What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (7 Viewers)

That's why I felt a clarification was needed.  I've played in all kinds of leagues with all kinds of rules.

Well, I'm guessing he wouldn't have much value in leagues that don't award points to white RBs either.

Pretty sure I've never encountered a league that doesn't award receiving yards to RBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I can't speak to the popularity (or lack thereof) for leagues that depress the value of runningbacks as receivers.  When I first started playing, RB only received points related to running the ball, and receivers only received points related to catching the ball.  These days I only play in PPR but I don't assume what your league rules are.  Variety is the spice of life.  

The more your league rules value the receiving exploits of a runningback, the more valuable CMC is.

i owned DeAngelo Williams in various leagues as a Panther from 2010 to 2014, so I get the allure of having the "between the 20s" guy in this offense.

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR draft yesterday went with pick 5.4 as the #16 RB off the board. He is the RB 2 on that squad, D.Freeman is #1.

Other RBs available were K.Hunt (5.5, RB 17), L.Miller (5.9, RB18), C.Hyde (5.10, RB19) & J.Mixon (5.11, RB20).  Dalvin Cook was drafted at 3.9 as the #9 RB off the board to a big, big Vikings homer.

Considering what was available, I think I would only have taken Hunt over McCaffrey at that spot.

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR draft yesterday went with pick 5.4 as the #16 RB off the board. He is the RB 2 on that squad, D.Freeman is #1.

Other RBs available were K.Hunt (5.5, RB 17), L.Miller (5.9, RB18), C.Hyde (5.10, RB19) & J.Mixon (5.11, RB20).  Dalvin Cook was drafted at 3.9 as the #9 RB off the board to a big, big Vikings homer.

Considering what was available, I think I would only have taken Hunt over McCaffrey at that spot.
I chose CMC over hunt in the 3rd. Almost got hunt in the 4th anyway when he went one pick ahead of me. Anyway,  I think CMC is more talented and thus could take the league by storm. Hunt is in an Andy Reid offense which is alluring for RBs but I just don't think he's anything special so I can see a year like Spencer ware had last year. I see them both have floors as rb2 but CMC has a higher ceiling. Just my opinion. 

I chose CMC over hunt in the 3rd. Almost got hunt in the 4th anyway when he went one pick ahead of me. Anyway,  I think CMC is more talented and thus could take the league by storm. Hunt is in an Andy Reid offense which is alluring for RBs but I just don't think he's anything special so I can see a year like Spencer ware had last year. I see them both have floors as rb2 but CMC has a higher ceiling. Just my opinion. 
In our PPR I took him at 4.6.  Gurley went 3.4, Fournette went 3.7, Crowell 3.9, Miller 3.10, and Montgomery 4.2

Other RB rookies of note: D Cook went 6.10, Mixon 7.3, and I grabbed Hunt at 7.5

Edit to add: Start 2 QB league

McCaffrey may be the most interesting player in football this season. He's certainly one of the most interesting in fantasy football.

I prefered Hunt because guaranteed touches and less competition for goal line touches. J.Stewart and Cam make me tap the brakes on McCaffrey's upside.

Love them both and not surprised they are being drafted right around each other.

Cam Newton said the Panthers are "expecting big things" from Christian McCaffrey.

"Whether battling injuries or not, [Curtis Samuel and McCaffrey] are being forced into fire," Newton added. It’s fair to say Newton has more weapons than he’s ever had in his career and he even called the idea of it "scary" on Tuesday. The Panthers reportedly have tailored their playbook to CMC, so the Stanford rookie has RB1 upside even without getting a massive workload. He shapes up as a risky RB2 against the 49ers on Sunday.

Source: Panthers.com

Sep 5 - 6:21 PM

Depends on the league, depends on the scoring format.

It's not complicated guys.  CMC's value increases the more your league rewards what a RB does as a receiver.  Conversely his value decreases the more your league scoring emphasizes what a RB does on the ground and devalues what they do as a receiver.  

In leagues where a RB is only rewarded for what he does as a result of handoffs, he's simply not going to score enough consistently enough to warrant drafting.
I have never seen a league that doesnt reward receiving yards from anyone.

I have never seen a league that doesnt reward receiving yards from anyone.
Me neither.  I have played in leagues where running backs only got points for "running stuff" and receivers only got points for "receiving stuff".  Under the scoring layout for those leagues, receivers didn't get points for rushing yards on things like end-arounds or other rushing attempts, and running backs didn't get points for receiving yards.

ETA: for those interested, I believe the rules came from Robert Sklar's 1991 book "Rotisserie League Football".  I know the league I'm remembering was formed in the early 90s and we were all Roto baseball nerds.

FWIW, I am not a McCaffrey owner, but sure wish that I was.
I have him in one league, and happy that I do.  I'd prefer him over any of the backs on the team in my other league, but he got snapped up in the rookie draft portion of that league before I had the chance.  In PPR, he has the chance to be truly special.

Me neither.  I have played in leagues where running backs only got points for "running stuff" and receivers only got points for "receiving stuff".  Under the scoring layout for those leagues, receivers didn't get points for rushing yards on things like end-arounds or other rushing attempts, and running backs didn't get points for receiving yards.

ETA: for those interested, I believe the rules came from Robert Sklar's 1991 book "Rotisserie League Football".  I know the league I'm remembering was formed in the early 90s and we were all Roto baseball nerds.
Are you really in here referencing 1991 as if it matters to any pertinent fantasy football discussion in 2017? Come on, man.

Just stop

Now I finally see your point. Christian McCaffrey was undraftable in 1991. I agree.

10 months off from the SP and see that folks are still prone to hyperbole and when called on it would rather continue to go to extremes instead of just saying me culpa, maybe I was being a bit extreme..  Gotta love the internets.

I took McCaffrey over Hunt and Hyde in a 14 teamer despite having both ranked higher on my board, which I put together about 2 hours before the draft.  This year is, BY FAR, the least amount of prep work I've done for FF.  As in, I did virtually none. Just went with my gut and picked the guy I wanted to watch play the most.

There is rightfully a good bit of variance on expectations for McCaffrey this year.  But I'm buying into the hype and think he is gonna be a big part of the Panthers offense this year.  I love the way he runs and he offers a little more value in return yardage leagues as I believe he is slated to as the primary punt returner.

We'll see what happens but with all of the uncertainty, to me, after the top handful of RBs I think the kid has a chance to finish as a RB1 in PPR.  TDs could be the difference and there is a lot of competition for those in this offense.  But I think they will move the ball all year and he will have his opportunities.

Guys, nobody is interested in this wang waving contest.  I've played under league rules that you haven't.  No point of contention to be had.  You were wrong and I don't need you to admit it.  Let's get back to McCaffrey.

BassNBrew said:
Got side with Stat here.  He's un-draftable in my Bionic Leg Superflex League that awards 1 pt per yard FG, punt, and kickoff distance and deducts two points for every time you touch the ball with your hands.
Wouldn't punters start every punt from a -2 in that system?

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Christian McCaffrey is expected to handle 12-15 touches in Week 1 at San Francisco.

"He's not going to start, but he's going to get about 12 to 15 touches," were Glazer's exact words. McCaffrey drafters in season-long leagues were likely hoping for a bit more, but it's further confirmation that Jonathan Stewart will maintain a big role. Stewart is an underrated RB2/flex play in a favorable matchup against the 49ers. McCaffrey will handle punt returns, so the Panthers want to keep him fresh and explosive for an all-purpose role.

1,745+ posts and 53,000+ views in this thread before McCaffrey even takes a regular season snap.

I think that might be a new record in the Shark Pool for a player thread.

Gotta say, I think the Panthers are nuts having this guy return punts.  Anyone that owns him has to be worried every time a gunner draws a bead on him

This is the point where knuckleheads chime in with "but then I wouldn't get his return yardage points", like everyone plays in leagues that reward punt return yards

Gotta say, I think the Panthers are nuts having this guy return punts.  Anyone that owns him has to be worried every time a gunner draws a bead on him

This is the point where knuckleheads chime in with "but then I wouldn't get his return yardage points", like everyone plays in leagues that reward punt return yards
Don't own McCaffrey but do own the Panthers D and he's a breath of fresh air compared to Ted 'I'm a coward that fair catches everything' Ginn. That guy had world class speed and the balls of a knat.

And yeah, they are nuts having him return kicks or punts.

They use him enough that I don't want him back there. 

Interesting to see his usage and where they line him up. He's almost at 10 in my .5ppr and given how little he has done I am happy with that as a floor.

Anyone counting on him as a RB1 should be nervous but I think he'll be an ideal ppr RB2/flex.  

Users who are viewing this thread