What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (4 Viewers)

Cook avg 8.9 yards a carry tonight, avg 10+ for most of the night. If this was Chubb this thread would be on fire about how he's the greatest back in football against a really good Clemson D.

Tex

Cook looked great last night. Is an LT-lite comp that far off ?  LT looked a bit thicker in the lower half and could run inside much better than Cook.  

FSU junior RB Dalvin Cook rushed for 108 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries in Friday's 45-7 win over Boston College.

Nice rebound game for Cook, who was held to 65 yards on the ground by NC State last time out. The 6-foot, 200-pounder wasn't able to break out for one of his trademark blink-and-you'll-miss-it touchdown bolts -- his long run went for 30 yards -- but he did notch an easy 19-yard scoring run with just over two minutes remaining in the first half. On that one, he glided around to the right before cutting up field and making one cut to reach the end zone untouched. Cook needs 19 more yards to set the school career record for rushing. He figures to surpass Warrick Dunn at some point in next weekend's game Syracuse. For the season as a whole, Cook has now rushed for 1,242 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Was my favorite RB for this class and is now running away with it, 192 yards and 4 TDs with the fourth quarter to play yet 

He's one of the RBs I'd love to get on the Panthers. I think we've got too tough of a road to make the playoffs (@Seattle and then @Oakland looks daunting the next two weeks), so we may be in the conversation for Cook. I'd rather get McGlinchey/Cam Robinson/Derek Barnett and then Freeman/Chubb in the 2nd but I wouldn't be disappointed at all in Cook.

i just don't want Fournette. I think he could be fine but sometimes he gets stuffed too much and I'd worry about taking him that early. 

He's one of the RBs I'd love to get on the Panthers. I think we've got too tough of a road to make the playoffs (@Seattle and then @Oakland looks daunting the next two weeks), so we may be in the conversation for Cook. I'd rather get McGlinchey/Cam Robinson/Derek Barnett and then Freeman/Chubb in the 2nd but I wouldn't be disappointed at all in Cook.

i just don't want Fournette. I think he could be fine but sometimes he gets stuffed too much and I'd worry about taking him that early. 
Stubbs, I am a FSU grad and live in NC. I am all in with Cooks!

Freeman may not come out this year.

Tex

Freeman may not come out this year.

Tex
Has he said that? He's a junior and most mocks have him in the second (I've even seen late first). At an injury prone position, I couldn't imagine much reason to go back for his senior year and be one more year away from post-rookie contract.

Has he said that? He's a junior and most mocks have him in the second (I've even seen late first). At an injury prone position, I couldn't imagine much reason to go back for his senior year and be one more year away from post-rookie contract.
I read that because he's not having the type of year he was expecting that he may return to better his draft stock. Performance wise he"s ranked at #35.....currently. Most mocks are either outdated or not in-tune with current information about the players performance. 

Just something to watch. I would be very cautious about banking on him leaving for the 2017 draft.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that because he's not having the type of year he was expecting that he may return to better his draft stock. Performance wise he"s ranked at #35.....currently. Most mocks are either outdated or not in-tune with current information about the players performance. 

Just something to watch. I would be very cautious about banking on him leaving for the 2017 draft.

Tex
He would be insane not to leave. Cook could be the first back taken. 

Florida State junior RB Dalvin Cook rushed for 153 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries in the school's 31-13 win over Florida.
He added another 26 receiving yards on three catches. Cook dominated in-state opponents during his time with the Seminoles. We have listed Cook as the top running back in the nation thanks to his big play ability and consistent control of the team's rushing totals. Cook, who still has at least one more game to play, will receive questions about his shoulder injuries throughout the draft process, but he is so so good. Cook deflected questions about the NFL draft following the school's victory.

Gandalf said:
He would be insane not to leave. Cook could be the first back taken. 
I'd give the return to FSU chance at 0%.  Jimbo was kissing him on the head after the game, former players and current staffers were hugging and congratulating him on the sideline for a great career, even the stadium big screen thanked him.  He's gone.  It's criminal that he won't end up in New York for last year or this years performance.

Giants need to draft this kid if he's available at the end of the 1st. Clinton Portis is the floor and LT2 is the ceiling for DC4.

:sehorn:

Wish I had a top 2 pick. 
Yup I traded for a bad teams 2017 first in the offseason since I didn't have much at rb and was hoping for either Chubb or cook. Well that team was in the spot to get the #1 pick for most of the year until week 17 when they beat the third worst team which moved one team ahead of them by record and then lost the tiebreak with the team they just beat so it moved back to the third pick. I don't like my chances of getting him now unless one of the WRs have a very good combine 

Yup I traded for a bad teams 2017 first in the offseason since I didn't have much at rb and was hoping for either Chubb or cook. Well that team was in the spot to get the #1 pick for most of the year until week 17 when they beat the third worst team which moved one team ahead of them by record and then lost the tiebreak with the team they just beat so it moved back to the third pick. I don't like my chances of getting him now unless one of the WRs have a very good combine 
If you're lucky maybe someone will make a mistake and take McCaffrey first or second.

The team with the top 2 picks has Zeke and Bell and nothing else. Hopefully Julio or AJ will look awfully tempting.

I'd give the return to FSU chance at 0%.  Jimbo was kissing him on the head after the game, former players and current staffers were hugging and congratulating him on the sideline for a great career, even the stadium big screen thanked him.  He's gone.  It's criminal that he won't end up in New York for last year or this years performance.
I was talking about Freeman not Cook.

Tex

Florida State running back Dalvin Cook fumbled the ball once every 63.8 offensive touches.
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler compiled the list. Cook is one of our favorite running backs in the class, if not the top, but the fumble rate is definitely a cause for concern. In terms of statistics, lost fumbles are not as important as raw fumble numbers. DeAngelo Henderson out of Coastal Carolina has the worst fumble rate of the class at 51.1.

Source: CBS Sports 
Feb 10 - 10:08 AM

Cook is easily the best RB in this class.  Fournette has a lot of talent, but his getting nicked up concerns me.  McCaffrey is very good too, but I don't think he's quite up there with Cook.  Same with Foreman.

Cook is easily the best RB in this class.  Fournette has a lot of talent, but his getting nicked up concerns me.  McCaffrey is very good too, but I don't think he's quite up there with Cook.  Same with Foreman.
I view Fournette the same as I do Gronk and Cam. Big, strong, talented and overpowering guys who the defensive players will just light up every chance they get. They don't have much wiggle and they are huge targets for defenses to hit. You'll love them when they are healthy but hate it when they are often injured.

Tex

Based on multiple sources I've read Cook's shoulder is far and away a bigger potential medical red flag than any nicks Fournette has suffered.

Dealt Cook today for Hopkins and Gio. No matter how high you are on Dalvin, it's worth exploring what he might be worth in trade if you own him in a devy league. Guess this goes for the 1.01 pick to an extant as well although owning that isn't as risky as owning Cook specifically.

Dealt Cook today for Hopkins and Gio. No matter how high you are on Dalvin, it's worth exploring what he might be worth in trade if you own him in a devy league. Guess this goes for the 1.01 pick to an extant as well although owning that isn't as risky as owning Cook specifically.
Great value. Guy in my league wants the 1.01 plus another late 1st for Hopkins

On the Rotoworld Football Podcast, Josh Norris compared FSU RB Dalvin Cook to DeAngelo Williams.
Norris notes the draft media gets out of hand with comparisons for prospects, specifically pointing to comparisons like Jamaal Charles for Dalvin Cook. In other instances non-first round prospects get compared of hall of famers. It goes back to issue with comparisons, is it style, role, athletic or talent-based? In this instance, Cook has balance similar to Williams, can work between the tackles or run outside, and offers passing down work in some situations. Williams led the NFL in touchdowns with 20 in 2008.

Source: Rotoworld 
Feb 13 - 8:55 AM

Pro Football Focus compared Florida State RB Dalvin Cook to former Jacksonville Jaguars RB Fred Taylor.
"In his prime, Taylor had elite, game-changing ability, and that is what separates Cook from the other backs in this class. He can turn the slightest crease into a big play, and he can contribute as a weapon in the passing game," notes the analysis team. PFF refers to Cook as possessing "prodigious potential." He will have questions to answer regarding off-field concerns at the NFL Scouting Combine, but figures to put in some impressive results in the athletic testing portion of that equation.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Feb 23 - 2:39 PM

MMQB's Albert Breer believes Florida State RB Dalvin Cook's "off-field questions" will prevent him from going ahead of LSU's Leonard Fournette.

In 2015, Cook was suspended after getting charged with punching a woman in the face outside a Tallahassee bar. Cook was found not guilty of misdemeanor battery in the incident, which wasn't caught on tape. In 2014, Cook received a citation for a violation of animal care after allegedly leaving three pitbull puppies chained up by the neck in an unsheltered area. Those are reportedly not the only encounters Cook had with police at Florida State.

Source: MMQB

FSU RB Dalvin Cook was likened to Kansas City Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles by NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah.
"At times I've used Chris Johnson (as a Cook comp). I don't think (Cook) has that same top juice. I ended up settling on Jamaal Charles. I like it, I don't love it," said Jeremiah. Rotoworld's Josh Norris disagrees with this specific comparison. Norris compares Cook to DeAngelo Williams.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 23 - 10:18 AM

Of FSU RB Dalvin Cook, an NFC executive said: "Fumbles and arrests are a bad combination."
"He's got a lot of ability but he's got on the field problems with ball security and multiple arrests off of it," the exec said. "You have to decide if he will be responsible with more money and more time on his hands. If you have any doubts, just wait around for another running back because there will be plenty this year." While that's true, we'd point out that none of the other running backs have Cook's skill level. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares him to Edgerrin James. "Cook lacks the power that you may find with some running backs in this year's draft, but he is a homerun hitter with a resume featuring monster games against his most highly regarded opponents," Zierlein wrote. "Cook creates for himself with elusiveness and speed, but his value could be diminished by injuries, character and issues in pass protection."

Source: NFL.com 
Mar 1 - 4:27 PM

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes FSU RB Dalvin Cook has three previous shoulder surgeries to his name dating back to high school.
We all know Cook is extremely talented, but the medicals at the NFL Combine are crucial for his evaluation. Shoulder injuries have caused other ball carriers to drop in the draft, namely Chris Polk and Lamar Miller. Cook has played through upper and lower body ailments over the last few seasons, arguably carrying the Seminoles offense in that time. He has balance to win after contact and obvious big play skills.

Source: CBS Sports 
Mar 1 - 8:46 AM

The Green Bay Packers will meet with FSU RB Dalvin Cook.
Due to their extended run through the playoffs, the Packers will not be drafting until No. 29 on Day 1. Cook will be long gone by that point in time, but Green Bay is doing its due diligence nonetheless. Interviews will be key for the Florida State star, as he will have to answer questions regarding past off-the-field issues.

Source: NFL Draft Insider on Twitter 
Mar 2 - 5:35 PM

FSU RB Dalvin Cook recorded a 40-yard dash time of 4.49 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday.
Just a by-the-way in terms of perception, Cook -- viewed by all as an electric, dynamic athlete -- put in a time of 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Christian McCaffrey -- generally questioned more athletically -- beat him with a 4.48-second mark of his own. Filling out Cook's work in Indianapolis, the 5-foot-10, 233-pounder put in a vertical jump of 30.5 inches and a broad jump of 116 inches while hoisting the bar 22 times on the bench press. He is a potential top-10 pick come April's draft.

Source: SB Nation 
Mar 3 - 6:44 PM

Users who are viewing this thread