Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Official Kicker (K) Thread

7 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

This news makes me wish we had K in my dynasty league.

I'm the only one in the league who wants kickers. And I hate kickers. 

Sometimes you live long enough to see yourself become the villain, I guess. :shrug: 

AND............ This news makes me want to get into another one of your kicker/hot sauce guessing contest.

:excited:

TZM

• Laughing 1

6 hours ago, TZMarkie said:

AND............ This news makes me want to get into another one of your kicker/hot sauce guessing contest.

:excited:

TZM

Oh there will be K contests this year, just not in this space - watch the mange forearm as I have permission to do them in their own topic so as to not interrupt the critical K news. :) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, steelerfan1 said:

I’d say the only downside is the week 14 bye

Perhaps, although the flip side is that for 13 weeks to start the season, you can "set it and forget it."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keith1 said:

Perhaps, although the flip side is that for 13 weeks to start the season, you can "set it and forget it."

Plus he's all about that dome life, which is the 1st thing I look for in a K besides the foot at the end of their leg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith1 said:

I agree, but week 14 is going to be the first week of playoffs for a lot of teams so you may be throwing a dart that week but it is cool not having to worry about it for the whole regular season

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steelerfan1 said:

I agree, but week 14 is going to be the first week of playoffs for a lot of teams so you may be throwing a dart that week but it is cool not having to worry about it for the whole regular season

huh?

arent most leagues shifting to 14 week seasons with playoffs 15-17?

• Like 2

Cowboys K Greg Zuerlein (back) will start training camp on the PUP list. 

Zuerlein, fantasy football's fifth highest scoring kicker in 2020, is one of six Dallas players to land on the PUP list. Head coach Mike McCarthy said he's not worried about the long-term health or availability of any of the players on the PUP list. Punter Hunter Niswander will reportedly punt and kick for the Cowboys during the early part of camp. Zuerlein was well over his expected field goal attempts in 2020, though the Cowboys' high-powered offense should provide plenty of opportunity for the veteran this season. He should be among the first three or four kickers off the draft board. 

RELATED: 

Hunter Niswander

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter 

Jul 22, 2021, 3:10 PM ET

Jets released K Sam Ficken.

The Jets are moving on from Ficken, a 76 percent kicker the last two seasons, after a rough start to training camp. Matt Ammendola replaces Ficken on the 90-man roster and will compete with UDFA Chris Naggar for the Week 1 job.

Jul 30, 2021, 8:50 PM ET

Jaguars released Aldrick Rosas.

Rosas was re-signed in March after going 8-of-11 on field goals in six games with the Jaguars last year. His release leaves Josh Lambo as Jacksonville's starting kicker. The Jaguars also cut LB Leon Jacobs and signed WR Tevin Jones in corresponding moves.

Jul 30, 2021, 6:11 PM ET

Titans claimed K Sam Ficken off waivers from the Jets. 

The Titans waived kicker Blake Haubeil to make room for Ficken. Tucker McCann and Haubeil both reportedly started off training camp rocky, leading the Titans to claim Ficken from the Jets. Ficken connected 12-of-15 field goal tries in 2020 but struggled on PATs. He went 12-of-15 on extra points. No matter who wins the starting gig in Tennessee, the Titans are likely to be a below-average team when kicking this year. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Aug 1, 2021, 5:13 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Saints K Wil Lutz could miss at least eight weeks after core muscle surgery. 

Lutz decided to have surgery on a bothersome groin injury, leaving the Saints in a precarious spot five weeks before the regular season. An optimistic timeline would put Lutz back on the field by the end of September. He could be out well into October depending on his post-surgery recovery. Lutz shouldn't be drafted in any fantasy leagues this summer. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 9, 2021, 1:02 PM ET

Saints signed K Brett Maher.

Maher, 31, will fill in for Wil Lutz while he misses the next couple months recovering from core-muscle surgery. Maher is the lone kicker on the roster now. He kicked for Dallas from 2018-2019, but this will be his fifth team since then.

Aug 9, 2021, 7:22 PM ET

• Thanks 1

Lions signed K Zane Gonzalez to a one-year contract

Detroit also waived Matthew Wright, leaving Gonzalez and Randy Bullock as the two kickers on their current roster. Bullock has reportedly struggled during camp, which is why the Lions felt the need to add more competition. Gonzalez converted 16-of-22 field goals for the Cardinals last season before a back injury ended his season. He'll have every chance to win the starting job for the Lions.

RELATED: 

Randy Bullock

Aug 10, 2021, 2:35 PM ET

8 hours ago, Faust said:

Lions signed K Zane Gonzalez to a one-year contract

Detroit also waived Matthew Wright, leaving Gonzalez and Randy Bullock as the two kickers on their current roster. Bullock has reportedly struggled during camp, which is why the Lions felt the need to add more competition. Gonzalez converted 16-of-22 field goals for the Cardinals last season before a back injury ended his season. He'll have every chance to win the starting job for the Lions.

RELATED: 

Randy Bullock

Aug 10, 2021, 2:35 PM ET

If he shows any competency, Gonzalez should win the job. Bullock has yet to hit a 50+ yarder in OTAs or TC, and missed a couple the other day during two-minute drills after Goff put them into position. This move has been anticipated by the local beats, it was clear Randy was just not getting it done.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saints signed K Aldrick Rosas.

Rosas served a four-game suspension in 2020 but is cleared to take the field immediately. An All-Pro in 2018, he hit just 72% of his field goals before being released by Jacksonville last year. He'll receive the first crack at Wil Lutz's (groin surgery) starting job in camp.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Aug 20, 2021, 4:52 PM ET

Browns placed K Cody Parkey (quad) on injured reserve.

Parkey was in the midst of a camp battle with Chase McLaughlin before suffering the injury. Cleveland re-signed him in the offseason after he went 19-of-22 on field goals and 43-of-47 on extra points last year. With Parkey out of the picture for now, McLaughlin will start for the Browns to open the year.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Aug 23, 2021, 3:13 PM ET

Colts release K Eddy Pineiro, leaving Rodrigo Blankenship as the team's Week 1 starter. 

The bespectacled Blankenship, a fantasy revelation last season, survives the training camp battle with Pineiro, who did not miss a kick in the preseason and, according to Colts beat writers, kicked well throughout August. There was some buzz in the first week of August that Blankenship's job was in real danger a year after he logged the fifth most field goals in the NFL. The Colts attempted the fourth most field goals in 2020 -- a key factor in Blankenship's fantasy usefulness. There's no reason to reach for Hot Rod in 2021 drafts, though you could do worse than the second-year kicker in the final round of redraft leagues. 

RELATED: 

Eddy Pineiro

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 24, 2021, 8:56 AM ET

14 hours ago, Down Under said:

Does anyone know if Succop is sure to play week 1?  Like which list is he on 3 day or 10 day or ??  Does he have COVID or just a contact?  I know he is vaxxed.  This is all so confusing.

It's really not.  The tweet you quoted specifically said he did test positive.

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/league/bawwd4dpxjuz8i2zb7g0.pdf

Fully vaccinated asymptomatic players can return after two negative tests that are at least 24 hours apart. 

No one is "sure" to play anything.  If they test positive or have protocol (what's the word? violations? matches? incidents?) like close contact they will miss time. 

They also signed a UDFA kicker that was one of the best ever in college (won the Groza in 2020, finalist in 2018) and it was a real mystery that he wasn't drafted.  All the media hacks were pretty surprised two others were drafted but he (Jose Borregalas) wasn't.  So this might just be the litmus for TBB to move on from Succop.

7 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

So this might just be the litmus for TBB to move on from Succop.

Ok, it's confusing because I haven't spent 3 hours of my life keeping up on the complicated COVID rules.  I'll leave that commentary out of future questions to avoid smart-### answers from people likely far dumber than I am.  Leave out the snarks, stick to the facts.

Why would they move on from Succop??  He made 90% of his kicks last year and finished 6th in scoring.  I don't see a SB winning team suddenly moving on to a rookie the week before the season starts.

Lions claimed K Austin Seibert off waivers from the Bengals.

The Lions moved on from both of their kickers at the deadline to cut down to 53 players so a move to add a new leg was necessary. Seibert played in five games last year, four of which came with the Bengals. He connected on 6-of-9 field goals on the year and made all but one of his nine extra points. With the Lions projected to have one of the league's worst offenses, their kicker, by extension, can be ignored for fantasy purposes. 

RELATED: 

Cincinnati Bengals

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 1, 2021, 1:15 PM ET

Saints placed K Wil Lutz (groin) on injured reserve.

Lutz underwent core muscle surgery and is expected to miss "at least" the first eight weeks of the season. Aldrick Rosas, formerly of the Giants, was recently signed to the team's practice squad and will likely take Lutz's place in the coming days. New Orleans also moved TE Nick Vannett and G/C Will Clapp to IR, making both eligible to return following a three-week absence.

SOURCE: Kent Somers on Twitter

Sep 6, 2021, 5:43 PM ET

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said K Chase McLaughlin would start Week 1 against Kansas City. 

Stefanski made the team's kicker situation seem week to week rather than naming McLaughlin as the starting kicker for 2021. "Yeah, we go into game one with Chase for sure," Stefanski said. "I mean, it's a competition at every position throughout the season, but the plan was always to have two kickers." McLaughin, who beat out Jets castoff Chris Naggar for the starting job, has made 22-of-28 field goals and 31-of-32 extra points over this two years in the league. He should remain on waivers this week against KC. 

SOURCE: BeaconJournal.com 

Sep 7, 2021, 8:38 AM ET

Austin Siebert (very mediocre to this point of his career) has changed his technique. Lions ST coach Dave Fipp said yesterday he hit one fm 61 in practice.

I wouldn’t act on this but something to monitor.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Thinking 1

Early in the season I just want a K from a good offense in a game where I think they’re likely to win and possibly win handily. We’ll start to get data as the season progresses about which offenses have the most FGAs and which defenses allow the most FGAs which should shape our approach down the stretch. Right now, however, we don’t have that. 

Certainly the Butkers and Tuckers of the world will be owned and started. But for this opening week I’m looking at Matt Gay, Tyler Bass, and Brandon McManus with an eye of consideration toward Ryan Santoso as well.

Last year, Gay kicked in seven games for the Rams and scored 10+ (my league gives extra points for longer FGs) in five of the seven (think multiple FGs). Rams open at home in a prime time game against the Bears with their shiny new QB and McVay looking to reassert his offensive genius. Bears are trotting out Andy Dalton. I expect the Rams to win this fairly easily, and put Gay in great position for multiple FGs and multiple XPs. 

Bass had some great stretches last year too and has a big leg for longer FGs. Bills are at home against Pittsburgh, and while I think they win, I’m not convinced they dominate. If they’re trailing at the end, you don’t often see FGs being kicked. Slight hesitation here. 

McManus has a booming leg and plenty of longevity. I expect the Daniel Jones-led Giants to get smashed by Denver, but they are at home and Barkley seems likely to be cleared. Same with Golladay. This offense might look completely different with a healthy supporting cast, plus Chubb may not play for Denver. Good spot for McManus, but maybe not as good as Gay in my mind. 

Santoso I just wanted to mention as interesting to watch. Carolina had a ton of FG opportunities for Slye last year that he just frequently missed. Perhaps that was a function of Bridgewater (which would bode well for McManus), or perhaps it’s the nature of the offense (or completely random - most likely). Still, Santoso reportedly has a very big leg and the matchup isn’t awful. Decent dart, but I’m riding with Gay this week. 

• Like 3

Titans signed K Mike Badgley, formerly of the Chargers. 

The so-called Money Badger lost out on the Chargers' kicker competition in August and landed on waivers. Badgley struggled mightily for much of the 2020 season, missing nine of his 33 field goal tries along with three extra points. The unreliable Sam Ficken will start the season for Tennessee while Badgley sits on the practice squad. The Titans' kicking struggles will likely continue into 2021. 

RELATED: 

Sam Ficken

, Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Sep 10, 2021, 2:50 PM ET

Browns K Chase McLaughlin (hamstring) is questionable for Week 1 against the Chiefs.

McLaughlin practiced in full on Friday but still made Cleveland's injury report as a last-minute add. As it stands, Chris Naggar is the only other available option for the team on their practice squad. McLaughlin is expected to play but should still be monitored by managers up to kick-off.

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Sep 10, 2021, 3:21 PM ET

Texans signed K Joey Slye off their practice squad.

Incumbent Texans K Ka'imi Fairbairn is on I.R. with a leg issue and will miss the first three weeks of the season. Slye will handle kicking duties for at least Week 1 with Fairbairn on the shelf. Slye was cut by the Panthers this summer after shanking a bunch of kicks. He has a huge leg with a 79.4% career success rate on field goals.

Sep 11, 2021, 5:22 PM ET

Titans placed K Sam Ficken on injured reserve with a groin injury.

Ficken was a late addition to the injury report, getting in a limited practice Friday. He'll be out at least the first three weeks. In his absence, the Titans promoted K Michael Badgley to the active roster and replaced him on the practice squad with fellow K Randy Bullock.

Sep 11, 2021, 4:20 PM ET

Titans released K Mike Badgley. 

The so-called Money Badger, signed last week by Tennessee, got his walking papers after missing an extra point and a field goal try in Week 1 against the Cardinals. His opening day struggles are a carry-over from his 2020 inaccuracy. He could catch on with another team this season but coaches are no longer giving Badgley the benefit of the doubt. The Titans don't have a kicker on their roster after the release. 

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter 

Sep 14, 2021, 8:20 AM ET

Panthers released K Ryan Santoso.

Carolina will keep the seventh-round pick they had traded conditionally to New York. Santoso went 2-for-2 on field-goal tries, sinking a 29- and 22-yarder against the Jets, but did miss one of his two extra point attempts on the afternoon. The team will continue looking elsewhere to fill that role ahead of Sunday.

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter

Sep 14, 2021, 1:50 PM ET

Panthers signed K Zane Gonzalez.

Gonzalez most recently reverted to Detroit's practice squad after losing the team's competition with Randy Bullock; 'with', not 'to' since Detroit cut them both. Gonzalez converted 16-of-22 field goals for the Cardinals last year before suffering a season-ending back injury.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Sep 14, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Titans promoted K Randy Bullock to the active roster.

Tennessee cut Marvin Badgley after he missed 1-of-2 extra points and his only field goal in Week 1. They'll turn to Bullock as their starting kicker for the foreseeable future. The 31-year-old played 12 games for the Bengals last season and made 21-of-26 field goals and 24-of-25 extra points. The Titans' offense looked dreadful in Week 1, but they have another projected shootout coming up against Seattle.

SOURCE: John Glennon on Twitter

Sep 14, 2021, 6:58 PM ET

2 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

McPherson before it's to late.

I picked him up this week. This guy can kick. The Bengals offense should be good but not great which should lead to a fair amount of FG tries. IF you count the preseason he hasn't missed and has 3 kicks over 50 yards already. 57 yarder in preseason with plenty to spare.  He looked so relaxed on that game winning FG too. AFC Special Teams player of the week.

Saw his interview on Pat McAfee show and it is clear McPherson does not lack confidence in his own abilities. 

Edited by gradin123
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, tricky92 said:

Who is sticking with Blankenship?

No...I figure if they get a little better, I will likely be able to grab him again.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:51 PM, VikingFrog said:

Switching to Prater if I can get him.

That Arizona offense is going to score and score a lot. 

This is what I did.  Lets see if it works out.

• Like 1

I was really hoping Carolina would sign the East Carolina kid that played with the ravens all preseason, but I overlooked the Zane Gonzalez availability. He played at Clemson just down the road from Charlotte, and he’s had some great seasons. 

If he fails, I’m guessing they sign someone we’ve never heard of.