What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (2 Viewers)

I hear you about the staleness, if I didn't have access to all the data to watch and play with, I would get burnt out also.  It is very interesting to watch the ADP change when Bloom or Silva or other big dogs communicate strong feelings for a player in a podcast or tweets.  Now with training camp starting you have a ton of fresh faces in the water with a lot of suboptimal drafting methods altering ADP again.  This is a perfect time to join a ton of leagues, but unfortunately the timing worked out poorly for me and the baby, but I won't be complaining.
This was one of the reasons I was asking. I go back and forth on the best time to draft.

In one sense I think there are more casual types drafting now, and will be even more once the preseason games actually start. On the other hand I don't think some of these "experts" are all that good at fantasy football. The thing that makes a fantasy football expert is having a strong, entrenched opinion about players and situations and I think that hurts you when drafting a team. I also think the experts may be more likely to try and hit the next thing before everyone else and they seem to take chances on players(especially rookies) much more often than myself. Some of the players those guys were taking as #2-#4 RB's seemed like huge gambles to me.

I also hate it when you have a pet player going late and then you start hearing people pimp them on the podcasts so you know they are going to start flying up draft boards. That's a big reason to draft early imo. 

Congrats on the daughter on the way, btw. Good luck this season.

I am surprised to see this. I am fading all Patriots this year(at least in this format) and am in big on both Lamar Miller and Brock Osweiler, my most owned QB. 
Not too surprising, although the only person I'm heavy on is Bennett.  Just a matter of numbers, outside of 20th round flyers, there are only 3 draftable Texans (two in the first round which limits possible exposure), and 7 draftable Patriots.  Thanks for the well wishes, I hope everyone in this thread crushes it this year.

BroadwayG said:
Probably shorting yourself quite a bit. Round 12 would be a very aggressive target for Garcon. http://www.ff-pages.com/mfl10/main/Player?playerID=5774
It wouldn't surprise me if Garcon was flying up draft boards with Doctson still weeks(?) away from returning to action. Keep in mind he has been resting that achilles since May so I can't help but assume he is nowhere near game shape. All those early rookie WR's that were "close to returning" for the entire month of August last year are likely fresh in the minds of people as well. If I really wanted Garcon(and I don't have zero-rb fever) I couln't blame anyone for taking him a round or two before ADP. That is right where most people are taking a QB so QB strategy is probably a big piece of that puzzle.

Just about to start my last MFL10. Besides me 3 others have pre-drafted 1st round picks. Hopefully a good sign. Most of my drafts have gone smoothly, but a couple have been kinda slow.

Anyway, I plan to report in around every 4/5 weeks. Hopefully everyone else has some good results to share. Good luck all!

BroadwayG - Right now it looks like we're in a FFPC 35 DE that's moving kinda slow. You had the 1.01 and took Brown. My son is actually drafting that one for me. I think he took Hopkins with the 4th or 5th pick. Good luck in that one.

brun said:
Just about to start my last MFL10. Besides me 3 others have pre-drafted 1st round picks. Hopefully a good sign. Most of my drafts have gone smoothly, but a couple have been kinda slow.

Anyway, I plan to report in around every 4/5 weeks. Hopefully everyone else has some good results to share. Good luck all!

BroadwayG - Right now it looks like we're in a FFPC 35 DE that's moving kinda slow. You had the 1.01 and took Brown. My son is actually drafting that one for me. I think he took Hopkins with the 4th or 5th pick. Good luck in that one.
Oh nice, those FFPCs are soooo slow with 12 hour clocks and no logical way to predraft.  Adjusting the base player list was downright awful.  I know MFL's interface is decades outdated, but man, trying to draft somewhere else made me really appreciate their ability to predraft and upload a player list.  If the FFPC is what a 'new' website is like, I hope MFL keeps on keepin on.  Hopefully we'll finish 1/2 there.

I couldn't help myself and plunked down another 100 for MFL10s to console myself after the Ladarius Green news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nice, those FFPCs are soooo slow with 12 hour clocks and no logical way to predraft.  Adjusting the base player list was downright awful.  I know MFL's interface is decades outdated, but man, trying to draft somewhere else made me really appreciate their ability to predraft and upload a player list.  If the FFPC is what a 'new' website is like, I hope MFL keeps on keepin on.  Hopefully we'll finish 1/2 there.

I couldn't help myself and plunked down another 100 for MFL10s to console myself after the Ladarius Green news.
I'm guessing that situation is giving you a headache? 

FWIW - someone in one of my drafts just took Ladarius Green about 20 minutes ago in the 12th round.

I'm fairly used to the FFPC interface, but really feel more comfortable with MFL site as well.

In one where the same team took Witten at 2.11, D.Walker at 3.02, Arizona at 8.11, Carolina at 9.02

Think they thought it was TE 3 PPR 

agame2323 said:
Okay.... I hate to ask but what is best ball?
A.K.A. Draft Expert or Draft Master. After the draft there is no roster management. Each week the system sets your optimal lineup for you after the games are played.

Touchdown There said:
Signed up for 3 today, Melissa T drafted Carson Palmer at 1.02.
My 1st thought was this was probably the result of someone fat-fingering on a mobile device, not realizing that putting someone in the pre-draft list meant they would be auto drafted, or a dare or bet was involved.

Anyone with experience in a deep 2 QB best ball PPR format? Looking forward to first year trying this out and not having invest the time to set lineups and monitor injury news so closely with a deeper format (there's still in season waivers in the format but is 32 rounds deep with 10 teams)

My 1st thought was this was probably the result of someone fat-fingering on a mobile device, not realizing that putting someone in the pre-draft list meant they would be auto drafted, or a dare or bet was involved.
Newton, Cam CAR QB 4.11

Palmer, Carson ARI QB 1.02

Williams, DeAngelo PIT RB 7.02

Diggs, Stefon MIN WR 6.11

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 2.11

Landry, Jarvis MIA WR 3.02

Broadway (or anyone):

I used to think picking up an extra D (say 3 instead of 2), would have more of a chance to contribute than a flyer late (like Tamme for example). Am I out to lunch?

Maybe this is more true on FFPC where by round 28 your flyers get more sketchy?

That is absolutely true.  The likelihood of a 3rd Defense contributing is almost 100%.  However, the amount that pick will contribute is rather limited, typically 20-30 points. 

The likelihood of a positional player contributing is far less (I have not run the numbers or read anything convincing to get an exact number here), but the level of contribution has no cap.

I believe the overall scoring and win rate between 2 and 3 slightly leans toward 3 def, but personally I'm going almost entirely 2 Def this year.

That is absolutely true.  The likelihood of a 3rd Defense contributing is almost 100%.  However, the amount that pick will contribute is rather limited, typically 20-30 points. 

The likelihood of a positional player contributing is far less (I have not run the numbers or read anything convincing to get an exact number here), but the level of contribution has no cap.

I believe the overall scoring and win rate between 2 and 3 slightly leans toward 3 def, but personally I'm going almost entirely 2 Def this year.
Can I ask why only 2 D's? Is it's because you like the late rounders this year to be contributors?

I'm assuming you would think that in a 28 round draft (FFPC) a 3rd D would make a lot more sense than in a 20 rounder? I can understand not doing it in a 20 rounder if you can get someone like Aiken (which blows my mind).

Really, I play 2 Def because it just makes more sense to me to go for the higher upside play when the points gained by a 3rd, while nearly automatic, are so trivial.

Can I ask why only 2 D's? Is it's because you like the late rounders this year to be contributors?

I'm assuming you would think that in a 28 round draft (FFPC) a 3rd D would make a lot more sense than in a 20 rounder? I can understand not doing it in a 20 rounder if you can get someone like Aiken (which blows my mind).
In my case, it's because I generally draft early compared to most people and I have much more confidence a team defense is going to be healthy all year than any player. In a draft-and-go format I think the players I target are quite a bit different than in a traditional league where you can just replace players off the waiver wire. 

Chances are there will be several defenses drafted in the 20th round. And always the 19th. So you aren't passing on a player in the 20th round to pick 3 defenses, you are really passing on a player in the 18th round to draft a third defense. Last year in my early drafts it wasn't uncommon at all for DeAngelo Williams to be available in the 18th round before July and all the podcasts started letting the cat out of the bag.

Could Taje Sharp end up being the #1 WR in TEN? Could Brandon LaFell end up having a 2014-type season with very little competition for targets? I expect Winston to have a big season and besides Evans who else is he throwing the ball to? There is definitely an outside chance Brate could end up a top-12 TE if Jackson continues to completely fall off a cliff. Kenny Bell is sinking to the third team. Jermain Kearse is probably the #3 receiver(assuming Graham struggles to come back from that injury) in SEA and if Wilson takes the step forward so many are expecting then the #3 receiver has value even without injuries. Doctson hasn't been running since.... MAY! Is there a chance Jamison Crowder has a bigger year than most are expecting? I think so. If Green eventually hits the PUP list is there any chance Jesse James finishes as a fantasy football TE#2 in that offense? One of Gabbert/Kaepernick is going to be ~QB#20 or better while being drafted as QB#30 and if you are able to draft your #2/#3 QB that means you can use an earlier pick on another position. They both fit the Chip offense better than Bradford and he was QB#24. Could Tyler Higbee end up the #1 receiver in STL? If you don't believe in rookie TE's, Tamme just plays like he did last year he's an absolute steal in the 18th round. I don't know if Stewart's foot is healthy or not but for all those guys that are zero-RB this year you could have a worse lottery ticket RB than Cameron Artis-Payne because let's be honest... all those zero-RB teams need help at RB even if the owners are convinced they don't.. 

These are certainly all lottery tickets, but so was DeAngelo Williams last year. 

I've done both MFL10's and FFPC and I don't get the FFPC bashing. Click on the + next to the players
name he goes over into your players column, you hit arrow up or arrow down to re-rank them and
then you can auto draft one pick or auto draft. Not rocket science.

The FFPC draft says "slow" right in the title. Started one Aug 9th and we're at the end of round 11.

I've done both MFL10's and FFPC and I don't get the FFPC bashing. Click on the + next to the players
name he goes over into your players column, you hit arrow up or arrow down to re-rank them and

The FFPC draft says "slow" right in the title. Started one Aug 9th and we're at the end of round 11.
I haven't played the FFPC but I really like it. Deeper leagues are better leagues and take more luck out of the whole thing. The "slow" part is fine, but in all these things if you time out twice that should be it.... you are on auto-draft and you had better make a pre-draft list. 

I did think it was harder to get a full list of rosters on a single page so you know which teams were needy at certain positions.

I like both of them.

Never said it's rocket science.  Here are the specific reasons why I don't particularly like the FFPC interface:

1. Configuring your personal player rankings is a complete disaster.

A) The default list is a trainwreck.  While it will be an advantage because most people won't want to spend the hour or so it takes to rearrange players, I don't particularly want Malcom Floyd showing up in any predraft list above Jared Cook.  C'mon Man!  At least default to something something resembling a rough ADP list.

B) The drag/drop interface is ok for moving players up or down a dozen or so spots.  It was extremely user unfriendly to move players +/- 100+ slots scrolling up the page each time.  Considering the state of the default list, this was excruciating.

C) There is no way to 'delete' a player from your rankings.  L Green concussed and retiring.  Go drag/drop 20 times to get him down far enough.  Ugh.

D) I am only in one league, so I wouldn't know if the changes you make carry over to future leagues or not, but there is no way I'd suffer through this for more than one league.

E) So disappointed there's an export to CSV button, but no import from CSV button, why half ### it?  This would cause all the above issues to go away.

2. Pre-draft/Auto-drafting

A) It's either on/off/or one pick.  No way to handle a turn where you want say 1 RB then 1 WR.  Also if your list is depleted it will autopick from the general pool instead of turning off.  Really no reason to even bother with this, especially with the extra long clock.

Now, MFL is really really far from perfect, but the import player list function and their predraft capabilities are something I really missed while doing a FFPC slow draft.

The

Never said it's rocket science.  Here are the specific reasons why I don't particularly like the FFPC interface:

1. Configuring your personal player rankings is a complete disaster.

A) The default list is a trainwreck.  While it will be an advantage because most people won't want to spend the hour or so it takes to rearrange players, I don't particularly want Malcom Floyd showing up in any predraft list above Jared Cook.  C'mon Man!  At least default to something something resembling a rough ADP list.

B) The drag/drop interface is ok for moving players up or down a dozen or so spots.  It was extremely user unfriendly to move players +/- 100+ slots scrolling up the page each time.  Considering the state of the default list, this was excruciating.

C) There is no way to 'delete' a player from your rankings.  L Green concussed and retiring.  Go drag/drop 20 times to get him down far enough.  Ugh.

D) I am only in one league, so I wouldn't know if the changes you make carry over to future leagues or not, but there is no way I'd suffer through this for more than one league.

E) So disappointed there's an export to CSV button, but no import from CSV button, why half ### it?  This would cause all the above issues to go away.

2. Pre-draft/Auto-drafting

A) It's either on/off/or one pick.  No way to handle a turn where you want say 1 RB then 1 WR.  Also if your list is depleted it will autopick from the general pool instead of turning off.  Really no reason to even bother with this, especially with the extra long clock.

Now, MFL is really really far from perfect, but the import player list function and their predraft capabilities are something I really missed while doing a FFPC slow draft.
The long clock keeps you from picking the wrong guy. This isn't a fast draft where your dealing with position runs. You don't load up dozens of players in your draft list. This is not a "set it and forget it" type draft. Pick out 12 guys and queue them up, if you want to go WR then RB then don't auto draft. If you can't check the draft once in 10 hours to make the WR/RB turn maybe FFPC isn't for you. I like both but MFL drafts have a lot of guys time out. 

Two different style systems to draft best ball-maybe stick with the one you like. I don't think FFPC's intent was to mimic MFL's or vice versa. Maybe FFPC's WAS designed to keep out 100 player queue's. Drafting this early you are going to get L Green type players and you ignore them.

The long clock is not part of my complaint.  My major issue is their default player list, and the extremely unfriendly editing of it.  I think we all can agree that the auto/predraft feature is next to useless.

The long clock is not part of my complaint.  My major issue is their default player list, and the extremely unfriendly editing of it.  I think we all can agree that the auto/predraft feature is next to useless.
I liked the auto draft feature and since this is the MFL10's thread i'm sure you can get some one to agree with you. I just think that FFPC watched dozens of guys enter dozens of MFL's(some 100+) and auto draft teams and decided not to follow that format. Maybe the rate of return is to low for the Wall Street guys to invade with their auto-bots but we never know. I'm done

My top owned players so far:

Wallace, Mike BAL WR    15
Garcon, Pierre WAS WR    14
Hurns, Allen JAC WR    13
Forsett, Justin BAL RB    12
Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR    12
Starks, James GBP RB    12
Colts, Indianapolis IND Def    11
Forte, Matt NYJ RB    11
Kearse, Jermaine SEA WR    11
Austin, Tavon RAM WR 11

Funny thing is I only really like a few guys on that list. Kind of disappointing. 

Forte, Matt NYJ RB    11
Austin, Tavon RAM WR 11

Funny thing is I only really like a few guys on that list. Kind of disappointing. 
I love Nuk, but he's going to regress from last year to more of a backend WR1. A lot of that is because of how much better the team got. 

Forte, Matt NYJ RB    11
Austin, Tavon RAM WR 11

You shouldn't look at it like that, if you only really like a few of those guys you probably got most of them for a pretty good value based on ADP. The only high pick among them is Hopkins.... why were you drafting Hopkins if you didn't really like him? The other guys are more roster fillers and if you can get them  at a good value leaning on the wisdom of crowds isn't a bad way to shore up an area of weakness. 

I have a lot of Garcon/Colts D but I like Hurns where he is going. Wallace seems like he is trending up.

I started doing these back in April and at that time I was really high on Hopkins. Later on came the talk of regression, but I kept drafting him because he was falling to the end of rd1. It does just look like I keep filling in my teams with the same guys which isn't so bad, except I should probably start forcing myself to draft lottery picks rather than veteran values.

In terms of % of your teams what are the numbers? 

It all depends how high variance you want to go. I was all over Eifert in the 10th last year and at some point I got scared because I didn't want 100% exposure.  I'm pretty sure I have near 100% Charles Sims in these things, fingers crossed. 

I don't have a lot of guys I don't "like" because that's not typically how I draft. If I don't like a guy I won't draft him unless extreme value presents itself. 

mrip541 said:
I started doing these back in April and at that time I was really high on Hopkins. Later on came the talk of regression, but I kept drafting him because he was falling to the end of rd1. It does just look like I keep filling in my teams with the same guys which isn't so bad, except I should probably start forcing myself to draft lottery picks rather than veteran values.
That's kind of how I was with Carlos Hyde in the 4th round and Latavius Murray in the 5th. I kept thinking I was going to hammer that value before people caught on but they never moved up so I kept taking them while others are convinced that guys like Jordan Mathews(leaving a fast offense tailor-made for him to an offense that is slow and hates slot WR's) and a 33yo Larry Fitzgerald were more "safe". I still don't get it but I haven't drafted in awhile. Ended up with more of Hyde/Murray than I should probably be exposed to but I'll take that risk. 

My logic of 'New baby means next to no sleep means no timeouts means more leagues I can join' got the better of me.  I'll be ending up with 125 10s and 10 25s.

Now that the bye weeks are finally over I think we can get a clearer picture of where we stand.

It's been a rough season:

1st: 12%

2nd: 4% (!)

3rd: 14%

4th: 12%

I normally never pay attention to my teams in 4th place, but like I said it's been a rough year.

Of my top 3 rosters I have a lot of...

QB - Osweiler/Tannehill/Brees/Flacco/Ryan

RB - Ingram/Hyde/Lacy(!)/Martin/Miller/Murray(oak)

WR - Brown/Heyward-Bey/Thomas(NO)/Williams(DAL)

TE - Olsen/Fleener/Tamme/Witten

DEF - ARZ/BUF

My best team(2079.5) this year started the draft on May 10th. Just goes to show fellas, draft early, draft often! The whole idea that you need to wait until late AUG or early SEP to draft until you know "how everything shakes out" is complete nonsense. Probably the biggest myth in the entire hobby....

1.03 Beckham, Odell NYG WR

2.10 Ingram, Mark NOS RB

3.03 Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR

4.10 Murray, Latavius OAK RB

5.03 Baldwin, Doug SEA WR

6.10 Langford, Jeremy CHI RB

7.03 Olsen, Greg CAR TE

8.10 Walker, Delanie TEN TE

9.03 Thomas, Julius JAC TE

10.10 Brees, Drew NOS QB

11.03 Rivers, Philip SDC QB

12.10 Perriman, Breshad BAL WR

13.03 Howard, Jordan CHI RB

14.10 Williams, DeAngelo PIT RB

15.03 Dorsett, Phillip IND WR

16.10 Ginn Jr., Ted CAR WR

17.03 Sproles, Darren PHI RB

18.10 Bills, Buffalo BUF Def

19.03 Packers, Green Bay GBP Def

20.10 Kearse, Jermaine SEA WR

How you fellas doin'?

I've been posting my results in the 2016 thread.  Painfully getting absolutely zero return on the ten 25s I did, but I'll still be looking at break even $$$ overall plus about 20 free entries next year.  About all I can hang my hat on is the overall #1 scoring team.

I've been posting my results in the 2016 thread.  Painfully getting absolutely zero return on the ten 25s I did, but I'll still be looking at break even $$$ overall plus about 20 free entries next year.  About all I can hang my hat on is the overall #1 scoring team.
Is the draft posted in that thread? When did you draft it?

Wow, it kind of makes you feel sorry for the guy in 2nd place that has scored 2068.... and is nearly 300 points from making any $ in this thing!

First off, props to you for having that dominating team and most of the picks were off a pre-draft list. Average time on the clock was 12 minutes. The only guy on the clock for fewer minutes than yourself was the poor guy that is in 2nd place with a very respectable score and he averaged 1 minute on the clock. The argument against pre-draft lists putting you at a disadvantage took a beating in this league.

I kind of expected you to have drafted a team where either all of your last five pick lotto tickets all hit big[see D.Williams(PIT)2015] OR I expected that you lucked into a league where you got guys way cheaper than they should have gone based on ADP. But that's not how your team was constructed at all. In fact, it's kind of frustrating because it resembles the general formula I used to construct most of my teams but I don't have any with a score that high. 

QB - If there was a mantra to wait, wait, and wait some more on QB last year it may go to absurd levels next season and your success reflects that. Dominating performence and your best QB is #9 in the league drafted #147 overall at a slight value(Stafford).

RB - This is a combination of factors. You actually reached a bit for Murray(TEN) and it payed off big and you had the benefit of both Gordon(SD) and Blount falling an entire round or two. Before the Woodhead injury I was certainly no fan of Gordon so great gem there at pick #94. I really wish I had taken Blount in more leagues(just like every season). This is one where I get too swayed by the "experts" that prattle on about how he only has a role in the offense when NE has a lead(.... ummmm, when don't they?) and his roster spot is not even guaranteed. In the case of all three I was spooked by muddled backfields but have been cornerstones to your success... 3 of the top 8 RB's in your league and you didn't even use a top 50 pick at RB. White was also a steal late, but I saw him go undrafted in several of my leagues. Very well done.

WR - This is the position where you played the most tight to ADP. Rishard Mathews kind of fell to you well after his ADP and I liked him after FA. Liked him less after the draft, both because they brought in a rookie and because with Murray/Henry and all the talk about smashmouth football I wasn't sure how that offense was going to shake out. Then they brought in AJ and I thought this whole scene was just a mess and an offense that didn't seem to fit Mariota to boot. Should have stuck with my gut and taken a chance on Mathews in a few more leagues if for no other reason than he looked so good just before he left MIA.

TE - Probably your worst pick in the entire draft was Gates(and he's on plenty of my rosters as well), but you made up for it by snagging an over-performing Rudolph. They both back up Kelce who was drafted as the #4 TE off the board and is currently the #1 TE. I didn't see #1 as a possible ceiling but his floor was very, very high imo. Success in safe decisions here.

DEF - Like TE, you have the #1 DEF in MIN and only had to draft them as the #8 DEF off the board. Maybe I should learn from you here as I typically draft a top DEF I am convinced will dominate or take my chances with several bottom half defenses. The NYG were another relative bargain being drafted at the bottom of the top 20 and performing so far at the bottom of the top 10. Again, great job.

Well done. I can't wait to see how the strategies evolve in MFL 10's for 2017. I thought there were some real "playing chicken" moments at QB last season(and maybe that's why I ended up with so much of Osweiler as my QB3!) but I expect that trend to go even further in that direction next year. When you look at how QB's are performing this year(Cam #16 drafted #1, Wilson #17 drafted #4, Ryan #3 drafted #19, Cousins #4 drafted #13, Mariota #5 drafted #17 for instance) they may be looked at like team defenses next season by most folks. In fact, I would guess that next year I will draft QB higher than I ever have since the Brees/Rodgers/Manning hey-dey of several years ago.

I'm hoping to have time to do some heavy analysis this offseason.  My off the cuff thoughts:

QB: I feel the 2nd stud group (Brees, Ben, Brady this year) was the sweet spot for value.  Once you wait until the rush starts, you're really leaving things to fate, especially if you stick mostly to ADP.  Who knows where that team would be if I got Romo instead of Stafford for QB2.

RB: The pendulum will swing back here next year in the early rounds.  The worst starter is likely to not last past 7 or 8 instead of 9 or 10 this year.  I'll probably be shifting to more 6RB rosters, and steal a slot from QB or WR depending on how things go.  Having reliable points for 16 weeks is just so difficult to accomplish here.

WR: We'll likely get some super value plays in rounds 6/7/8 like last year with the surge in RB.  I definitely need to parse the hype better at this position as I succumbed to the Kamar Aiken and Torrey Smith theories and my teams really paid for it.

TE: Who knows what will happen here.  This was supposedly a deep position this year, but it turned into a complete dumpster fuego.  I know I'll remain on the 3TE train next year.

It looks like signups are currently closed but an MFL 10 did start three days ago so hopefully they are just getting the kinks out since the upgrade. 

They also mention "some new formats planned as well" listed under the MFL 10 section of "2017 Enhancements". Crossing my fingers that this may mean some deep, deep MFL 10's this year. Some of their draft-and-go competition goes well beyond 20 rounds. It sounds like a lot of players until you actually get to week #15 and you see how almost all the teams have been decimated by injuries. 

http://home.myfantasyleague.com/2017-enhancements/

Users who are viewing this thread