoffs.  There are no wedding activities Saturday.  So the question was raised why don't we do X Saturday.  I say if we don't have practice sure or maybe after practice.  Then I get how about Y or Z. Or if no practice we do ABC but if she has practice you go to Y and then we do Z.   

So basically I said why don't we just wait until we find out if they have it.  If she has practice it will be from 9-11 like the others.   We won't know until that week.

This is just the lastest example.   I'm all for needing to have a plan but it feels like wasted time and energy coming up with a bunch of scenarios for something we don't know yet.   This happens a lot.

I kind of always take a wait and see approach before deciding vs these are all our potential options, which is more common for you?

I need some perspective here and this seems like a good thread.  My wife isn't the only one that does this but obviously the most exposure.  I totally understand needing to plan for things but the amount of over thinking and scenarios, and what abouts for smaller stuff frustrates me.  I'm just wondering if I'm in the minority. I know this is just a difference in personality, I'm just curious

Example, family is coming at the end of May for my son's wedding. The Saturday of that weekend my daughter may or may not have practice for the playoffs.  There are no wedding activities Saturday.  So the question was raised why don't we do X Saturday.  I say if we don't have practice sure or maybe after practice.  Then I get how about Y or Z. Or if no practice we do ABC but if she has practice you go to Y and then we do Z.   

So basically I said why don't we just wait until we find out if they have it.  If she has practice it will be from 9-11 like the others.   We won't know until that week.

This is just the lastest example.   I'm all for needing to have a plan but it feels like wasted time and energy coming up with a bunch of scenarios for something we don't know yet.   This happens a lot.

I kind of always take a wait and see approach before deciding vs these are all our potential options, which is more common for you?
I'm a planner, so would take an approach closer to your wife.  But I would only throw out the options, not get crazy about it.  She probably feels pressure to have to entertain people that weekend.  

I'm a planner, so would take an approach closer to your wife.  But I would only throw out the options, not get crazy about it.  She probably feels pressure to have to entertain people that weekend.  
Yeah I totally understand that, but shes like this with other stuff too. Was just the last example that came up.  She definitely goes over board though.  Always has been, just 25 years in and it's like a comedy routine between us now.... Thanks

17 years in between dating and marriage and i'm still struggling with this discussion

i'm of the mind that there's only so much control one can have over a situation. you can plan, but at some point you've got to let go. make a preferred plan A and have a plan B, but C, D, E, F, G, etc. is just introducing unnecessary stress.

my wife likes to think through ALL the possible outcomes. and spirals out from those possible outcomes. it paralyzes her.

she likes to say she's just thinking out loud, but she can't act until she games out all the eventualities. so she never acts & in the end 99.8% of things go just fine.  it's the 0.2% that plague her. she can't accept that you can't plan for everything. failing to plan for everything means you didn't spend the time thinking things through. and only people who are stupid don't think things through first.

that's the military upbringing in her. she has just taken in to an extreme place.

i'm more a "wait & see" and if anything extraordinary happens we'll sort it out. can't plan for a lightning strike on a sunny day. 

any common issue like traffic, or someone showing up late, etc. is just part of life. can't control everyone.

Yeah I totally understand that, but shes like this with other stuff too. Was just the last example that came up.  She definitely goes over board though.  Always has been, just 25 years in and it's like a comedy routine between us now.... Thanks
We have similar issues and at least with the kid's hockey schedule or my desire for free time to bike, she treats it as fully cancellable if she can plan something "more exciting".  

17 years in between dating and marriage and i'm still struggling with this discussion

i'm of the mind that there's only so much control one can have over a situation. you can plan, but at some point you've got to let go. make a preferred plan A and have a plan B, but C, D, E, F, G, etc. is just introducing unnecessary stress.

my wife likes to think through ALL the possible outcomes. and spirals out from those possible outcomes. it paralyzes her.

she likes to say she's just thinking out loud, but she can't act until she games out all the eventualities. so she never acts & in the end 99.8% of things go just fine.  it's the 0.2% that plague her. she can't accept that you can't plan for everything. failing to plan for everything means you didn't spend the time thinking things through. and only people who are stupid don't think things through first.

that's the military upbringing in her. she has just taken in to an extreme place.

i'm more a "wait & see" and if anything extraordinary happens we'll sort it out. can't plan for a lightning strike on a sunny day. 

any common issue like traffic, or someone showing up late, etc. is just part of life. can't control everyone.
TBH it's why I don't make plans anymore and that frustrates her.  It is a "controlling" trait that she can't let go and if it's not the way she expected or might of done it she's a mess

Yep - peg boards are crap but the concept is still valuable.  I have Husky wall storage that looks kind of like this.  Works really well and is aesthetically pleasing too.

ETA - will snap a picture later if I remember.  It works great to have your tools handy and organized.
LOOK AT ME I HAVE A CLEAN, WHITE GARAGE WHERE I CAN PROBABLY EAT OFF THE FLOOR

GO WITH YOUR FIRST INSTINCT...IT'S USUALLY RIGHT

TBH it's why I don't make plans anymore and that frustrates her.  It is a "controlling" trait that she can't let go and if it's not the way she expected or might of done it she's a mess
yeah, i'm in this boat.

i've said to my wife in the past "if i make plans, then you tell me i'm controlling you. if i don't make plans, then you get upset that i'm not making plans because i know you can't." and her response is "yeah  :shrug: "

20 years with my wife. She’s extra early, I’m barely on time. Aka, late. She’s quite cautious, I’m an idiot.  Those are two biggest differences, between us. She rarely busts my chops about anything.   I’ve learned to be almost early, especially when it’s important. 

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
20 years with my wife. She’s extra early, I’m barely on time. Aka, late. She’s quite cautious, I’m an idiot.  Those are two biggest differences, between us. She rarely busts my chops about anything.   I’ve learned to be almost early, especially when it’s important. 
Lol....I'm the 10 minutes early is on time in my house

Yep.

The wife loves and needs to plan and have things go according to plan, I tend to roll with things.

Yep, it's a cause of conflict at times. She ends up taking on a lot of preparing for stuff ranging from trips to shopping to kids lives (school, extracurricular, etc) and wishes I'd do more- a genuine pain to her. Most of the stuff I genuinely don't care about, but when I do...not a lot of room for ideas beyond what she's already planning, so becomes a pain to me putting any energy into it and being greeted with a range of disapproval or hostility.

She's amazing at planning though- ran her own fashion line for years, so is nails with schedule and details. Aside from the stress she carries over the stuff that leaks into how she acts towards me and the kids (primarily in the last few days before whatever it is she's planned), I'd be generally fine letting her completely run with things and supporting however she needs me to...and tbh, that's basically where we are with most things.

Users who are viewing this thread