What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (1 Viewer)

On the Chargers' 4th play from scrimmage today, Rivers was intercepted on a sideline target to Tyrell Williams. The play was reversed because the defender held Williams. However, Rich Gannon commented while watching the replay that Williams "gave up on the route" at the end, whereas his defender finished it out and caught the ball. Just another example of Williams not finishing routes/plays. How many reps will he need before he improves on these issues?

There we have it.....21 yard TD ....initially credited to the wrong Williams. ....it's up now....TD for Tyrell

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo not adding in his points. Seems like they've been slow all day
They temporarily had two lines for "T. Williams", one with 5/28/0 and the other with 1/21/1. If not for the fact that I saw it on Red Zone, I would have been worried it was one of those John/Jaron Brown situations, and the Chargers had some backup TE named Thomas Williams.

Was about to take a screencap when it got fixed.

On the Chargers' 4th play from scrimmage today, Rivers was intercepted on a sideline target to Tyrell Williams. The play was reversed because the defender held Williams. However, Rich Gannon commented while watching the replay that Williams "gave up on the route" at the end, whereas his defender finished it out and caught the ball. Just another example of Williams not finishing routes/plays. How many reps will he need before he improves on these issues?
Looks like that was the last rep he needed. He's working an elite CB right now and he's basically a rookie. 

Tyrell is on pace to have a better year than Allen has ever had, DESPITE not running routes well.  What happens if he learns to become a good route runner?

He has the ability to get separation off the line and has good size, speed and hands. Those things cannot be taught as easily as route running.  
What's going to happen? He's going to be SD #1 next year too. That's what. 

I agree what he needs to get better at he can learn. He's getting better a little slower than some of us want but today is an amazing step in the right direction. He's beating Houston's #1 CB who is one of the best in the league. 

Looks like that was the last rep he needed. He's working an elite CB right now and he's basically a rookie. 
He is having a very nice game. However, he is still leaving yards on the field. He was targeted on another back shoulder sideline throw in the 3Q and failed to make the play, even though he got both hands on the ball. Even though he should have caught it, it was a positive sign that he at least recognized it was a back shoulder throw and got his hands on it, since he has had trouble with that in previous games.

He is having a very nice game. However, he is still leaving yards on the field. He was targeted on another back shoulder sideline throw in the 3Q and failed to make the play, even though he got both hands on the ball. Even though he should have caught it, it was a positive sign that he at least recognized it was a back shoulder throw and got his hands on it, since he has had trouble with that in previous games.
I saw that play to. It seemed like he turned late on it. It was close to a catch. Houston is putting their #1 CB on him so at least Houston thinks he's SD best WR right now.  

I saw that play to. It seemed like he turned late on it. It was close to a catch. Houston is putting their #1 CB on him so at least Houston thinks he's SD best WR right now.  
The Texans aren't covering him exclusively with one CB. I'm pretty sure he has been targeted with  at least 4 different DBs in coverage on him. I assume who covers him is based on where he lines up.

Just got an alert that he left the game with an arm injury. Anyone watching who can update?
He was targeted on an incompletion on which he went to the ground. He seemed to be holding his hand in pain as he walked off, but it wasn't clear exactly what happened.

The Texans aren't covering him exclusively with one CB. I'm pretty sure he has been targeted with  at least 4 different DBs in coverage on him. I assume who covers him is based on where he lines up.
My bad. I only saw the TD catch and one other catch. #21 was on him both those times and the back shoulder throw he should have caught as well. 

an owner in my dynasty league just texted me he is out for the year but think he is just ####### with me. cant find anything online.

an owner in my dynasty league just texted me he is out for the year but think he is just ####### with me. cant find anything online.
one of the guys in my league did that to me when Reed first went down on Thursday. Reed of course came back and had a monster game. Post-game news updates of his condition notwithstanding. Hoping Williams is OK.

51/790/5 through 11 games.

4.6/72/.44/game.

That puts him on pace for 71/1130/7.

47/758/5 in 9 non Denver games.

5.2/84/.55/game

If we use that pace, he projects to 77/1210/8.

Week 13 Vs bucs

Week 14 At panthers

Week 15 Vs raiders

Week 16 At browns

He could blow that pace out of the water. 

There is no question that Williams is having a great season. He has made himself a lot of money this year.

The thing that is frustrating is that he has potential for much more. He is leaving yards and plays on the field every week. He doesn't play up to his size and athletic ability and doesn't really seem to have that innate ability many great WRs have to adjust to the ball at the end of a route or in the air. As a result, he doesn't win many contested catches. He doesn't run great routes, which is one reason that, despite his speed, he rarely gets good separation except on crossing routes where his defender is often impeded by others.

It is worth noting that, despite his speed and size, the Chargers have rarely targeted him deep; I don't mean 20+ yard throws, I mean true deep shots, like they attempt with Benjamin and used to attempt regularly with VJax and Floyd. I think part of the reason they haven't done that is a lack of trust that he can go up and win a contested deep ball.

All that said, I have him in 2 of 4 leagues and will probably start him the rest of the way in both. His past 2 games, he had 11 and 14 targets, respectively, his 2 highest target games of the season. That trend combined with his schedule is really appealing. It feels like he is close to a real breakout game of 30+ points. I want him in my lineup for that.

There is no question that Williams is having a great season. He has made himself a lot of money this year.

The thing that is frustrating is that he has potential for much more. He is leaving yards and plays on the field every week. He doesn't play up to his size and athletic ability and doesn't really seem to have that innate ability many great WRs have to adjust to the ball at the end of a route or in the air. As a result, he doesn't win many contested catches. He doesn't run great routes, which is one reason that, despite his speed, he rarely gets good separation except on crossing routes where his defender is often impeded by others.

It is worth noting that, despite his speed and size, the Chargers have rarely targeted him deep; I don't mean 20+ yard throws, I mean true deep shots, like they attempt with Benjamin and used to attempt regularly with VJax and Floyd. I think part of the reason they haven't done that is a lack of trust that he can go up and win a contested deep ball.

All that said, I have him in 2 of 4 leagues and will probably start him the rest of the way in both. His past 2 games, he had 11 and 14 targets, respectively, his 2 highest target games of the season. That trend combined with his schedule is really appealing. It feels like he is close to a real breakout game of 30+ points. I want him in my lineup for that.
He's improving in that area. In the beginning of the season he wouldn't attack the ball at all. He had a defender draped all over on that 21 yards TD catch but he didn't really have to attack the ball. It was more of a great pass by Rivers. Still had a great CB hanging on him when he caught it. He's super raw because he came from a small school and he is basically a rookie. It might be his superior athleticism and unique opportunity that's carrying him right now but he's still having an amazing season and he can improve his technique. I mean he's 24 years old. Good chance he ends the year with 75-1200-8 line.........It's crazy to me that people can actually spin that into he's leaving too much yards on the field to trust him but that particular poster is dialed into what's going on in SD so you have to respect that opinion.

To me he projects as a #1 WR in this league if he improves his routes and reads at the line. If you want to trade that away because you don't think he will improve at 24 years old coming from a small school, go for it I wouldn't blame you. I'll hold on to him and see if he starts blowing up even more next year because my bet is he'll improve even more......

Milkman said:
It's crazy to me that people can actually spin that into he's leaving too much yards on the field to trust him but that particular poster is dialed into what's going on in SD so you have to respect that opinion.
Well, he never said the second part of the bolded statement.

They temporarily had two lines for "T. Williams", one with 5/28/0 and the other with 1/21/1. If not for the fact that I saw it on Red Zone, I would have been worried it was one of those John/Jaron Brown situations, and the Chargers had some backup TE named Thomas Williams.
For the record, there are actually three T. Williamses on the Chargers roster, though Tourek and Trevor both play defense

So glad I won't be missing this money maker in the playoffs  :D .

With his schedule, QB, target share, and athleticism, he is a top 12 WR the rest of the way. Even if you don't believe he has a significant role next year (which I would disagree with), that is worth a late first to a competing team with a hole at WR.

If healthy is it crazy to start Watkins and Marshall over him in Standard next week?
If it helps, I have TW and Watkins (and Hilton) and I'm definitely starting Tyrell this week. It would take a really strong performance from Sammy to bump him out of my lineup at this point. Other than the Denver games, the guy has simply produced every week. And he has a great playoff schedule to boot.

Oof. This could be the worst of all possible worlds if he plays but is limited.

Tyrell Williams' shoulder injury is a right labrum issue.

The Chargers have insisted Williams will play this week, but the Union-Tribune San Diego considers his status for the rest of the year "wait and see." Williams played through a torn right labrum his final season at Western Oregon in 2014. It can severely limit a receiver's catch radius. Without knowing how the injury will affect him, Williams should be considered on the WR2/3 borderline for Week 13.

Williams played through a torn right labrum his final season at Western Oregon in 2014.
How did he perform before with this injury compared to before? Never a good thing to be injured, but for us, it's good that there is at least a baseline here to better know how this is going to affect him.

That said, tearing it again can't be good news.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night...

I've had shoulder issues myself and while a torn labrum is no small deal, if the other rotator cuff muscles around the socket are strong enough, the shoulder can still function. 

Also, big difference between a completely torn labrum and one where there may be just fraying. 

Have a feeling he'll play through this and get it taken care of surgically in the offseason.

Have a feeling he'll play through this and get it taken care of surgically in the offseason.
Likely. But also in the realm of possibility is that he and the team go for the surgery now, given SD's chances at playoffs are near nil -- yes, they are not mathematically eliminated, still a lot of football to play, and Any Given Sunday, but not only are they deep down the list for a wildcard, they are also deep down the pile in their own division. If there's pain, or he simply is too limited to be anything but a decoy, why not shut him down?

Tyrell Williams (questionable, shoulder) returned to Chargers practice on a limited basis Friday and said he will play Sunday versus Tampa Bay.
"I should be 100 percent by Sunday," Williams said. The San Diego Union-Tribune confirmed Williams is dealing with a torn labrum in his shoulder, so he isn't going to be 100 percent. "I feel good so far," Williams said. "I feel fine. I feel fine." Added coach Mike McCoy, "He’s played with this before," referring to Williams' labrum tear in college. "He understands what he’s dealing with. He knows what he can and can’t do." Dec 2 - 1:57 PM

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune via rotoworld

If he is active do you play him?

I picked up Inman and may play him over Williams no matter what but curios what others might do in the same situation?

As of right now, I am starting him in 2 PPR leagues. In one I have limited alternatives; in the other I am tentatively starting him over Demaryius Thomas and Michael Thomas.

As of right now, I am starting him in 2 PPR leagues. In one I have limited alternatives; in the other I am tentatively starting him over Demaryius Thomas and Michael Thomas.
I still like M Thomas in a shootout over Williams who will most likely play, although a risk. Like Sig, I won't talk you out of it. He's been hot! But so is Michael Thomas.

Users who are viewing this thread