What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest is LIVE (2 Viewers)

TE Olsen

TE Bennett

TE Chandler

Went 2 stud TEs but no Gronk hopefully he doesn't kill me. Chandler could be big if Gronk gets hurt and even if not could have a few good weeks.
One of my more robust internal debates was Olsen+Benet with a few dollars leftover vs. Gronk+eifert.

In the end I felt Gronk would be more likely to win this thing while the other two would have to time their big games right to have that work out. Plus I have Olsen in 3 of my money leagues and Gronk in none. Interesting to see you pair the other side and range chandler.

I have always been a more is better kind of guy, my strategy has remained unchanged for a few years - get a decent QB, find a stud RB and 3 TEs, 3 Ks, and 3 Ds, and get 8-10 low-priced WRs. Last year I did go all in on the three stud TEs.

I've never been out early, but I have also never made it really late into the season - always going out in that week 8-10 range.

So a couple of days ago I put together my roster, and it followed the same basic strategy, I ended up with 23 guys, and a lot of high upside WRs, but no sure things. Then I just decided to throw it all away in favor of a small roster that either stays healthy - and I have a chance to put up big scores, or I get hit with injuries, and I could go out early.

QBs

Brady - $14

Cousins - $3

All in on Brady and the Patriots saying #### You to the NFL this season - the price reflected more of a 4 game suspension, so I thought it was good value all on its own. Cousins is only a early Bye-week filler, if he has to play, my season is over. I looked at a couple of combinations here involving Bradford and other similarly priced QBs, but just felt like Brady offered the safest upside - not Luck or Rodgers upside, but more like a high floor.

RBs

Bell $32

Charles $31

Gore $22

No room for error here - 1 injury could be a real problem since they all have late byes. At one point I had Peterson instead of Gore, but needed the money elsewhere. Essentially, I am counting on these guys each contributing every week. Gore is the biggest risk (aside from being dumped in weeks 1-2 while Bell is suspended), but I like his chances on a potentially high scoring offense.

WRs

Brown $33

C. Johnson $16

Landry $15

Adams $9

S. Johnson $8

Amendola $3

It may not seem like much, but I have never gone for a #1 WR type before, so I feel a little strange, even with just Brown as my 1 go to guy. Obviously a big risk with Brown and L. Bell having a week 11 bye - but those are the only two players I'll have out (other than a kicker). I think Johnson, Landry and Adams can consistently out perform their price - so a little bit less of a gamble. S. Johnson and Amendola are really just emergency players

TEs

Gronk $33

Eifert $9

I have always gone for 3 TEs - kind of a more-the-merrier strategy, and last year even went with the big 3 to take advantage of the scoring rules for TEs. This year, it looked like Gronk was head and shoulders above the competition, and so even though I tried various combinations using some next-tier TEs, I always came back to missing Gronk. But, budget being what it was, it left room for only 1 more TE - I like Eifert, and think he can really outperform his price here.

Ks and Ds

Prater $4, Walsh $4, Scobee $2

Colts $5, Jaguars $4, Bears $3

3 just feels like the right number here - I also needed 5 total here just to get to 18 players. Scobee at $2 seemed like a no-brainer with his move to Pit, the rest are more grab a name out of the hat.

So, smaller roster - 19 - spent big on RBs, A. Brown, and Gronk, filled in with some flyers. Not sure I ended up with the right mix of WRs, but we'll see.

Reposting with comments:

QB - Andrew Luck - IND/10 - $26
QB - Tyrod Taylor - BUF/8 - $5
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick - NYJ/5 - $3

I hope to only have Taylor/Fitz count for me on Luck's bye week (or a fluke monster week). Considered Luck/Brady but decided to spend the extra $6 elsewhere as I think Luck will give me pretty dependable production.

RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/5 - $32
RB - Jeremy Hill - CIN/7 - $25
RB - Danny Woodhead - SD/10 - $12
RB - Khiry Robinson - NO/11 - $5
RB - Cameron Artis-Payne - CAR/5 - $4

Two studs. Woodhead should do well PPR, and the other two are backing up guys with less-than-stellar health history.

WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/11 - $33
WR - John Brown - ARI/9 - $12
WR - Davante Adams - GB/7 - $9
WR - Devin Funchess - CAR/5 - $5
WR - Eddie Royal - CHI/7 - $4
WR - Jaelen Strong - HOU/9 - $3

Again, wanted a stud to anchor the group. Adams, Funchess, and Royal seem like good bargains at their prices after injuries to teammates.

TE - Rob Gronkowski - NE/4 - $33
TE - Travis Kelce - KC/9 - $20

I tried bargain-priced TEs last year and suffered for it.

PK - Graham Gano - CAR/5 - $3
PK - Josh Scobee - PIT/11 - $2
PK - Ryan Succop - TEN/4 - $2
PK - Kai Forbath - WAS/8 - $2

Cheap/volume

TD - Jacksonville Jaguars - JAX/8 - $4
TD - Chicago Bears - CHI/7 - $3
TD - Oakland Raiders - OAK/6 - $3

Streamers based primarily on trying to hit a rookie and/or bad QB as many weeks as possible.

[SIZE=10pt]QB – Drew Brees – NO/11 - $17[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]QB - Tom Brady - NE/4 - $14[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Brady must be obvious, most seem to have him. I hated the week 11 bye with Brees, but love having both and am comfortable counting on Brady alone for one week.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]RB – Eddie Lacy – GB/7 - $32[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]RB – Adrian Peterson – MIN/5 - $32[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]RB – Ameer Abdullah – DET/9 - $14[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]RB – Darren Sproles – PHI/8 - $11[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Went with 2 studs with earlier bye weeks. Had Leveon Bell in forever, but the late bye scared me off. Paired my studs with good PPR players who should have big days and get some passes every week.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]WR - Julio Jones - ATL/10 - $26[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]WR – Brandon Cooks - NO/11 - $21[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]WR - Davante Adams - GB/7 - $9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]WR – Marcus Wheaton – PIT/11 - $5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]WR – Phillip Dorsett – IND/10 - $5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]WR – Eddie Royal – CHI/7 - $4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Really wanted Julio this year, should be a great anchor for my team. Surprised he seems to be on most rosters considering the late bye. I considered Cooks the number 1 with a great QB, price was something I could not pass. Adams and Wheaton are starters with very good QBs and excellent values. Dorsett was a swing for the fences. I believe in his talent and expect a few big games during the year. He may even be a consistent contributor late in the season. Eddie Royal has history with Cutler and should get targets every week. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I struggled a bit with having 2 WRs on byes 3 times, Bug my studs are not on bye the same week and I have others to cover the flexes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]TE - Rob Gronkowski - NE/4 - $33[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]TE – Tyler Eifert – CIN/7 - $9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]TE – Mercedes Lewis – JAC/8 - $3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Gronk was a must for me, even at the high price. With 1.5PPR for TEs he may be the most valuable player in the contest. Also love the early bye week. Eifert looks like a breakout candidate, have believed in him since his rookie year. Lewis was a bit of a flyer, but with JT out I thought he will get targets early that will hopefully carry over to later in the year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]PK – Josh Scobee – PIT/11 - $2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]PK – Ryan Succop – TN/4 - $2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Three $2 kickers [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/10 - $3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]TD – Tennessee Titans – TN/4 - $3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TD – Chicago Bears – CHI/7 - $3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Went with three $3 kickers. Had a few higher priced one in there at times, but needed the dollars at other positions. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
You have twenty minutes to copy the winner:

Your team has been successfully entered.

QB - Tom Brady - NE/4 - $14

QB - Kirk Cousins - WAS/8 - $3

RB - C.J. Anderson - DEN/7 - $27

RB - Todd Gurley - STL/6 - $22

RB - Doug Martin - TB/6 - $12

WR - Julio Jones - ATL/10 - $26

WR - Allen Hurns - JAX/8 - $6

WR - Phillip Dorsett - IND/10 - $5

WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/9 - $3

WR - Danny Amendola - NE/4 - $3

WR - Corey Brown - CAR/5 - $2

TE - Greg Olsen - CAR/5 - $21

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2

TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/10 - $5

TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/4 - $3
Tom Brady $14 0.00 bye

Derek Carr $7 0.00 bye

Tyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.J. Anderson $27 0.00 bye

Latavius Murray $21 0.00 bye

Ameer Abdullah $14 0.00 bye

Danny Woodhead $12 0.00 bye

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye

John Brown $12 0.00 bye

DeVante Parker $11 0.00 bye

Davante Adams $9 0.00 bye

Steve Johnson $8 0.00 bye

Eddie Royal $4 0.00 bye

Donte Moncrief $4 0.00 bye

Tyler Lockett $3 0.00 bye

Rob Gronkowski $33 0.00 bye

Greg Olsen $21 0.00 bye

Graham Gano $3 0.00 bye

Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye

Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00 bye

Miami Dolphins $7 0.00 bye

Cincinnati Bengals $5 0.00 bye

Ended up with a 27 man roster. Didn't seriously consider anything less than 23 and floated between 25-28 for the most part this year.

2 QB - $32

7 RB - $61

8 WR - $79

4 TE - $48

3 D - $19

3 K - $11

Tony Romo $17

Matthew Stafford $15

Brady was on virtually all of my rosters up until last couple of days. Might be a mistake particularly with rostering Gronk, but thought this might give me some more uniqueness if I make it to final 250. I'm not all that confident in Stafford, but if he blows up along with Calvin - will like that stack.

Lamar Miller $24

Isaiah Crowell $13

Ryan Mathews $8

Matt Jones $8

Christine Michael $3

Juwaun Thompson $3

Mike Tolbert $3

Strategy here was to skimp and hope for the best in weeks 14-16 if I make it that far. I had very good success several years ago with a similar strategy, and given the pricey-ness of RB points - thought it was a decent strategy this year as well. Had Miller/Abdullah/Martin for the longest time, but wanted to re-direct some $ to a 2nd stud WR.

Julio $26

Calvin $25

Davante Adams $9

Phillip Dorsett $5

Eddie Royal $4

Donte Moncrief $4

Tyler Lockett $3

Danny Amendola $3

Julio if not on all of my iterations was on 95%+ of them. Calvin was a late add, but should be a bargain if he reverts to his old form. I actually love the IND WR3 and WR4 for $9, should provide some sporadic good games and could be huge if Andre or Hilton go down with an injury. Thought about trying to fade Adams, but the value is too good to pass up. Because I have Adams, didn't like the versions of my roster with Cobb as well.

Gronk $33

Reed $7

Richard Rodgers $5

Jeff Cumberland $3

To Gronk or not to Gronk? That is the question. I think certain stud WRs are better pt/$ plays - but hard to pass up the points in the TE column when I have more quantity in WR. Thought about Gates briefly when taking Gronk out. Reed with Paul out was a lock for me. Injuries are obviously a question, but complete value at $7 when healthy.

Bailey $5

Prater $4

Scobee $2

Cardinals $7

Dolphins $7

Colts $5

This more aggressive pricing on K/DEF is no bueno, forces some hard decisions. I started off with the cheapest options here and kept creeping up when I had extra $ and was comfortable with my offensive positions.

You have twenty minutes to copy the winner:

Your team has been successfully entered.

QB - Kirk Cousins - WAS/8 - $3

RB - Todd Gurley - STL/6 - $22

WR - Phillip Dorsett - IND/10 - $5

WR - Corey Brown - CAR/5 - $2

TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/10 - $5

I have 10 of these.

-QG
I have 18.

Well here's mine....

RB - Ameer Abdullah - DET/9 - $14

RB - Christine Michael - DAL/6 - $3

WR - Cole Beasley - DAL/6 - $4

TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/7 - $9

I have 16 of the same players.

Had Abdullah, Martin, Julio, Adams, Royal, and my TEs on every iteration of my team.

Seeing as with the scoring system it's more beneficial to flex the WR or TE position, I went thin at RB this year. Opening myself up for some risk at the position, but I think my WRs should make up for it. Counting on them to have monster weeks.

I don't care too much about having variance in my roster. I'll go with who I think is the lesser owned player if I'm between two players at the same price point, but it's not something I think of too much. I mainly just look at who I think are the best values. My goal is to give myself the best chance of surviving through the bye weeks, and then hope I get lucky at the end of the contest. Avoided putting too much production on one bye week, and most of my players have early byes. I also think it's useful to avoid rostering too many players from the same team as I feel it reduces your team's overall weekly scoring ceiling, so most of my players are on different teams.

QB - Sam Bradford - PHI/8 - $13

Switched my QBs around a ton. Was thinking about going with a Brees/Winston combo because of their great combined schedule and I'm high on Brees at that price point, but the late bye scared me off. Had Tannehill early on, and had Carson Palmer on my team a bunch of times, but in the end I just couldn't pass up on the Brady/Bradford combo. The price is great, you get great upside, and the risk of Bradford going down and being left with no QB during a bye week is lessened some by the early Brady bye. Bradford should last at least until week 5, right?

RB - Chris Ivory - NYJ/5 - $15

RB - Matt Jones - WAS/8 - $7

I had LeVeon on most of my rosters, but I got scared off by the late bye. I was worried that some of my guys will go down with injuries, and I'll be even thinner than I am right now by the time week 11 rolls around. The risk was too much for me last night, but waking up this morning I honestly wish I went for it. Whoops.

Love the values of Ivory, Abdullah, and Martin. Should be solid streaming for the RB2 spot, and I think Jones will have some big games as well even if he doesn't take the starting job. Also heavily considered cheap RBs like Matthews, Andre Williams, Denard Robinson, and Christine Michael. I also think Ingram, Gore, and Forsett are great values, but couldn't make them work with the bye weeks of other players I wanted more.

Not a huge fan of taking fliers on RBs. Feel like there's a high chance of wasting money, and there's a greater chance of cheap WRs busting out than the cheap RBs. I might be wrong in that assessment, but that's what my thinking was.

WR - Allen Robinson - JAC/8 - $17

WR - Jarvis Landry - MIA/5 - $15

WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/11 - $5

This is the position I'm counting on to carry my team, hopefully getting monster weeks in the two WR spots and solid flex production. Wanted Calvin on my team, but decided to go with more depth. Not too confident he can make it through the whole season completely healthy.

Most are obvious values with the exception of Allen Robinson. I think he could be in for a bigger year than most think. Also considered Steve Johnson, Allen Hurns, Funchess, Philly Brown, and Dorsett.

TE - Jordan Reed - WAS/8 - $7

First year I'm not going with a 2 stud TE approach. Was pretty much locked in with these guys the entire time. Loving Olsen this year, and I love the values of Eifert and Reed. They could flex for me some weeks.

PK - Randy Bullock - HOU/9 - $3

PK - Kai Forbath - WAS/8 - $2

Just wanted three cheap kickers with different bye weeks. Removed a $2 WR to put an extra dollar into both PK and TD. Upgraded from Janikowski to Bullock.

TD - New York Giants - NYG/11 - $4

TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/10 - $3

ATL and TEN have a nice combined schedule, and then went with what is the highest projected $4 TD.

I think I made it to the top 500 last year with super thin 18 player roster, including rolling with Peyton as my only QB. Have almost always gone with a small roster in the past, decided to mix it up this year with mid-sized 25 player team. This contest is probably my favorite part of the fantasy football season, so I'll probably get cut week 4. :D

[SIZE=10pt]Sam Bradford $13 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Teddy Bridgewater $12 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Jay Cutler $10 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]C.J. Anderson $27 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Chris Ivory $15 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ameer Abdullah $14 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Doug Martin $12 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ryan Mathews $8 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Christine Michael $3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Brandin Cooks $21 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Jeremy Maclin $16 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Charles Johnson $16 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Jarvis Landry $15 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Davante Adams $9 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Devin Funchess $5 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Eddie Royal $4 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Greg Olsen $21 0.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Eric Ebron $7 0.00 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Jordan Reed $7 0.00 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Kai Forbath $2 0.00 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Josh Scobee $2 0.00 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]San Diego Chargers $3 0.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Oakland Raiders $3 0.00 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Chicago Bears $3 0.00 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

Based on the Contest Querier, here are the %s of each roster size.

13,665 Total Teams

18 players - 4,156 teams - 30.4%

19 players - 1,774 teams - 13.0%

20 players - 1,412 teams - 10.3%

21 players - 1,180 teams - 8.6%

22 players - 1,118 teams - 8.2%

23 players - 893 teams - 6.5%

24 players - 749 teams - 5.5%

25 players - 637 teams - 4.7%

26 players - 468 teams - 3.4%

27 players - 366 teams - 2.7%

28 players - 268 teams - 2.0%

29 players - 243 teams - 1.8%

30 players - 401 teams - 2.9%

So over half the entries have a roster of 18-20 players.

Here's mine:

Tom Brady $14

Sam Bradford $13

Kirk Cousins $3

...Had Ben/Winston here for most of the submission period, but the Week 11 bye scared me off Ben in the end (and concerns about Winston). Hard to resist Brady with a week 4 bye at that price.

C.J. Anderson $27

Jonathan Stewart $18

Ameer Abdullah $14

Matt Jones $7

Khiry Robinson $5

Christine Michael $3

Mike Tolbert $3

...Hoping Stewart can stay healthy; if not, Tolbert could be in line for more action (regardless, there's talk of Tolbert playing some WR, which is good for PPR). Had Doug Martin in there for a good portion of the period, but generally swapped him out for the Jones/Michael combo in the end.

Mike Evans $23

Amari Cooper $19

John Brown $12

Davante Adams $9

Steve Johnson $8

Eddie Royal $4

Corey Brown $2

...I thought there was a lot of good value in the mid/lower value ranks of WRs, so I didn't spent too crazy here. I think Evans should improve on his numbers (despite my concerns about Winston, he should still be better than McCown). I think Cooper is going to have a good rookie year as well.

Greg Olsen $21

Dwayne Allen $12

Tyler Eifert $9

Jeff Cumberland $3

...Have Olsen on a lot of my redraft teams; I think he's in line for a lot of catches. Had Ebron in here most of the period, but made a late swap to upgrade from him to Allen and saved some bucks elsewhere. Thought Cumberland could provide some value at $3 with Amaro out for the year.

Dan Bailey $5

Josh Scobee $2

...Kickers

St. Louis Rams $10

Pittsburgh Steelers $4

...Like the Rams defense this year, and an early bye.

Tom Brady $14

Ryan Fitzpatrick $3

Kirk Cousins $3

Frank Gore $22

Mark Ingram $20

Jonathan Stewart $18

Ameer Abdullah $14

Ryan Mathews $8

Matt Jones $7

Christine Michael $3

Odell Beckham Jr $31

Julio Jones $26

Davante Adams $9

Dorial Green-Beckham $7

Devin Funchess $5

Eddie Royal $4

Tyler Lockett $3

Rob Gronkowski $33

Gavin Escobar $3

Randy Bullock $3

Josh Scobee $2

Miami Dolphins $7

Indianapolis Colts $5

I expect to be eliminated in Week 5 or something. But hey, maybe OBJ is the next Jerry Rice and will carry me all season long... !

Got slammed with work and the kids and didn't have any time to make changes Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tony Romo $17
Sam Bradford $13
Marcus Mariota $7

Had Roethlisberger in a lot of my iterations, but ultimately went with Romo instead. I think Bradford has a really nice season if he stays healthy. I also like Mariota a lot more than the other cheap guys -- I think he's gonna be a good one and will have flashes this year.

Arian Foster $26
Jeremy Hill $25
Chris Ivory $15
Darren McFadden $11
Alfred Blue $8
Denard Robinson $5

Ultimately went with Foster after going back and forth. I figured that rostering him basically mandated rostering Blue as well. I don't love my RBs early, but if Foster does make it back in early October (as some are indicating) AND I make it that long, I think he has the best per-game average the rest of the season.

Jordan Matthews $21
Andre Johnson $19
John Brown $12
Davante Adams $9
Eddie Royal $4
Cole Beasley $4
Aaron Dobson $3
Corey Brown $2

Had other variants with a stud WR at the top. If I would have had time to make changes, I would have done something different than Corey Brown. He was little more than a place holder for me. I really like Beasley's and Dobson's random big-game potential. I don't love Adams or Royal all that much, but at those price points they were basically required rostering, IMO. I think Funchess (another child of the hype machine this pre-season) is going to flop bigger than crap.

Heath Miller $10
Owen Daniels $8
Eric Ebron $7

Meh, followed by 2 potential big seasons or flops. Daniels seemed pretty cheap to my eye. Ebron will improve significantly over last year I hope. I actually think Pitt's offense is crazy good this year, with Miller being a consistent contributor with decent, not great, stats each week. His value will come when he gets into the endzone.

Dan Bailey $5
Josh Scobee $2
Ryan Succop $2

Came back to 3 PK, like always. I figure having 3 gives me a better chance to get randomly lucky.

Arizona Cardinals $7
Minnesota Vikings $5
San Diego Chargers $3

See PK above.

QB - Ryan Tannehill - MIA/5 - $15

Went light on QBs and I hate Brady but the dood is gonna bring the pain all yr to the league... (dood is spelled that way to express the level of o... Offense)

Tannehill is underrated IMO and could have some weeks with rushing bonuses. Nearly threw in Tyrod and regretting not throwing him in there a little.

RB - Isaiah Crowell - CLE/11 - $13

Big believer that the sheriff will be handing the ball off a ton and CJ is built for it... Abdullah is set to explode and I just don't trust joique bell to be healthy... I believe Crow is not getting the love he should... I feel like he could really take this backfield and not let it go plus I don't feel like many people trust him enough to put him in their lineups... Martin prolly owned more than I thought he'd be... Woodhead could have a much larger role especially with Gates gone for the first 4... He is a trusted target and protector of rivers which will keep him on the field a ton

Flier with Michael obviously

WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/11 - $33

WR - Brandin Cooks - NO/11 - $21

WR - Jarvis Landry - MIA/5 - $15

All smurfs all the time... It's gonna be an issue wk 11 but I believe that despite New Orleans trying to become more run oriented I believe they are going to need to pass pass pass because their D is bad bad bad... The same can be said for the Steelers D being bad so Brown still gonna eat like a fat kid at a buffet... Big believer in Landry as he will be moved all over the formation all yr... John Brown hype is real but I imagine he is highly owned... Hate cutler but believe Royal could surprise and again their D is gonna disappoint...

Lockett is a Flier who may force himself on the field

TE - Jared Cook - STL/6 - $7

TE - Richard Rodgers - GB/7 - $5

Olsen is a no brainer for me... I wish I knew how to quit Jared Cook but I think THIS is his yr (just like every other yr prior)

Rodgers prolly isn't owned heavily and for good reason but I don't believe in James Jones revival and Rodgers could surprise

Seriously not gonna talk about kickers

TD - Miami Dolphins - MIA/5 - $7

TD - Cincinnati Bengals - CIN/7 - $5

Mammals, Tigers, and Pirates oh my!!!

Suh, Atkins, & Mack

Tom Brady $14
Sam Bradford $13
Tyrod Taylor $5
Kirk Cousins $3

Couldn't see spending tons at QB when you can get 4 starters for a little more than the cost of a top stud.

Jeremy Hill $25
LeGarrette Blount $16
Chris Ivory $15
Doug Martin $12
Cameron Artis-Payne $4

Hill has gotten a lot more hype than I expected. Blount is a lock for double digit TDs. Ivory and Martin are cheap options that should get a lot of touches. And does anyone remember the last time Jonathan Stewart was healthy for more than a month?

Julio Jones $26

DeAndre Hopkins $23
Jeremy Maclin $16
Brian Quick $9
Davante Adams $9
Devin Funchess $5
Markus Wheaton $5
Eddie Royal $4
Tyler Lockett $3
Danny Amendola $3

Two studs and then a whole bunch of cheap NFL starters. Again, didn't see the point in loading up on more expensive players when you could get 3-4 starters for the same price.

Tyler Eifert $9
Owen Daniels $8
Jordan Reed $7
Scott Chandler $3

I have Gronk on as many teams as I could get him, but felt his price tag was too limiting in this contest. IMO, the experts are sleeping on Chandler. He will have a much bigger role in the offense than anyone has projected him. Someone of this group should have a decent score each week.

Sebastian Janikowski $2
Kai Forbath $2
Josh Scobee $2

Jacksonville Jaguars $4
San Diego Chargers $3

I have not ever done a thorough analysis on kickers or defenses in this contest, but I am inclined to think that neither one scores enough and there is not enough separation in a best ball format to invest heavily in either one. Sure, a team or a kicker might blow up one week, but I don't recall too many times when that was a sustainable thing.

Andrew Luck $26
Tyrod Taylor $5
Adrian Peterson $32
Jeremy Hill $25
Doug Martin $12
Andre Williams $5
Jordan Matthews $21
Jeremy Maclin $16
John Brown $12
Davante Adams $9
Markus Wheaton $5
Cole Beasley $4
Rob Gronkowski $33
Jimmy Graham $23
Robbie Gould $3
Sebastian Janikowski $2
Josh Scobee $2
Oakland Raiders $3
New Orleans Saints $3
Atlanta Falcons $3
Tennessee Titans $3
Chicago Bears $3

Overall, took a low number of players. Injuries will hurt me hard if they happen but looking at the top winners in the past, you have to be lucky enough not to have key injuries no matter how many players you have.

Andy Dalton $9
Kirk Cousins $3
Ryan Fitzpatrick $3

Went REAL cheap at QB. Dalton/Cousins is one of the better low $ streams on paper but we'll see.

LeVeon Bell $32 0.00
Marshawn Lynch $27 0.00
Justin Forsett $25 0.00
Doug Martin $12 0.00

Last couple years I wasted money on cheap flyers at RB so none of those this year. None of the cheap ones looked any good this year anyway.

Dez Bryant $30
Jarvis Landry $15
Davante Adams $9
Allen Hurns $6
Eddie Royal $4
Danny Amendola $3

With more cap space, I would've spent it on more cheap guys like Corey Brown or Jarius Wright. This will have to do. I imagine I'll be flexing TE and RB most weeks.

Rob Gronkowski $33
Greg Olsen $21
Brent Celek $3

I imagine the stud duo of Gronk/Olsen to be popular. Love both of them and I image I'll be flexing here most weeks.

Graham Gano $3
Dan Carpenter $3

Meh.

Indianapolis Colts $5
Tampa Bay Buccaneers $4

Meh.

Based on the Contest Querier, here are the %s of each roster size.

13,665 Total Teams

18 players - 4,156 teams - 30.4%

19 players - 1,774 teams - 13.0%

20 players - 1,412 teams - 10.3%

21 players - 1,180 teams - 8.6%

22 players - 1,118 teams - 8.2%

23 players - 893 teams - 6.5%

24 players - 749 teams - 5.5%

25 players - 637 teams - 4.7%

26 players - 468 teams - 3.4%

27 players - 366 teams - 2.7%

28 players - 268 teams - 2.0%

29 players - 243 teams - 1.8%

30 players - 401 teams - 2.9%

So over half the entries have a roster of 18-20 players.
as a 27 player owner, I'm happy to be top 10% in something.

Jameis Winston $10 0.00 bye
Tyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye
Ryan Fitzpatrick $3 0.00 bye
Kirk Cousins $3 0.00 bye

I think Tyrod ends up being a huge value but these QBs also all play off each others schedules quite well. I was tempted to go Brady but saving some money and going for the quantity over quality won out for me.

LeVeon Bell $32 0.00 bye
Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye
Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye
Cameron Artis-Payne $4 0.00 bye

I wanted the Broncos RB and since I couldn't take Hillman I settled for Anderson. I'm surprised how much I've seen him on rosters so far because I believe he might lose the job this year. I'm also surprised how many people don't have Le'Veon Bell. I get the suspension and week 11 bye but he was dominate last year and there is no reason to think that will change. Ivory and Martin are value picks with Payne as the lotto ticket who has a great playoff schedule.

Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye
Brandin Cooks $21 0.00 bye
Allen Robinson $17 0.00 bye
Dorial Green-Beckham $7 0.00 bye
Corey Brown $2 0.00 bye

Looks like everyone has Julio so no reason to explain. I'm a saints fan and believe Cooks goes bonkers this year and is a value at $21 (week 11 with Bell will be scary IF I can make it). Robinson and Adams are value picks; Adams in his expanded role and Robinson getting fed constantly. Beckham and Brown are both lotto picks. I believe Beckham has the chance to be Odell "like" and there isn't much competition.

Martellus Bennett $18 0.00 bye
Kyle Rudolph $11 0.00 bye
Richard Rodgers $5 0.00 bye

Jay Cutler loves some Bennett and he lost Marshall, maybe Alshon is slowed and their star in white is hurt. Ball has to go somewhere and I think it goes to Bennett A LOT. Rudolph is a big risk/big reward player with a great playoff schedule and Rodgers has Rodgers throwing to him with a few targets available after Nelson departed with an ACL.

Kai Forbath $2 0.00 bye
Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye
Ryan Succop $2 0.00 bye

Indianapolis Colts $5 0.00 bye

Jacksonville Jaguars $4 0.00 bye
New Orleans Saints $3 0.00 bye
Tennessee Titans $3 0.00 bye

I might be drunk but after I read the perfect FPPC article I felt the couple extra dollars ($5) was worth the 2 additional shots at a high week. I would have probably been around Eddie Royal if I didn't do this but my thought is I get 1 more shot a week to hit it with a strong kicker and/or defense which might be the extra few points I need to move on.

736 teams with Hartley.

96 Nelson owners, 23 Benjamin owners.
Crazy. Assumed there would be some who just didn't bother to go back in and change it after those. Those should be easy outs.... but the hartley owners can probably survive.

My team's not very unique at all, but haven't seen many Olsen-Kelce combos posted so far...

QB

Tom Brady $14
Tyrod Taylor $5
Kirk Cousins $3

RB

C.J. Anderson $27
Frank Gore $22
Chris Ivory $15
Doug Martin $12
Christine Michael $3

WR

Julio Jones $26
Brandin Cooks $21
Jarvis Landry $15
John Brown $12
Davante Adams $9
Eddie Royal $4
Tyler Lockett $3

TE

Greg Olsen $21
Travis Kelce $20

K

Sebastian Janikowski $2
Kai Forbath $2
Josh Scobee $2

TD

Houston Texans $9
Atlanta Falcons $3

With commentary

Brady not only is severely underpriced but also has an early bye. I expected him to be one of the highest owned QB's. Tim Tebow and Terrelle Pryor have been startable as fantasy QB's so I will take a gamble on Taylor for $5. Fitzpatrick at $3 is solid insurance. There is a decent chance that neither Taylor or Fitzpatrick are starting later in the year but that is why I grabbed a QB with an early bye. Would have liked to fit Bradford in here but wanted to save some money for other positions.

Every year I find it hard to find value at the RB position, and this year is no different. Peterson will come back strong this year and has an early bye, which gave him the edge over Bell for me. I am really high on Jeremy Hill this year, he's a guy who I think will be a top 5 pick in drafts this time next year. I'm guessing Abdullah will be one of the highest owned players, and for good reason. I figured a ton of people would go for Martin but I prefer Woodhead at that price point. Woodhead will catch a ton of passes this year and likely be my flex a lot of weeks. I'm not super high on Michael but I had $3 leftover and he seems like a decent lottery ticket. Really wish I could have found a way to fit Denard Robinson in as I think he is a great value.

WR - Cole Beasley - DAL/6 - $4

I expected pretty high ownership for Julio as he is under priced IMO. I expect John Brown to take over as Arizona's #1 this year and finish in the top 20. Adams is pretty much a must have at his price. Hurns will have some big games this year with Allen Robinson opposite him and an improved Blake Bortles throwing to him. I wouldn't be shocked if Beasley doubled his catches this year. Doesn't have monster upside but I think he'll provide a solid floor most weeks. Royal is a must have at that price. He'll finish as a top 30 WR this year with upside for more. Amendola will play a big role on NE until Lafell comes back, and possibly after as well. He may not help me much at the end but for $3 I think he could help me through some bye weeks. I wish I could have found some room for Stevie Johnson.

In this contest with 1.5 PPR for TE you need some horses here IMO. I debated on Gronk for a while but just didn't like the versions of my roster without him. With a pissed off Brady and a depleted WR core I expect Gronk to approach his historic 2011 numbers this season. Olsen is pretty much the only proven receiving threat on Carolina so he is a lock to get a ton of work. Eifert at $9 feels like almost a must have to me. Assuming he stays healthy he should finish as a top 10 TE IMO.

Cheap kickers with early byes. Felt the late bye with Scobee was worth it due to the Steelers offense.

Given the defensive scoring in this contest, I never pay big money for defenses. 3 defenses with earlier and different bye weeks.

I'm seeing so much love for Gronk and if he stays healthy all year I could easily see him return the value of the $33 but does no one worry about injury? He rarely stays on the field and could doom a lot of these teams with another big injury.

Chardo said:
I'm seeing so much love for Gronk and if he stays healthy all year I could easily see him return the value of the $33 but does no one worry about injury? He rarely stays on the field and could doom a lot of these teams with another big injury.
Gronk always carries injury concerns, but you can't worry about injuries with this contest. You need to get lucky on several accounts to win this thing and avoiding the injury bug is one of them.

Chardo said:
Chandler should give you value even if grok plays 16 games. Wright had 3 big games last season. Plus he gives you added value if grind does go down. I am suprised to see these gronk teams without Chandler on them.

Chardo said:
Jameis Winston $10 0.00 bye

Tyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye

Ryan Fitzpatrick $3 0.00 bye

Kirk Cousins $3 0.00 bye

I think Tyrod ends up being a huge value but these QBs also all play off each others schedules quite well. I was tempted to go Brady but saving some money and going for the quantity over quality won out for me.

LeVeon Bell $32 0.00 bye

Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye

Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye

Cameron Artis-Payne $4 0.00 bye

I wanted the Broncos RB and since I couldn't take Hillman I settled for Anderson. I'm surprised how much I've seen him on rosters so far because I believe he might lose the job this year. I'm also surprised how many people don't have Le'Veon Bell. I get the suspension and week 11 bye but he was dominate last year and there is no reason to think that will change. Ivory and Martin are value picks with Payne as the lotto ticket who has a great playoff schedule.

Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye

Brandin Cooks $21 0.00 bye

Allen Robinson $17 0.00 bye

Dorial Green-Beckham $7 0.00 bye

Corey Brown $2 0.00 bye

Looks like everyone has Julio so no reason to explain. I'm a saints fan and believe Cooks goes bonkers this year and is a value at $21 (week 11 with Bell will be scary IF I can make it). Robinson and Adams are value picks; Adams in his expanded role and Robinson getting fed constantly. Beckham and Brown are both lotto picks. I believe Beckham has the chance to be Odell "like" and there isn't much competition.

Martellus Bennett $18 0.00 bye

Kyle Rudolph $11 0.00 bye

Jay Cutler loves some Bennett and he lost Marshall, maybe Alshon is slowed and their star in white is hurt. Ball has to go somewhere and I think it goes to Bennett A LOT. Rudolph is a big risk/big reward player with a great playoff schedule and Rodgers has Rodgers throwing to him with a few targets available after Nelson departed with an ACL.

Kai Forbath $2 0.00 bye

Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye

Ryan Succop $2 0.00 bye

Indianapolis Colts $5 0.00 bye

Jacksonville Jaguars $4 0.00 bye

Tennessee Titans $3 0.00 bye

I might be drunk but after I read the perfect FPPC article I felt the couple extra dollars ($5) was worth the 2 additional shots at a high week. I would have probably been around Eddie Royal if I didn't do this but my thought is I get 1 more shot a week to hit it with a strong kicker and/or defense which might be the extra few points I need to move on.
I had Bell included until last night. I couldn't digest having both Cooks and Bell off in week 11. Dropped down to CJ which allowed me to add Brown and Amendola.

QB

Brady

Bradford

RB

Peterson

Abdullah

Woodhead

Mathews

Robinson (JAX)

Michael

WR

Julio

Megatron

ARob

Brown (ARI)

Adams

Funchess

Royal

Lockett

Brown (CAR)

TE

Olsen

Rodgers

Watson

K

Seabass

Scobee

Succop

DST

MIN

SD

NO

Last year was my first doing this contest and my strategy was to mimic the past winner's roster structure, which is a size of 18 stacked with studs. Despite losing Peterson and Rice and Palmer I survived deep into the season. But for the purpose of this competition, to win I strongly believe smaller lineups are the way to go, even if you likely will lose due to an injury or two. Also, TEs scoring 1.5PPR means they score a lot, so I did my best to get a guy who will fill a flex position most weeks at TE. I also don't value handcuffs in this contest.

QB - $18

QB - Bradford - PHI/$13

QB - Hoyer - HOU/$5

With the injury luck caveat in mind, I took a guy who is discounted due to injury concerns (Bradford), and an underrated and underpriced starter. Bradford's floor and ceiling combination is enticing.

RB - $74

RB - CJ Anderson - DEN/$27

RB - Lamar Miller - MIA/$24

RB - Ingram - NO/$20

RB - Christine Michael - DAL/$3

Three guys I'm very high on this season, and should have safe floors as well as upside. I did not plan on RB filling the flex position, so if 2 of 3 rbs score then I should be good. Michael is a flier who I don't count on scoring any.

WR - $92

WR - Julio Jones - ATL/$26

WR - Randall Cobb - GB/$25

WR - Brandin Cooks - NO/$21

WR - Jeremy Maclin - KC/$16

WR - Corey Brown - CAR/$2

WR - Campanaro - BAL/$2

Again, these four WRs give a healthy combination of high floor with upside potential, oth of which you need in a contest like this. I considered Calvin over Cobb and Landry over Maclin. All four should be target monsters.

TE - $54

TE - Gronk - NE/$33

TE - Olsen - CAR/$21

No way I'm passing on Gronk even at $33. If he hits his PPG average over the past few years he's easily worth it. Olsen should see tons of targets being one of the only receiving threats for Carolina. I'm hoping both TE scores count every week.

K - $5

K - Gano - CAR/$3

K - Janikowski - OAK/$2

Kickers don't matter. These are cheap.

DEF - $7

DEF - Cleveland - $4

DEF - Atlanta - $3

Defenses don't matter and score unpredictably. I probably should have added a 3rd but I couldn't find the $.

QB Bradford, Romo

RB Hill, Stewart, Abdullah, Crowell, CMike

WR Adams, Cobb, JMatt, A. Robinson, Marvin Jones, Wheaton

TE Gronk, Ladarius

K Walsh, Scobee

D Texans, Dolphins

time to SHIP IT

Tom Brady $14 0.00 bye
Tyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye
Kirk Cousins $3 0.00 bye

Great value QBs in this thing IMO - but likely high ownership on all of them.
Charles Sims $13 0.00 bye
Isaiah Crowell $13 0.00 bye
Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye
Duke Johnson $12 0.00 bye
Bishop Sankey $12 0.00 bye
DeAngelo Williams $6 0.00 bye

Hedging bets in the RB department
Randall Cobb $25 0.00 bye
T.Y. Hilton $23 0.00 bye
Amari Cooper $19 0.00 bye
Devin Funchess $5 0.00 bye
Eddie Royal $4 0.00 bye
Andrew Hawkins $4 0.00 bye
Jarius Wright $2 0.00 bye

I like my group of wideouts. IMO the WRs can take you far in this thing.
Rob Gronkowski $33 0.00 bye
Vernon Davis $7 0.00 bye
Maxx Williams $3 0.00 bye

Thought Gronk was a must have in this format. Hoping for a resurgent Davis for some flex weeks.
Greg Zuerlein $4 0.00 bye
Matt Prater $4 0.00 bye
Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye

Kickers, cheap and/or in domes.
Seattle Seahawks $12 0.00 bye
Cleveland Browns $4 0.00

Only went 2 DTs this year. Hoping Seattle's cost kept them off of a lot of rosters.

I really enjoy this contest every year, looking forward to this year!

So, last night, just before 11 PM, I took my first look at this, with the thought in mind that the entry deadline was prior to kickoff tonight...in and of itself, that wouldn't have been so bad, however, I was 1 hour into an FFPC Draft (10 PM start), with another one scheduled to start at midnight. Ooooof.

I put more time into the Contest last year than ever before, and I really thought I had lightning in a bottle. Forget when I got bounced, but it was a decent run. This year, less than 1 distracted hour. My first iteration started at 30 Players and 483 years! That's how I always do it - I select the 30 Player Team I would like to have, if there were no cap conditions, and then work my way back, paring Players and salaries until I find the right mix. In the end, I got crunched for time, and probably punted some stuff in the interest of submitting at 11:56 PM. I don't expect to last long.

Brady, Cutler, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick - I wanted Angry Tom, no matter what. I wanted Cutler as part of a committee of backups, simply because I think he's the key to any 2015 all-play strategy. Sure he's going to throw up some clunkers, but there will be around 4 games that he threatens the weekly high for passing stats. I wanted a couple of 'steady eddies' to balance that out. Couldn't afford the guys I wanted in the rush to finish on time. Hope Hoyer and Fitz hold onto their jobs.

Forsett, L.Miller, Vereen, DAWilliams J.White - I wanted Angry Adrian at all costs as well, but cut him very close to midnight when I just couldn't make the numbers work. Went with 2 bell cows that will see plenty of action in the passing game, and Vereen, who I think is going to lead the league in RB receptions. I think DeAngelo maintains a role when Bell comes back, and could see an expanded role down the stretch if the Steelers sew things up early in the Division which I think is likely. Hope there's enough for White after Dion gets his. If Dion gets banged up again, White could be huge.

Cooks, Matthews, Chas.Johnson, Landry, Dav.Adams, St.Johnson, Wheaton - Couldn't get all my volume guys if I took a stud. Boy did I want Julio or Dez. Cut the top and the bottom to find what I hope winds up being a 'Lucky 7' in the middle. If Charles Johnson winds up being the Mike Irvin in Norv's scheme, I'm not just lucky, I'm blessed.

D.Allen, H.Miller - crushed that I ran out of time to find a way to bolster this group, but I was building TE around this pairing right from the start, sucks that I couldn't fit in a few value guys for depth. Allen better stay healthy.

Prater, Nugent, Walsh, NYJets, Colts - 2nd tier volume offenses that I expect to be in the Red Zone often, and stall out plenty. Domes mixed in as much as I could. Probably would have found the money for another TE if I'd done the 'fbg's D' thing (Colts/Jags), but I wanted one semi-elite D with some blow-up potential and I trust the Colts to produce more stats, more consistently, than the Jags.

23 Players. I usually try to wind up with 24-26. I don't think I'm long for the lifeboat. Good luck, fellas!

Philip Rivers $13 0.00 bye

Marcus Mariota $7 0.00 bye

Tyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye

--------------------------------

Marshawn Lynch $27 0.00 bye

Mark Ingram $20 0.00 bye

Shane Vereen $16 0.00 bye

Ameer Abdullah $14 0.00 bye

Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye

Christine Michael $3 0.00 bye

---------------------------------

Keenan Allen $20 0.00 bye

John Brown $12 0.00 bye

Allen Hurns $6 0.00 bye

Devin Funchess $5 0.00 bye

Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye

Eddie Royal $4 0.00 bye

Tyler Lockett $3 0.00 bye

Jerricho Cotchery $3 0.00 bye

Corey Brown $2 0.00 bye

Jarius Wright $2 0.00 bye

-------------------------------

Greg Olsen $21 0.00 bye

Andrew Quarless $3 0.00 bye

Kai Forbath $2 0.00 bye

Ryan Succop $2 0.00 bye

Washington Redskins $3 0.00 bye

Chicago Bears $3 0.00 bye

Really surprised there isn't more love for Mariota (on 961 teams). He could be this year's Cam Newton, at $7. He'll be way better than Tyrod Taylor, who has a decent chance of losing his starting job.

I wound up with 29, after starting with 30, accidentally going to 31, and then recombining to move up the ladder some at WR.

Looking at it now, I probably should have moved one of the cheap WRs to a cheap TE, but the Rodgers/Quarless combo should be a good cheap handcuff as they split a decent number of TE targets in Green Bay.

I generated my choices the same way I did last year, by pulling in FBG projections and doing a spreadsheet of projected points per dollar and points-over-baseline per dollar. It's not quite scientific but there's at least a methodology to it.

Ryan Tannehill
Tom Brady

Surprised I'm not seeing this combination more often. Both have early byes and good prices.

C.J. Anderson
Lamar Miller
Ameer Abdullah
Doug Martin

Taking a big risk with this group but I'm really high on Miami's offense this year.

Julio Jones
Brandin Cooks
Sammy Watkins
Jeremy Maclin
Davante Adams
Markus Wheaton

The last change I made to my team was inserting Watkins.

Rob Gronkowski
Richard Rodgers

We'll see how this goes...

Sebastian Janikowski
Josh Scobee

Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons

Users who are viewing this thread