What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Raheem Mostert, MIA (1 Viewer)

Raheem Mostert rushed 12 times for 58 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' Super Bowl LIV loss to the Chiefs, adding a two-yard reception.

No one better epitomized the 49ers’ dominant rushing attack than journeyman Mostert, who became coach Kyle Shanahan’s third and most effective lead back down the stretch of the Niners’ Super Bowl campaign. A 27-year-old ex-Eagle, Dolphin, Jet, Brown, Bear and Raven, Mostert averaged 5.6 yards per carry behind the 49ers’ road-paving offensive line during the regular season before turning in one of the best postseason rushing performances in NFL history in the NFC Championship Game. A favorite of Shanny’s, Mostert signed a new three-year deal last March. San Francisco’s backfield will remain crowded in 2020, but Mostert has made himself a legitimate candidate for 1A duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, reading this whole thread from beginning to now. Message Boards - never change!

Wondering what this guys rookie value is this year. A 2? I have him on 4 rosters and no one will really entertain swapping a 2 for Mostert.

Have to believe that Mostert is a draft day winner because of the Breida trade to Miami. 
Out of the blue, an FFPC owner offered me 2 mid-3rd rounders for Mostert 2 or 3 days ago, and I declined then thinking I’d rather had a guy who performed at a high level when given the chance last year, than 2 major dart throws (and especially in FFPC's Keep 16 format where you can’t really stash tons of rookie players from year to year). Now after today, I have to believe that Mostert is worth high 2nd, to me at least, which means he’s a definite HOLD at this point, since no one is going to pay that. 

Things are looking up today, but wait for the chickens to come home...

Nah, I've gone on at length why I like him. But you're never going to see what you is fair value for him if you roster him. If you roster him, the uncertainly of his role and his age are baked into the offers you're getting. Nobody is offering on his stat line unless they're really win now or just looking to hang around in some games cheaply; or, you got him as the piece of a trade that you wanted for other reasons (like I did...)

Have to believe that Mostert is a draft day winner because of the Breida trade to Miami. 
I guess in the sense that they didn't spend any draft capital on the position.  But McKinnon is coming back, and it sounds like the coaches definitely have a plan to use him, especially in the passing game, if (granted, a major "if") he's healthy.  They also snagged a couple of UDFAs that sound like they are solid scheme fits.  And then Coleman and Wilson are coming back too.  I think the odds are still against him being a fantasy star this year.

I guess in the sense that they didn't spend any draft capital on the position.  But McKinnon is coming back, and it sounds like the coaches definitely have a plan to use him, especially in the passing game, if (granted, a major "if") he's healthy.  They also snagged a couple of UDFAs that sound like they are solid scheme fits.  And then Coleman and Wilson are coming back too.  I think the odds are still against him being a fantasy star this year.
I’m not looking for a "star" per se. I’m looking for a solid flex weekly starter. 

I’m not looking for a "star" per se. I’m looking for a solid flex weekly starter. 
Exactly.

This might be the single most misunderstood concept in fantasy conversations and debates. Of course we'd all rather have CMC. But *after* that who are you starting, because you have to start someone. Who is that someone going to be?

passed the eye test for me down the stretch....considered the lead in a very efficient league high volume running game....over 5.5 yards per carry....ability to take it to the house but also physical....saw a Mostert comment about how he wanted to take his game to the next level as in HOF type of play moving forward....IMO a healthy Brieda was more of a concern than Coleman or McKinnon....so I saw that trade as a huge message......while I may be discounting the other backs a little too much, I think Mostert gives you top 5 upside at a considerable discount right now......expect his redraft ADP to be in the RB1 conversation in 12 teamers by start of season....sometimes you have to pot commit to some players to define your draft and I would have zero problem loading up elsewhere and then snagging Mostert as a plug and play to lead my RB's....he will be on many of my teams at his current price, and even if it starts costing more....I believe in what I saw and also not what teams always say, but what they do (trade Breida).....I may swing and miss but I'll be hitching my wagon to this guy a lot...

RAHEEM MOSTERT RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco suggests Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman are "likely to share the load on base downs".

It's significant speculation since Maiocco had his finger on the pulse of Matt Breida's dwindling status with San Francisco throughout the pre-draft process. Maiocco also suggests Jerick McKinnon could be a "huge addition for his ability to catch passes" assuming he's closer to full health this year. Coach Kyle Shanahan preferred a hot-hand approach throughout the regular season and in three playoff tilts, so it should come as no surprise that the offense is likely to stick with that method following Breida's trade. Jeff Wilson and UDFAs JaMycal Hasty and Salvon Ahmed are also options if McKinnon isn't cleared as the team's No. 3 back. Mostert (RB30) and Coleman (RB41) are currently being drafted roughly five rounds apart in offseason Best-Ball and redraft leagues, keeping the latter as a value-based mid-round option.

Apr 28, 2020, 11:29 AM ET

It's as simple as this.  Average yards per carry in 2019: Mostert 5.6; Breida 5.1; Coleman 4.0; Wilson 3.9.  Breida now gone.  McKinnon has not played in 2 years.  Who gets the most carries? 

49ers RB Raheem Mostert said he's "put on some more muscle" in order to shoulder a 200-carry workload this season.

There's obviously no guarantee he's handed 200-plus carries given coach Kyle Shanahan's infamous "hot hand" approach and rampant speculation Tevin Coleman will "share the load on base downs" as early as Week 1. A #TeamPreseason darling for some time, Mostert finally burst onto the scene in Week 13, exploding for 117/715/11 and 6.1 yards per carry on the ground over the Niners’ last eight games (three postseason performances included). Even so, his 25 total targets across 19 appearances will likely limit his upside in any inevitable backfield committee. Matt Breida's departure at the very least vacates an additional 142 touches ripe for the picking.

SOURCE: David Lombardi on Twitter

May 20, 2020, 3:49 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows speculates that 49ers RB Raheem Mostert "could see a deal get done" ahead of teammate George Kittle's looming extension.

"The 49ers also could ink extensions with two guys who could see new deals this year: [Kendrick] Bourne and running back Raheem Mostert," Barrows writes. "Mostert, in fact, could see a deal get done ahead of Kittle’s."

https://theathletic.com/1849342/2020/06/02/49ers-mailbag-what-deal-gets-done-after-george-kittle-jamycal-hasty-as-rb3/?source=emp_shared_article

Rotoworld take:

The Athletic's Matt Barrows speculates that 49ers RB Raheem Mostert "could see a deal get done" ahead of teammate George Kittle's looming extension.

"The 49ers also could ink extensions with two guys who could see new deals this year: [Kendrick] Bourne and running back Raheem Mostert," Barrows writes. "Mostert, in fact, could see a deal get done ahead of Kittle’s." Due $3.15 million in 2020, any extension this offseason would certainly lend confidence to Mostert's 4th/5th-round ADP as the overall RB25 ahead of Tevin Coleman (RB42, 9th/10th round) in what's expected to be a "hot hand" committee. Jerick McKinnon and Coleman, for what it's worth, are also entering the final year of their respective deals. Mostert will still likely begin the season as San Francisco's 1A starter.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 2, 2020, 11:16 AM ET

I'm having a really hard time putting my thumb down on him.  Clearly separated himself as the best back on a great rushing offense.  Ran all over the Packers in the playoffs--leads you to believe he's got more monster game potential.  

The top 4 backs last year ran it 397 times.  Breida opens up 120+ touches.  Outside of weeks 2-3, Wilson didn't do anything.  Assuming it's a ~60-40 split for most of the touches, Mostert should be around 235-240 rushes.  Assuming his efficiency drops some with the increased workload, I think something like 240 for 1120 is reasonable.  

All 3 backs had ~20 catches last year, so maybe 60 to go around.  Trying to think conservatively--you're looking at maybe 30 catches for ~250?  

He had 10 regular season TD's with another 5 in 3 post-season games.  Probably 8 is a safe number, but there's no reason he can't hit double digits again with an increased workload.  

Having a tough time ranking Mostert, I really want to move him up, but I keep having Mike Shanahan-igans flashbacks. With the exception of Belichick, nobody played more games with his RB's. I have a feeling Mostert gets about 60% of the carries though, which would make him a mighty fine flex play.

One is less optimistic about his chances for a career renaissance given the current world health situation. He's 28. This is his time or never. He could easily be the lead back in SF. There's no doubt about his talent. It's been demonstrated. Best burst I've seen in a while.  

Tweeted by Mosterts agent via twitter:

After months of unproductive talks with the 49ers about fairly adjusting Raheem Mostert's contract (which paid him for special teams) we have requested a trade. Disappointing that it would come to this for a guy who led all NFL RBs in YPC & helped lead them to the Super Bowl.

Jesus. I thought he'd be a 49er for a long time.

Rotoworld take:

Raheem Mostert requested a trade from the 49ers.

It's one of the only leverage points he has over the 49ers right now as he looks to increase his salary up from $3 million. Mostert was the most efficient back in San Francisco last season and ultimately took over playoff games during the 49ers' Super Bowl run. His agent, Brett Tessler, notes that Mostert's contract was negotiated when he was just a core special teamer, not when he was entrenched as the 49ers' Week 1 projected starter. A trade is possible, but it would make sense for both parties to reach an agreement on a slight pay bump before the season begins. It seems helpful to be a running back in Kyle Shanahan's scheme, but what do we know. If Mostert is ultimately traded, Tevin Coleman's average draft position (RB43) would be a complete smash for fantasy football. It's also worth noting Jerick McKinnon (ACL) has yet to resume cutting. 

RELATED: 

Tevin Coleman

SOURCE: Tessler Sports

Jul 8, 2020, 5:08 PM ET

A lot of big names on Twitter are bashing him for this, and it's a really bad look on their part.  As @The Frankman mentioned, he's being paid as a special teamer.  I know paying RB's tons of money isn't a winning strategy, but get outta here with paying him like that. 

I can't imagine they will refuse a small $2M-ish bump to show their young players they reward production.

Then again, if they seemed open to that contract adjustment they wouldn't have come close to making this public. It means they aren't getting what they want behind closed doors and think public opinion and pressure will help get it done. Shanahan is a genius but always seemed kind of petty. He turns these random guys into starter-worthy producers effortlessly, I wonder if he just says "screw him". I personally think it's better for morale and culture to just up his pay a bit, but if that thought process flew in that FO we wouldn't be hearing the trade request.

I do have to say as as a Hasty/Salvon owner....my curiosity is piqued after I had gotten worried that potentially no training camp would hurt UDFA chances.

He just signed an extension about a year ago to be a backup running back/special teamer. That is all I really have to add. It doesn't look good for either side now. The 48ers look petty, Mostert looks like a man really without a home in football now (this is really late in the offseason).

Ugh. As someone who rosters Mostert, this is terrible news. I was not playing to win, and was thinking of putting him on the block before this, now it's pennies on the dollar. Good thing I have Hasty (I do not have Salvon as his 4.6 and slow game highlights were a clear deterrent.) But he was my backup running back.

Yikes.

He clearly was the best back. It was frustrating to watch them try to get Brieda, McKinnon and Coleman more touches... like they really didn't believe Mostert out producing them was real. 

Anyone really believe he gets moved?

Philly didn't want to give Freeman 4 million. TB maybe. Pittsburgh maybe

Thinking about buying low with the hope this blows over though

Anyone really believe he gets moved?

Philly didn't want to give Freeman 4 million. TB maybe. Pittsburgh maybe

Thinking about buying low with the hope this blows over though
Interesting. Best situation I can see is San Francisco. I think he's also seeking an extension on top of being the highest paid back. SF is only committed to him through this year, if I'm not mistaken. 

Interesting. Best situation I can see is San Francisco. I think he's also seeking an extension on top of being the highest paid back. SF is only committed to him through this year, if I'm not mistaken. 
Hes signed through the 2021 season.

Hes signed through the 2021 season.
Yeah, I just saw that actually. One quibble with his agent's posturing. He really just signed the deal and signed it to be a backup RB, if I'm also not mistaken. He had already seen the field in significant measure as a backup RB when he signed. It's just that he won the job. He's under contract. Management is going to be hesitant to extend an RB into his thirtieth year of age. That's just not the way the NFL works.

As Mike Clay on Twitter put it and I put it an hour ago before I saw he did: The best shot for Mostert at getting relevant touches a game is to stay a 49er.

Yeah that's what I meant. Asking if anyone thought he was actually getting traded. From what I can see I don't think he will be

The buy low would be in the hopes that he stays with the 9ers as their lead back

Don't really want him if he is getting moved

Yeah, I just saw that actually. One quibble with his agent's posturing. He really just signed the deal and signed it to be a backup RB, if I'm also not mistaken. He had already seen the field in significant measure as a backup RB when he signed. It's just that he won the job. He's under contract. Management is going to be hesitant to extend an RB into his thirtieth year of age. That's just not the way the NFL works.

As Mike Clay on Twitter put it and I put it an hour ago before I saw he did: The best shot for Mostert at getting relevant touches a game is to stay a 49er.
Let's also remember prior to last season he was  27 year old journeyman on his 5th team with a grand total of 42 carries and 6 receptions in his career...at the time the Niners gave him that deal it was a very nice score for Mostert and a solid leap of faith for the Niners...I see no reason why the Niners need to budge here.

Let's also remember prior to last season he was  27 year old journeyman on his 5th team with a grand total of 42 carries and 6 receptions in his career...at the time the Niners gave him that deal it was a very nice score for Mostert and a solid leap of faith for the Niners...I see no reason why the Niners need to budge here.
As much as I like Mostert, this really is the case right here.

Lol Mostert is nuts. I always thought he was way better than teams were utilizing him, but then he finally finds a HC who gets that... and he goes prima donna and demands a trade/holdout? 

Lol Mostert is nuts. I always thought he was way better than teams were utilizing him, but then he finally finds a HC who gets that... and he goes prima donna and demands a trade/holdout? Buddy sign the deal.
Problem for him is, it's likely his last and he wants to get the most squeezed out of it. Second problem for his is, he sort of signed one right before last year, if I'm not mistaken.

... and he's getting paid like a special teamer instead of a lead back. RBs have a short life and he's not naive enough to believe that if he continues this production into the end of his team the Niners will reward him for being a "good soldier". So he's asking to be paid more like a RB, I don't think throwing in an extra couple million ($2.575 mill to maybe $4.575?) is going to cash strap them.

... and he's getting paid like a special teamer instead of a lead back. RBs have a short life and he's not naive enough to believe that if he continues this production into the end of his team the Niners will reward him for being a "good soldier". So he's asking to be paid more like a RB, I don't think throwing in an extra couple million ($2.575 mill to maybe $4.575?) is going to cash strap them.
Or they realize they grabbed a guy who was on his fifth team at age 27 with literally zero production and put him in a very run-friendly system and turned him into a productive back and they believe they can find another one.

Is his hope that he gets traded to a team where he becomes a backup again, making his salary seem more reasonable?  Because I'm not sure I see a team who will give something of value and then give Mostert the raise he is looking for in the best of seasons, let alone in one where there is a very real worry about what the future salary cap will look like.

What's weird about Mostert is that Shanahan has said that he nearly had to pry him off of special teams to be the feature back. Maybe he's just an introspective, interesting guy like Arian Foster was. Perhaps he also sees more money playing special teams until he's thirty-five rather than being a starting running back for two years.

I dunno. The whole situation is odd. There's no lead back or big dog assured totes. He signed a contract before last year to extend him, well over what a special teamer makes. I think it's just the logistics of football biting a running back in the butt again.  

Users who are viewing this thread