What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Finally got the game on Saturday and played a few hours yesterday after the 8GiB of updates downloaded Saturday night.

So the first thing I've learned is, when the game says I'm not at a high enough level for some monster/ghoul/bandit that I should just run right then. Don't delay just run. Oh, and the chick has a nice ###.
Yup, if the enemy is more than 5-6 levels ahead of you, you more or less have a 0% chance of defeating it. After a couple bad experiences I always check the recommended quests level before starting anything.

To give an update on my play through, I've now been exclusively playing this game for a couple months (which because of kids doesn't mean a lot in terms of total hours) and I just exhausted the Velen/Novigrad quests and undiscovered locations I'm qualified to take on (level 23). got to Skellige and was pretty surprised to see that the map area there is almost as big as Velen. I'll be playing this one for a while.

Finally got the game on Saturday and played a few hours yesterday after the 8GiB of updates downloaded Saturday night.

So the first thing I've learned is, when the game says I'm not at a high enough level for some monster/ghoul/bandit that I should just run right then. Don't delay just run. Oh, and the chick has a nice ###.
Yup, if the enemy is more than 5-6 levels ahead of you, you more or less have a 0% chance of defeating it. After a couple bad experiences I always check the recommended quests level before starting anything.

To give an update on my play through, I've now been exclusively playing this game for a couple months (which because of kids doesn't mean a lot in terms of total hours) and I just exhausted the Velen/Novigrad quests and undiscovered locations I'm qualified to take on (level 23). got to Skellige and was pretty surprised to see that the map area there is almost as big as Velen. I'll be playing this one for a while.
Sweet, good to hear.

Due to life in general I just don't get a lot of gaming time in the summer. I'm still <5 hours into this game since Saturday. I need a 'mental health' day from work where I can just grind all day and figure out combat and get my witcher on.

Yup, if the enemy is more than 5-6 levels ahead of you, you more or less have a 0% chance of defeating it. After a couple bad experiences I always check the recommended quests level before starting anything.To give an update on my play through, I've now been exclusively playing this game for a couple months (which because of kids doesn't mean a lot in terms of total hours) and I just exhausted the Velen/Novigrad quests and undiscovered locations I'm qualified to take on (level 23). got to Skellige and was pretty surprised to see that the map area there is almost as big as Velen. I'll be playing this one for a while.
Sweet, good to hear. Due to life in general I just don't get a lot of gaming time in the summer. I'm still <5 hours into this game since Saturday. I need a 'mental health' day from work where I can just grind all day and figure out combat and get my witcher on.
Just got to Novigrad too. Was trying to grind some quests out after getting my Griffin gear. Looking to move he main quest along now. Not dying so much now (playing the hardest difficult, which was awful at first).

Cannot beat Imrelith. The second phase of the battle just wipes me out in short order. Guess I should have paid more attention to armor.

Cannot beat Imrelith. The second phase of the battle just wipes me out in short order. Guess I should have paid more attention to armor.
I remember struggling with him as well. I remember that dodging and using Quen were big keys to beating him which are both something I didn't do much until then.

question:

I just assembled the group and took them Skellige. How much game do I have left? I want to finish before FO4 but I don't really want to rush through it.

question:

I just assembled the group and took them Skellige. How much game do I have left? I want to finish before FO4 but I don't really want to rush through it.
A few hours? I think there were 4 or so additional quests before you initiate the last battle IIRC.
Thanks.

Does the game stay open after you finish the main quest? Does it "fail" some any quests? (had this happen at one point - before mid-game battle).

question:

A few hours? I think there were 4 or so additional quests before you initiate the last battle IIRC.
Thanks.Does the game stay open after you finish the main quest? Does it "fail" some any quests? (had this happen at one point - before mid-game battle).
It kicks you back to your game state right before you do the final battle, just like Mass Effect 3 did if you played that one.

Apparently there is some DLC that expands the post main quest play but I haven't checked it out yet.

Just battled the wild hunt.
Did you finish the main story?

Here's the endings I got, when I checked out the alternatives, I'm pretty happy.

1. Ciri lives, becomes a Witcher. Geralt has a kickass witcher sword made for her and gives it to her after telling the Nilfgaardian Emperor she's dead.

2. Helped kill Radovid then couldn't let that giant ##### Sigi Reuven kill Roche and Ves so Nilfgaard won the war, but Temeria became a vassal kingdom but with some independence.

3. Geralt retired to Kovir with Triss. Yen was such a bossy, patronising beech, I couldn't get away fast enough.
The ending I got:

1. Ciri died, or at least never to be seen again.

2. Killed Dijsktra and got the vassal kindgom. Cerys ruled Skellige.

3. No idea. In my ending Geralt went nuts, killed the witch and then waited for his death.

So pretty much the Leaving Las Vegas ending. I really didn't realize it was possible to fail so badly, but I managed it. :P
Time for Fallout.

Last edited by a moderator:
So finished up FO4 and installed this today after getting a copy for Christmas.

I've never played a Witcher game before so is there anything I need to look at before going in? I know the basic premise is him being a monster hunter for hire basically, right? Past that, it's all new.

I'm looking forward to it.

Game swept pretty much every RPG-of-the-Year award. Much stronger than what I expected from reading this thread. Will have to pick it up I guess.

I know I'm late to this party, but so far so good. Working my way through all the tutorial missions and such. Hardest thing so far is figuring out the menus/inventory system. Also my vision is nearly perfect and I'm playing on a 60 inch screen and I can still hardly see some of the text. Why would they make it so incredibly small?

All in all though, really good. Incredible graphics, combat seems relatively intuitive (I basically side step, quick hit twice, then move), and the voice work is great.

Oh one last thing, is this the windiest country on the face of the earth? These trees always look like they're about to blow over!

I mentioned earlier that this game wasn't clicking for me. Well, I sat down yesterday around 8:00 am to play, having just finished the tutorial area the previous evening, and I would up playing almost continuously until 9:30 pm, with only meal breaks stuck in there. I guess that means it clicked.

The combat is pretty so-so, but the storylines are a lot of fun. The conclusion of quest with the orphanage in the woods was almost worth the price of the game itself. Like Bucky, I killed the tree and loved the outcome when I went back to the orphanage.

Also, Gwent is hands-down the best game-within-a-game I've encountered. If you watched me play W3, you'd think it was about an aspiring Gwent player who occasionally had to kill a monster because it was standing between him and an innkeeper two towns over who might have a worthwhile card to sell. The AI is really easy to beat at this point, and my deck is grossly overpowered for almost everybody I encounter. The only person I haven't been able to beat is the woman who hangs out with the master armorer, because she has a stacked monster deck that completely overwhelms me when it starts summoning in helpers. I'm sure the end of the main storyline will involve my plucky underdog character finally beating her when I really need to, and her telling her goons "Pay that man his money" a la Teddy KGB. Maybe they'll be a dragon or something mixed in there along the way, but she's obviously the main villain in the game.
So I'm a year behind on this game, but this is where I'm at. I was having a hard time getting into it, but just finished the witches at crook back bog quest and that was incredible. I made the opposite choice from you, but I'll stick with it. 

If you took the story telling and missions of this game with the combat of the souls games, I'd never need anything new.  

Also Gwent!  What a game. I love playing almost more than the game itself.  The depth of strategy in it is quite good 

How much main story do I have left?

Im going to the 3 main areas for allies to fight at Kaer Mohren. I'm honestly getting kinda tired of the game, but if I'm close I want to finish. 

Just a black dot. Have this sitting next in my queue and it's about that time. Yea, I tend to stay on the trailing edge of things.

DallasDMac said:
Just a black dot. Have this sitting next in my queue and it's about that time. Yea, I tend to stay on the trailing edge of things.
 Right there with you. Just got it last night from Streams summer sale.

Loved the base game, but with the expansions (especially Blood and Wine) this probably vaulted into my top 5-7 games of all time. Definitely pick those up if you enjoy the main game even a bit. 

Loved the base game, but with the expansions (especially Blood and Wine) this probably vaulted into my top 5-7 games of all time. Definitely pick those up if you enjoy the main game even a bit. 
Mine came with DLCs. Can't say which. I'd have to get off my ### and go upstairs to look at the case. But I only bought it like a month or two ago.

The DLC made this game significantly better IMO. Base game was around a 6 for me, DLC pushed it to an 8.

I looked at the case. It says I have 16 DLCs, including two which are playable from the Select menu.

Kicked this off. Played maybe an hour and a half. Feel pretty lost right now. Unsure of the controls. No clue on the inventory or how to create or upgrade things. But I am always unsettled with new games. Eventually it clicks, and then I usually restart and love it. I think I'm gonna suck at some aspects of this. For example, it took me 6 or 8 tries to win the first card game in the tavern. I need to take time to play with and understand the powers menu (whatever they are called, shield and whatnot). That'll come with time. So far all I did outside the card game was beat up three guys and then figure out who burned down the blacksmith shop. Hopefully I'll get some more time with it this evening. Right now I had to quit to go to a pop-up granddaughter presentation at the pre-school.

So relax, I will be sure to take the time to bore you with the regalia of my questing through the lands of..... well..... whatever the heck the lands are called in this game.

So I am at level 3. Can I take on the Griffin? I'm getting mighty bored chasing question marks around. I pulled all the papers off the work board or whatever and it didn't give me quests. I take it that it just generates more question marks? All in all, the game really isn't grabbing me right now. Weird because I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim, etc. But I am having trouble getting in to this one. Maybe because I feel lost with most things. Bombs, alchemy, etc.

So I am at level 3. Can I take on the Griffin? I'm getting mighty bored chasing question marks around. I pulled all the papers off the work board or whatever and it didn't give me quests. I take it that it just generates more question marks? All in all, the game really isn't grabbing me right now. Weird because I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim, etc. But I am having trouble getting in to this one. Maybe because I feel lost with most things. Bombs, alchemy, etc.
Yeah not getting into it much either. Don't know much about the backstory so I bought 1 and 2 since they were on sale for $4 on stream. Going to play from the beginning.

Yeah this game ain't for you

Yeah not getting into it much either. Don't know much about the backstory so I bought 1 and 2 since they were on sale for $4 on stream. Going to play from the beginning.
Don't do it. My buddy tried to do this and he said it wasn't worth it and gave up on the first two. 

Some papers are quests.  Some are just notes, amusing things, etc, that don't have a quest. 

If I remember right, some of the notes may just add question marks. Others will add quests into your journal.

Don't recall what level I fought the griffin at.   Once you've figured out how to fight well tactically, I'd think you could probably take it at any level.  I hadn't figured it out at that point though.

Stick to the main and secondary quests for a while if you are having trouble staying interested and give that a shot (don't take the contracts or just go hunting question marks). Level 3 should be fine for the griffin. If you are on normal difficulty, don't worry about alchemy or bombs. I played through twice without ever using bombs. Level up your quen sign and fast sword strike skills, and get good at dodging and rolling and you will be fine. 

So Alchemy has two kinds of things.  Potions that you can drink for a bonus (like holding your breath longer for going underwater).   And oils that you can apply to your weapon and do damage to a specific type of creature.  The oil stays on the weapon until you've hit with it as many times as the doses it has.

Also, every time you sleep, both types of items automatically replenish themselves, so long as you have the right alcohols on you.  So once you make it once, you don't need to keep getting those same components every time to make more.

And I rarely used bombs either. There are a few things that an anti-magic bomb can be helpful to keep them from teleporting. But since I never put points into bombs they were too underpowered for me later in the game.

Don't do it. My buddy tried to do this and he said it wasn't worth it and gave up on the first two. 
I've played through them all - W1 was great at the time but has aged poorly. I think W2 was great and is perfectly playable now, but it's not as accessible or polished as 3. 

@DallasDMac and @Mile High

Don't keep trying to plow through if it isn't grabbing you. I say this as someone who loves this game. It's a really long game and if you're not enjoying it early, it's probably not your cup of tea. 

The other thing is that sometimes it's not the right time for certain games. If you put it down now you might want to come back to it at some point. If get a decent amount into and put it down, you'll never come back to it. You'll forget too much about the stories, characters and mechanics. So either you'll restart anyways or get mad and never touch it again. 

Again, if you aren't enjoying it early, just walk away. 

The fighting parts are really about learning good tactics.  It's a continual strike and dodge, strike and dodge.  And always have quen on since it lasts until you're struck.  Which I didn't realize for quite awhile, I thought it had a timer or something from when I fought the trainer at the start of the game. Guess he just always hit me quick.

I've played through them all - W1 was great at the time but has aged poorly. I think W2 was great and is perfectly playable now, but it's not as accessible or polished as 3. 
"Playable" and "aged poorly" probably aren't the best options for someone who is struggling to get into W3.

@DallasDMac@Mile High

The other thing is that sometimes it's not the right time for certain games. If you put it down now you might want to come back to it at some point. If get a decent amount into and put it down, you'll never come back to it. You'll forget too much about the stories, characters and mechanics. So either you'll restart anyways or get mad and never touch it again. 

Again, if you aren't enjoying it early, just walk away. 
Totally get this and you may be dead on. The first time I loaded DAI up, I was not in to it at all. Came back months later, and ended up running through it with several builds.

Thanks for all the other tips and advice too. I think I am doing well with fighting. Dark Souls experience definitely helping there. I was taking on level four monsters (even some big bear) at level two and took it out with nary a scratch. So I think I will grapple with the griffin.

As for board notes, thanks for that. I cleared that thing out at least twice and only got one single quest from it! I guess I just expected more. My completed quests list looks huge though, so I guess the question marks count there. I think all I have remaining in the starter area is two ? and one bandit camp and then it is clear. So I'll likely finish it then move on a  bit and see if it grabs me. Maybe I just need time to come down off XCOM 2 mode. If not, then I'll take Borden's advice and come back to it lately.

I don't know if it would help someone get into a game, but the Witcher stories/novels are quick fun reads.  The first two, which are collections of short stories, introduce a lot of the world.  I haven't played any of the games, but I've enjoyed the stories. 

Only took a few seconds to clear out the rest of the starting area. All I have left is the Griffin. I feel like I must be missing some quests because I only ran in to like one or two of those exclamation point type quests. Seems there should have been more? And dang it if I'm not always short of cash.

Once you get out of the first area, the money starts to come in a lot easier.
Cool, thanks. I went and looked at the IGN Walkthru page just now. Apparently I actually did six or seven quests. But I stumbled on all them just exploring so never actually saw the exclamation point icon to start them. Basically I completed quests for the most part with no idea that I was even on a quest. So truly nothing left at this point but the griffin.

Cool, thanks. I went and looked at the IGN Walkthru page just now. Apparently I actually did six or seven quests. But I stumbled on all them just exploring so never actually saw the exclamation point icon to start them. Basically I completed quests for the most part with no idea that I was even on a quest. So truly nothing left at this point but the griffin.
That's exactly what I did. Even down to going to IGN to see what I did. 

Reading your posts about starting this game is oddly enjoyable. I really hope you enjoy the game. It's like hearing someone's thoughts as they read through your favourite book. 

Once you get out of the first area, the money starts to come in a lot easier.
What I found happened a lot is you run into things that you have no business fighting until later in the game. I won more often than I lost though....they were long battles though. I remember one that took about 40 minutes of me hit, hit, roll, roll...just plinking away at his health. Think it was an earth troll?

What I found happened a lot is you run into things that you have no business fighting until later in the game. I won more often than I lost though....they were long battles though. I remember one that took about 40 minutes of me hit, hit, roll, roll...just plinking away at his health. Think it was an earth troll?
Yes, that was one of the things I like about games like this. That you can go into areas way above your level, and give it a go anyway. Lets there always be as much challenge as you like.

Though running into those arachnid things at much higher level than me was a royal pain. I could kill one if I could get him away from the group, but it was hard to finish them off before our fight would roam far enough the rest would come help.

Yes, that was one of the things I like about games like this. That you can go into areas way above your level, and give it a go anyway. Lets there always be as much challenge as you like.

Though running into those arachnid things at much higher level than me was a royal pain. I could kill one if I could get him away from the group, but it was hard to finish them off before our fight would roam far enough the rest would come help.
Yeah I remember that as well, it sucked. Every time I saw the skull over an enemies head I had to go see what it was lol.

So Alchemy has two kinds of things.  Potions that you can drink for a bonus (like holding your breath longer for going underwater).   And oils that you can apply to your weapon and do damage to a specific type of creature.  The oil stays on the weapon until you've hit with it as many times as the doses it has.

Also, every time you sleep, both types of items automatically replenish themselves, so long as you have the right alcohols on you.  So once you make it once, you don't need to keep getting those same components every time to make more.

And I rarely used bombs either. There are a few things that an anti-magic bomb can be helpful to keep them from teleporting. But since I never put points into bombs they were too underpowered for me later in the game.
On higher difficulty sleeping does not replenish health

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition is on sale now for $30.  Worth buying this game?  I think the Complete Edition means it includes the expansion games.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition is on sale now for $30.  Worth buying this game?  I think the Complete Edition means it includes the expansion games.
If you enjoy RPG's 100% worth it.  Got it on sale a couple months back and just finished the main game and first DLC over the 4th of July weekend.  REALLY long game if you are doing all the side quests witcher contracts and exploring, I think I'm around 200 hours.

Stick to the main and secondary quests for a while if you are having trouble staying interested and give that a shot (don't take the contracts or just go hunting question marks). Level 3 should be fine for the griffin. If you are on normal difficulty, don't worry about alchemy or bombs. I played through twice without ever using bombs. Level up your quen sign and fast sword strike skills, and get good at dodging and rolling and you will be fine. 
The game also does a pretty good job of putting a suggested level by most of the quests.  If you follow that for the most part you will be ok once you get used to the combat.  As far as extras, I'd start figuring out using signs in combat first, I mainly used the shield (Quen) or the force push (Aard) (knocks down fliers, ie griffen) in combat.  For bombs, I never really used them in combat, just build a base grapeshot bomb as that allows you to destroy the monster nests, and maybe play with them a little later as they could make some combat a little easier.  Oils you can hold off on until you start to hit some battles that you just can't win and need an edge, then you can start looking at crafting the appropriate oils for that monster type which can be found in the beastary.  Potions you can probably worry about last, I rarely needed them and got most of my in combat healing from food/drinks used during combat.  Crafting can also be held for a little later also when you get more "into" the game. Again I started crafting when I hit a monster I couldn't kill after multiple attempts and decided I needed some quick upgrades.

If you are above normal difficulty you'd probably need to figure all this out earlier as you need those small edges potions, bombs, and oils give you in more battles.

Biggest recommendation if you are having trouble getting into it is to run some story missions to get going and see what you think.  I tend to do ALL sides before I touch story missions as some with some games you hit a point you didn't know about and a whole bunch of old quests disappear.  With this game that only happens one or two times and it's pretty clear about it.

Users who are viewing this thread