What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (5 Viewers)

It would be nice if teams realized the importance of rest on soft tissue injuries and didn't let players return too early. Dalvin and Fournette and Fuller need to rest for 1 week longer than whatever they think they need. Get them back to 100%, especially if you're a contending team. 

Also, this seems to be the fault of the conditioning coach, the guys you hear about putting in extraordinary amounts of work usually don't have these soft tissue injuries.

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Cook seems to have suffered a setback to his injured hamstring. He was seen on a side field Thursday but will likely be listed as a DNP for the second day in a row. Unless he can get in a limited session on Friday, Cook will likely be ruled out for Sunday's game in Philadelphia. Latavius Murray has struggled immensely over the past two weeks but would still be worth starting as a flex option in the likely event that Cook sits.
This is nuts...

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean they have to legit let the man heal. Latavius Murray can be a ok 2-week fill in while Cook heals his hammy. The man already coming back from an ACL tear, no sense having him gut it out there. 

I shoulda never listened to Bloom's podcast two weeks ago were he and whomever was his guest thought it a spectacular idea to trade away DJ for Cook.  :ptts:

Was that recommendation for dynasty leagues or redraft?
Redraft. I'm pretty sure the exact quote (and this was after week 3) was, "I've seen enough!" And the suggestion was to trade him for Cook and I believe Fornette may have been mentioned. I sent the offer after about ten seconds because I though it was a great idea. It's my fault. I'm a grown man. Just had to vent a little.

How do you feel about Boone and/or Thomas if Cook proves unable to stay healthy? Or will we continue to watch C.J. "The Hamburglar" Ham get work in the passing game.
Boone and Thomas barely played in the most recent game so it's hard to judge them at all yet. 

I think Boone is the better all around Rb right now.

Roc Thomas has some speed and burst to his game. He did have one positive run against the Rams. One of only like 3 good runs the whole game so it stood out.

The Rams defensive line and the Vikings offensive plan did not lead to them using the Rb much. While it doesn't really get better this week against the Eagles there are some easier games for the Vikings ahead.

The offensive line is still terrible. Just hoping they can start playing more as a unit as they gain experience playing together. They will still be bad though.

If I only had one roster spot I would take Boone.

I think Roc Thomas does bring something different than Murray and Boone do though. So maybe he gets more burn in a scenario where Cook is out. Maybe Thomas runs some of the outside plays better than Murray and Boone?

That is what I saw on Roc Thomas one play. That he is more similar to Cook or can run the plays they would use with Cook but not Murray or Boone.

I still think Boone is the better option overall. He is more Murrays back up though while Thomas could get short term burn if Cook is out.

Roc Thomas was drafted to replace Jerrick McKinnon is what the Vikings were hoping by adding him.

How do you feel about Boone and/or Thomas if Cook proves unable to stay healthy? Or will we continue to watch C.J. "The Hamburglar" Ham get work in the passing game.
Oh sorry I forgot to mention the Vikings need someone who can block. Therefore Ham continues to play a lot until they trust these other Rb to be able to do that. I think Boone failed one of those iirc.

I mean they have to legit let the man heal. Latavius Murray can be a ok 2-week fill in while Cook heals his hammy. The man already coming back from an ACL tear, no sense having him gut it out there. 
They have him on a "pitch count" already thus admitting he's not healed. He admitted he's not 100%. Anybody can see he's not himself and in his current state not much better than Murray anyhow. Take care of your young RB for Pete's sake.

It would be nice if teams realized the importance of rest on soft tissue injuries and didn't let players return too early. Dalvin and Fournette and Fuller need to rest for 1 week longer than whatever they think they need. Get them back to 100%, especially if you're a contending team. 

Also, this seems to be the fault of the conditioning coach, the guys you hear about putting in extraordinary amounts of work usually don't have these soft tissue injuries.
I agree. Isaac Bruce had a bunch of hamstring issues early in his career. He changed his training and his diet and never had issues after that.

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) remained sidelined at Friday's practice.

Coach Mike Zimmer expects to list Cook as questionable, but we're not expecting him to play against the Eagles after three-straight DNPs to round out the week. Latavius Murray would fill in and be a bottom-barrel RB3/FLEX.
For the love of gawd sit him for 2 weeks. It's still early in the season play for the long haul.

I don't think we can trust him this week if we have options. Personally, I am going to go with Dion Lewis instead. Hope they let him fully heal.

I don't think we can trust him this week if we have options. Personally, I am going to go with Dion Lewis instead. Hope they let him fully heal.
Yeah, it seems like this might be a case where we people need to see him produce before trusting him- same with Fournette. The risk of putting him in and get 2 carries is too much.

Hypothetically speaking, would any of you give Freeman and Lindsey for Cook in a ppr?

Hypothetically Mixon, White , A Jones and Thompson would be on your team also

:unsure:

Hypothetically speaking, would any of you give Freeman and Lindsey for Cook in a ppr?

Hypothetically Mixon, White , A Jones and Thompson would be on your team also

:unsure:
I think I actually would. We don’t know how the Denver sitch is gonna shake out and if Cook can get healthy you know he is the man. You are good with Mixon and White to run the risk. 

Great buy low candidate.  Don't know if owners are prepared to sell unless they're struggling big time.

For current owners, it'll be like getting Cook in a trade when he's finally 100%. I'm stashing and have no interest in selling right now.

Cook had a limited practice on Friday after not practicing Wednesday and Thursday. He is listed as questionable and will be a game time decision on Sunday.

Based on how he played against the Rams, I don't really want to see more of that if Cook isn't healthy yet. I suppose it is possible that the long week has enabled him to recover though.

I agree with folks taking a wait and see approach with him this week. The GTD does leave open the possibility that he plays this week.

The Vikings started Bradford last year when they clearly should not have. I feel like it is pretty safe to say they shouldn't have played Cook last week, so I do not really trust their judgement when it comes to having players recovering from injury play.

As luck would have it, I have someone looking for Cook. I'm asking for Evans and R. Freeman for Cook and Cooper. RBs are Gurley, Michel, Thompson and Ekeler so the notion of getting Evans is pretty damn tempting.

As luck would have it, I have someone looking for Cook. I'm asking for Evans and R. Freeman for Cook and Cooper. RBs are Gurley, Michel, Thompson and Ekeler so the notion of getting Evans is pretty damn tempting.
Why doesn't this ever happen to me? The guys in my league view Cook like he has the plague. (dynasty)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Dalvin Cook (hamstring) is unlikely to play Sunday at Philadelphia.

Per RapSheet, Cook would need "an impressive turnaround" to play on Sunday, unsurprising after the Vikings inexplicably played him on a short week in last Thursday night's loss to the Rams. Cook aggravated his hamstring pull in that game, predictably, and Latavius Murray will operate as Minnesota's Week 5 lead back with UDFAs Mike Boone and Roc Thomas working in behind him. An injury risk coming out of Florida State before tearing his ACL as a rookie, Cook has been one of the biggest early-round fantasy busts of the 2018 season. The Vikings need to let his hamstring heal before running him back out there.

Injury risk in high school, and FSU? Hmm...?. I can’t recall any substantial injuries Cook experienced. He was a bell cow back at FSU. 
Tore his labrum twice and missed a game due to an ankle sprain

Not saying two non football injuries and a mild ankle sprain makes him an injury risk. from what I recall that was not a big knock on him on draft day, it was his behavioral history

what concerns me about Cook is this hamstring issue after an acl tear. 

It's somewhat common, and almost always the result of strength deficits/imbalances/muscle coordination issues. It's one reason why many of these guys arent expected to pick right up where they left off when they come back. it could be something he deals with throughout the season or just needs to be shut down for a month to let it heal so it doesnt lead to something worse. 

Playing on a weakened/injured hamstring can lead to a re-tear of the acl. the hamstrings kind of "help" the acl in a way, and if they are weak or not being used effectively then that "helping" can be inverse as well. the acl should not help the hamstrings. re-tears are almost always due to muscle imbalances

Murray had 74% of the offensive snaps against the Eagles.

Roc Thomas had the first rushing attempt of the game running outside to the right. He had some ok plays and had 14 offensive snaps.

Mike Boone only had one snap.

As I said before Thomas is more the change of pace to Murray and Boone. He played more than Boone did with Cook out.

I think Boone would have played more than Thomas if both Cook and Murray were out and long term a better Rb. 

The coaches do like Thomas though as evidenced by the most recent game.

He looked awesome but he also looked undersized. I have no doubt he has the ability but as we all know, there are some super athletes out there playing linebacker. He reminds me of the Steve Slaton - Jahvid Best type player. A great undersized guy who has lingering injury concerns. He actually reminds me a lot of Deangelo Williams which is a HUGE compliment.
:coffee:

what concerns me about Cook is this hamstring issue after an acl tear. 

It's somewhat common, and almost always the result of strength deficits/imbalances/muscle coordination issues. It's one reason why many of these guys arent expected to pick right up where they left off when they come back. it could be something he deals with throughout the season or just needs to be shut down for a month to let it heal so it doesnt lead to something worse. 

Playing on a weakened/injured hamstring can lead to a re-tear of the acl. the hamstrings kind of "help" the acl in a way, and if they are weak or not being used effectively then that "helping" can be inverse as well. the acl should not help the hamstrings. re-tears are almost always due to muscle imbalances
Well said.  More than likely, there must have been some residual "functional" weakness of his hamstrings after his ACL rehab, which is unusual because in my experience the hamstrings actually get stronger than the contralateral side during the post-op ACL process.  

The Vikings handled his injury very poorly, but unfortunately is typical in the NFL; it seems as if hamstring injuries are viewed as a "minor" injury with players being rushed back too soon.  Too many times, the player suffers a reinjury and it turns into a season long battle.  Hamstrings are too important to athletic function to take lightly.  Looking back at Barkley's hamstring injury in the preseason, there was all this concern about how the injury must have been "more severe than was being let on" because the Giants essentially shut him down for several weeks, when the reality is that the medical staff handled it perfectly (at least it seems so far...knock on wood as a Giants fan).

I get it that the NFL season is really short compared to other sports, so missing 4-5 weeks with a hamstring injury in the NFL is a major portion of the season, but the time it takes the body to heal doesn't take that into account, we know (approximately) how long it takes a muscular injury to heal from a physiologic standpoint, and nothing can change that no matter how much we wish for it (or at least stem cell technology becomes perfected).

Well said.  More than likely, there must have been some residual "functional" weakness of his hamstrings after his ACL rehab, which is unusual because in my experience the hamstrings actually get stronger than the contralateral side during the post-op ACL process.  

The Vikings handled his injury very poorly, but unfortunately is typical in the NFL; it seems as if hamstring injuries are viewed as a "minor" injury with players being rushed back too soon.  Too many times, the player suffers a reinjury and it turns into a season long battle.  Hamstrings are too important to athletic function to take lightly.  Looking back at Barkley's hamstring injury in the preseason, there was all this concern about how the injury must have been "more severe than was being let on" because the Giants essentially shut him down for several weeks, when the reality is that the medical staff handled it perfectly (at least it seems so far...knock on wood as a Giants fan).

I get it that the NFL season is really short compared to other sports, so missing 4-5 weeks with a hamstring injury in the NFL is a major portion of the season, but the time it takes the body to heal doesn't take that into account, we know (approximately) how long it takes a muscular injury to heal from a physiologic standpoint, and nothing can change that no matter how much we wish for it (or at least stem cell technology becomes perfected).
Someone who speaks my language...  :wub:  Let's be best friends lol

Would you any of you trade J. Howard for Cook? I also have Zeke, Mixon, Dion, and Ekeler at RB...guy with Cook offered the trade.

Users who are viewing this thread