What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black Lives Matter to disrupt Twin Cities Marathon (1 Viewer)

I'll be out there Sunday. The race starts at 8:00 and the protest is supposed to commence a few blocks from the finish line at 10:00. Let's allow for the possibility that the protesters have shaky time-management skills, so they don't actually get to the course until 11:00. Even then, I'll still be a minimum of 30 minutes away. That's plenty of time for whatever happens to happen before I arrive. Either things will have petered out by the time I reach the end, or the race will have gotten black-flagged (the race directors won't have any other option if things turn violent). Either way, I don't expect to personally encounter any trouble. Worst case scenario is probably something like having to run on somebody's lawn to avoid a blockade. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, and it would give me a pretty awesome race story.

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!
How much do you think it costs to fly to Minnesota and stay in a hotel downtown the weekend of the race?
That's a ####### "you" problem. Is Minneapolis the only city with marathons? No. Stay close to home and run in one of the many many marathons offered locally. Good lord. Even if somebody does fly in and stay in a hotel, they aren't going to be physically harmed.
while I agree that this is not terrorism, it is also not just an ordinary marathon:

The event’s 10-mile race, which will serve as the 2015 USA 10-Mile Championship, will begin at 7 a.m., while the marathon, which serves as the 2015 USA Masters Championship, is scheduled for 8 a.m.
Even more reason to clear the route and keep it clear.

Good for you Ivan! Good luck on your run.

BTW, anyone who uses the word terrorism to describe this is no better than the black NFL running back who compares his unsatisfactory contract to slavery or a lynching. Some words are just out of bounds for the situation.

I'll be out there Sunday. The race starts at 8:00 and the protest is supposed to commence a few blocks from the finish line at 10:00. Let's allow for the possibility that the protesters have shaky time-management skills, so they don't actually get to the course until 11:00. Even then, I'll still be a minimum of 30 minutes away. That's plenty of time for whatever happens to happen before I arrive. Either things will have petered out by the time I reach the end, or the race will have gotten black-flagged (the race directors won't have any other option if things turn violent). Either way, I don't expect to personally encounter any trouble. Worst case scenario is probably something like having to run on somebody's lawn to avoid a blockade. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, and it would give me a pretty awesome race story.
Good luck.

If I trained for a marathon and people were organizing to interfere, I'd be extremely pissed.

Personally I hate all protesters. They just interfere with everything, in NYC there is always a protest about something stupid bc someone wants to complain about whatever.

So if you think terrorism is too provocative a word to describe BLMs actions, what's a more accurate term to describe a the threat to ruin a public event by fear, intimidation, possible physical force or possibly all 3 to draw awareness to their cause?

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!
How much do you think it costs to fly to Minnesota and stay in a hotel downtown the weekend of the race?
That's a ####### "you" problem. Is Minneapolis the only city with marathons? No. Stay close to home and run in one of the many many marathons offered locally. Good lord. Even if somebody does fly in and stay in a hotel, they aren't going to be physically harmed.
I'm going to Chicago in two weeks to run a marathon. Probably the only one I will run in my lifetime. So for me, this is a once in a lifetime event. I've trained three years for this. Spent lots of time training. Have spent a fair amount on running gear. I will spend a fair amount on this trip to Chicago.Could I run a race here in KC? Sure. But going to another city to do this benefits my wife and I. We get to spend some well deserved time together away from our kids, which we haven't had for years.

And if something like this threatened the safety of myself and my wife, AND had the possibility of violence not 1 mile from what I trained three years for, then I would be seriously pissed.

Domestic terrorism - I don't know, probably a strong word for it. But to dismiss those who could be affected like this and treat this as a trivial event for thousands of people who are in this thing....

Man. :shrug:
Never run a marathon; have done a few halfs and 10ks....outside of shoes, what is your biggest expense?

Seems like the only benefit you are describing is a break from the kids. And I get that; I have five of them. But there are dozens of races I can participate in each year that don't require extensive travel. Sounds like Chicago is more of a getaway for you than a race. And that's cool, but don't act like the possibility of protesters would ruin three years of training. Sounds like you are reaching for outrage.

So if you think terrorism is too provocative a word to describe BLMs actions, what's a more accurate term to describe a the threat to ruin a public event by fear, intimidation, possible physical force or possibly all 3 to draw awareness to their cause?
Have they threatened physical force or intimidation or are you just reading into things?

I doubt anyone is seriously afraid or has a real reason to be. My guess is the cops will make sure the race goes on. And again there has been no physical violence by these protesters in the past. Pretty sure the whole idea is not to get shot by police.

Have they threatened physical force or intimidation or are you just reading into things?
They are threatening that people will be unable to finish the race. They don't really say how, do they? It's reasonable to assume they'd need to physically block the road. What happens if someone tries to run through their blockade?

If you're running this race I don't think it's irrational at all to worry for your safety when come in contact with these protesters.

Domestic terrorism imo.
Now lets not go overboard.
Then what would you call it? What does a completely unrelated event like a marathon have to do their cause and why would they want to ruin it?
When you start throwing around charges of terrorism at protests you cheapen the word. They aren't terrorists they are dooshes. There is a difference.
What would you call someone who harms innocent people and ruins events to draw awareness to their cause?
An #######

They are threatening that people will be unable to finish the race. They don't really say how, do they? It's reasonable to assume they'd need to physically block the road. What happens if someone tries to run through their blockade?

If you're running this race I don't think it's irrational at all to worry for your safety when come in contact with these protesters.
Jesus, just shut up :lmao:

I doubt anyone is seriously afraid or has a real reason to be. My guess is the cops will make sure the race goes on. And again there has been no physical violence by these protesters in the past. Pretty sure the whole idea is not to get shot by police.
I agree that the cops will likely stop the protesters. However, if they don't, there will be physical violence. If the protesters hand-in-hand form a barrier at mile 25, there will be runners and spectators who will try to physically break it. If the protesters are injured, it is their own fault. I don't see it any differently than a moron who runs on the field at an MLB or NFL game and gets injured when security tackles them.

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!
I'm going to Chicago in two weeks to run a marathon. Probably the only one I will run in my lifetime. So for me, this is a once in a lifetime event. I've trained three years for this. Spent lots of time training. Have spent a fair amount on running gear. I will spend a fair amount on this trip to Chicago.Could I run a race here in KC? Sure. But going to another city to do this benefits my wife and I. We get to spend some well deserved time together away from our kids, which we haven't had for years.

And if something like this threatened the safety of myself and my wife, AND had the possibility of violence not 1 mile from what I trained three years for, then I would be seriously pissed.

Domestic terrorism - I don't know, probably a strong word for it. But to dismiss those who could be affected like this and treat this as a trivial event for thousands of people who are in this thing....

Never run a marathon; have done a few halfs and 10ks....outside of shoes, what is your biggest expense?

Seems like the only benefit you are describing is a break from the kids. And I get that; I have five of them. But there are dozens of races I can participate in each year that don't require extensive travel. Sounds like Chicago is more of a getaway for you than a race. And that's cool, but don't act like the possibility of protesters would ruin three years of training. Sounds like you are reaching for outrage.
But ...it would. Pretty simple.

Here's a portion of the FBI definition of terrorism: Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion

:shrug:

The protesters really suck. I really hope they don't try to block the road. It'd be incredibly selfish to upstage a huge event where people have been training for months to complete a huge milestone. The good news is that the crowds are thick all along the route which might make it difficult to get to the street. I know I'll be there with a group of guys cheering on a friend; we sure aren't going to move out of the way to let them on the course (and hopefully nobody is dumb enough to try to remove a protester). More good news is that the police presence is generally really good for this race. They do a great job blocking off intersections and keeping people safe.

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

Personally, if a race were blocked I'd be pissed. I won't go so far as to say it would ruin 3 years of training - Chief benefitted from his training in many ways, but it would be extremely disappointing. Imagine taking a bar exam and in the middle of it a protest meant you couldn't finish, not that day and it couldn't be rescheduled for weeks. 3 years of law school wasn't ruined, but it would be extremely disappointing. And a marathon is harder to reschedule than a bar exam.

What if this was the super bowl and not just some marathon? BLM threatens to ruin the game. Still only an inconvenience?

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

Never run a marathon; have done a few halfs and 10ks....outside of shoes, what is your biggest expense?Seems like the only benefit you are describing is a break from the kids. And I get that; I have five of them. But there are dozens of races I can participate in each year that don't require extensive travel. Sounds like Chicago is more of a getaway for you than a race. And that's cool, but don't act like the possibility of protesters would ruin three years of training. Sounds like you are reaching for outrage.
Run past them. Run around them. Stop being so terminally afraid of vocal black people. The race is still on. Cops are everywhere. Man up and run it, Sally.

What if this was the super bowl and not just some marathon? BLM threatens to ruin the game. Still only an inconvenience?
And how would they do that? Do you know how heavy security is at the SB? It would be a bad idea. These folks seem to like low hanging fruit.

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

Never run a marathon; have done a few halfs and 10ks....outside of shoes, what is your biggest expense?Seems like the only benefit you are describing is a break from the kids. And I get that; I have five of them. But there are dozens of races I can participate in each year that don't require extensive travel. Sounds like Chicago is more of a getaway for you than a race. And that's cool, but don't act like the possibility of protesters would ruin three years of training. Sounds like you are reaching for outrage.
Run past them. Run around them. Stop being so terminally afraid of vocal black people. The race is still on. Cops are everywhere. Man up and run it, Sally.
Their goal is to physically stop the race. They aren't just being "vocal".

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

If they act out physically, it sounds like they will be dealt with by police. :shrug:

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

If they act out physically, it sounds like they will be dealt with by police. :shrug:
Would you consider protesters hand-in-hand blocking the course so runners can't get by acting out physically? I hope the police would stop that from happening but we haven't heard that yet from them.

BLM said they weren't going to "allow" runners to finish. You want to speculate how they might accomplish this without getting physical?

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

Would you consider protesters hand-in-hand blocking the course so runners can't get by acting out physically? I hope the police would stop that from happening but we haven't heard that yet from them.
I sure hope that doesn't happen. If it turns into a brutal game of Red Rover then yes, I want the perpetrators to be arrested. But again...you can't run around them? Oh, I get it...might destroy your PR and alter your dreams of the Olympics.

And how would they do that? Do you know how heavy security is at the SB? It would be a bad idea. These folks seem to like low hanging fruit.
They don't say how but insist it will be peaceful. It doesn't really matter. Just making the point because I'm sure the mouth breathers in here couldn't comprehend taking two steps without getting winded, much less running a marathon.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We have no plans to incite any type of violence or to be physical with any of the marathon runners. We just plan to be the finish line."
"I don’t think that us allowing them to finish the race would make them wake up enough," Turner said. "I think that life has to be disrupted. We understand the hard work that goes into it, but at the same time, when you compare that with the hard work that let’s say a Tamir Rice, who was killed before he even finished sixth grade, the hard work he had put in that just got cut short. If I’m a marathon runner, I’d much rather have my marathon not be finished than not be able to finish life because the police escalated things and killed people.”
“We definitely would be willing to talk with the Twin Cities Marathon officials," Turner said. "If they were to assist us in this fight, that could change the dynamics of what our protest looks like on Sunday...I think there’s a way we can collaborate to where possibly runners will still be able to finish the marathon.”
none of that sounds peaceful.

(•_•)

So....it sounds like

( •_•)>⌐■-■

you're doing a

(⌐■_■)

color run?

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!^&!@R!%#%!^!

ok, i suck at these

But again...you can't run around them? Oh, I get it...might destroy your PR and alter your dreams of the Olympics.
it wouldn't be difficult to completely block the course if there were enough people protesting in an organized manner, planning a blockade at choke points.

of course the police will try to prevent that, but it's going to be a difficult task.

https://www.tcmevents.org/_asset/2xj3gc/2015-MTCM-Marathon-Course-Map.pdf

Off hand, without knowing the course, there appears to be two bridges, a tunnel, and assuming the area between I-94 and 35E is built up, numerous other points where a large crowd could prevent people from going where they want to go.

I suppose, though, that the threat of a physical protest could actually end up being a benefit to runners. The adrenaline rush late in the race could help ...as you're getting tired over the final miles, you start thinking about the potential commotion at the finish. The blood starts pumping and you run with more emotion. Instead of dragging to the finish, you head in totally wired up over the possible dramatics.

I sure hope that doesn't happen. If it turns into a brutal game of Red Rover then yes, I want the perpetrators to be arrested. But again...you can't run around them? Oh, I get it...might destroy your PR and alter your dreams of the Olympics.
We basically agree then. Of course, the runners shouldn't have to run around them. The protesters have no business on the course.

If they try to impose their stated goals there will obviously be violence. Hopefully the police can arrest them all before it gets to that.

WHAT IF THEY HAVE A NUCLEAR BOMB THEY BOUGHT OFF EBAY? WHAT WOULD YOU CALL THAT?

Looking like a 60 degree day with clear skies. Should be great running weather. Good luck my man. I will be drinking somewhere near the finish line cheering you, and everyone on.

They don't say how but insist it will be peaceful. It doesn't really matter. Just making the point because I'm sure the mouth breathers in here couldn't comprehend taking two steps without getting winded, much less running a marathon.
Well as I have said if they interfere with the course they should be arrested and removed. Immediately. People work very hard for a long time to get ready for this. They deserve to finish the race if they can. And I only run when someone is chasing me.

Anyone else besides me surprised there are enough black people in Minnesota to disrupt a marathon?
That, and the fact that the people running in the marathon in Minneapolis are likely to be pretty liberal to begin with. I swear all the "college know-it-all hippies" I went to school with in MN now run marathons.

Anyone else besides me surprised there are enough black people in Minnesota to disrupt a marathon?
That, and the fact that the people running in the marathon in Minneapolis are likely to be pretty liberal to begin with. I swear all the "college know-it-all hippies" I went to school with in MN now run marathons.
Same thing they did in Seattle. Attack the people most likely to be on your side. I think they don't have the balls to go after the people who really don't give a #### about their movement. Disrupt a GOP function and then get back to me. Just one.

If these folks truly care about black lives, they should hold their demonstration Saturday night in North Mpls. They may be able to disrupt some violence that will put black people in the hospital or morgue.

These clowns did something like this this past winter in Boston. Two groups tied, strapped and bound themselves to concrete filled barrels and blocked traffic on the major interstate (RTE 93) both north and south of the city during the commute into Boston. Tied up traffic for a few hrs and delayed thousands of people getting to work. Within the traffic jam they blocked an ambulance with an elderly person heading to a Boston hospital and they had to divert to a suburban hospital, fortunately the patient did not die.

There has to be a better way to get their message across.

Users who are viewing this thread