What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malcolm Brown Deep Dynasty Stash? (2 Viewers)

Looking surprisingly good ( and happy) tonight. Probably should be picked up in all formats. They clearly trust him in big situations. Cam #1, but he's a good 2 so far. 
Who knows if this is the kind of volume we can expect going forward, but he appears to be the clear favorite for GL carries. 

Malcolm Brown rushed 18 times for 79 yards and two touchdowns and caught 3-of-4 targets for 31 yards in Week 1 against Dallas.

Brown was the No. 2 back but ended up leading the Rams in snaps and touches. He vultured a goal-line TD for his first score and added another from two yards out. Brown dominated third downs over Darrell Henderson and Cam Akers. Brown looks like the touch favorite going into Week 2, but he’s a sell high candidate with Akers getting the starts.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown has seemingly always had the talent - enough that the Rams matched the offer sheet from the Lions a few years ago. Still, given the draft capital used, it seems only a matter of time before the Rams want to see what they have Akers.

maybe matt waldman was right??
Maybe, but that was three years ago, and hard to see that the Rams truly love him or they wouldn't have drafted Henderson and then Akers where they did.

Things change, but they have a lot of draft capital tied up in Henderson/Akers.

Maybe, but that was three years ago, and hard to see that the Rams truly love him or they wouldn't have drafted Henderson and then Akers where they did.

Things change, but they have a lot of draft capital tied up in Henderson/Akers.
Headache for fantasy owners all year.......again.

Brown has seemingly always had the talent - enough that the Rams matched the offer sheet from the Lions a few years ago. Still, given the draft capital used, it seems only a matter of time before the Rams want to see what they have Akers.
I stashed him in every league heading into that off season expecting him to quietly land a committee role somewhere that he could eventually take over.  Detroit was set up to be perfect, until the Rams retained him behind Gurley.

Akers probably eventually takes this over, but Brown is solid and obviously trusted.  Must add wherever he's available, but prepare for headaches as the season moves forward.

I own him as a former Gurley handcuff. What do we think his value is to Akers owners right now? Second?
It depends if they are weak at RB overall and are a competitive team.  I wouldn't spend a 2nd on a handcuff if I had other RB options.

ETA:  Looks like Akers is the handcuff LOL

They used Akers a lot like last night. Clearly they like him and trust him already.  But they use Brown in a different role (third down, GL, game clock) and that's a valuable role in this offense. He won't get two TDs every week. Cam will break some longer ones.

BTW Van Jefferson looked really good last night.

yeah. rookie RB's notoriously never see their usage grow over the season. ever.
Not a matter of whether Aker's usage increases, it probably will, but if Brown's usage doesn't significantly decrease it gives credence to fantasy owners needing ibuprofen on Sundays.

Not a matter of whether Aker's usage increases, it probably will, but if Brown's usage doesn't significantly decrease it gives credence to fantasy owners needing ibuprofen on Sundays.
Even if they alternate series, if Brown gets 3rd down amd goal line lools I'll be happy with that for someone who was a late round flier at best in redraft.

He looked pretty damn good to me
He looked pretty damn capable to me. Is capable enough to sustain the job? That'll be answered over the next few weeks and he may not have control over much of it.. I think the Rams want one or both of the other two to take the job from Brown, but if they don't then McVay trusts Brown enough to keep feeding him.

He looked pretty damn capable to me. Is capable enough to sustain the job? That'll be answered over the next few weeks and he may not have control over much of it.. I think the Rams want one or both of the other two to take the job from Brown, but if they don't then McVay trusts Brown enough to keep feeding him.
I agree with capable.  Perhaps more than capable.  I don't agree that McVay wants, or cares, which RB does the job as long as they do the job.  I think McVay really likes Brown and it shows.........more than just week 1 of this year.

I agree with capable.  Perhaps more than capable.  I don't agree that McVay wants, or cares, which RB does the job as long as they do the job.  I think McVay really likes Brown and it shows.........more than just week 1 of this year.
I was sure to write 'the Rams want' and 'McVay trusts Brown.' I agree that McVay doesn't care who gets the touches, but office politics are always a variable at play. 

I was sure to write 'the Rams want' and 'McVay trusts Brown.' I agree that McVay doesn't care who gets the touches, but office politics are always a variable at play. 
Perhaps with 1st rd picks, probably not as much with 2nd rd picks.  Big difference in pay isn't it?

Perhaps with 1st rd picks, probably not as much with 2nd rd picks.  Big difference in pay isn't it?
I've never delved into such a case study, so I couldn't provide an informed answer. Generally speaking, teams want their early round picks on the field if their performance aligns with the evaluation. I don't think it's any more complicated than that, but if someone wants to put in the work to prove or disprove that then by all means. 

In the grand scheme of a team's budget, it's probably not a big deal between 1st and 2nd round picks. The biggest issue is opportunity cost, meaning that a team that drafts an RB early does so at the expense of another position that may be harder to replace. So they may want to give every opportunity to justify that higher RB pick.

I really like Malcolm Brown, but Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson are not going anywhere.  This may be a difficult rotation to figure out on a weekly basis.  As Akers gets acclimated to the NFL, there is a possibility that Brown could be relegated to 'Malcolm in the Middle' of this rotation.  Brown showed he certainly deserves a role, and I don't know that Akers brings anything to the table that Brown cannot already do, but Akers will at minimum limit Brown's upside.  Still, I am grabbing Malcolm Brown where I can.

Alright I've seen enough, late to the party in redraft 2020 but here now. 

Facts as best i can tell...He played 60% of the snaps last week, that seems to be the going rate for a lot of starters or even guys in rotations but it looks like he gets the ball in the red zone enough to give him a firm edge over the other guys. If you want to talk 2021/2022, hey I get it but for 2020 in Redrafts, this guy seems like a total steal at this point. 

-Another fact is Gurley racked up like 30 TDs in 2 seasons, 42 on the ground over 3? They like to run the ball and they like to have a bellcow at RB who gets the goal line touches. I'm not saying one of the other backs couldn't eventually be asked to do the same thing but it would take a couple Brown fumbles in and around the goal line for that domino to start. Let's be honest, after last week, it sure looks like Brown will have this job for the coming weeks as the rookie Akers gets his sea legs under him. I actually think it's great they don't want to exhaust their better RBs, will keep them fresh over the season. 

-Another fact I think is Brown in the passing game offers more at the moment. 4 targets, 3-30 yds, that's an extra TD in PPR formats, he racked 26 last week, I see no reason for him to be ranked 32, 35, 38, these are some fo the rankings I see on fairly popular free FF sites you can easily Google yourself. I also have seen him as high as 11th over at Columbia from one of their writers and I don't think that is outlandish. It's higher than I would say but Brown is a firm RB2 IMHO right now, Week 2. Most sites have him ranked well behind Mark Ingram this week, that seems preposterous at the moment. 

I don't think he repeats last week but I see no reason he can't approach 100 total yds again, TD chances have to be 50% weekly in the Rams offense based on recent track history? Add in a few catches and he should breeze into the Top 20 this week. 

Cheers!

Facts as best i can tell...He played 60% of the snaps last week, that seems to be the going rate for a lot of starters or even guys in rotations but it looks like he gets the ball in the red zone enough to give him a firm edge over the other guys. If you want to talk 2021/2022, hey I get it but for 2020 in Redrafts, this guy seems like a total steal at this point. 

-Another fact is Gurley racked up like 30 TDs in 2 seasons, 42 on the ground over 3? They like to run the ball and they like to have a bellcow at RB who gets the goal line touches. I'm not saying one of the other backs couldn't eventually be asked to do the same thing but it would take a couple Brown fumbles in and around the goal line for that domino to start. Let's be honest, after last week, it sure looks like Brown will have this job for the coming weeks as the rookie Akers gets his sea legs under him. I actually think it's great they don't want to exhaust their better RBs, will keep them fresh over the season. 

-Another fact I think is Brown in the passing game offers more at the moment. 4 targets, 3-30 yds, that's an extra TD in PPR formats, he racked 26 last week, I see no reason for him to be ranked 32, 35, 38, these are some fo the rankings I see on fairly popular free FF sites you can easily Google yourself. I also have seen him as high as 11th over at Columbia from one of their writers and I don't think that is outlandish. It's higher than I would say but Brown is a firm RB2 IMHO right now, Week 2. Most sites have him ranked well behind Mark Ingram this week, that seems preposterous at the moment. 

I don't think he repeats last week but I see no reason he can't approach 100 total yds again, TD chances have to be 50% weekly in the Rams offense based on recent track history? Add in a few catches and he should breeze into the Top 20 this week. 

Cheers!
Agree.   Im actually trying to decide between brown, ingram and Keenan Allen at my flex

Agree.   Im actually trying to decide between brown, ingram and Keenan Allen at my flex
I can't imagine anyone starting him with confidence today, Ingram. I own him and i might get burned but he is on my bench and if I could find something better to flip him out for on the waiver wire I would almost do it. They were on cruise control last week and he was afterthought mostly. 

I've seen Allen ranked behind Mike Williams this week. Not saying that is reality but that's what I read. 

I can't imagine anyone starting him with confidence today, Ingram. I own him and i might get burned but he is on my bench and if I could find something better to flip him out for on the waiver wire I would almost do it. They were on cruise control last week and he was afterthought mostly. 

I've seen Allen ranked behind Mike Williams this week. Not saying that is reality but that's what I read. 
I think im gonna roll ingram out one more time but if brown outproduces him again ingram will be banished to the bench until further notice.   I dont like the matchup for brown.

Cheers!
Agree with everything stated

Going with Brown today as flex   :thumbup:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rams RB Malcolm Brown (finger) is expected to play in Week 3 against the Bills.

Brown fractured his left pinky against the Eagles and underwent surgery on Monday to repair it. Even so, he's expected to suit up while teammate Cam Akers (rib) remains day to day. Darrell Henderson will likely be the only back fully healthy for the Rams in Week 3, making him a terrific one-week filler for those who lost players due to injury. Brown qualifies as a FLEX option since he could be limited.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 22, 2020, 8:17 AM ET

Malcolm Brown (finger) was held out of practice on Wednesday.

Adam Schefter previously reported that Brown is expected to play this Sunday against the Bills, but our first chance to see a practice report shows that Brown is sidelined. A "minor" surgery was necessary to repair a fractured pinky. Fellow running back Cam Akers also missed practice with a rib injury, making Darrell Henderson the only fully fit ball carrier on the roster.

Sep 23, 2020, 9:05 PM ET

Gonna sit Brown even if they play him as the COP to Henderson. Have both of them, little frustrating but I wouldn't expect a large workload for Brown this week vs the Bills. 

Malcolm Brown (finger) returned to Rams practice Thursday, getting in a full session. 

It means that, barring a setback with his surgically-repaired finger, Brown will be ready to go as part of a 1-2 punch with Darrell Henderson in Buffalo. In theory, Brown projects as the touch leader on early downs, but Henderson was by far the Rams' most effective back in Week 2. We would rather bet on Henderson as an RB2/FLEX in fantasy, leaving Brown as an RB4 wherever possible. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

Sep 24, 2020, 8:15 PM ET

Is Brown still a stash? Do we think he can regain the lead back status when he's back?

Will he still contribute meaningfully even in a rotation with Henderson/Akers when all three are available?

This backfield will be hard to figure out all year, I imagine.

Dropped brown for kelley

Is Brown still a stash? Do we think he can regain the lead back status when he's back?

Will he still contribute meaningfully even in a rotation with Henderson/Akers when all three are available?

This backfield will be hard to figure out all year, I imagine.
I already drafted Kelly late from the tidbits and hush hush camp reports floating around here. I got Brown on WW and also Henderson believe it or not and so i have all 3 of them. Brown certainly seems like the worst of the 3 but what happens when Henderson injures himself in a week or two or is nicked up and Brown is healthy? Will Cam Akers get on track 2nd half of his rookie season?

Lot of mystery and questions but I know this...the Rams run the football a good chunk of the time and they believe in running the ball into the end zone, they have a ton of rushing TDs since McVey and they aren't all Todd Gurley scores, many RBs have done well with the Rams so i would hold them if you can. I have Kamara, Gordon and Ingram right now, Ingram is on my bench obviously but I feel he will see more action 2nd half of the season, why would they burn him up now? 

I'd like to see Henderson or Brown really nail it down somehow the next several weeks but eventually I feel one of them will emerge and people will stop questioning. 

Malcolm Brown rushed seven times for 19 yards in the Rams' Week 3 loss to the Bills.

Even with Cam Akers (ribs) sidelined, it was Brown's smallest workload of the season. He was out-touched 21-7 by Darrell Henderson, who reached 120 yards from scrimmage for the second consecutive week. It's too early to declare things "case closed" in the Rams' backfield, but Brown's RB3/FLEX candle is obviously flickering. He will not be a recommended Week 4 option against the Giants. 

Sep 27, 2020, 5:57 PM ET

Malcolm Brown rushed nine times for 37 times in the Rams' Week 4 win against the Giants, adding five catches for 19 yards. 

An afterthought after getting just seven carries last week against Buffalo, Brown out-rushed backfield mate Darrell Henderson against New York. How Brown and Henderson will be deployed next week against Washington could be anyone's guess. 

- Rotoworld

Malcolm Brown rushed 10 times for 57 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' Week 7 win over the Bears.

He failed to catch his lone target in the passing game. Brown was able to find the end zone on a one-yard run following a punishing, pile-driving 12-yard run on the previous play in the third quarter. Darrell Henderson out-carried Brown 15-10, but Brown continues to get premium carries as a favorite of the coaching staff. He's a hard-nosed veteran and has settled in as Henderson's running mate over Cam Akers. Brown is a TD-dependent RB3/4 who just scored his first touchdown since Week 1 in this one.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:38 PM ET

Malcolm Brown rushed 10 times for 40 yards in the Rams' Week 8 loss to the Dolphins.

Darrell Henderson left in the first half after posting 8-47 on the ground before a thigh injury. And rookie Cam Akers came on to be Brown's sidekick with 9-35 rushing. This will always be a two-man backfield until coach Sean McVay decides otherwise. If Henderson misses any time, expect Akers to take his role as the 1A to Brown's 1B. Brown is a weak fantasy starter as an RB3/4.

- Rotoworld
Unsure how serious the injury to Hendo is, but you'd think Brown would be the starter if he misses time. It didn't look too bad...

Malcolm Brown rushed six times for 33 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Week 10 win over the Seahawks.

Brown fell into the end zone twice near the goal-line and mixed in two catches for an additional 18 yards. It was a fantastic outing for someone splitting reps with not one but two other backs. Cam Akers actually led the backfield in carries (10) and rushing yards (38). It's a complicated backfield. To this point, Brown has been the favorite for passing-down work, but Akers is a threat to that role down the stretch. With the Bucs on schedule next, Brown should be left on fantasy benches if possible.

- Rotoworld

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue believes the Rams are "unlikely to bring back" free agent RB Malcolm Brown.

Brown was a nice veteran presence for youngsters Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson, but it's time for the baton to be passed. Akers is likely to emerge as a fantasy RB1 in 2021 fantasy drafts while Henderson operates as a low-volume No. 2 back with high-upside as RB insurance. Brown will likely settle for the veteran minimum in free agency and carries no dynasty value as a soon-to-be 28-year-old. Brown's career-high in carries (101) came last season.

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

, Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 26, 2021, 9:35 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread