What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hiking (1 Viewer)

Are you properly fitted for shoes? Are you high arched, flat foot? I am a big supporter of finding a good pair of walking/hiking shoes. They make a gigantic difference IMO.
Yup. Always wearing well supported shoes.This sucks. Woke up this morning and my foot was hurting again. I went months without any kind of pain at all. Not to mention, I haven't hiked or done any strenuous activity on it. Then, out of the blue, the pain is back. :angry:
I broke my foot years ago. If I do a lot of steps, or stand on a few ladder rungs, or put whatever kind of weird pressure on various parts of my foot, it will get sore again. Hopefully your pain is the same; mine is always short-lived.
Yeah, I broke my ankle a couple years ago and every so often I'll move it in such a way where I'll go down like a imploding high rise. I'll think I did something serious but the pain is gone immediately and it doesn't come back. It's weird. I keep thinking it'll go away for good, but it always shows itself a couple times a year.

I haven't been to Yosemite since I was a kid, so it's high on our list for this year or next.

I think we're going to do Section J of the PCT this year. I couldn't possibly do the whole thing in one fell swoop given work constraints, and frankly though I think physically I could do it mentally I am not so sure I'm up for it. Section hiking should be fun for you, too. I have a friend who was going to do the whole of the AT this year but has postponed her trek to 2017.
The PCT will be beautiful. I would like to hike that at some point in my life. I saw my friend this weekend that did the hike in Yosemite, and she said it was the Half Dome hike that she and her husband did.
Oh wow, Half Dome. That would be so cool.

Anyone have recommendations for freeze dried food?
We use Mountain House and think some of them are pretty good. There's probably better stuff out there. Best is making your own, which we really should do but haven't. There are some good websites out there with lots of recipes for making some of your own.
MountainHouse Beef Stroganoff is my goto meal. The beef chili was good too. The lasagna, while good, has issues with clean up... the cheese might as well be concrete on your spoon. Its a huge pain in the neck trying to clean it off the spoon.

Looks like I'll be getting a chance to hike the Long Trail this summer. It turns out I'll be having the summer off (unexpectedly...) but it opens up a chance for me to take the month or so I'll need to do this hike. I am starting to plan out the days already.

I was camping last weekend.. same weekend as the storm that leveled the midAtlantic. We only got three inches of snow, but I was rooting for more. It is fun to thumb your nose at Mother Nature for a while. And I don't do cold. I was nice and toasty in my hammock. You can tolerate a lot if know you'll be warm and dry at night.

I haven't been to Yosemite since I was a kid, so it's high on our list for this year or next.

I think we're going to do Section J of the PCT this year. I couldn't possibly do the whole thing in one fell swoop given work constraints, and frankly though I think physically I could do it mentally I am not so sure I'm up for it. Section hiking should be fun for you, too. I have a friend who was going to do the whole of the AT this year but has postponed her trek to 2017.
The PCT will be beautiful. I would like to hike that at some point in my life. I saw my friend this weekend that did the hike in Yosemite, and she said it was the Half Dome hike that she and her husband did.

We use Mountain House and think some of them are pretty good. There's probably better stuff out there. Best is making your own, which we really should do but haven't. There are some good websites out there with lots of recipes for making some of your own.
MountainHouse Beef Stroganoff is my goto meal. The beef chili was good too. The lasagna, while good, has issues with clean up... the cheese might as well be concrete on your spoon. Its a huge pain in the neck trying to clean it off the spoon.
:lmao: Totally true. I do like the lasagna anyway. And agree about the Beef Stroganoff.

Good to know, thanks

BOOKED! Found Grand Canyon lodging close enough to make it doable, so we're doing the R2R2R (one night rest in between) starting May 13. Stoked.
Should have kept reading! That is awesome!!!For what it's worth, when you get to the trail head at the North Rim, you may be able to bum a ride to your lodging. Not sure how much further you have to walk.

Unfortunately, we're not there for two more weeks so we won't see you. But I'm anxious to hear your report. For experienced hikers like you, it won't be the most beautiful hike, and it likely won't be the most strenuous. It's certainly not anywhere near the most technical. Still, it was such an amazing experience for me, but perhaps that was because I was (am) a hiking novice/neophyte. I don't think so however, as we have some very experienced hikers in our group, and they just absolutely love the experience of the R2R2R. There is just something about it.

I'm really excited for you - good luck!
I'm so glad you popped up in the thread! I was going to PM you if I didn't see you in here. I might have some questions for you and prosopis along the way, if you guys don't mind. The only question I have right now - and I'm sure I could search and find this on the innerwebz - is the water availability. I seem to remember your saying you didn't have to take much water along because there were (man-made?) water sources along the way. Is this right? Guess I just need to find myself a good map of these.

I really wished we could join when you were going later in May, but we're heading to Alaska on May 29 and just couldn't make the later dates work as a result. Maybe we'll love it and join your group next year if still welcome. :)

We are actually doing North to South to North because it was in one of the hotels in the Grand Canyon Village by the south rim that I was able to find a place to stay. Not anything fancy or even particularly nice, but it was available. It is apparently about a mile to the hotel, and at worst we'll just walk an extra mile.

BOOKED! Found Grand Canyon lodging close enough to make it doable, so we're doing the R2R2R (one night rest in between) starting May 13. Stoked.
Awesome!!!I will miss you by a few days, our Havasu hike is May 7-10.

The rim to rim hike I did is still the highlight of my hiking life. I did it for my 40th birthday.
Oh, so funny you did the R2R for your 40th, too!

I guess the FBG will be dominating the Grand Canyon area in May. :)
There are a number of water stations along the trail. However, it is my understanding that the pipes go down from time to time, so you have to come prepared to drink from the streams if necessary. Keep in mind that the optimal North to South trail is not the same as the optimal South to North trail. This is primarily because one of the ascents on the South Rim provides little water. So the North to South trail we hike is about three miles longer than the South to North hike. I'll try find the details and post them.

So excited for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the hiking plan from South to North and North to South. This is from an Excel spreadsheet, so not sure the format will work.

elev. (ft) from to elev (ft) elev. change total elev. miles total miles ave. grade

7,260 South Kaibab Trailhead Ooh-Aah Point 6,660 600 600 0.9 0.9 13%

6,660 Ooh-Aah Point Cedar Ridge, Point 6,060 600 1,200 0.6 1.5 19%

6,060 Cedar Ridge, Point Skeleton Point 5,200 860 2,060 1.5 3.0 11%

5,200 Skeleton Point Tonto Trail Junction 4,010 1,190 3,250 1.2 4.2 19%

4,010 Tonto Trail Junction Tip Off 3,870 140 3,390 0.2 4.4 13%

3,870 Tip Off Black Bridge (River) 2,400 1,470 4,860 1.7 6.1 16%

2,400 Black Bridge (River) Bright Angel Campground 2,400 0 0 0.4 6.5 0%

2,400 Bright Angel Campground Phantom Ranch 2,560 160 160 0.5 7.0 6%

2,560 Phantom Ranch (the Box) Cottonwood 4,000 1,440 1,600 7.2 14.2 4%

4,000 Cottonwood Pumphouse 4,600 600 2,200 1.4 15.6 8%

4,600 Pumphouse Roaring Springs 5,200 600 2,800 0.7 16.3 16%

5,200 Roaring Springs Bridge 6,000 800 3,600 2.0 18.3 8%

6,000 Bridge Supai Tunnel 6,800 800 4,400 1.0 19.3 15%

6,800 Supai Tunnel Coconino Point 7,750 950 5,350 1.1 20.4 16%

7,750 Coconino Point North Kaibab Trailhead 8,250 500 5,850 0.6 21.0 16%

elev. (ft) from to elev (ft) elev. change total elev. miles total miles ave. grade

8,250 North Kaibab Trailhead Coconino Point 7,750 500 500 0.6 0.6 16%

7,750 Coconino Point Supai Tunnel 6,800 950 1,450 1.1 1.7 16%

6,800 Supai Tunnel Bridge 6,000 800 2,250 1.0 2.7 15%

6,000 Bridge Roaring Springs 5,200 800 3,050 2.0 4.7 8%

5,200 Roaring Springs Pumphouse 4,600 600 3,650 0.7 5.4 16%

4,600 Pumphouse Cottonwood 4,000 600 4,250 1.4 6.8 8%

4,000 Cottonwood (the Box) Phantom Ranch 2,560 1,440 5,690 7.2 14.0 4%

2,560 Phantom Ranch Bright Angel Campground 2,400 160 5,850 0.5 14.5 6%

2,400 Bright Angel Campground Silver Bridge (River) 2,400 0 0 0.3 14.8 0%

2,400 Silver Bridge (River) River Resthouse 2,440 40 40 1.2 16.0 1%

2,440 River Resthouse Top of Devil's Corkscrew 3,500 1,060 1,100 1.6 17.6 13%

3,500 Top of Devil's Corkscrew Indian Garden Campground 3,800 300 1,400 1.4 19.0 4%

3,800 Indian Garden Campground 3 Mile Resthouse 4,720 920 2,320 1.7 20.7 10%

4,720 3 Mile Resthouse 1 ½ Mile Resthouse 5,720 1,000 3,320 1.5 22.2 13%

5,720 1 ½ Mile Resthouse Bright Angel Trailhead 6,890 1,170 4,490 1.6 23.8 14%

This warm weather is a blessing and a curse in the northeast. The trails are a hot mess during the day. I'm sticking to the mornings where everything is still frozen until the warm weather passes.

This warm weather is a blessing and a curse in the northeast. The trails are a hot mess during the day. I'm sticking to the mornings where everything is still frozen until the warm weather passes.
We still have snow on the ground, so no chance to even get out just yet. This week should be the only warm stretch for a while.

We still have snow on the ground, so no chance to even get out just yet. This week should be the only warm stretch for a while.
My go to daily 4 mile loop gets a lot of foot traffic so all the snow has been packed down into a sheet of ice but it turns into a slushy mess during these warm days. The traction cleats handle the ice very nicely.

Annnnnnd, we're going to un-book the R2R2R. I had managed to find lodging on the South Rim, but I just can't make the North Rim logistics work. Nothing opens there until May 15, meaning we'd have to stay about 80 miles away at best. Adding that to the beginning didn't sound fun, and as I went through the planning it was leading to too many days off work considering I'm taking two weeks off right after that. We will plan further in advance next year, and go a little later in May.

So, my hiking-natured friends, what would be another fun, semi-epic hike to target that's a fairly easy distance from Seattle (i.e., not Asia or Europe)? I looked at Half Dome but it doesn't usually open for hiking until Memorial Day.

Annnnnnd, we're going to un-book the R2R2R. I had managed to find lodging on the South Rim, but I just can't make the North Rim logistics work. Nothing opens there until May 15, meaning we'd have to stay about 80 miles away at best. Adding that to the beginning didn't sound fun, and as I went through the planning it was leading to too many days off work considering I'm taking two weeks off right after that. We will plan further in advance next year, and go a little later in May.

So, my hiking-natured friends, what would be another fun, semi-epic hike to target that's a fairly easy distance from Seattle (i.e., not Asia or Europe)? I looked at Half Dome but it doesn't usually open for hiking until Memorial Day.
This is fun. You need to get an Indian guide to really get in there, it is pretty much extortion. I really liked it up there but I certainly felt like a foreigner in my own country. http://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm

Elbert?

Thanks, guys. Para, I read yours as "Ebert" and was befuddled for a second. :lol:

We're thinking about some stuff in Zion now, maybe.

Bummer. We'll probably be back in 17 as well, so hopefully we'll see you. North Rim lodging is very limited as you've learned. I think we booked almost a year in advance.

Well, my foot was getting worse so I went in today and had another injection into my heel.  Hurt WAY worse than the first time.  But it already is feeling better.

I asked my doc if this was just something I was going to have to go through from now on.  He said, "At your age, probably."  So that sucks.  I've been doing everything they say to keep it from hurting.  I ice it.  I rest it.  I've bought all the contraptions to keep it stretched.  Nothing helped.  He said that when you get old, sometimes things just go bad.  Made me feel like an elderly, brittle man.  

:(   Sorry, Sheik.  Hope the injection will keep it feeling good for a while.

Haven't posted in this thread for a while because we're mostly doing the same trails over and over; nothing exciting.  This Saturday I think we're going to try a trail that was closed for a while due to a huge, dangerous washout that is quite perilous.  It's a long, steep traverse of the washout that has the trail down to a few inches wide and covered in scree, with a misstep meaning a slide of about 2000 feet.  The trail is open again, but I can't find any trip reports from the last six weeks and am concerned that our recent significant rains have washed out the work that was done to improve the trail.  Anyway, nice knowing you guys.

This guy does a Rim to Rim (S Kaibab --> N Kaibab, 20+ miles) hike in about 12 hours. While it is impossible to truly capture the experience on film it does provide a glimpse into what the hike looks like, the trails, the scenery, the crowds, and the vastness of the canyon. 

Just a reminder for anyone considering a GC hike, reservations to stay in a cabin at Phantom Ranch are usually made 13 months in advance, permits for backcountry camping (Cottonwood, Bright Angel/Phantom, and Indian Gardens) are made 4 months in advance. If you are doing a R2R in one day you can stay at lodges on the North and South rims, but reservations have to be made well in advance. If you want to do a 3-4 day R2R and camp in the canyon you can also do a guided tour through a company that takes care of permits for you.

Also, the North Rim is only open from May 15th to Oct 15th , meaning there is no access to the rim, camping, or lodging outside of those dates. 

I did an 8 mile hike in the tortolita mountains http://dovemountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dove-Mountain-Trail-Maps.pdf

My daughter and myself did the wild burro trail to the wild mustang trail loop. It was beautiful and the wild flowers are just starting to peek out. We came across two old ranch homes from the 1800s which was cool. If anyone is hiking here in the southwest I will warn you that the rattlesnakes are out early due to the early heat here. About mid hike I came up on a good size rattler who was none to happy. I have a nice pic of it but I am not sure how to put photos in here. Any way it gave both me and my daughter quite the shot of adrenaline

Our Grand Canyon trip to Havasau falls has been moved from May to April. It will be here before we know it..

prosopis said:
I did an 8 mile hike in the tortolita mountains http://dovemountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dove-Mountain-Trail-Maps.pdf

My daughter and myself did the wild burro trail to the wild mustang trail loop. It was beautiful and the wild flowers are just starting to peek out. We came across two old ranch homes from the 1800s which was cool. If anyone is hiking here in the southwest I will warn you that the rattlesnakes are out early due to the early heat here. About mid hike I came up on a good size rattler who was none to happy. I have a nice pic of it but I am not sure how to put photos in here. Any way it gave both me and my daughter quite the shot of adrenaline

Our Grand Canyon trip to Havasau falls has been moved from May to April. It will be here before we know it..
I want to see the rattlesnake!

We haven't been out a lot lately, but we did find a fairly fun climb last weekend in lieu of the dangerous one we decided to forgo for now.  We couldn't quite reach our destination once we hit thigh-high snow on a couple of treacherous ridges, but we had fun over the 15ish miles going from lake to river to winter wonderland.  Mr krista and our hiking buddy that day also built me a nice log-and-boulder bridge to get over a frigid water crossing (though both Mr krista and I fell in on the way back anyway).

Thursday we took my mom and stepfather to the same area for an easy, flat 2.5 mile walk that anyone could do, proving that, to get to the good stuff, one doesn't have to suffer as much as we usually do.

Thanks for that info, chauncey.  The closure of the North Rim until May 15 is what caused us to have to change our plans to do the R2R2R May 13-14.  :(   Must plan farther in advance for next year...like, practically now.

We did make reservations for Zion in May instead, so I'd love any suggestions on must-do hikes there.  We've been there before but were not serious about hiking at the time, so did pretty easy stuff.  We are definitely going to do Angel's Landing, which is not hard but apparently kind of terrifying for some people.  :)   I am not interested in doing the Narrows.

We make our North Rim lodging reservations nearly a year in advance. 

Looking forward to checking out that video. Thanks for posting it Chauncey. 

Just finished the video. That was really well done. It really gives you a good sense of the R2R (almost too good if you want to experience the vistas for the first time in person).  It felt a lot like my experience, though it was missing the audible gasping for breath during the last 3 minutes.

chauncey said:
This guy does a Rim to Rim (S Kaibab --> N Kaibab, 20+ miles) hike in about 12 hours. While it is impossible to truly capture the experience on film it does provide a glimpse into what the hike looks like, the trails, the scenery, the crowds, and the vastness of the canyon. 

Just a reminder for anyone considering a GC hike, reservations to stay in a cabin at Phantom Ranch are usually made 13 months in advance, permits for backcountry camping (Cottonwood, Bright Angel/Phantom, and Indian Gardens) are made 4 months in advance. If you are doing a R2R in one day you can stay at lodges on the North and South rims, but reservations have to be made well in advance. If you want to do a 3-4 day R2R and camp in the canyon you can also do a guided tour through a company that takes care of permits for you.

Also, the North Rim is only open from May 15th to Oct 15th , meaning there is no access to the rim, camping, or lodging outside of those dates. 
If you're doing a one day R2R, how does transportation work?  Is there a shuttle that takes you from one rim to the other?

If you're doing a one day R2R, how does transportation work?  Is there a shuttle that takes you from one rim to the other?
You have several options:

1. Park at south rim, take shuttle to north rim, stay overnight at the Grand Canyon Lodge or a cabin (here is where we stayed), then hike N-->S the next morning. The shuttle ride is long, about 4 hours. We actually did the long version R2R, camping in Cottonwood, Bright Angel CG, and Indian Gardens, 4 days total in the canyon. You could also hike down and camp in Bright Angel or stay in a cabin at Phantom Ranch 1 night, and hike out the next day.

2. Park at north rim, take shuttle to south rim, stay overnight at one of the lodges/cabins in the park, hike S-->N the next morning.

3. Leave a car at one of the rims, drive to the other rim, hike, then go back and pick up the other car. That is a LOT of driving.

4. Do what bigbottom did, and hike R2R one day, stay overnight at that rim, then turn around and go R2R back to your starting point. (This option requires you to be a badass)

This thread got me fired up to hit the trails today.

Hiked Elephant Trunk trail in the Franklin Mountains, El Paso, TX. About 3 miles round trip, around 1300 ft elevation gain. We veered off the trail on the ascent and it was some rough climbing, and with me being out of shape I was ready to give up 30 minutes into the hike. After many stops for rest and water, and feeling like I was going to puke at one point (I guess chugging 2 beers before the hike was not the brightest idea) we reached the "trunk". The peak was well worth it, with great views of most of El Paso and Juarez, you can see for a hundred miles in all directions. We stuck to the trail on the way down and it followed a ridge for a while with awesome views and then some easy switchbacks down to the bottom.

Not my pics (I need to create an imgur account or something):

The "Elephant Trunk"

mammoth.jpg

The view from the top, overlooking West El Paso and Mexico in the distance.

I used the Strava app to track the hike and it seemed to work well even with no cell service. What apps are you guys using to track your hikes?

We are headed to Escalante and Bryce/Zion for spring break.  Really excited about it and, at the wife's urging, booked a 1 day canyoneering excursion with a guide out of Escalante.  We will have 4 kids with us aged 17-20, and they are all really strong so wife and I have some work to do!  Anybody have suggestions for camping in and around Zion?  Best to get to South Campground in the am and drive around waiting for someone to leave?

Also, found this website laying out Zion hikes for those headed there:

Zion Hikes 

Not sure it qualifies as hiking, but as part of my training, I skinned up a 2700 foot ridge with my son last weekend and skied down, which is one of the cooler things I've done in a while.  Here are some photos:

Up

Down

Almost Home!

My Philmont trip is getting closer and closer. So lots of training hikes are in my future. I carried a 30lb pack yesterday for 6 miles and 9 today. Pretty happy with my pace considering the "hills" on these trails. I am sure I will not be able to keep the same pace when I am out in NM. Add 6000 feet and much steeper/longer ascents. I am planning a week long jaunt this April on the AT and seriously looking at trying the LongTrail in June. The biggest issue I have with the LT is finding the 4 weeks I'll need to do it. I've got the first week figured out, but trying to find the time to squeeze it is another thing entirely.

ETA: I am following a guy on Instagram that started a SOBO hike on the AT. On December 1st. He is defining a whole new level of crazy. His stories about fording the streams in the 100 mile wilderness redefine "shrinkage". He is through New England portion of the AT now and the weather was mostly kind. But wow. 

My Philmont trip is getting closer and closer. So lots of training hikes are in my future. I carried a 30lb pack yesterday for 6 miles and 9 today. Pretty happy with my pace considering the "hills" on these trails. I am sure I will not be able to keep the same pace when I am out in NM. Add 6000 feet and much steeper/longer ascents. I am planning a week long jaunt this April on the AT and seriously looking at trying the LongTrail in June. The biggest issue I have with the LT is finding the 4 weeks I'll need to do it. I've got the first week figured out, but trying to find the time to squeeze it is another thing entirely.

ETA: I am following a guy on Instagram that started a SOBO hike on the AT. On December 1st. He is defining a whole new level of crazy. His stories about fording the streams in the 100 mile wilderness redefine "shrinkage". He is through New England portion of the AT now and the weather was mostly kind. But wow.
Did Philmont this past summer. The altitude impact on a crew coming from sea level was very noticeable upon arrival in NM. We visited Sandia Peak before hitting Philmont, and the day hike we took to the summit after taking the tram up had us looking all kinds of funny. Here's hoping that if you have Baldy on your itinerary, that its a few days in so that you can acclimate. Where are you coming from? And you are looking to do the Long Trail BEFORE Philmont?

You're younger then I, aren't you? :mellow:

We are headed to Escalante and Bryce/Zion for spring break.  Really excited about it and, at the wife's urging, booked a 1 day canyoneering excursion with a guide out of Escalante.  We will have 4 kids with us aged 17-20, and they are all really strong so wife and I have some work to do!  Anybody have suggestions for camping in and around Zion?  Best to get to South Campground in the am and drive around waiting for someone to leave?

Also, found this website laying out Zion hikes for those headed there:

Zion Hikes 

Not sure it qualifies as hiking, but as part of my training, I skinned up a 2700 foot ridge with my son last weekend and skied down, which is one of the cooler things I've done in a while.  Here are some photos:

Up

Down

Almost Home!
Talk about "first tracks!" What were the temps like? I'll bet you were soaked by the time you summit-ed...

Talk about "first tracks!" What were the temps like? I'll bet you were soaked by the time you summit-ed...
It was high twenties, sunny and exposed, so yes, I was a big sweaty mammal by the time I reached the top.

How long for the ascent/descents?
About two hours up and another hour down.  If you look at the up photo, you can see that the snow was pretty lousy in the sun so we went down a different aspect which meant that about halfway down, we had to put our skins back on to climb a ridge and do a bit of traversing to get out (in almost home photo, you can see our way out to the skier's right - we would ski down, then traverse, then ski down, then traverse).  

About two hours up and another hour down.  If you look at the up photo, you can see that the snow was pretty lousy in the sun so we went down a different aspect which meant that about halfway down, we had to put our skins back on to climb a ridge and do a bit of traversing to get out (in almost home photo, you can see our way out to the skier's right - we would ski down, then traverse, then ski down, then traverse).  
Totally worth it for sure. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread